daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #61
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

PATH is $1.75 USD.

- A

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #62
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
PATH is $1.75 USD.

- A
Where and what is PATH?
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #63
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...-the-world.php

... We may agree that New York's is the most reliable and largest subway system on balance...

Who are "we"?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #64
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
So they can compare...? Apples to apples.

By the way, I had no intention of making this a "post your city's transit fare" thread. I just wanted to share the article.
London single fare:
Quote:
Adult and child tickets

Adult Peak Off-Peak
Journeys in:
Zones 1-2 £6.70 £5.10
Zones 1-3 £8.10 £5.80
Zones 1-4 £9.50 £5.80
Zones 1-5 £12.10 £7.00
Zones 1-6 £14.30 £7.00
Zones 1-9 £15.70 £8.50
Zones 1-8 + Watford Junction £17.50 £13.30
Zone 2 £6.70 £4.60
Zones 2-3 £8.10 £4.60
Zones 2-6 £8.50 £4.60
Zones 2-9 £10.10 £5.10
Zones 2-8 + Watford Junction £12.10 £7.10
Oyster daily price cap: (a.k.a. the MAXIMUM that will ever be charged from your any day)

Quote:
Oyster daily price capping

Daily price capping is the most you will be charged a day when you use Oyster to pay as you go on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail services.
Adult and child tickets

Adult Peak Off-Peak
Journeys in:
Zones 1-2 £6.70 £5.10
Zones 1-3 £8.10 £5.80
Zones 1-4 £9.50 £5.80
Zones 1-5 £12.10 £7.00
Zones 1-6 £14.30 £7.00
Zones 1-9 £15.70 £8.50
Zones 1-8 + Watford Junction £17.50 £13.30
Zone 2 £6.70 £4.60
Zones 2-3 £8.10 £4.60
Zones 2-6 £8.50 £4.60
Zones 2-9 £10.10 £5.10
Zones 2-8 + Watford Junction £12.10 £7.10
Oh my god ... same price ??? considering that the "single ticket" doesn't apply to london travel ticketing we can surelly get the "point" of comparing apples with apples ... the daily ticket is IDENTICAL to the single ticket.

Some comparisons:

Quote:
Oxford Circus to Cannon Street [London Underground]

Single fare: Cash £4.00 at any time.
Oyster £1.60 at any time.
By the way ... any other apple other than the "big apple" ??? .
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #65
sotavento

Quote:
I'm sounding like a broken record. 1) This is NOT my list, it's just an article I found. 2) They chose single fare, paper tickets because it was easiest to compare across all systems.
Ok then ... add my local Metro systemsa to the list:

Lisboa (Metropolitano de Lisboa) = 0$ ... there IS NO such thing as a papper ticket nor a single fare

Almada (Metro Transportes do Sul (to me its a tram but then again)) = 0$ ... there IS NO such thing as a papper ticket nor a single fare

Porto (Metro do Porto (to me its a tram but then again)) = 0$ ... there IS NO such thing as a papper ticket nor a single fare

We must live in the 3rd world or something like that ...

Then again in a more serious tone:

Lisboa metropolitan area (a electronic ticket costs you 0,5€) and we just add cash to them (wich is then discounted when we run the cards in entrance/exits, just like london oyster and most other european ticketing systems):

ML (metropolitano lisboa) = 0,8€ for 1 zone and 1,1€ for 2 zones
MTS = 0,85€ single trip) or 0,75€ (if you buy 10 tickets)

Notice: if you just want a single trip you need to PAY for the card and just return it when you end your trip (they just refund you the 0,5€)

If you walk out of the metro and enter a bus then things start to get complicated since both use the same ticketing so the BUS fare adds to the metro fare and you pay as low as 0,79€ fo the metro trip and anithing from 1,59€ to 2,7€ for the bus+metro trips (notice that you can use buses prior and after using the metro in this mode).

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #66
sotavento

Quote:
So really we need to tally the average cost of every single rider on a transit system, then compare across all system...

You are missing the point of the article. If I were to walk into a tube station, buy one ticket, one way, then what is the average cost I'd have to pay? If I were to walk into a CTA station buy one ticket, one way, what is the average cost? Etc, etc, etc. The article is comparing single tickets to single tickets...it doesn't make much sense to compare single tickets to monthly passes; or single tickets to reduced fare; or monthly passes to reduced fare; etc. Do you see the fallacy in doing such a comparison?

Let me put it this way: If I were to make a comparison is rental cars with manual transmission and look at the average costs from a number of different countries, what sense would it be to argue that most rental vehicles in the USA are automatic transmission? The comparison is still valid regardless of popularity of manual transmission in the US.
Single tickets are Almost nowhere to be seen here in this side of the pond ... unno:
— Eça
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #67
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Where and what is PATH?
Port Authority Trans Hudson. Only the busiest passenger per track mile rapid transit system in the world. Opened in 1908 as the Hudson & Manhattan railroad, taken over in the 60's by the PANYNJ who also owns and operates several NY area airports, a large bus terminal, ground zero/wtc and some other things. Hudson, because it runs in Hudson county, NJ, and manhattan, because it runs to Manhattan island.

It was financed primarily by the PRR as a way to get people to manhattan without using ferry boats.

Main site: http://www.panynj.gov/path/

I use this system quite often, it is very useful, and new, modern rolling stock is currently on schedule to replace dated rolling stock.

Fares were increased last november to 1.75 from 1.50. Still a deal!

