daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:19 AM   #461
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Dbl post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:27 AM   #462
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
PM Abe to offer maglev technology at meeting with Obama
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/ne...htm?from=ylist
Interesting, this kinda gets pushed into the back with all the talk of the TPP and North Korea.

*a check of today's dailies shows maglev on the front page of the Yomiuri as the lead story. The Asahi has nothing on its front page (it's focused on the TPP). The 64km long Washington DC-Baltimore route is seen as the probable route if the project gets off the ground, and possibly financing from the JBIC (Japan Bank for International Cooperation).

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; February 23rd, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #463
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
PM Abe to offer maglev technology at meeting with Obama
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/ne...htm?from=ylist
Not gonna happen.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM   #464
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Not gonna happen.
Care to contribute your wisdom as to why? I have my doubts myself, but it does make for interesting conjecture.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #465
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Well, even "traditional" high speed lines are struggling to get approval and support in USA. Maglev will be even more controversial, in my opinion. It would have been great, though.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #466
quashlo

I wouldn't recommend maglev for every corridor, but it's really not so far-fetched... The U.S. has the unique disadvantage (advantage?) of having piss-poor passenger rail infrastructure to begin with... Most of the trackage is owned by freight and isn't designed for high-speed operations, much less regular passenger service, so most everything needs to be built all-new anyways.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #467
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Care to contribute your wisdom as to why? I have my doubts myself, but it does make for interesting conjecture.
Seriously, isn't that obvious enough? Mission to Alpha Centauri is interesting too but it's not gonna happen neither. Here in Seattle a simple 4.3 mile light rail extension approved in 2008 won't be finished until 2021. Even in China the Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev was shot down due to environmental, cost, and network compatibility concerns.
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #468
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Not gonna happen.
Ughhh....I might have to agree. Getting anything done here in the U.S. except for highway expansion seems to take ******* forever or never at all.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #469
quashlo

JR Central on board with maglev offer for Northeast Corridor
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T00007.htm

Quote:
 安倍首相が日米首脳会談でオバマ大統領に表明した米国への「超電導リニアモーターカー」の技術提供を巡り、JR東海の葛西敬之(かさいよしゆき)会長は、将来、ワシントン―ニューヨーク間を直結するリニア路線が整備される場合に備え、対応を進める考えを明らかにした。

実現すれば、政府が成長戦略に掲げるインフラ(社会基盤)輸出の象徴的な存在になりそうだ。

葛西氏が読売新聞のインタビューに対して語った。

葛西氏は、ワシントン―ニューヨーク間を「日本の東京―名古屋間にほぼ匹敵する人口集積がある」と強調。現時点でリニアの有力候補とされるワシントン―ボルティモア(メリーランド州)間から、ニューヨークまで延ばして米国の2大都市を結び、時速500キロの「超高速バイパス」となることが想定されるという。実現すれば、ワシントン―ニューヨーク間の所要時間は、航空機に匹敵する約1時間に短縮される。

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #470
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

Nice, how far north are they proposing.
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #471
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Never will happen. Amtrak said $151 billion for Northeast Corridor high speed rail(USA... so add another 100 billion to it). Maglev would be double that.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #472
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

If Maglev was ever to come to the states before the next centennial, it'll have to be through private means.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #473
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Never will happen. Amtrak said $151 billion for Northeast Corridor high speed rail(USA... so add another 100 billion to it). Maglev would be double that.
I agree that it will not happen in the next 30 years (never is too long a time frame for me), but the Amtrak price is grossly inflated even for a heavily urban area.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #474
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

If the population in that area doubles, the US suffers an economic downturn pulling salaries down, and newer cheaper materials take over from copper, then I wouldn't completely rule it out in 80 years! ;-)

When that is said, I think it would be a great idea. However I'm almost certain american politicians doesn't have what it takes to pull this off no matter how many positive side effects it would have on the economy. Unfortunately.

Last edited by Bannor; March 8th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #475
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
Nice, how far north are they proposing.
The article says the first candidate segment is between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, with eventual extension to New York. The graphic then shows an arrow going further up to Boston.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #476
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Why can't they help us with High Speed Rail instead of this , never will happen Maglev....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #477
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Thats for the entire Northeastern plan which is about 3,700+ miles but its still inflated by at least 70 billion....however NiMBYS are very expensive in this region.
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #478
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Why can't they help us with High Speed Rail instead of this , never will happen Maglev....
They will gladly do that as well. If any HSR in US is to be built in a near future a significant amount of foreign expertise will be needed (for the first 10-15 years at least). There will be a lot of competition to provide it since the potential market is so huge. If the first line built in US succeeds there will be many more. Right now everybody is offering whatever they have... Japanese seem to be particularly active, but I'm sure European construction companies and rolling stock manufacturers won't sit idly either. There are at least 3-4 distinct groups there with a sufficient expertise and experience.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #479
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
They will gladly do that as well. If any HSR in US is to be built in a near future a significant amount of foreign expertise will be needed (for the first 10-15 years at least). There will be a lot of competition to provide it since the potential market is so huge. If the first line built in US succeeds there will be many more. Right now everybody is offering whatever they have... Japanese seem to be particularly active, but I'm sure European construction companies and rolling stock manufacturers won't sit idly either. There are at least 3-4 distinct groups there with a sufficient expertise and experience.
New England would gladly let build up there network , but they seem to pass it off....and pursing dead ideas....
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #480
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
That is probably the reason why Japan is proposing maglev instead of conventional wheel on rail HSR since there is very little competition in that field.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote