daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 483

Canadian City Proposals

I looked through 12 pages and couldn't find one thread for this. As long as it's an urban proposal feel free to post it here.

It seems that more proposals are popping up this month due to the backlog from the summer strike here in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo View Post
42 storey 'car free/no parking' condo by Zeidler.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-21943.pdf

image hosted on flickr

found at ut.

Home Top Stories
'Car-free' condo: 42 storeys, no parking
September 16, 2009 04:09:00
Donovan Vincent
CITY HALL BUREAU

A controversial 42-storey condo building that will be built without permanent parking spots cleared a key hurdle yesterday.
The Toronto-East York community council overruled city staff skeptical about the dearth of parking to allow a plan that provides for only nine car-share rental spots, plus 315 spaces for bicycles.
The condominium would go up on the site of the century-old Royal Canadian Military Institute on University Ave. near Dundas St., which would be demolished, with elements of its facade preserved at the base and a thin tower above...

...But the project got the green light after Vaughan suggested a series of amendments to bring the building into what he later described as "better conformity" with the area...

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by AndrewJM3D; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
AndrewJM3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6373

Good idea for a thread, Andrew! We can keep tabs on what is happening across the country!

tempus edax rerum

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #3
AndrewJM3D

I thought I already created a thread but I think it was just on SSP as Whistler.

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Taller, Better
Administrator

?? Yes, I was confused, too, as I thought I had seen it already, too!

tempus edax rerum

Old September 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
AndrewJM3D

Here's a cool pedestrian bridge design for Calgary by Calatrava. I believe it's called the Peace Bridge. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. I'd love a few of those here in Toronto to cross our rail lands.

Old September 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Taller, Better
Administrator

Say, that is nice!

tempus edax rerum

Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
AndrewJM3D

Pier 27 phase 3 and 4.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM   #8
PoscStudent

Likes (Received): 12

Here are several proposals for St. John's.

This is a proposal by Comusult to construct their new headquarters on Water Street.
Water Street side.

Harbour Drive side

Here is the proposal along with 351 Water Street, an office building which is waiting on its final approval from council.

Here is the view of 351 Water Street from Harbour Drive.

This condo proposal is for the site of the Star of the Sea Hall, which will soon be torn down. It is so ugly because it's suppose to be mimicing the old Hall.

This is just a conceptional design of what to do with The Battery Hotel, which is up for sale, it will most likely never see the light of day in St. John's though.

Source Link: Colliers PDF file[/QUOTE]

PoscStudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
AndrewJM3D

Bayside completion 2021.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #10
davidivivid

Likes (Received): 865

Here are some of the proposals for Quebec City. Three years ago, I would have been very skeptic about any towers being built because of the severe height regulations but the current city administration is now approving taller projects...finally.

This one would be built in the St-Roch neighbourhood, which is plausible since there is more and more economic activity, especially the video game industry.

http://j.imagehost.org/0471/st-roch.jpg

Situated on Laurier boulevard. Many towers are going to be built on this boulevard in the next 2-3-4 years.

http://a.imagehost.org/0647/ozone3.jpg

A third pavilion for the Museum of Fine-Arts

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/201...rand-Allee.jpg

A new hotel downtown.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/images/biz...hotel-jaro.jpg

This project is called Quebec's gate because it is situated next to the bridges. I have no idea if this one is going to be built.

http://mtlurb.com/pictures/main.php?...serialNumber=1

davidivivid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #11
AndrewJM3D

Wow, those are some great proposals for QC.

Old September 6th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #12
AndrewJM3D

Here is a nice one for Regina. Almost ready to start construction, it will be the cities new tallest.

Old September 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #13
PoscStudent

This is part of a new condo proposal for St. John's.

The Telegram

The Telegram

More Photos

Quote:
Size matters

Let the public have a say: developer

It might be the same old “storey” for a proposed downtown condo.

The development — between Duckworth and Henry streets — could be stymied by the heritage area’s 15-metre height restriction.

But the developer argues the $60-million, multi-phase project is well worth the additional height.

The Henry Bell condominium project came before the city’s planning committee Wednesday, where developers showed some renderings of the proposed development and talked about their interest in getting to a public meeting.

After the presentation describing the 90-unit condo building with six levels of parking at the former CBC building site, city staff and council members discussed the merits of the project.

After reviewing the proposal, planning staff had recommended that the committee limit the building to 15 metres from Henry Street.

The committee opted instead to ask for view plane analysis from staff for the building at both 15 metres and the proposed 17- and 18-metre tall building before making a decision on whether to allow the additional height.