- A
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #68
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

The single journey ticket fare (magnetic paper ticket) of Kolkata metro is Rs. 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 & 14. I live in Kolkata. There also 2, and multiride, and multi person ticket avilable. Smart card is also running.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #69
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

In Stockholm a single ticket cost around $6 USD or €4.5 EUR.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #70
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
In Stockholm a single ticket cost around $6 USD or €4.5 EUR.
Nope, not quite. For one zone in Stockholm the ticket is 30SEK which works out (according to xe.com) to be $4.39US or €3.38.

They are comparing single fare, single zone fares at the moment (a pointless exercise as transit users never buy single fares as you or I know and the monthly fares in Stockholm are quite low compared to the rest of the world where I have travelled).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #71
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
transit users never buy single fares as you or I know and the monthly fares in Stockholm are quite low
And what do Tourists do?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #72
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Well right now Philadelphia's is $2.00 and New York's $2.25 (supposed to go up to $2.50 by the end of the year).
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #73
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
And what do Tourists do?
As I did. Stockholm for example offer 1 day, three day, seven day or monthly passes. With that level of flexibility why would you begin to think about buying a single fare anywhere given the airport itself has a desk for buying tickets on the network?
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #74
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

In Sydney, it costs a whopping AU$4 (US$3.92) to travel 10 stops (within Zone 1) on CityRail. There are 4 stations (2 are Airport stations) that require a Station Access Fee. This is AU$10 for Airport stations and AU$2 for other stations.

But a weekly ticket that includes all buses, trains and ferries within Zone 1 costs AU$41 (US$40.18), with further discounts for monthly and yearly tickets.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #75
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
They are comparing single fare, single zone fares at the moment (a pointless exercise as transit users never buy single fares as you or I know and the monthly fares in Stockholm are quite low compared to the rest of the world where I have travelled).
Quite true. The other issue never mentioned is what area is covered in the singe "zone". Some cities may seem more expensive, but the area covered may be much larger.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #76
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Quite true. The other issue never mentioned is what area is covered in the singe "zone". Some cities may seem more expensive, but the area covered may be much larger.
So what we really should do is list a load of passes with prices translated into US dollars. For example I'll do Auckland and Stockholm.

Auckland:

There are four different bus companies in Auckland and one train company. You CANNOT use bus passes on different operators meaning you need to buy two separate passes or a combined pass to use different bus operators. You also can't interchange to the train unless you buy a train pass.

ALL PRICES USD

Single Fare
Bus:
One Zone: $1.37
Two Zones: $2.59
Three Zones: $3.42
Four Zones: $4.26
Five Zones: $5.18
Six Zones: $6.01
Seven Zones: $6.85
Eight Zones: $7.84
Day Ticket Buses (Excluding zone 8): $7.61

Train:
One Zone: $1.21
Two Zones: $2.36
Three Zones: $3.12
Four Zones: $3.88
Five Zones: $4.64
Six Zones: $5.10
Pukekohe Zone: $7.46
Day Ticket: $8.37

Combined Train and Bus Day Pass: $11.03

Weekly Passes and 10 ride passes
Bus:
Weekly all zones: $38.82

10 Ride:
One Zone: $6.85
Two Zones: $12.94
Three Zones: $17.84
Four Zones: $22.84
Five Zones: $27.02
Six Zones: $30.83
Seven Zones: $36.17
Eight Zones: $41.42

Train:
10 Ride:
One Zone: $10.36
Two Zones: $20.63
Three Zones: $28.09
Four Zones: $34.95
Five Zones: $41.80
Six Zones: $45.91
Pukekohe Zone: $66.55

Monthly Ticket:
Bus:
Monthly A Zone: $97.46
Monthly B Zone: $97.46
Monthly A+B Zone: $144.68

Train:
Monthly Ticket A Zone: $83.76
Monthly Ticket All Zones: $129.45
Monthly Ticket (Pukekohe): $182.76

Combined Bus and Train Ticket (Excluding Pukekohe and Waitakere): $175.14

Stockholm

Integrated transit with tickets valid on all modes.

Single Fares
Zone 1: $4.41
Zone 2: $6.62
Zone 3: $8.82

24 Hour All Zones: $14.71
72 Hour All Zones: $29.42

Weekly Ticket: $38.24
30 Day Ticket: $101.48
90 Day Ticket: $295.64
Annual Ticket: $1055.00

I think Stockholm is a perfect example of how expensive single fares are compared to the passes which are incredibly cheap by comparison.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #77
invincibletiger

Likes (Received): 2817

Kolkata metro is perhaps the cheapest. The lowest priced ticket costs Rs 4 ... with $1 = Rs 45, that makes it 0.09 USD.
invincibletiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #78
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

The fare of Madrid metro has been €1.00 ($1.30) for millenia...
Last Friday, I paid €1.45 ($1.88) for a single ride in Barcelona.

PS: Deasine, please add the "MISC |" before the thread title.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #79
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

in Buenos Aires a single is 0.21 euro or 0.27 U$S
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #80
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2532

Madrid
One way ticket for Madrid city: 1€ ($1,3).
One way ticket for Madrid city and metropolitan area: 2€ ($2,6).
One way ticket from Madrid city to Madrid Barajas airport: 2€ ($2,6).
One way ticket from Madrid metropolitan area to Madrid Barajas airport: 3€ ($3,9).
Ten trips for Madrid city: 9,3€ ($12,15).
Ten trips for Madrid city and metropolitan area: 15€ ($19,6).

Our one way ticket is one of the cheapest in Spain, but our "ten trips ticket" is the most expensive in the country.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote