daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old October 7th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 13786

JiJa does your country (this time West-Kanada)

because of the sticky Photo Thread in this forum I might be right here. if not feel free to move this Photo-Thread where it belongs.

Good Day. I am JiJa, German and I did recently an awesome trip from Vancover to Calgary. I want to share my experiences and pics with the Forum the country belongs to.

Thanks for reading in advance.

As already mentioned I traveled from Vancover to Kanada alongside with some friends. So its not very difficult to figure out with wich city my picture-story begins... Yes: Vancover. I must admit that I did not know much about that city so far - I was mostly interested in the nature - so my collegues ands friends bombarded me with phrases like
"Wow, vancover - such a lovely city"
"Want to move there someday"
"kick ass nightlife"
"Ass kicking living standard"
"Skyline between Ocean and Mountains rocks"

Unfortunately the city recieved me with a lot of rain, when I arrived there in the evening

After reaching the hotel and buying some stuff you need, walking around forgetting my camara we went out again at night ...

... but the day was the middle of the week, myself a bit jetlaged and so not more than some beer at Vancovers main street for nightlife (correct me, if I am wrong) was the result.

BTW: The next day would be iPhone6 Day

The second day started with even more rain and dark clouds that covered the city

so no real good and classical panorama Shots of Vancover with its skyline between ocean and mountains had been possible. I tried to focus on other motives that day ...

... so mostly pics you would not see or go for on a sunny day. Pictures of seeking shelter from the rain, like living under a bridge ...

... or pictures, that promise you better weather ...

... pictures where you look down, but up (hell I got to poetical)

Jump to another part of downtown - here it smelled strongly like weed.

Wallpicture (I am fan of wallpictures, so you will see some more in this thread as we will go on)

BTW: It is not my goal to let Vancover appear shabby and dirty. But such kind of motives just fit more to the weather. I wanted to spare the "beautiful" pictures for better weather. And yes, the sun would come and let the city appear like my friends and collegues described it to me - but this day Vancover was the total opposide to that and reminded you, that behind a Mercer Quality of Life index and postcard advertsing shots there are people everywhere in the world which fates are not so shiny

more to come ...
Ji-Ja-Jot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6348

Nice pics!! Please show us more!

tempus edax rerum

Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 16170

absolutely fantastic photos of Vancouver!
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China

Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

thx

A clock heats the surroundings with steam ...

Some Canadians told me last night in a bar, that Vancover would attract the entire bum-scene of country, because it would be a difference for homeless people if it is damn cold and snowy during Torontos Winter or just cold and rainy in Vancover. Nevertheless. I did not spot more bums in entire Vancover than in other cities simular size and wealth.

If the sun shines, there would be mountains in the back

Grainville Island, where I had my first Lunch and once again I realiszed beeing vegatarian would be a hard bourdan during this journey

Last grey rain pics. Prepare for a sunny Vancover update next
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #5
wino

Likes (Received): 739

can't wait..

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Taller, Better
Administrator

I actually love the soft, misty feel of your rain-day photos; especially the ones with the greenish cast. Most people (myself included) only bother to take photos when it is bright sun, blue sky; but the reality is that rain plays an important part of Vancouver's lifestyle and you have captured that as beautifully as any I've ever seen! Bravo!

tempus edax rerum

Old October 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
can't wait..
can't wait to move out of Toon?
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.

Old October 9th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

No clouds at the sky the next day. We went towards the ferry terminal to take on the Grouse Grind to the Peak of Vancouver.

Firefightercar on the way is always worth a picture

The city looks very colorfull when the sun is shining. I took tons of pictures, but decided not to spam this thread with them. There are better photographs for the city-postcards motives. I consider my ones not as something special and just stuff you have seen thousand times.

So we took the ferry and the bus to the lower Gondola Station and from there we took the Grind. Not only for the reason we wanted it, but also because I am ******* scared about Gondolas for a reason I don't know. Go with me into freefall towers or Rollercoasters, but hell not into a Gondola.

Climbing the Grind took me 5 Minutes to walk just in a T-Shirt. With the weather the last day in my mind I left the hotel with a fleece hoody, a light jacket and I bought on the way to the ferry a rainjacket (had no with me) and an umbrella. All totally useless the day and I had to carry them up the mountin in my backpack. Anyway - I work hard for my slim body
On Top I had to buy a souvenier shirt because my shirt was wet and refused to dry. ... BTW I schould post a random picture from the top here.

