daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #21
Chi Bri

Likes (Received): 0

like the hotel as a separate entity. putting it next to Sears is a total juxtaposition. in such close quarters, the two buildings just dont work together.
Chi Bri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #22
Chi Bri

like the hotel as a separate entity. putting it next to Sears is a total juxtaposition. in such close quarters, the two buildings just dont work together.
Chi Bri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #23
maxwellimus

yeah, I'm not a fan of the hotel being so close to the building either. Just think about all the wind effect bottle necking between those two buildings. And also, the view of your hotel will be someone's messy desk at work.
maxwellimus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #24
maxwellimus

yeah, I'm not a fan of the hotel being so close to the building either. Just think about all the wind effect bottle necking between those two buildings. And also, the view of your hotel will be someone's messy desk at work.
maxwellimus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #25
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Adrian Smith delivers yet another stunner. He's very much at the forefront of the sustainable design movement. The design is absolutely beautiful, especially the base, which resembles whirls of water flowing from the bottom of the tower. I just wish it were situated in a more prominent location.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #26
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Adrian Smith delivers yet another stunner. He's very much at the forefront of the sustainable design movement. The design is absolutely beautiful, especially the base, which resembles whirls of water flowing from the bottom of the tower. I just wish it were situated in a more prominent location.
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #27
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Very excited about this.

Love the sustainable hotel idea right next door, I think it would make everyone think about the Sears (Willis) Tower differently. Great design too, could be a little taller even. But I'm not complaining, I think it's a great idea. The whole upgrade is a wonderful idea, it 100% needs to happen to keep the tower competitive on the world stage. Energy upgrades are critical.

The only real problem with the hotel, is in a post-9/11 era, who is going to want to stay in a hotel next to one of the world's tallest buildings; which was constructed in another era of building design? It would certainly make me uneasy if I were a tourist. Safely is sadly one part of the Sears Tower that can not be adequately upgraded. I'm not saying someone is going to try to destroy the tower, but if there was another attack on a tall building it would probably be on Sears.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #28
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

great project. im sure this will help the environment.
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #29
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

anyone else excited that there is actually a new development thread? wooo hoooo
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #30
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

My excitement was almost immediately dampened by the Spire news/rumors. And while I like this proposal a lot, I'm still thinking the new hotel is REALLY shoe-horned into the site. Reminds me of how Hotel Palomar squishes up next to the AMA Building. Would have liked to see them put the hotel one block east, where the Sears parking garage is, but imagine they don't own that site.

Last edited by Flubnut; June 26th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #31
MDguy

Looks great!

The new tower looks completely different than Sears. Seems a bit random, still great though

edit: Shouldn't this be called Willis Tower Renovation? Or have they decided to stick with the real name?

Last edited by MDguy; June 27th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #32
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
My excitement was almost immediately dampened by the Spire news/rumors. And while I like this proposal a lot, I'm still thinking the new hotel is REALLY shoe-horned into the site. Reminds me of how Hotel Palomar squishes up next to the AMA Building. Would have liked to see them put the hotel one block east, where the Sears parking garage is, but imagine they don't own that site.
what spire news?

I dont mind the buildings being shoe horned next to each other..
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #33
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

the design of the hotel may be exciting, but it doesn't look good squeezed like that next to sears. very bad location, IMO.
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #34
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Like others have said, the tower design is very cool looking, but its location isn't appropriate if they want to make an impact.
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #35
AmericanSkyscraper22

Likes (Received): 9

very interesting proposal
AmericanSkyscraper22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #36
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

It's not spire news, but spire speculation that the project might get shelved depending on what the finance authorities overseeing it in Ireland think of it (Ireland has set up a "bad bank" to house "bad loans").
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #37
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

The renovation of the Sears/Willis Tower is a good idea, but why have they decided to add a 50-storey hotel to the mix? I don't even like the hotel and do not even want any structure built on the block that the Sears Tower stands in. And I wouldn't want to convert any portion of the Sears Tower to any other use. I used to support an addition to the south of the Sears Tower, but after I started a thread on it and that thread was closed, I began to oppose any addition to the Sears Tower.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #38
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

What are they thinking putting the hotel so close to the Sears Tower?!?! The hotel looks terrible being squeezed on to the city block Sears is on. I've never been against proposed building in Chicago. But, this one I think is not a good Idea. Sears is so massive and and Icon it doesn't deserve to be sharing it's foot print next to some cheap looking hotel. Adrian Smith i forgave you for the terrible job you did on the spire for Trump you mess up Sears you better leave Chicago...
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #39
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28191

Beautyful tower. It doesn't match with Sears at all, but who cares.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #40
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

I have mixed feelings on this tower, although I really don;t have a problem with it being so close to Sears. The skyline of Chicago is already very eclectic and closed in on itself, so this tower not "matching" Sears doesn't really matter, because the only tower that really matches Sears aesthetically is Hancock. And the area over near the Trump and the area near Aqua are also much more crowded than the area directly around Sears, so nothing new there.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote