daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

MIAMI - The Magic City

I thought I'd put a few of my Miami photographs out there that I've been taking over the last year or so, although most are from a walk I took in and around Downtown Miami yesterday (Saturday) morning.

Downtown Miami itself is regularly bashed, but it's really not that bad and has improved a lot over the last 5 years or so that I've lived here. A lot of new skyscrapers have shot up and the area is gradually becoming a lot cleaner, greener and more liveable. In fact, Downtown Miami has a lot of potential and will most likely continue to improve.

I will be taking/adding many more photos of other parts of Miami-Dade County to this thread in time (including the more 'famous' parts such as South Beach).

Anyway, here goes....my first batch of photographs from in/around Downtown Miami:

From Saturday June 27, 2009

From February 2008:

.....more to follow.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Clay_Rock

Likes (Received): 2

Excellent photos! Thank you for posting them.
Clay_Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Brickell Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_Rock View Post
Excellent photos! Thank you for posting them.
Many thanks....

Here are a few more anyway (from yesterday) of the Brickell Financial District, along with a couple taken from the Rickenbacker Causeway. I also took a few shots of the Four Seasons Hotel, which at 789 feet / 240 meters is currently the tallest building in Miami:

June 27, 2009

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #4
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Magic city!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

Great buildings. I wish you had gotten more street life though, I think that's where Miami is most powerful.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Likes (Received): 126

nice thread, but why no night shots?

i want to see miami sizzilin at night, PLEASE!!!
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

@ Diskojoe
@ MNiemann

I hear ya both, but you have to take the following points into consideration:

1) Street life - Downtown Miami isn't quite the ghost town that it once was, but it does lack an abundance of street life (especially during the weekend). If I worked downtown, I would probably have taken those shots midweek, preferably during lunchtime.

2) Night shots - I love 'em too, but I wouldn't have felt safe enough at night in many of those areas I walked with ease during the day. Besides, the skyline itself is amazing at night, but downtown isn't vibrant at night (yet) and is a whole different kettle of fish to Miami Beach.

3) Lastly, we're currently in our "wet" season (hurricane season), so it's often more challenging taking photos after a certain time, because the rain can come out of nowhere and when it rains here, it RAINS!

This thread is also meant to show sides of Miami that you wouldn't normally see, outside of the glitz of South Beach.

Anyway, I plan to use this thread to dump all of my future photos of Miami in....whether day or night and from many parts of Miami-Dade County, including South Beach.

Last edited by Comfortably Numb; June 29th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
@ Diskojoe
@ MNiemann

1) Street life - Downtown Miami isn't quite the ghost town that it once was, but it does lack an abundance of street life (especially during the weekend). If I worked downtown, I would probably have taken those shots midweek, preferably during lunchtime.

2) Night shots - I love 'em too, but I wouldn't have felt safe enough at night in many of those areas I walked with ease during the day. Besides, the skyline itself is amazing at night, but downtown isn't vibrant at night (yet) and is a whole different kettle of fish to Miami Beach.

3) Lastly, we're currently in our "wet" season (hurricane season), so it's often more challenging taking photos after a certain time, because the rain can come out of nowhere and when it rains here, it RAINS!

This thread is also meant to show sides of Miami that you wouldn't normally see, outside of the glitz of South Beach.

Anyway, I plan to use this thread to dump all of my future photos of Miami in....whether day or night and from many parts of Miami-Dade County, including South Beach.

yeah i feel you. got to watch yourself when you got expensive gear at night. in houston usually theres enough activity at night on the weekends that you dont have to worry as much, at least now a days.

but good thread. miami looks swank. got lots of friends that would go there for the winter music conference. looks nice. keepem comin yo.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #9
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5997

nice shots!
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #10
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
@ Diskojoe
@ MNiemann

is downtown still off limits at night as it used to be?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
is downtown still off limits at night as it used to be?
I don't think it's as bad as it used to be, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable walking around there at night. There's a big homeless problem in the city, but I've been informed that they're gradually trying to take care of that, but still...a lot of vagrants.
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #12
fri
Not liking this city

Likes (Received): 1

Great pics, but where are the people? I know you said there's a lack of streetlife, but still I don't think I've seen an emptier city.

Great thread though!
fri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #13
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Many thanks for those Miami photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #14
diskojoe
Registered Menace

i think we need some sweet east coast sun rise action too.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

Stunning photos! I love to see the city at street level. Hopefully it will get as busy as Miami Beach with bars, restaurants and more shops.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #16
Camilo_Costa
I♥CWB

Likes (Received): 7621

Great pics of the most latin city in the US!!
Camilo_Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM   #17
tonyssa

Beautiful city!
tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #18
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
@ Diskojoe
@ MNiemann

Some interestng perspectives and angles you captured there. I especially liked your capture of 1450 Brickell from that angle in the morning because I'm never up early enough to capture how it looks at that hour. It is indeed something new for me. I also liked your capture of the scale of the Four Seasons. You really gave people a feel for its height in those photos. I also liked your capture of Metrorail entering Government Center Station with the Mint, the Four Seasons, and Espirito Santo beyond.

Brickell Village at night is pretty vibrant. On the weekends, sometimes you'll have at least a 45 minute wait to get a table at one of the restaurants there and the skyline from the South Miami Avenue Bridge is brilliant at night. You can take a walk up there to work up a good appetite for dinner while you're waiting for your table. I'm not too big on night shots myself, but if you want to give it a try, I'll go with you just as a fellow photographer if you'll feel safer. Meantime, I did an aerial shoot in a Cessna yesterday and the results are on my QuantumPX thread.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; July 13th, 2009 at 06:04 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Jan Del Castillo

Location: Santa Marta, D.T.C.H. - Bogotá, D.C. - Cancun - Sao Paulo - Rio de Janeiro - San Juan - Panamá - MIA
Likes (Received): 845

Miami is indeed very cool and unique. Regards.
Jan Del Castillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote