daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #481
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post

They will gladly do that as well. If any HSR in US is to be built in a near future a significant amount of foreign expertise will be needed (for the first 10-15 years at least). There will be a lot of competition to provide it since the potential market is so huge. If the first line built in US succeeds there will be many more. Right now everybody is offering whatever they have... Japanese seem to be particularly active, but I'm sure European construction companies and rolling stock manufacturers won't sit idly either. There are at least 3-4 distinct groups there with a sufficient expertise and experience.
I think AVE is going to seal the CAHSR deal... I think CSR (China) has teamed up with GE which also gives it some clout.

I'd like to see Japan do something similar, as I really am (superficially) partial to their rolling stock :-)

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #482
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Didn't Japanese offer Shinkansen technology to potential lines in Texas?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #483
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think AVE is going to seal the CAHSR deal... I think CSR (China) has teamed up with GE which also gives it some clout.

I'd like to see Japan do something similar, as I really am (superficially) partial to their rolling stock :-)
By AVE do you mean Talgo?
It may cause some issues if the HSR networks are running on various incompatible systems
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #484
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

European systems are generally compatible with each other and Chinese trains are derived from there. Japanese technology is different, but I'm sure it could be modified to meet whatever compatibility requirements are needed.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #485
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

By AVE do you mean Talgo?
It may cause some issues if the HSR networks are running on various incompatible systems
Yes, sorry. Talgo.

I only think this because I know they've been very aggressive (for a very long time) on exporting their expertise.

Also, they have a really good track record of completing things below cost.
Then again, we're just talking about the rolling stock not the management of construction so...

It's really a toss up. I don't know enough about the technology. I just the shikansen looks the best :-)

And the new AVG from SNCF
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #486
pdovak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Didn't Japanese offer Shinkansen technology to potential lines in Texas?
Indeed: http://www.texascentral.com/
pdovak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #487
pdovak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
That is probably the reason why Japan is proposing maglev instead of conventional wheel on rail HSR since there is very little competition in that field.
The reason Japan is proposing maglev is that JR Central has invested so much money into the SCMAGLEV and their Shinkansen, but they are running out of ways to make money in Japan (one can only open so many lines between Tokyo and Osaka). They were one of the last hsr operators to promote overseas (starting in 2010: http://english.jr-central.co.jp/comp...rmation-16.pdf) because they found so much success at home, but I imagine that can't sustain them for much longer.

Realistically, the NEC is the only place that the SCMAGLEV would work outside of Japan (because China and Europe are out of the question). Nowhere else has the population and economic growth that would give it the ridership it needs to work. If the SCMAGLEV is ruled out entirely for whatever reason, I'm sure they'll shift efforts to promoting the N700-I there instead.
pdovak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #488
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdovak View Post
How likely is this project to succeed?
In the US they love to talk big, but it rarely actaully happens.
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #489
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:

Realistically, the NEC is the only place that the SCMAGLEV would work outside of Japan (because China and Europe are out of the question).
Beijing-Shanghai wouldn't work?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #490
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

Beijing-Shanghai wouldn't work?
I don't think any would for that length (I have doubts about the NEC too...)

I think city pairings like NYC-Philadelphia, Shanghai-Nanjing, San Francisco - San Jose, etc are more convenient, if the hope is to dramstically expand labor markets (i.e. People live in Philadelphia/Nanjing and commute to NYC/Shanghai).

Then again, it remains to be seen 1) what the upper speed limits are and 2) how cheaply it can be run.
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #491
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I don't think any would for that length (I have doubts about the NEC too...)

I think city pairings like NYC-Philadelphia, Shanghai-Nanjing, San Francisco - San Jose, etc are more convenient, if the hope is to dramstically expand labor markets (i.e. People live in Philadelphia/Nanjing and commute to NYC/Shanghai).

Then again, it remains to be seen 1) what the upper speed limits are and 2) how cheaply it can be run.
Seeing how you would need to build new everything , it would make it very expensive vs Regular HSR unless it was built in Texas or the Midwest...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #492
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
How likely is this project to succeed?
In the US they love to talk big, but it rarely actaully happens.
Texas is cheap to build in....and if its all private then its a go...
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #493
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Realistically, the NEC is the only place that the SCMAGLEV would work outside of Japan (because China and Europe are out of the question). Nowhere else has the population and economic growth that would give it the ridership it needs to work. If the SCMAGLEV is ruled out entirely for whatever reason, I'm sure they'll shift efforts to promoting the N700-I there instead.