When you reach the upper Gondola station you are not yet on the peak. On the plateau there is some kind of bear zoo where the animals seem to be forced to do some feeding shows for the audience. I was not interested - neither my travel mates "Flo" (in the background) and "Chrissi" (foreground), who both bought souveniershirts as well to replace non driying wet shirts

The view from up the mountin is by the way breathtaking and if you did the Grind twice as beautiful. You gain a wonderfull view on the city structure of Vancouvers Suburbs. So different from Hamburgs street system

unfortunately the zoom of my digicam couldn't handle the distance

After a great time on the peak the first really bad moment of my trip followed. For time reasons (you are not allowed to go the grind down and have to take a long alternative route) I went in and took the Gondola with my friends. We wanted to check out the Stanley Park and watch the sunset from a beach. Dealing with a panic attack in the gondola I nearly cried, but managed to hold back.
Still we were not able to reach the beach by sunset and deciced to stay in Stanley Park. With Vancouvers skyline starting to glow it was not a bad idea imo neither.

Stay tuned for more advetures with JiJa, tomorrow
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Taller, Better
Administrator

Oh,yes please! We are enjoying your adventures!!

tempus edax rerum

Old October 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #10
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4818

Thanks very much for sharing your photos. I look forward to seeing the rest and like that you added commentary. More please.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #11
wino

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
can't wait to move out of Toon?
for winter :P

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #12
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

THX @ all. Here comes another wave

Time to say good bye to Vancouver. I enjoyed my stay very much, Vancouver seems to be a very special city thanks to its contrasts and of course in particual its natural sourroundings. Should be the next Twin/ or sister city of Hamburg. Both are harbour cities, have a special and awesome natural sourround and are some kind of Second-but-cooler-city in their nations.

With the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island

Maybe those are holiday residences.

The coast of vancouver Island. The Island itself is roughly as big a an average German state like Northrine Westphalia

Canadian Flag in Nanaimo. Taking a photo of a Canadian Flag on a Canada trip *check*

Flo(left) and Chris after refulling at a Liquor story. Sorry for the blurred face. I respect others Private Sphere

On the way to Tofino we stopped in a rainforest. Of course the pathes there are totally tourism friendly and explorable for everyone, but (also) of course you take your photographs in a way you can say at home that it was the total wilderness

still hard to get a shot without other tourists in, since there were tons of walking around (in particular walking into my pictures). But I like this shot. Looks like the greatness of nature and that humans are only small in it ... or so

Bring in the T-Rex

Next Update:
Tofino
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #13
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4818

Surf town!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

I was in Tofino area in july and camped there for two days. Almost every single person I talked to in our RV park was either from germany or austria and many of them told me that their trip to the west coast of Canada was because of this park.

Old October 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

No surfing for me in Tofino. Did it last year in Australia and suffered almost 1 year from not doing the starfish.

Anyway. Tofino started like Vancouver... With dark clouds and Rain

Housing scene in Tofino alongside the main road

The Restaurants in Tofino are real problem for Vegetarians. The dish is Fish or Fish or maybe even Fish ... This Restaurant however ("The Ice House") had a small vegetarian dish in its Menu wich was not just some side-stuff bunched together

... Positive Side Effect of beeing Vegetarian: The Bill for you food is often up to 3 times lower than from meateaters. So I could spend the money to try different beers from local breweries to the late night. But the taste is for someone who grew up with the German "Reinheitsgebot" kind of "interesting" to say it polite. Anyway, I am always up to new stuff so after tasting some beers I found some "creations" I actually liked, like one which had a coffee touch.

Cuuuute crossover

Next day it was raining like hell, but we still booked a wahle watching tour. The foggy and dusty sky actually fit very well to the scenery of rainforest and tons of little islands, giving it a mystical look, which I was not able to cought on cam properly

When a Whale is spotted all Tourist boats chase to that point. In the picture is another Zoidiac of the same style like ours (BTW two people puked on our Boat, but of course not me. I am from the sea )

The captain of our Zodiac. Looking relieved after spotting a greywhale. So our trip was marked with a drawn Grey Whale Tail on the "what-has-been-seen-when-calender" in the boatshouse and not with the disappointing phrase "other wildlife". Don't ask for pictures of the whales. I decided to let my camera in my waterproofed pocket because of the heavy rain.

