daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #501
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The investment will be much higher and the passenger traffic won't be able to justify it, if four and half hours door to door time is competitive compare to air travel, why bother with maglev?
Japan tends to find that 4:50 station to station time of Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Tokyo-Fukuoka (1067 km) has trouble competing with air.

2:30 Tokyo-Osaka is another matter. But still, Tokaido Shinkansen is full at 10 trains per hour, and 16 cars each.

The options would have been:
1) quadrupling the Tokaido Shinkansen
2) a new and better built but still wheeled Shinkansen shortcutting the mountains
3) an incompatible but faster Maglev on the route of 2)

Japanese decided that 3) is only slightly more expensive, and more useful, than 2). What would the Tokyo-Osaka trip time of 2) have been?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #502
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Japanese decided that 3) is only slightly more expensive, and more useful, than 2). What would the Tokyo-Osaka trip time of 2) have been?
The answer is 2 hours as written within the link I provided in earlier post.

Cost Comparison

One more point, the most train on the Tokaido Tokyo- Osaka route within a hour is 13 not 10. Not all start from Tokyo.

http://railway.jr-central.co.jp/jiko...ound130301.pdf

Last edited by SamuraiBlue; March 14th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #503
nemu

Likes (Received): 2

As someone who frequents the Tokaido Shinkansen, the reasons for Chuo Maglev (besides time and technology) are obvious

1. Tokaido Shinkansen is already at full capacity. Trains are nearly always full even with some services running as close as 3min apart.

2. Much of the services are Nozomi which only calls at major stations. This is stifling JR Tokai's ability to run more Hikari and Kodama trains. If some of the traffic can be shifted, the current line can provide better service, more passengers and revenue.

3. JR Tokai's wants to diversify their risk as their business currently is essentially one line.
nemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #504
pdovak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Beijing-Shanghai wouldn't work?
I'm sure it would, I'm looking at it from a political perspective.
pdovak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #505
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Here is the latest upgrade status of the Yamanashi Maglev test course.

Busfotodotnl liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #506
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

Thanks for the update, what month is it due to open?
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #507
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Sagamihara City mayor open to train yard for Chūō Shinkansen maglev
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1303180014/

Quote:
 JR東海が進めるリニア中央新幹線計画で、車両基地の設置が相模原市緑区の津久井地域で検討されている問題で、加山俊夫市長は18日、雇用や観光面で地域振興につながるとして、前向きな認識を示した。

市議会3月定例会で栗原大氏(みんなのクラブ)の一般質問に答えた。

リニア計画をめぐっては、新駅の誘致が同区の橋本駅周辺に決定。車両基地については、JR東海が公表した環境影響評価方法書で「概略の位置」として津久井地域が示されていた。

加山市長は、具体的な設置場所については「今秋以降、JR東海によって具体的に示される」と明言を避けた上で、車両基地が設置されれば「整備点検のほか清掃・クリーニング業務が行われ、地域における新たな雇用が生まれる」と好意的な受け止めを示した。

また、リニア中央新幹線は、地上駅付近を除いて8割の区間でトンネル内を走行するため、地上に設置される車両基地には鉄道ファンなどの観光需要も見込めることから、「観光資源としての活用など地域振興の視点を踏まえた施設となるよう、JR東海に要望していく」と述べた。
JR Central wants to build a train yard for the new maglev line in the Tsukui area of Midori Ward, Sagamihara City, and the mayor of Sagamihara City has expressed that he is generally supportive of the proposal, as it will bring new job opportunities to the area, as well as tourists (excepting the aboveground stations, about 80% of the maglev line will be in tunnels, so there will be limited photo opportunities for railfans). Not mentioned in the article, but I suspect there may be some environmental opposition, as this is a mostly rural part of the city up in the mountains. There’s also a giant lake (Lake Tsukui) in this area that feeds into the Sagami River.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #508
quashlo

Bogie connection complete for L0 series prototype
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A320C1L91000/

Quote:
 東海旅客鉄道(JR東海)が2027年の開業を目指すリニア中央新幹線。車両の心臓部は超電導磁石を組み込んだ「台車」だ。山梨県の車両基地で営業仕様車両「L0系」に台車の取り付けを完了。複数の車両をつなげて機器の連携を確認するなど、13年末の試験走行へ急ピッチで準備を進めている。

L0系は昨年11月に山梨リニア実験線の車両基地(山梨県都留市)に台車部分を未装着のまま5両を搬入。これまでに順次台車の装着を終えた。

JR東海のリニアの特徴は台車に据えた「超電導磁石」にある。台車には液体ヘリウムを使った冷凍機を搭載。マイナス269度まで冷やして電気抵抗をゼロにし、普通の磁石を大きく上回る磁力を生み出す。

この超電導技術が時速500キロメートルを実現させる。車両の床下に冷凍庫を積んで走るイメージで、車両基地で一旦電気を供給して超低温を維持すれば、長時間大きな電流を流し続けられるという。台車側面の超電導磁石と側壁に据えたコイルの作用で浮上・走行する。

台車には低速時に使うタイヤも内蔵する。接地走行用の4本と、側壁と車両の間を支える4本で計8本。これを飛行機のように出し入れする。時速150~160キロ程度までタイヤで走り、高速時は自動で収納。地上10センチで浮いたまま走る。

L0系は技術を保全するため詳細を明らかにしていない点が多い。5両は日本車両製造と三菱重工業が製造しているが、工場や超電導磁石の製造会社などは非公表だ。
Work on installing the bogies / undercarriage containing the superconducting magnets for the prototype L0 series has been completed at the maglev’s train yard in Tsuru City, Yamanashi Prefecture. They will now begin coupling the cars together into the test formation and confirm the connectivity of the various devices in preparation for the start of test running in late 2013. The first five prototype cars were delivered to JR Central from Nippon Sharyō and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in November of last year without bogies, but they’ve been working on installing them since.