There are various other routes around the world that can only be connected with Maglev time consciously due to distance like Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok, Saigon - Hanoi, Melbourne - Canberra - Sydney - Brisbane, Kolkata - New Delhi - Mumbai - Bangalore, New York - Chicago, etc.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #494
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
There are various other routes around the world that can only be connected with Maglev time consciously due to distance like Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok, Saigon - Hanoi, Melbourne - Canberra - Sydney - Brisbane, Kolkata - New Delhi - Mumbai - Bangalore, New York - Chicago, etc.
New York - Chicago could actually be done very well with a 320-350 km/h regular HSR. You can go by some other cities along the way, and the distance would be comparable to Beijing-Shanghai.

Of course it's never gonna get done, but it doesn't require maglev.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #495
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
New York - Chicago could actually be done very well with a 320-350 km/h regular HSR. You can go by some other cities along the way, and the distance would be comparable to Beijing-Shanghai.

Of course it's never gonna get done, but it doesn't require maglev.
I really do not think the people of the US will accept a 1250Km trip on conventional wheel on rail HSR which is going to take at least 4 hours when an airplane can cover that distance in two and a half including boarding/disembarking and transit to and from the airports.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #496
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
I really do not think the people of the US will accept a 1250Km trip on conventional wheel on rail HSR which is going to take at least 4 hours when an airplane can cover that distance in two and a half including boarding/disembarking and transit to and from the airports.
It takes 45-1hr to reach Airports outside CBD's in NYC , DC , Chicago , LA , San Fran , etc....then another 60mins of Airport crap.....so you've already wasted 2hrs.... Hence why Intercity Rail ridership has exploded and overtaken Air Travel here in the Northeast....making lines even faster would only add to the booming ridership but I don't think Maglev's are feasible in this region.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #497
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
It takes 45-1hr to reach Airports outside CBD's in NYC , DC , Chicago , LA , San Fran , etc....then another 60mins of Airport crap.....so you've already wasted 2hrs.... Hence why Intercity Rail ridership has exploded and overtaken Air Travel here in the Northeast....making lines even faster would only add to the booming ridership but I don't think Maglev's are feasible in this region.
JR Tokai did a cost comparison of the Chuo Shinkansen utilizing the Shinkansen and the Maglev.

Cost comparison in Japanese
JR Tokai had already decided on route C which is on the right hand of the chart.

The breakdown is it only cost 22% more to construct maglev on the same route comparing to Shinkansen.(Maglev 187 million USD/Km, Shinkansen 153 million USD/Km)
The potential ridership per Km is roughly double the amount resulting to 10 yen per passenger per Km for maglev compared to 13 yen per passenger per Km for shinkansen for Operational cost.
3 yen per passenger per Km for maglev compared to 4 yen per passenger per Km for Shinkansen for Maintenance/Upgrade cost.
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #498
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
A direct flight from NYC to Chicago takes between 2:30 and 2:50 so I don't see where is your 2:30 door to door time come from. If including arrive at least one hour prior to flight and 45 minutes to an hour travel to the airport we are looking at 4:30 to five hour door to door for air travel. And that's assuming there is no delay due to traffic congestion or weather. For 350-380km/h HSR travel you are virtually guaranteed 4:30 door to door.
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #499
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
A direct flight from NYC to Chicago takes between 2:30 and 2:50 so I don't see where is your 2:30 door to door time come from. If including arrive at least one hour prior to flight and 45 minutes to an hour travel to the airport we are looking at 4:30 to five hour door to door for air travel. And that's assuming there is no delay due to traffic congestion or weather. For 350-380km/h HSR travel you are virtually guaranteed 4:30 door to door.
More the reason why you would want Maglev which will get you door to door within 3 hours tops.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #500
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The investment will be much higher and the passenger traffic won't be able to justify it, if four and half hours door to door time is competitive compare to air travel, why bother with maglev?