daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #121
KWT

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
Nothing can beat Indo-Persian arch
In terms of Islamic architecture, that is the arch of the Abbassids of Baghdad (of course, there is an earlier prototype that can be found in Sassanid architecture)...the "Indo" part is an appropriation that happened way after the fact.

A beautiful appropriation/interpretation, none the less.
KWT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #122
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT View Post
In terms of Islamic architecture, that is the arch of the Abbassids of Baghdad (of course, there is an earlier prototype that can be found in Sassanid architecture)...the "Indo" part is an appropriation that happened way after the fact.

A beautiful appropriation/interpretation, none the less.
Sure, and the arch was invented someplace else, etc. etc. All architecture contains elements taken from pre-existing styles, so I fail to see why the Indo-Islamic architecture is especially considered an "appropriation".

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #123
KWT

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Sure, and the arch was invented someplace else, etc. etc. All architecture contains elements taken from pre-existing styles, so I fail to see why the Indo-Islamic architecture is especially considered an "appropriation".
It's not especially considered an appropriation (I would dare say that Islamic architecture, in general, is one big beautiful appropriation) but in your post you called this arch Indo-Persian, and in that way you had bypassed the originator and named the arch after a later-interpretation of itself....It's like calling ancient Greek architecture "Neo-Classical", even though the latter style came about in the 18th century!

I know, it's just an arch, but I'm nitpicking :P
KWT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #124
Marathaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT View Post
It's not especially considered an appropriation (I would dare say that Islamic architecture, in general, is one big beautiful appropriation) but in your post you called this arch Indo-Persian, and in that way you had bypassed the originator and named the arch after a later-interpretation of itself....It's like calling ancient Greek architecture "Neo-Classical", even though the latter style came about in the 18th century!

I know, it's just an arch, but I'm nitpicking :P
Oh. I think we misunderstood each other. My use of the word "arch" was short for "architecture".

2019:

Quote:
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #125
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

India: "Home" of the Classical Islamic Architecture in South Asia

Charminar - Hyderabad - INDIA

India's Independence Day - August 15, 2009

Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #126
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Nothing can beat Indo-Persian arch
Hurts you that much to say "Mughal" architecture?

Must hurt even more to see Quranic inscriptions all over the Taj I presume?

Or am I wrong here?
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #127
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

There is nothing really called indo persian architecture. all these mughal architecture we see in india are actually persian/islamic architecture.
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #128
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT* View Post
Hurts you that much to say "Mughal" architecture?

Must hurt even more to see Quranic inscriptions all over the Taj I presume?

Or am I wrong here?

I have read Marathaman posts before, he is a good guy. I think he just made a mistake
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #129
Marathaman

2019:

Quote:

Last edited by Marathaman; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #130
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Lahore's old city is one of the best maintained Mughal sites in the world.

Shahjahan was a Mughal Emperor and the Taj was built in Mughal India under his rule. Saying Indo-persian is basically saying Mughal but its interesting that you use that word in an attempt to take away the credit that belongs to Muslims of the Subcontinent. Mughals were obviously a mixture of Iranian/Aryan/Turkic. Which is what a lot of modern day Pakistanis are in a way. Punj ab in Persian means 5 water or land of 5 rivers.

Don't believe me Shahjahan was Mughal? Here this is how the world remembers him.

Quote:
Shahab-ud-din Muhammad Shah Jahan I (full title: Al-Sultan al-'Azam wal Khaqan al-Mukarram, Abu'l-Muzaffar Shihab ud-din Muhammad, Sahib-i-Qiran-i-Sani, Shah Jahan I Padshah Ghazi Zillu'llah [Firdaus-Ashiyani]) (also spelled Shah Jehan, Shahjehan, Urdu: شاه *جہاں; January 5, 1592 – January 22, 1666) was the ruler of the Mughal Empire in the Indian subcontinent from 1628 until 1658. The name Shah Jahan comes from Persian meaning "King of the World." He was the fifth Mughal ruler after Babur, Humayun, Akbar, and Jahangir. While young, he was a favourite of Akbar.

Last edited by *UofT*; August 26th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #131
Marathaman

Seriously UofT, please spare your BS race theories for the skybar, where they will mercifully not be recorded for posterity.
Every kid knows that the Mughals built the Taj. Now please, let people post their pictures.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #132
syedahsaninam
BANNED

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
I think you're just feeling jealous because the Taj isn't in Pakistan. and India gets the best of everything including Islamic architecture.
Dude! whats thats suppose 2 mean! Muslims like us built the taj mahal! if it weren't of us, India would be an un-noticed piece of crap! and be sides, I think Turkish arch is wayyyy better than Mughal arch!
syedahsaninam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #133
syedahsaninam
BANNED

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Seriously UofT, please spare your BS race theories for the skybar, where they will mercifully not be recorded for posterity.
Every kid knows that the Mughals built the Taj. Now please, let people post their pictures.
And I think UofT has a point! Mughals built the taj, But they also made far better achievements in whats now Pakistan! like example, Lahore walled city a spectacular compared 2 the taj!
syedahsaninam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #134
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4952

arguments aside

stunning architecture

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #135
k2rulezz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Hiran Minar is set in peaceful evirons near Lahore in Sheikhupura, Pakistan. It was constructed by Emperor Jehangir as a monument to Mansraj, one of his pet deers

The structure consists of a large, almost-square water tank with an octagonal pavilion in its center, built during the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan; a causeway with its own gateway connects the pavilion with the mainland and a 100-foot-high minar, or minaret.

Raj20 liked this post
k2rulezz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #136
k2rulezz
BANNED

Shrine of Bibi Jawindi at Uch Sharif, Pakistan

Uch or Uch Sharif is located in 75 km from Bahawalpur in Punjab province, Pakistan. Uch is also known as "Alexandria at the Head of the Punjab", is an historical city in Pakistan.

Uch Sharif is a very old town. It is believed that it was founded in 500 BCE. Some historians believe that Uch was there even before the advent of Bikramjit when Jains and Buddhists ruled over the area. At the time of invasion by Alexander the Great, Uch was under Hindu rule." Some historians believe that Mithankot or Chacharan Sharif was the settlement of Alexandria founded by Alexander the Great.

In 710, Muhammad bin Qasim conquered the city and during the Muslim period Uch was one of the centres of Islamic studies of South Asia. There are several tombs of famous mystics (Sufis) in Uch, notably the tombs of Syed Jalaluddin Bukhari and his family. These structures were joined by a series of domed tombs; the first is said to have been built for Baha’ al-Halim by his pupil, the Suharwardiya Sufi saint Jahaniyan Jahangasht (1307-1383) the second for the latter’s great grant daughter, Bibi Jawindi, in 1494 and the third for the latter’s architect.

Raj20 liked this post
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #137
k2rulezz
BANNED

Uch Sharif

Raj20 liked this post
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #138
k2rulezz
BANNED