Of course we had been to the RF-Park as well, but all pics I took there are quite useless. Rainforest means RAIN. This was the situation at Combers Beach

Frozen we returned to Tofino and decided to spend the evening in a bar near our stay. But we lost Flo, who acidentially walked into the wrong bar, stepped into a canadian wedding party and was invited/forced to celebrate with them. So free beer and food for him.
Myself only got chased through the town by two dogs both as big as calfs before I was able to enter the correct bar (in a hurry) and fortunately unharmed. We played a game of billiard there - a game I suck hard. A older but nice looking guy ( I would say around 35-40), suddenly placed a coin on the billiard table next to me, smiled at me and moved back to the bar. At this time I had no idea what that move means. I thought he would give me a compassion-coin bcause I performed so bad. After finishing the game I decided to have a look outisde for Flo, took the Dollar, ensured the dogs weren't around and left. Later I was asked, why I didn't want to play with the guy who challenged me with the Coin.
"oh"... I am afraid I acted totally impolite and should have asked him, what the dollar-gesture means.
Would have been an easy game for him - and I don't mean billiard in this case ...

Next day at breakfast Flo told us about his canadian wedding adventure. And that was what happened in Tofino. In conclusion I think we were able to make the best out of the heavy rain.

Next up is Victoria

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; October 11th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Taller, Better
Administrator

hehe!! The dollar gesture made me laugh! Plus the great stories of being chased by dogs the size of calves, and enforced wedding celebrations! Good stories to tell back home.

I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could "surf" in such cold, miserable waters. Uggh. Makes me shiver just looking at it!

tempus edax rerum

Old October 12th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Maybe the stinger ray keeps you warm

On our way to victoria, the capital of BC

As you can see the weather was again Rainforest worthy. What a good choice to buy a rain-jacket in Vancouver

The Old Country supermarket in Coombs is a tourist attracktion, because there are goats on the roof. But I considered the scene inside as more intersting

Poor Ice Seller (in the background). He had a bad day

In Victoria I had to recharge my cam Battery, so the first pictures ar already from the evening in a Restaurant, where I tried a Veggie-Burger

and of course I tasted several local beers or ales. Thats my eyes (without make up ).

And a whiskey. Of course one from the top of the beverage card
Old October 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #18
Taller, Better
Administrator

Those Scotch prices are reasonable....
I'm really enjoying your photos! Gives us a nice feel of how you spent your vacation!

tempus edax rerum

Old October 12th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #19
vanboy2
Terminator

Likes (Received): 1357

Thanks for the photos triple j!I lived in Vancouver for most of my life so sometime its refresh so see my town through the eyes of the tourist point of view,different angle of life ,buildings,lifestyle ...trough the lens its kind of neat indeed.Hope to see more,by the way which month did you arrives to Vancouver and just curious are you a he or she?

vanboy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #20
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

I arrived in mid-September and I am a heshe

Close this day with another little set of victoria
starting with a must-do location (inner harbour)

But here the same is important like good weather shots in Vancouver. There are tons of people around who are paid to take such shots and who do it better. It is hard to find your own interpretation

normally I stay in hostels on my trips but in Canada most stays had been in Hotels from the 70ies, which already had their best times but still offer surprisingly much comfort. Blurred-Chris is taking a group picture of a hotel room party - the whiskey glass always next to him.

Next day we wanted to explore the city by bike, but we are stupid tourists and we knew that, so we had no problems with following a guide. In my hostel-travel-history I met a lot of arrogant people, who would never do such a step and would rather end up in the nowhere instead of giving up their "independence". Those people are one reason, why I decidet to try (cheap) hotels this time.

We followed the guide alongside the coastline. We saw no orcas and for the seal-feeding at a small yacht harbour no seal was there, but we spotted "other wildlife" at a chinese cementary

View from the cementary over the pacific.

More "other wildlife". Those dogs are roughly the same size like the dogs in Tofino. But this time they didn't want a piece of me. They were too busy shitting on the graves. But the holder cleaned it all up

Taking a picture at fullspeed

Many pictures of other must-do locations on our route like the residence of the governuer are because of too much weather-greyness not really worthy to show, but at this old residence the weather suddenly cleard up and formed this outstanding sky, which fits to the appereance of the building like boxing gloves on Klitschkos fits

Next time: last part of Victoria