daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old January 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
MissyC

What caught your eyes today?

I start a new thread and I like to allow all of us to discuss different news that has cought our eyes during the day or evening with other respected forumers and am sure this way we can discuss many interesting stuff, news, links etc and listen to other people's opinions.

Today, this cought my eyes when a friend of mine has posted it onto her facebook wall which I love to share it with you all.

THE World University Rankings 2011-2012

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...2/top-400.html

Isn't it good to see that University of Toronto is ranked 19? Far higher than most other European universities and other uni's worldwide. Great job to the city of Toronto.

And certainly not to forget the University of BC and McGill that both are within the best 30 universities worldwide. Great job to Canada, US and UK. (also Switzerland, the Netherlands, Korea, Japan and Sweden)

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by MissyC; January 16th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 14th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Ashok

Likes (Received): 1263

Vanboy's avatar! I mean, the face is blurred. Why is that? I think maybe it is because it is him!!! And if that is the case, then Why has he denied us the right to see a much bigger version!! Is he playing one of his games! I demand to see a larger version!
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #3
vanboy2
Terminator

Likes (Received): 1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
Vanboy's avatar! I mean, the face is blurred. Why is that? I think maybe it is because it is him!!! And if that is the case, then Why has he denied us the right to see a much bigger version!! Is he playing one of his games! I demand to see a larger version!
you have to pay to see the bigger version.
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Ashok

ah! so that is you!
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
MissyC

hahahahahaha... that is a good one Ashok! ... Although I can say that it is not Vanboy, but yet again, the avatar is VERY pretty and pretty much matching the reality behind his face and body = cause I have witnessed that.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6309

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
I start a new thread and I like to allow all of us to discuss different news that has cought our eyes during the day or evening with other respected forumers and am sure this way we can discuss many interesting stuff, news, links etc and listen to other people's opinions.

Today, this cought my eyes when a friend of mine has posted it onto her facebook wall which I love to share it with you all.

Isn't it good to see that University of Toronto is ranked 68? Far higher than most other European universities and other uni's worldwide. Great job to the city of Toronto.

And certainly not to forget the University of BC and McGill that both are within the best 30 universities worldwide. Great job to Canada, US and UK. (also Switzerland, the Netherlands, Korea, Japan and Sweden)

U of T was at 19, not 68.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
U of T was at 19, not 68.
OEPS! SORRY .. my bad indeed. 68 was Utrecht University....

That was indeed what caught my eye ... U of T on 19! among the best 20!!!!
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4625

#19? It seems like the University of Toronto keeps steadily climbing; that's about as high as I've ever seen a Canadian university. Maybe it can get into the top 10.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #9
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
#19? It seems like the University of Toronto keeps steadily climbing; that's about as high as I've ever seen a Canadian university. Maybe it can get into the top 10.
It might and I can now easily imagine that! As more and more highly educated people keep moving to Toronto from all over the World and as the city itself is a very accomodating city with International allure and the gorgeous 5 star hotels available to all along with many 4 star ones, so who knows! It is attractive to those who want to live in a rather different place with a steadily solid economic outlook and banking system as well.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Ashok

Vanboy, due explain your new avatar as it once again caught my eye! (Is it a watermelon + a fan?)
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #11
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post

thanks for sharing, but i think i should not fully trust these surveys no offend a lot of american universities are overrated and every student is charged a fortune to get a degree though. here is another ranking i've found http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2011
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #12
vanboy2
Terminator

Quote:
Vanboy, due explain your new avatar as it once again caught my eye! (Is it a watermelon + a fan?)
you and avatar.Ok so next Monday is a Lunar New Year which is celebrate by Vietnamese and Chinese.

here the avatar in English and Vietnamese.

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #13
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 15594

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy2 View Post
you and avatar]
why the piss? I thought he was asking you a genuine question. I, myself, have never seen people eating watermelon during the celebration of the lunar new year.
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China

Highcliff liked this post
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #14
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
thanks for sharing, but i think i should not fully trust these surveys no offend a lot of american universities are overrated and every student is charged a fortune to get a degree though. here is another ranking i've found http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2011
Actually, I was thinking the same the other day too.

Last edited by MissyC; January 29th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Ashok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
why the piss? I thought he was asking you a genuine question. I, myself, have never seen people eating watermelon during the celebration of the lunar new year.
Don't be too harsh, be sensitive to his one man culture of eating watermelon.

I read on google scholar that his love for melons is him compensating, from his inability to appreciate real melons.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
MissyC

Quote:
Don't be too harsh, be sensitive to his one man culture of eating watermelon.

I read on google scholar that his love for melons is him compensating, from his inability to appreciate real melons.
hmmmm ...this caught my eye today:

I feel LOVE in the air! >>> something is growing between Ashok and Vanboy
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #17
vanboy2
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Let me explain something different in the traditions between Chinese and Vietnamese,in term of celebrating Lunar New Year.(Its might caught your eyes).

The three thing shown in that photo are: square sticky rice (bánh chưng),watermelon (dưa hấu) and yellow flower called hoa mai (Ochna integerrima).

Here is the meaning behind those foods.The first King of Vietnam name vua Hùng Vương (2897 BC)wants to see which one of his sons will be loyal to him,and smart enough to be the future King.In the first day of the new year, the King starts the contest whoever(between his sons) come up with the new dish (which have never been made before)will win the contest.The first son came up with ''bánh chưng''(sticky rice cake) he said''the rice is represent for the daily lives of Vietnam people,wrapped in green banana leaf represent the color of the land (trees)and the square shape is the shape of the planet( well everyone known this theory).The second son (An Tiem)didn't come up with anything good,its upset the King,as the result he was sending to the deserted island,lucky for him on the island already had a very ''strange'' fruit shaped like a green ball,but the inside is red and so sweet.Years went by and he managed to grow a farm of that fruit,used it to exchange to fishermen for daily items.One day the King's chef gave him that fruit for dessert and he loves it.Long story short,after find out its came from his second son An Tiem,he changed his mind and reinstated him as a Prince.So since then Vietnamese people always have these two items for their new year to remind us the loyal,the love and the hard working of our people.The flower just there to be pretty.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 15594

Alright, explanation accepted!
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy2 View Post
Let me explain something different in the traditions between Chinese and Vietnamese,in term of celebrating Lunar New Year.(Its might caught your eyes).

The three thing shown in that photo are: square sticky rice (bánh chưng),watermelon (dưa hấu) and yellow flower called hoa mai (Ochna integerrima).

Here is the meaning behind those foods.The first King of Vietnam name vua Hùng Vương (2897 BC)wants to see which one of his sons will be loyal to him,and smart enough to be the future King.In the first day of the new year, the King starts the contest whoever(between his sons) come up with the new dish (which have never been made before)will win the contest.The first son came up with ''bánh chưng''(sticky rice cake) he said''the rice is represent for the daily lives of Vietnam people,wrapped in green banana leaf represent the color of the land (trees)and the square shape is the shape of the planet( well everyone known this theory).The second son (An Tiem)didn't come up with anything good,its upset the King,as the result he was sending to the deserted island,lucky for him on the island already had a very ''strange'' fruit shaped like a green ball,but the inside is red and so sweet.Years went by and he managed to grow a farm of that fruit,used it to exchange to fishermen for daily items.One day the King's chef gave him that fruit for dessert and he loves it.Long story short,after find out its came from his second son An Tiem,he changed his mind and reinstated him as a Prince.So since then Vietnamese people always have these two items for their new year to remind us the loyal,the love and the hard working of our people.The flower just there to be pretty.
Oh wow.... Vanboy, thank you for sharing this story with us.

Last edited by MissyC; January 29th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #20
vanboy2
Terminator

This caught my eyes another day.Nobody came to this world to expect end up like this!he is not a piece of trash but a person.