daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #581
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
This one also has some good window views, showing the scenery of Yamanashi prefecture (that you probably won’t get to see much of when the line opens).
Apparently a good portion of the above grounds bits will also be covered, for sound mitigation. The city of Nakatsugawa in Gifu Pref. is hoping JR Tokai will leave a portion of the line through their city open to the air, so they can build a "maglev park" where people (tourists mainly, I reckon) will be able to see the train pass by.

Essentially though, the Chuo Shinkansen is a very high speed intercity subway for business travelers, a flight level zero executive airline, targeting those who currently patronize the Nozomi services regularly.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #582
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
That's due to the main flaw of the JR system. The magnets are powerful enough to cause harm to pacemakers and credit cards, so magnetic shielding must be used. The Transrapid system mitigates this, but has its own flaws in the fact that the magnetic arrangement is attractive and thus unstable.
It's more of a precautionary measures since you're not going to drop dead without the guide way entrance.
I wouldn't call it a flaw either since it does not hinder service time for passengers.
The Transrapid system is not a flaw either but a characteristics of EMS and it is not going to suddenly drop on to the guideway if that is what you are implying.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #583
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Inside looks a bit like in an airplane as well with those very small windows.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:37 AM   #584
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

If i understand correctly, you won't see the train when waiting at the platform to board?

It will be covered there also?

No photo ops?
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM   #585
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

I think that's correct.

It's not so much a platform as an enclosed waiting room extending the full length of the train, with movable gates at each door.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:37 PM   #586
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
they can build a "maglev park" where people (tourists mainly, I reckon) will be able to see the train pass by.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM   #587
quashlo

Japan to strengthen maglev marketing efforts in U.S.
米にリニアの売り込み強化へ

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...257901000.html

On 2013.09.03, Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga Yoshihide took a 505 km/h test ride on the L0 series maglev for the Chūō Shinkansen at the maglev test track in Yamanashi Prefecture, and said he would strengthen efforts to market the pioneering technology to the U.S., which is seeking to build its own high-speed rail network. Suga expects that JR Central’s unique maglev system will become a huge asset in Japan’s infrastructure export efforts and vastly change the state of intercity transport in Japan, increasing the country’s global competitiveness.

===

The article has a video report.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #588
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
That's due to the main flaw of the JR system. The magnets are powerful enough to cause harm to pacemakers and credit cards, so magnetic shielding must be used. The Transrapid system mitigates this, but has its own flaws in the fact that the magnetic arrangement is attractive and thus unstable.
Technical characteristics like this is what made maglev no longer viable in China, where opposition caused by concerns of electromagnetic radiation have halted even conventional HSR construction.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #589
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

^ which is all nuts.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #590
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Technical characteristics like this is what made maglev no longer viable in China
No, it was about cost. It was just too expensive.

Civilians protesting formed a very good excuse: "See how well we listen to our citizens!".

Telling citizens it has all just gotten too expensive makes you lose too much face
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #591
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
No, it was about cost. It was just too expensive.

Civilians protesting formed a very good excuse: "See how well we listen to our citizens!".

Telling citizens it has all just gotten too expensive makes you lose too much face
It's a bit more complicated, the Transrapid maglev system is based on EMS which has a very short pitch between magnets requiring a high polarity change frequency of 250Hz at high voltage to obtain 400Km/h making it a challenge to obtain higher speeds. I speculate that PRC nor Transrapid was willing to invest in R&D to develop a new frequency inverter that can achieve higher frequency at high voltage required to exceed 500Km/h so top speed of 400Km/h was the limit for their system which is not that different from conventional wheel on rail HSR forcing PRC to abandon the plan entirely.

By the way electro magnetism pollution for Transrapid is a complete trumped up story since the magnets and voltage associated with Transrapid system is no different from conventional wheel on rail HSR.
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #592
33Hz

The Transrapid has gone 500 km/h in Shanghai...
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #593
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
The Transrapid has gone 500 km/h in Shanghai...

You were saying,,,,
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #594
33Hz

Yes 430 km/h in regular service but 500 km/h in testing. So if the inverters can't support that speed, tell me how did it reach it?
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #595
hmmwv

SMT went above 500km/h in test runs. But Transrapid 09 (latest one) is designed to have a 500km/h operating speed with a 550km/h maximum speed.
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #596
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I found the Shanghai Maglev to be extremely uncomfortable at 430 km/h.

The Beijing-Tianjin HSR was a LOT smoother (i.e. completely smooth) at 330 km/h, and actually smoother than the Maglev was at 330 km/h (it shakes a lot).
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #597
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
SMT went above 500km/h in test runs. But Transrapid 09 (latest one) is designed to have a 500km/h operating speed with a 550km/h maximum speed.
Those figure are only on paper since Transrapid's test course in Emsland, Germany was only designed for 400Km/h.
Another point is that speed for maglev whether it be EMS or EDS is controlled by it's frequency inverter not by the train itself. So a train maybe designed to withstand 500Km/h commercial service but able to carry it out are two different things all together.

As for 500Km/h testing, it's like overclocking a CPU. It can be done but it is neither advised or guaranteed by the manufacturer. You just rev up the multiplier and crank up the power input. The problem is it will over heat and the synchronized sinusoidal wave will start to fluctuate causing the system to go down.
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #598
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:

The Beijing-Tianjin HSR was a LOT smoother (i.e. completely smooth) at 330 km/h, and actually smoother than the Maglev was at 330 km/h (it shakes a lot).
I don't remember if I was uncomfortable (I was a bit too excited to be very aware of anything at the time), but it definitely is a bumpy ride.
https://plus.google.com/112570666607...ts/JPgNwQ8tyCM
https://plus.google.com/112570666607...ts/bdvmzmmXywr
Old September 6th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #599
hmmwv

Quote:

I completely agree, when I catch those slow rides (330km/h) it's so much more uncomfortable compare to a CRH380A at 359km/h. At 430km/h I often become concerned and shift to the backward facing seats, just in case.
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #600
quashlo

No noise hoods for maglev crossing over Tenryū River
リニア「覆い」天竜川設けず JR検討 騒音基準下回る

http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201309...I090009000.php

On 2013.09.05, it was revealed that JR Central will likely not install concrete noise hoods on the Chūō Shinkansen maglev bridge spanning the Tenryū River between Zakōji, Iida City (飯田市座光寺) and Takagi Village, Shimo-Ina District (下伊那郡喬木村). Apparently, noise analysis for the preliminary environmental assessment for the line, to be published soon, indicates that noise levels would not exceed the established 70 dB threshold for the homes closest to the line.

Over 80% of the 286 km maglev alignment between Tōkyō and Nagoya will be in tunnels, with the majority of the daylight sections buffered by noise hoods to meet Japan’s strict noise standards (70dB for residential areas and 75 dB for other areas). Of the approx. 50 km through Nagano Prefecture, approx. 3 km between the Zakōji / Kamisato–Iinuma areas in Iida City on the river’s right bank and Takagi Village on the river’s left bank will be aboveground and daylight. As a result, this may end up being one of the few sections along the alignment offering views of the maglev trains in operation at full speed.

===

As mentioned previously, they still plan on having small window “portals” along the noise hoods, allowing passengers inside the trains to see the outside change one scene at a time, sort of like a flipbook.