daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
MexiQuebecois
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 44

Canadian Immigration

I noticed that one of the most desired countries in the world to live and that attracts so many immigrants doesn't have a thread dedicated specifically to immigration, so I decided to create one

Feel free to discuss here anything related to immigrating to Canada, whether you live overseas and are thinking of applying for immigration, already applied and are waiting for an answer, whether you're a Canadian citizen and think immigration should be decreased. etc.

In my personal case, I lived in Canada for a few years and right now I'm applying for permanent residence, my application was mailed in September to CPC (Case Processing Centre) in Mississauga, on October 15 they approved it for the first stage and was mailed to the embassy in Mexico City. Started processing on November 6, I also was notified some documents were missing, I delivered them personally within two weeks and now its all about waiting.

My personal opinion so far so far when dealing with Citizenship and Immigration Canada :

Just like immigrating to many countries, it's a pain in the ass. I've spent over $3000 in fees and documents, You must dedicate a lot of time into filling out paperwork, medical tests, background checks, interviews, and things like that. But in the end it's worth it, I consider this a long term investment that in the end will benefit no one other than myself.

I've been studying everything related to Canadian immigration. I'm by no means an immigration consultant, but if somebody has a question regarding immigration, or how to immigrate to Canada, post it here and we'll see what we can do
MexiQuebecois no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #2
MexiQuebecois
Registered Abuser

Here's an interesting article regarding some irregularities with the Residency requirements:

Two Classes of Permanent Residents
November 30, 2009

Depending on their nationality, Canadian landed immigrants receive different treatment when it comes to residency requirements.

You would expect the Government of Canada to treat all of its landed immigrants (permanent residents) equally and certainly not to discriminate against some of them based on their country of origin. The facts, however, tell another story, at least when it comes to complying with the residency obligations that are, supposedly, incumbent on all landed immigrants, no matter the country they came from.

Briefly, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) establishes residency requirements for landed immigrants with respect to each five-year period after the granting of permanent residency status. A landed immigrant complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period, by accumulating at least two years of Canadian "residency days". All permanent residents are expected to have two years of Canadian residency days in each five year period of time. On the surface, everything seems fair. Where the discrepancy occurs is in the treatment of permanent residents, who have not complied with the residency obligation.

Let's look at the following hypothetical example to illustrate my point.

Suppose Mr. X landed in Canada as a permanent resident six or ten or even twenty years ago. After spending a short time in Canada, Mr. X left our country to pursue an employment opportunity abroad and has never been back. Now, many years later, he wishes to return to Canada and resume his life as a Canadian landed immigrant. Based on what I have stated above, you would say this can't happen because Mr. X has not accumulated two years of Canadian residency days in each five year period since becoming a permanent resident. Your assessment of the situation would be correct, but only partially. If Mr. X happens to be a citizen of certain countries, such as India, China or a Middle Eastern nation, his days as a Canadian permanent resident are likely over. On the other hand, if Mr. X is a national of other countries, such as the U.S., Australia or a Western European nation, then he might very well be able to return to Canada and eventually resume his status as a Canadian permanent resident.

You are probably wondering how this obvious favoritism can occur. Let me explain how it happens.

An individual who is a citizen of a country requiring a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada will not be able to board a commercial carrier back to Canada without the TRV or a Travel Document issued by a Canadian visa office unless they are in possession of a valid Canadian permanent resident card. Once the permanent resident card has expired that individual must approach a Canadian visa office (outside Canada) and apply for a Travel Document that will be acceptable to a commercial carrier. In the application for a Travel Document, a determination of Canadian residency status takes place. If Canadian immigration authorities decide that the applicant has not accumulated two years of residency days in the last five years and in the absence of humanitarian and compassionate grounds, the application for a Travel Document will be refused. Permanent residence status has been lost.