The condo/parking structure would still be viable at 15 metres, staff argued, because the parking garage doesn’t have to be six storeys — the structure has more than adequate parking for residents and enough parking to still enter into a public-private partnership with three levels of parking.

Dick Cook, the prime consultant on the project, told the committee making the building taller than 15 metres wasn’t an arbitrary decision.

The partnership is restricted as to how deep it can dig to create parking, and it does have to meet certain parking restrictions, Cook said.

The former CBC building has no parking built in, and therefore there’s no justification to add the additional three metres, staff explained.

After the meeting, Colin Whitcomb, executive vice-president of the Hardman Group, the lead partner on the project, said lopping off a storey isn’t the only solution to the problem.

He also reiterated that he’s looking forward to what the public has to say about the development.

“The public wants this project, I think, and I think the public will speak in favour of it. Or maybe they won’t, maybe there will be refinements or enhancements of this project. It’s the public that has to live with this project,” he said after the meeting.

The partners on the project told the committee they were eager to get the process started and they’d soon be coming back with another proposal for the recently acquired former Newfoundland Telephone building across the street.

Meanwhile, the project was also brought to the heritage advisory committee on Friday, where it received a relatively warm welcome.

Deputy Mayor Shannie Duff and others on the committee indicated that, aside from some concern about the look of the parking garage, the additional height wasn’t a dealbreaker for that committee.

“(It’s) very good news that something is being done with it,” Duff said at the meeting. “This area has been derelict for a long time … this would be a tremendous addition in that area.”
Article

I don't no why they have the parking garage on display like it is some kind of master piece.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #14
AndrewJM3D

So this is the other side? If they use nice material it could be nice.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #15
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

Seriously? It looks like a 70's motel with a few too many renovations. The double mansard roof is hilarious, as are the fire-escape-style balconies, and the PoMo touches.

dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #16
AndrewJM3D

In context in downtown St John's it could look good. Eastern Seaboard communities having been building that style for centuries now. You can't really call a style designed 200 years ago Pomo. What might look terrible in other cities might actually look nice in a Maritime setting. So yes with the right materials it could end up looking nice and fit right in with the street. The elevated parking lot is terrible but I'm assuming it's already there and they are building over it.

Old September 17th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #17
davidivivid

Likes (Received): 865

Some other proposals for Quebec City. Some of those will surely become reality while others...we'll see.

The construction of the second tower of this complex should begin this autumn...it will supposedly be 26 stories high even though the company was hoping for more.

http://www.epsylon.ca/

This project consists of 300 habitation units for the elderly.

http://www.journalhabitation.com/Act...r-en-hauteur/1

Second phase of office towers with a Leed Canada-NC 1.0 certification.

http://www.immostar.ca/ScriptorWeb/s...esultat=914334

Here's a picture of the first phase:

http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/habita...eed-et-zen.php

Future eco-neighbourhood in Pointe-aux-Lièvres. The soil is being decontaminated as we speak.

http://www.lesaffaires.com/tournee-d...elabres/511896

Another eco-neighbourhood project in d'Estimauville. The soil is being decontaminated here as well. The city plans that a total of 3300 habitation units will be built in these neighbourhoods. I would normally be skeptical but a first $300M eco-neighbourhood already is under construction elsewhere in the city.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...146150&page=81

$85M condominium project in Beauport (I do not like it but it's not that bad)

http://www.lequaidebeauchatel.com/condos

Last edited by davidivivid; September 17th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
davidivivid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #18
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 15

Great thread!

Nice to see Quebec and east-coast stuff I wouldn't otherwise know about any of that.

Let's keep this going bit by bit

thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #19
AndrewJM3D

All promising davidivivid, well except for the last one. lets hope if any get canceled or redesigned it's that one.

I'm surprised Halifax doesn't have more of a condo boom right now with an ageing population and first timer buyers. If I lived there I'd love a condo down by the water.

And new proposals Halifax forumers to mention?

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
PoscStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
The elevated parking lot is terrible but I'm assuming it's already there and they are building over it.
Oh no it's not, that parking garage is new. That's the developers way of getting their extra bit of height. Downtown St. John's has a serious parking problem so if a developer wants to build a bunch of extra parking it helps their proposal.

As for the look of it, it's what you get in St. John's. The building on the left is just being renovated and the developer is keeping it's art deco look, which I rather like. As for the new yellow building I'm fine with it, our city councillors don't like modern buildings downtown so developments have to give that heritage look.

Last edited by PoscStudent; September 17th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.