daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1921
Urbicus

Likes (Received): 1251

It's a very small suburban development, so I don't see the lack of 'activation' as a particular issue.
Urbicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1922
dallastexjr
WHY NOT? Project

Likes (Received): 216

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1226325994726

Byford key to WA's building hotspot Serpentine Jarrahdale

by: Amy Wilson-Chapman
April 13, 20122:13PM

AFFORDABILITY and access to infrastructure have helped Serpentine Jarrahdale become the most popular place for building homes in WA.

The area had a population growth of 6.9 per cent during the 2011 financial year, which was well above the state’s rate of 2.4 per cent.

That, coupled with more than $108 million worth of residential building work during the period, made it the Housing Industry Association’s number one building and population “hotspot” in WA.

Armadale wasn’t far behind at number two in the state with more than $206 million spent and a population growth of 5.4 per cent.

A “hotspot” is a local area where population growth beats the national rate of 1.4 per cent and the value of residential work was more than $100 million.

WA building guru Dale Alcock said it wasn’t surprising Serpentine Jarrahdale had topped the list, but believed it was the suburb of Byford that was the hotspot.

Comparing the suburb to Ellenbrook, because it was mostly a “fresh” Greenfields development, Mr Alcock said land affordability and choice was helping drive development.

“There’s certainly a number of competing estates within Byford and the public are probably getting a larger lot for the dollar out in Byford,” he said.

The affordability of the area was highlighted by the comparative amount spent in Wanneroo during the 12 month period.

Though often touted as the state’s fastest growing local government, the area was knocked off its top spot in the survey – which it held for two years in a row – coming in at third in the state and 16th nationwide.

More than $140 million was spent in Wanneroo North-East and the population grew by 5.4 per cent.

Just west of that, Wanneroo North-West grew by 4.7 per cent and more than $235 million was spent, which is $127 million more than in Serpentine Jarrahdale.

And, while some may think Byford was a long way out of the city, Mr Alcock said it was comparatively close to some of the northern suburbs being developed up near Yanchep.

“It actually is quite well connected out there now,” he said, adding it was about the equivalent of the northern suburb of Currambine.

The ease of getting to Tonkin Highway and the Kwinana freeway had helped to make it more attractive to new home owners, he said.

“I don’t think you can underestimate transport linkage when Tonkin Highway was punched through down to Thomas Road that puts a whole different perspective on your approach on the suburb,” he said.

All the WA spots were outdone by Canberra City, which was the country’s number one “hotspot” with more than $131 million worth of work and a 39.6 per cent population growth.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #1923
dallastexjr
WHY NOT? Project

Likes (Received): 216

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/the-...-1226326543775

The narrow Perth streets causing mayhem

by: Glenn Cordingley and Ashlee Mullany
April 14, 20122:02PM

THEY are the skinny streets causing big headaches for motorists.

Narrow roads and dedicated laneways around Perth's suburbs are proving a nightmare to drive through, with some only 3m wide - half the width considered acceptable by today's standards.

And with the average family car growing in size over the past 20 years, motorists are feeling the squeeze more than ever.

Space is so tight in some suburbs that residents struggle to get in and out of their own driveways, prompting complaints to local councils.

The Sunday Times has obtained a list of nightmare strips from a number of local governments, where some of the roads are just wider than the average footpath.

The City of Vincent has a number of 3m-wide and under-width "rights of way", which were dedicated as roads years ago when the City of Perth was the responsible council.

The Land Administration Act requires a road to be at least 6m wide. The Transport Minister must give dispensation for 5m.

Vincent chief executive John Giorgi confirmed his council had several narrow streets well below current limits, which were first created for residents during subdivisions.

"As a result, many of the roads in inner-city areas are under-width by today's standards," he said.

"Modern traffic volumes and increased vehicle sizes were not anticipated at the time they were created.

"The problem we have is with visitor and resident parking, which leads to complaints over footpath and road obstruction.

"Unfortunately, in some of the little streets, it is neighbour versus neighbour, which doesn't go down too well."

The average family Holden Commodore and Toyota Corolla sedans are now 105mm wider than they were 20 years ago, leaving little room for error when navigating through the cramped streets.

In the Town of Claremont, at least five roads are less than 6m wide, including Anstey St, Caxton Rd, Queen St, Minderup Close and Wilson St.

"We have received complaints from Anstey St and Caxton Rd regarding on-street parking problems, not enough space for passing traffic and difficulties in reversing from driveways," a council spokeswoman said.

In West Leederville, parking has been restricted along the most narrow streets to stop traffic chaos, 0including Argyle St, Bernard St and Caddy Ave.

The City of Stirling's manager of engineering design, Terence Pailing, said Matera Way in Stirling, Short St in Joondanna and avenues in Inglewood and Mt Lawley were the most narrow.

"In the UK, residential streets with low traffic volumes are typically 5.5m in width," Mr Pailing said.

"On-street parking can actually be advantageous in some circumstances, as it can act as mobile traffic calming where motorists are required to slow down to negotiate these parked vehicles."

Ruth St, Perth, resident Sarah McAteer, 38, said she actually liked living on a narrow street just 4m wide because it had a "European feel to it".

"The only issue is the parking, but other than that the rangers do what they can," she said.

PERTH'S SKINNY STREETS

Amore Lane, Perth 3m

Anstey Street, Claremont 5m

Caxton Road, Claremont 5m

Edith Street, Perth 4.9m

Laroche Lane, North Perth 3m

Irene Street, Perth - 4.9m

Ruth St, Perth 4m

How The Vehicles Have Grown

Holden Commodore Sedan:

1992: 4850mm (length); 1794mm (width); 1403mm (height)

2002: 4891mm (length); 1842mm (width); 1450mm (height)

2012: 4903mm (length); 1899mm (width); 1471mm (height)

So in 20 years the car is 53mm longer, 105mm wider and 68mm higher.

Toyota Corolla Sedan:

1992: 4195mm (length); 1655mm (width); 1365mm (height)

2002: 4365mm (length); 1695mm (width); 1470mm (height)

2012: 4545mm (length); 1760mm (width); 1475mm (height)

So in 20 years the car is 350mm longer, 105mm wider and 110mm higher.

Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon:

1992: 4780mm (length); 1930mm (width); 1875mm (height)

2002: 4890mm (length); 1940mm (width); 1915mm (height)

2012: 4950mm (length); 1970mm (width); 1905mm (height)

So in 20 years the car is 170mm longer, 40mm wider and 30mm higher.

** Note: figures for width do not include mirrors. Add about 300mm to width with mirrors included.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #1924
stuwa
certains mots étrangers

Likes (Received): 57

What a joke.

If you want boulevard access to your house then the solution is to simply fuck off and live in a house with boulevard access.
stuwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #1925
JWPJ

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbicus View Post
It's a very small suburban development, so I don't see the lack of 'activation' as a particular issue.
Until one day, the whole street's been redeveloped any it's car park entrances as far as the eye can see...

And I agree with stuwa, what's the bet that if the road were widened the residents would all be complaining about the hoodlums racing up and down their street?

Last edited by JWPJ; April 15th, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
JWPJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #1926
samboy

Likes (Received): 421

LOL, this must be one of the most pointless articles iv'e read in a while.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1927
ryan79
Destorying our history

Likes (Received): 379

A new low in pointlessness.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1928
c_avdas

Likes (Received): 184

slow news year
c_avdas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1929
Urbicus

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPJ View Post
Until one day, the whole street's been redeveloped any it's car park entrances as far as the eye can see...
As opposed to the current driveways and garages as far as the eye can see?

There is no need for a Dome and Friendlies Chemist in every little medium density development, what we need is more residential space.
Urbicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1930
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 430

They'd be trucked in the UK and Europe, ha
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1931
JWPJ

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbicus View Post
As opposed to the current driveways and garages as far as the eye can see?

There is no need for a Dome and Friendlies Chemist in every little medium density development, what we need is more residential space.
It's a little different having 1 dwelling versus 11 -- my point is, one day that street will all be built out, and you don't want to see 4 story buildings with lobbies and garage entrances, but nothing to to for the 100s of people now living on the street. Just saying.
JWPJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:46 AM   #1932
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 579

Mandurah Junction

I think construction of Mandurah Junction has commenced.
An apartment development next to the Mandurah Train Station.

Found the following written on the LandCorp site, if a mod could resize the pic that would be good, I got no idea how but it gives an indication of what it will look like.

---------------------------------------
Mandurah Junction will transform a 15ha site located next to Mandurah train station into a high quality residential development for up to 2,000 people, offering a vibrant community with a distinctive laid-back Mandurah vibe.

The development will be pedestrian and bicycle-friendly and retain significant public open space featuring creative public art.

With 9,500sqm of retail and commercial space available on completion, shops and cafes will be a feature of the development, enabling residents to enjoy a range of activities close to home.

A variety of housing choices will be offered with high sustainability and efficiency standards to help in reducing ongoing household energy and water costs. Mandurah Junction’s proximity to the train station will assist in reducing household transport costs.

LandCorp has secured $2 million of funding under the Federal Government’s Housing Affordability Fund. These savings will be passed onto eligible homebuyers of Stage One residential lots.

Construction of the new Mandurah Junction development is now underway.

Works will include minor modifications to entry roads into Mandurah Train Station car park, which is adjacent to the new development.

While parking within Mandurah Station will not be affected by the site works, unauthorised parking in or around the entry roads and within the Mandurah Junction construction area is not permitted to ensure safety. Bus services to and from the Train Station will carry on as normal.

Construction will take place between 7am to 5pm weekdays, and 7am to 2pm Saturdays. We estimate site works to be completed by October 2012, and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM   #1933
hack404

Likes (Received): 309

That should be in the regional development thread.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:39 AM   #1934
Sanj
Melbourne quality poster

Likes (Received): 939

Hi kids,

one stage of my current project just hit the market, im going to make a couple of changes to the ads and photos but would appreciate some feedback too.

pls also forward on to anyone you know who is looking in the inner north in the $550-$700k range

http://altitudere.com.au/index.cfm?p...ertyID=2061186
This forum is evidence of what will happen if Gays and a Bollywood star are given the power to run a country. These troglodytes will run with tails between their legs and squirm for forgiveness in front of a corrupt, drama queen, hostile, semi-autocratic third world state.
Sanj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #1935
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Likes (Received): 430

great finish sanj...

for some reason this property rings a bell when we were looking... i can't remember exactly how long ago tho... strange why we didn't check it out... :o
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1936
Sanj
Melbourne quality poster

thanks

the photographer didnt take a shot of the best view imo which is from right out the front, showing the house behind the pickets, will have to get him to come back. a couple of other things i want to change as well, overall im quite happy though

btw it looked nothing like this when we bought it a couple of years ago so you might be confusing it with something else.
This forum is evidence of what will happen if Gays and a Bollywood star are given the power to run a country. These troglodytes will run with tails between their legs and squirm for forgiveness in front of a corrupt, drama queen, hostile, semi-autocratic third world state.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1937
GAbE27
phototaker

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
thanks

the photographer didnt take a shot of the best view imo which is from right out the front, showing the house behind the pickets, will have to get him to come back. a couple of other things i want to change as well, overall im quite happy though

btw it looked nothing like this when we bought it a couple of years ago so you might be confusing it with something else.
it looks pretty good. did you do any of the handy work yourself?

Do u have a floor plan? I am currently look for a bigger place, cos I am planning to knock the wife up this year while she's not looking!! haha

also looking on near maps, have you sub-divided the block yet?

Quote Ryan79: Gabe. Your like a hetero oasis in a poof desert.
GAbE27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #1938
Sanj
Melbourne quality poster

nah no work physically done by me, im terrible at DIY.

there would be one armed, legally blind old people who are better at DIY than me

yup, block has been subdivided

no floor plan unfortunately, come have a look at the house if youre interested, i think its very good value for money
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1939
GAbE27
phototaker

Likes (Received): 7

yeah I will come check it out, msg me on facebook a few days bfore the home open, otherwise I will forget!!

Have you sold off the rear block yet? can I get a discount if i buy both?? lol

Quote Ryan79: Gabe. Your like a hetero oasis in a poof desert.
GAbE27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM   #1940
samboy

Likes (Received): 421

Holy crap, I was looking for goal posts in the kitchen. Looks brilliant Sanj.

Tags
mandurahboyz