Now compare this situation to that of an individual from a country that does not require a temporary resident visa for travel to Canada. The latter individual requires only a valid passport to board a commercial carrier destined to Canada. There is no requirement for a valid permanent resident card or Travel Document from a Canadian visa office to board a Canadian bound commercial carrier. Once in Canada as a visitor, all the individual needs to do is remain here for two years. At that point, the individual will have actually accumulated two years of Canadian residency days in the last five years. IRPA and its Regulations permit the immigration authorities to only examine the preceding five years - nothing further back. And in the last five years the individual resided in Canada for two years. Canadian permanent residency has effectively been restored.

Lucky for some, unlucky for others. It shouldn't be that way.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...residents.html
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Kensingtonian

Likes (Received): 36

yeah, that's not fair at all. immigration to Canada should depend on the skills an immigrant has. for example, there are shortages of workers in a number of skilled trades. if someone wants to immigrate to Canada they can learn how to be a plumber or whatever and then apply.

as the baby boomers get older we're going to need more people working paying in to the CPP. if someone is a young, working age and has a skill Canada needs, come on over.

we should also take a certain number of refugees every year for compassionate reasons, depending on what we can handle.
Kensingtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
MissyC

I didn't experience it that way Mexi.

in my situation it was all very easy and done fast too.

Off course I didn't do it all myself. I just contacted an immigration agent located in Canada, had a meeting with them, I paid them, they did the work for me.

(skiller worker program)

It cost me more than $ 10.000,- Canadian dollars (fees, translations, couriers, the agent themselves too, etc), but I laid back and they did the work and they did it very well.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #5
MexiQuebecois
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
I didn't experience it that way Mexi.

in my situation it was all very easy and done fast too.

Off course I didn't do it all myself. I just contacted an immigration agent located in Canada, had a meeting with them, I paid them, they did the work for me.

(skiller worker program)

It cost me more than $ 10.000,- Canadian dollars (fees, translations, couriers, the agent themselves too, etc), but I laid back and they did the work and they did it very well.
It all depends on personal experiences, and which embassy is handling your case, Mexico City's embassy is notorious for being a pain in the ass from what I hear, mind you that my case is not "routine" therefore it takes much longer.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #6
MissyC

or these websites:

www.loonlounge.com

www.canadavisa.com

lots of information and people who can help.

I got the best address for those from Britain/Ireland/Belgium/Germany or Holland who want to move to Canada, USA, Australia, NZ or UK.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #7
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 366

I immigrated to Canada from Switzerland exactly 10 years ago! I'm not even in Canada now to celebrate.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
I immigrated to Canada from Switzerland exactly 10 years ago! I'm not even in Canada now to celebrate.
how long will you stay in Spain btw, Filip?
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #9
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
how long will you stay in Spain btw, Filip?
Until late June, then I'm spending a few weeks in Belgrade.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #10
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Until late June, then I'm spending a few weeks in Belgrade.
I am doing a tour de Europa in June, then I head for Toronto
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #11
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
I am doing a tour de Europa in June, then I head for Toronto
Come to Madrid, I'll take you shopping and clubbing.

I can be the young fratboy lover you picked up in Spain.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #12
MissyC

you are dangerous!
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #13
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

I'm the homme fatal.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #14
MissyC

and I am a real femme fatal! I will eat you and won't leave a piece left for Isaidso LOL
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #15
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 625

Hannibal wants to know, Did somebody allude to cannibalism ?

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #16
MissyC

Filip wants to put his hands on both me and Isaidso... I tried to frighten him!
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #17
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Why not all three at the same time? If I was taught one thing in my 2 years of studying Finance is that a company's efficiency has a big impact on its bottom line!
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #18
MissyC

you will get fat !!! you look too gorgeous to get fat. lol
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #19
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
you will get fat !!! you look too gorgeous to get fat. lol
Don't say that.. I just had a Big Mac meal.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #20
MissyC

Ahhhh.... you have so much activity you will lose the calories just like that...