The bogies contains the key components required to propel the trains forward, including liquid-helium cooling devices that lower the temperature to -269°C, reducing electrical resistance to zero and creating the magnetic interactions between the train’s magnets and the guideway coils that push the train forward. The bogies also contain the eight rubber tires (four underneath and four on the side) to support and guide the train during low-speed movement (up to 150-160 km/h). When traveling at high speed, the wheels automatically rise into the train, leaving the train levitating at 10 cm above the guideway.

Test track under construction near Misaka Town (now Fuefuki City):

Old March 27th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #509
Hegemonic

Thanks for the update.

It has probably been said before, but how many cars will the commercial maglev contain?
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #510
pdovak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
Thanks for the update.

It has probably been said before, but how many cars will the commercial maglev contain?
Current plans are for up to 16 cars (14 intermediate and 2 lead), similar to existing Shinkansen trains.
pdovak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #511
Revas

Likes (Received): 3

Hi,

Will the whole overground part of the line be hidden under concrete roof like the one on the video posted by quashlo ?
Revas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #512
quashlo

Currently unclear... It may very well be required from a noise perspective (Japan has strict regulations regarding noise). I think JR Central are being a bit hush-hush about it since I think a lot of local residents may find it aesthetically unpleasant.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #513
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Is the noise from Maglev higher than from Shinkansen? I would have guessed less despite the higher speed because of absence of friction.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #514
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

The biggest issue at those speeds is the wind noise, but also in Japan's case is that the numerous tunnels will give chance to produce numerous "tunnel booms" as trains enter and exit them at high speeds.
This is probably why JR central have decided to cover much of the line between the tunnels, but as seen on previous pictures that they have left some sections open and the tunnel mouths have been fitted with plates with various number of holes in them as an attempt to try and mitigate this pressure wave phenomenon.
Like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by castermaild55 View Post
We have to wait and see what they come up with as they start to test the new trains on the extended line. If this works then we might see more open sections, if not then they might end up covering most of the line, apart from non built up areas.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #515
quashlo

リニア実験線走行試験を9月再開 3カ月計画前倒し
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article/...701002067.html

JR Central announced that they will restart running tests on the maglev line in September of this year, three months earlier than originally expected… The original schedule was end of this year, but construction of the test track extension has been proceeding apace, so they were able to accelerate the schedule. Tests have been halted since 2011.09 to allow them to extend the 18.4 km test track, where testing began in 1997, to 42.8 km.

They also said they have begin making adjustments to the L0 series prototype and the necessary test equipment at their railyard in April of this year. They will begin the first phase of checks in preparation for the running tests as early as June.

Equario liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #516
Hegemonic

Wow that's awesome news.
Hopefully they will open the commercial maglev earlier also 2018 should be nice

Does maglev have a information centre or display centre worth visiting?
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #517
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

awesome news.
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #518
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Nice! If they start testing in September, will that mean we can ride it this year?

I was also wondering, will it ever be possible to convert the tokaido line to Maglev operation and could those holes in the tunnelplates be filled with fans and that way generate electricity? (Maybe for the tunnel lighting?)
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #519
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
I was also wondering, will it ever be possible to convert the tokaido line to Maglev operation and could those holes in the tunnelplates be filled with fans and that way generate electricity? (Maybe for the tunnel lighting?)
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I have a theory that the Japanese engineers that are developing the JR Maglev took it into consideration that they would at some point in the future replace the HSR Shinkansen Lines with Maglev. The reason why I got this idea is that the dimensions of the Maglev train is so much smaller than the normal Shinkansen train that there is space to build Maglev "track" within the space available today on the non Maglev lines.
So, Yes I believe that it's possible to replace the lines if they want to. However I don't think that they will ever convert the Tokaido Shinkansen since they are building a dedicated Maglev line between Tokyo and Nagoya (and eventually all the way to Osaka), which will parallel the older Tokaido Shinkansen, so I don't see the point of doing it. Also replacing the track in the Tokaido Shinkansen would be harder than the newer lines since much of the track is built on embankments. The newer lines use a lot more Slab-track which would make it easier to pre-fab the Maglev sections and also make the conversion pretty quick, since then they would more or less just have to lift down the old pieces and replace them with the new, connect it all up and it would be ready to go. With an embankment you have to build the track from the ground up before the Maglev track would be put in.

On the second one, Yes it would be possible, if it's worth it? I don't know.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #520
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
Does maglev have a information centre or display centre worth visiting?
Hm, I don't know if it's "worth" going there... I might wait until they start allowing the public on the test rides again, although there are some exhibits about the maglev and you can still see the maglev guideway from the third floor observation deck. It's also free (no entry fee), but it's not exactly easy to reach, since it's in semi-rural Yamanshi Prefecture. The closest station is Kasei on the Fuji Kyūkō Line, and from there you can either walk or take a taxi.

Info:
http://www.pref.yamanashi.jp/linear-...enter/top.html