daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old December 21st, 2012, 07:11 AM   #7201
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6176

I stopped at Rabba on the way home from work, and they had fresh salmon fillets on for $11 a kg, and chicken legs/thighs on sale for $3.90. For under ten bucks I made enough fried salmon (rubbed with Mexican Ranchera sauce) and Dijon and Garlic chicken baked in Panko crumbs with Spanish rice and red beans for four people.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2012, 07:56 AM   #7202
fieldsofdreams

Likes (Received): 5208

Dang, I want some, TB! I was having spicy chips earlier...

Bay Area Strong • Standing for reform, efficiency, and diversity
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7203
Taller, Better
Administrator

Hubby and I are so stuffed we can barely move. I made enough for at least four people and we ate enough for three!

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:19 AM   #7204
vanboy2
Terminator

Likes (Received): 1313

for dinner made some dried spicy prawns noodles and grilled chicken with veggies in sweet sauce.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:54 AM   #7205
fieldsofdreams

Mmmm love the grilled chicken! I only had a bowl of Special K for dinner tonight. I might want something more than that though...

Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7206
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

Likes (Received): 1844

TB, take a picture of your first successful rice cooking, that would be an achievement! "Rice Cooker"! I got that achievement when i was 9 yrs old.
So I come to speak of a society that is sick, so sick that it must either be cured and cured now or buried in a deluge of reforms... For the oligarchy is not impressed by social unrest; it uses it instead to manipulate power and influence. While this government has the means to check the oligarchs, only new laws can guarantee that they will never again impose their will on a free people. -FERDINAND E. MARCOS

6th State of the Nation 1971

Mi trabajo es observar. Porque me est sopa y sashimi!
spearhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7207
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 377

I never understand why so many people have trouble cooking rice. I have never had a problem, but maybe my referred rice (basmati) is easier than others to prepare?
kwoldtimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM   #7208
Taller, Better
Administrator

Well, apparently my little rice cooker doesn't like brown rice, and refuses to cook it all the way through. And, apparently the manufacturers incorrectly think that it will cook four cups of dry rice, when now it is apparent that one cup is about its limit. However, I will get some white rice and try that out, and in the meantime made a big pot of rice my old way, as part of my recipe for my dog's delicious month supply of food!

Actually, my rice is not as bad as I exaggerated. I do kind of have the system down of ensuring it doesn't stick to the bottom at the beginning, and then leaving it tightly covered on low heat for as long as it takes. I've learned from my millions of mistakes in the past! hehe....

Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7209
fieldsofdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Well, apparently my little rice cooker doesn't like brown rice, and refuses to cook it all the way through. And, apparently the manufacturers incorrectly think that it will cook four cups of dry rice, when now it is apparent that one cup is about its limit. However, I will get some white rice and try that out, and in the meantime made a big pot of rice my old way, as part of my recipe for my dog's delicious month supply of food!

Actually, my rice is not as bad as I exaggerated. I do kind of have the system down of ensuring it doesn't stick to the bottom at the beginning, and then leaving it tightly covered on low heat for as long as it takes. I've learned from my millions of mistakes in the past! hehe....
I've actually learned how to cook rice two ways: one using a conventional stove, the other using a rice cooker. My mum recommends me to use my pointing finger to measure the water that will soak the rice, which in turn, for me, I make my guesstimate -- until around the first line of my pointing finger from the tip will do from the top of the rice. And usually, that'd be the same way if I cook either white or brown rice.

However, as I realize, I remember to use measuring cups when needed to make proper rice... I just can't remember the water-to-rice ratio needed to have a properly-cooked and tasty rice! It's like, for every cup or so, it needs like 3 cups of water... I'd better check and do trial and error for that!

What I really like with rice, though: when it's done and steamy hot, I immediately get some and put my favorite dish or meal in it, and I eat it while it's fresh. Oh, the joy of rice... it's my favorite staple (I hope spearhead's favorite staple is rice too)

Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM   #7210
fieldsofdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I never understand why so many people have trouble cooking rice. I have never had a problem, but maybe my referred rice (basmati) is easier than others to prepare?
Well, rice comes in multiple varieties, that's for sure. Basmati is a quick-cooking rice that only takes around 15 to 20 minutes to cook through, and its fragrance is unmistakable. A key note: the longer a grain of rice is, the longer it may be needed to cook. Also, brown rice will always take longer to cook because it needs to break down the husks that is prominent in that rice, and while it may take like 45 to 60 minutes to cook, it is much healthier for you.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7211
Taller, Better
Administrator

I have my rice outside cooling.... the big pot on the right is four cups of dry brown rice fully cooked. The little (and shallow) cooker on the left is the one that rather ambitiously claims it can cook four cups of dry rice! hehe... I'm thinking B won't fit into A...... but if I can get it to cook two cups of white rice, I'll be pleased!

Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7212
fieldsofdreams

Quote:
I have my rice outside cooling.... the big pot on the right is four cups of dry brown rice fully cooked. The little (and shallow) cooker on the left is the one that rather ambitiously claims it can cook four cups of dry rice! hehe... I'm thinking B won't fit into A...... but if I can get it to cook two cups of white rice, I'll be pleased!
Ah I get it! TB, I've got something for you to note:

1 cup of raw rice gains you at least 2 cups of cooked rice.

The water that soaks the rice will boil, cooking the rice, and that steam will come out as the rice cooks for a period of time. For me, what I do after cooking the rice is to let go of the steam first, then eat it straight from the pot! And by the way, to make it much better, get a fork and fluff the rice so that the grains will not stick to each other.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7213
Taller, Better
Administrator

Yes, that has always been my rule..... but I read and re-read the instruction booklet and it firmly claims it can handle four cups of dry rice, which I suspected (and now know) is a physical impossibility. I think perhaps there was some translation difficulties for whoever made the manual.
But, as the rice cooker was only 12 bucks, I can't really complain too much! You get what you pay for, in Life! hehe....

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7214
fieldsofdreams

I will let you know right now: do not assume anything that it will work as advertised! There is always a certain limit for how much dry grains can be placed in there to cook properly... In fact, if the booklet claims that it can cook up to four cups of uncooked rice, then I think they have done it wrong -- I don't even know if the manufacturers actually tested that amount of rice for cooking! I would be safe to assume that to make four cups of uncooked rice, do it instead in two batches, or make three cups of uncooked rice instead. And that must make plenty already.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #7215
Taller, Better
Administrator

So very true. In this case I need four dry cups as I make up a month's food at a time for my dog, and then freeze it in freezer bag portions. The rice will be about 1/3, and the other 2/3 is a mix of fish/beef/puréed frozen veggies and unsweetened pure pumpkin purée.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7216
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post

What I really like with rice, though: when it's done and steamy hot, I immediately get some and put my favorite dish or meal in it, and I eat it while it's fresh. Oh, the joy of rice... it's my favorite staple (I hope spearhead's favorite staple is rice too)
Yes ofcourse!

But you know what when i was 4 year separated, i tried to stay away from rice, and ate noodles and pastas instead, but i gained more weight so i went back eating rice again!
------------------------------

Anyway, rice are good and can take about 2-3 days outside the fridge without getting spoiled, as long as you dont cover it tight if you leave it outside the fridge. Rice can get spoiled right away if you cover it while it's hot or after you cook it.

Dont eat too much rice though, it will give as a lot of bloated tummies!
So I come to speak of a society that is sick, so sick that it must either be cured and cured now or buried in a deluge of reforms... For the oligarchy is not impressed by social unrest; it uses it instead to manipulate power and influence. While this government has the means to check the oligarchs, only new laws can guarantee that they will never again impose their will on a free people. -FERDINAND E. MARCOS

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #7217
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

TB, you know that we can cook rice too without water? But it will turn out to be a rice coffee. I learned it during my boyscout days and how to survive with rice without water! It taste good too, just burn it through then you get an instand coffee, just add water for the drink ofcourse with sugar or milk if you like!

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7218
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

Quote:

Nice TB congrats! Good looking rice there you got! Thanks for sharing it! BBQ anyone?

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7219
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
TB, you know that we can cook rice too without water? But it will turn out to be a rice coffee. I learned it during my boyscout days and how to survive with rice without water! It taste good too, just burn it through then you get an instand coffee, just add water for the drink ofcourse with sugar or milk if you like!

Hey, cool! Sort of like a roasted chicory idea, for hot drinks like Postum! What a good idea! I imagine somebody at some point in history burned some dry rice by mistake, and then put water in it. Not wanting to waste it they probably drank it and discovered it tasted good.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #7220
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

Quote:
Hey, cool! Sort of like a roasted chicory idea, for hot drinks like Postum! What a good idea! I imagine somebody at some point in history burned some dry rice by mistake, and then put water in it. Not wanting to waste it they probably drank it and discovered it tasted good.
Well exactly! Those burnt rice are still usefull. Even when you go to some korean restaurants like that place me and my family went sometime this past summer at buffalo, they served as a bowl of burnt rice with water on it. It was funny though cuz first i thought they made a mistake of serving me their used bowl that were ready for washing! Because that's what i do on my dishes if i burned something, put water on it to soften it first...!

Anyway, you and your hubby should try it one day, it will be sweeeeeet!