daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #21
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Out of curiousity, where did you get the 25% safety margin?
I always thought it was in the lines between 15~20%.

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #22
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

It was in some notes I made about 15 years ago during a presentation by a JR official at a conference.
The EU standard is 20% and I percieve the Japanese authoriies to be somewhat conservative.

Last edited by Trainman Dave; May 28th, 2007 at 09:02 PM.
Trainman Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #23
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

theoretically it is possible to push a maglev beyond the speed of sound using low tempertaure superconductive magnets and superior aerodynamics.recently there have been big breakthroughs in low temperature superconductivity and there is even talk of developing vaccum tunnel lines i.e no air resistance,just pure raw speed and acceleration.

the next most significant breakthrough of this century will be room temperature operable super conductivity.when that is achieved only human imagination and ingenuity is the limit.
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #24
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Honda achieves 300km/h by two wheeled. Furthermore, Suzuki breaks the record.

"GSX1300R" of Suzuki broke record called 300km/h of top speed which Honda CBR1100XX has as a commercial motorbike in 1999. It exceeded 300km/h for the first time. Then, Kawasaki's "ZX-12R" exceeded 300km/h. However, it was judged that the top speed argument beyond this was dangerous, and each maker had the speed limiter which holds down top speed to 300km/h or less.

By a four wheeled, Honda achieves 400km/h.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=15&gl=jp

Thank you, I was focussed on fixed guideway systems.
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #25
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
President Kasai of JR Central said that he aimed at maximum speed 700km/h. He told in front of the JR-Maglev developer.
Interesting, but I would really like to understand what he said.

Was he referring to "design speed" or "operating speed"?
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #26
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I had a question about JR and its financial situation...

JNR was broken up and privatized into the current system of companies we have today, and near its demise it was in somewhere between US$200Bn to US$250Bn of debt. Did the companies that exist today inherit that debt or did the government cancel that? If such debt were passed on to the JR's it is difficult to imagine they would be able to spend any large sums of cash on new infrastructure let alone a maglev.

Anyways I look forward to seeing Japan continue to lead the way in railway technology.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #27
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
TGV achieved 572km/h by a run experiment.
Remark of President Kasai will point at the maximum speed by a run experiment, too.
Thank you for the clarification

I agree that they will have run at up to 700km/h during the testing procedures.
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #28
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion View Post
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I had a question about JR and its financial situation...

JNR was broken up and privatized into the current system of companies we have today, and near its demise it was in somewhere between US$200Bn to US$250Bn of debt. Did the companies that exist today inherit that debt or did the government cancel that? If such debt were passed on to the JR's it is difficult to imagine they would be able to spend any large sums of cash on new infrastructure let alone a maglev.

Anyways I look forward to seeing Japan continue to lead the way in railway technology.
I am not sure what the situation is today, but I believe that JR remained for many years as a business entity which continued to hold the old railway debt. This permitted the private companies to be established debt free. I would like to know what has happen to the debt. Is it still held by a remenant of the old JR?
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #29
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I think Maglev is interesting but I don't see the point in building it for extremely long distances. It makes more sense to build a maglev from a point in the city to the airport and then fly. Maybe I'm wrong about this.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #30
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I think Maglev is interesting but I don't see the point in building it for extremely long distances. It makes more sense to build a maglev from a point in the city to the airport and then fly. Maybe I'm wrong about this.
Tokyo - Nagoya - Osaka is not a very long distance with a hugh travel volume on the is route. The current shinkansen already carry far more people than the airlines despite Beoing delivering a version of the 747 with a seating capacity of 555 specifically for this route. Building a MagLev on this route undoubtly makes sense
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #31
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman Dave View Post
Tokyo - Nagoya - Osaka is not a very long distance with a hugh travel volume on the is route. The current shinkansen already carry far more people than the airlines despite Beoing delivering a version of the 747 with a seating capacity of 555 specifically for this route. Building a MagLev on this route undoubtly makes sense

I guess this maglev line will make it the "concorde" of the Japanese High Speed Rail system. It would make perfect sense.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #32
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I guess this maglev line will make it the "concorde" of the Japanese High Speed Rail system. It would make perfect sense.
I hope it has more longevity and that MagLev will last longer than "Super Sonic Transport" systems.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #33
Mr. Fusion

To me Maglevs are perfect for distances around 1,000 miles or less, because the fact it is slightly slower than an airplane and cannot travel in a straight line is made up for by the hassles of flying [check-in, security, boarding, baggage claim, etc.]

Any larger distance and the pain of flying is justifyable.
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #34
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion View Post
To me Maglevs are perfect for distances around 1,000 miles or less, because the fact it is slightly slower than an airplane and cannot travel in a straight line is made up for by the hassles of flying [check-in, security, boarding, baggage claim, etc.]

Any larger distance and the pain of flying is justifyable.
You are being to simplistic. The first MagLev line has to create a new link in the transportation network which will financially pay for itself. That has nothing to do with distance. It is all about creating new capacity to solve bottlenecks or over crowding on the network
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #35
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I wonder if the Chuo Linear Shinkansen could be extended all the way to Narita Airport.

Right now, the transfer from the Shinkansen platforms through the crowded corridors of Tokyo Station to the underground Sobu line platforms for the Narita Express is inconvenient when you have luggage. (Just try it on a holiday like Golden Week. You'll see.) That makes people from other cities want to fly to Narita for their international connections, rather than ride the train - taking up valuable and scarce runway slots at Narita.

The 1971 nationwide shinkansen plan legislation called for a full Shinkansen line to Narita and Narita Airport, and much of the right-of-way was acquired and some structures were even built. But the 1971 legislation was abandoned, and the right-of-way and structures were used for different lines (hokuso railway, JR narita line, etc)

Keisei Railway is building a $10bil new line along the Hokuso Railway right-of-way that will make the connection from central Tokyo to Narita Airport more convenient, but it still does not address the issue of high-speed, one-seat connectivity between areas outside Tokyo, and Narita Airport. That is where the linear shinkansen should come in. The Hokuso Railway right-of-way is very wide, and has soft curves since it was originally designed for the conventional Narita shinkansen, so perhaps it could accommodate the linear shinkansen as well.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #36
Mr. Fusion

Quote:
You are being to simplistic. The first MagLev line has to create a new link in the transportation network which will financially pay for itself. That has nothing to do with distance. It is all about creating new capacity to solve bottlenecks or over crowding on the network
You are right I was only pointing out that maglevs make an impractical inter-city application [like the Pudong line that runs from the airport to "near" the city] but are also impractical over a certain distance due to aircraft efficiency over greater distances.

Old December 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #37
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Japan to build 600 kmh fast Maglev for 45bln$

(only the route to Nagoya will be built)

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...h9wXJpjlmhfoHg

Quote:
TOKYO (AFP) — A Japanese rail operator said Wednesday it plans to introduce the world's fastest train in the next two decades, a next-generation maglev built at a cost of 45 billion dollars.

"It will be the fastest train ever -- if it beats the one in Shanghai -- with a velocity of about 500 kilometres (310 miles) per hour, travelling a distance of 290 kilometres," he said.

While the JR Central did not specify the exact location for the maglev, the company in its last annual earnings report wrote of a "first phase" between Tokyo and the central industrial hub of Nagoya.

A series of other maglev projects are being planned around the world.

Bavaria, Germany's richest state, said in September that it would build the country's first commercial maglev train line by 2014, connecting Munich with its airport 37 kilometres (23 miles) away.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0071226a8.html

Quote:
Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2007

JR Tokai to build maglev system
NAGOYA (Kyodo) Central Japan Railway Co. (JR Tokai) said Tuesday it will spend an estimated ¥5.1 trillion to build a magnetic levitation train system between the Tokyo metropolitan area and the Chukyo region centering on Nagoya.

The railway plans to begin operating the system in 2025.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...h9wXJpjlmhfoHg
Quote:
Japan plans world's fastest maglev train: firm

Thats the System they will use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR-Maglev

And thats the official website of the Project:

http://www.linear-chuo-exp-cpf.gr.jp/

Impressive

Last edited by pflo777; December 26th, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #38
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Very impressive and the trains look so nice
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #39
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Only one small problem:

Twenty years ago JR-railways made the same annoucment that they would have a MagLev line from Tokyo to Nagoya and Osaka before 2010.

I will begin to believe that this line might be built when I see photographs of construction in Tokyo.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #40
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Only one small problem:

Twenty years ago JR-railways made the same annoucment that they would have a MagLev line from Tokyo to Nagoya and Osaka before 2010.

I will begin to believe that this line might be built when I see photographs of construction in Tokyo.

Unfortunately you are right. Its the same with the Transrapid maglev in Germany and now in Shanghai.

But the difference now is that they have a perfectly working demonstration line, which is already part of the future Tokyo Nagoya line, and that they now announced to build it completely financed by JR-Central.

I am pretty sure, that this time, its the breakthrough.
(Even though I admit, that I thought exactly that several times in the past...)

I think its also a prestige thing, as China declared several days ago, that it now will finally build the Shanghai Bejing route with conventional rail for 350 kmh.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote