daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #641
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

I can't read Japanese, but is that 25km section of tunnel where Mt Fuji is?

How long would it take to bore it out?
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #642
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I can read it but I have no idea what "tosoneru" means. Maybe it means tunnel and above that it's something in Kanji then it says arupusu.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #643
nemu

Likes (Received): 2

Toneru just means tunnel
nemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #644
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
I can't read Japanese, but is that 25km section of tunnel where Mt Fuji is?

How long would it take to bore it out?

Last edited by castermaild55; October 15th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #645
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
I can read it but I have no idea what "tosoneru" means. Maybe it means tunnel and above that it's something in Kanji then it says arupusu.
It a mountain range called the Japan Southern Alps in Nagano.

The closest to Mt. Fuji is around 70Km to 80Km from the starting point.
The present test site is between 65Km and 105Km point.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #646
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

US company sets up maglev advisory board
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/1...dvisory-board/

Quote:
An advisory board has been set up to support a project to bring Japan’s Superconducting Maglev technology to the USA.

The Northeast Maglev (TNEM) has named a team of seven former government officials and senior industry executives who will work alongside the Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central) to drive plans for a 311 mph maglev system between New York and Washington DC.

TNEM believes that a high-speed maglev system bring economic benefits to cities along the east coast corridor – a region that contributes $2.25 trillion (15 per cent) of the US gross domestic product.

Built as a public-private partnership initiative, the system would transport passengers from New York to Washington in just one hour, outstripping the two hours 45 minutes it currently takes on Amtrak’s ‘high-speed’ Acela service.

Senator Tom Daschle, who will head the new board, said: “Imagine catching a 7.30 am train in New York City and arriving in time for a 9.00 am meeting on Capitol Hill. Or imagine travelling from BWI Airport to downtown Washington, DC in eight minutes.

“That will be the reality for millions of Americans if we can move forward with this important project, revolutionizing business and leisure travel and bringing tremendous economic benefits to the region.”

Advisory board members include:

Tom Daschle, Former Senator and Senate Majority Leader
George Pataki, former New York Governor
Mary Peters, former US Secretary of Transportation under George W. Bush
Kevin Plank, CEO and founder of Under Armour
Ed Rendell, former Pennsylvania Governor
Rodney Slater, former U.S. Secretary of Transportation under Bill Clinton
Doug Steenland, former CEO of Northwest Airlines
Christine Todd Whitman, former New Jersey Governor
Promo video… Don’t recall ever seeing the L0 series simulations before.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #647
quashlo

American VIPs including former South Dakota senator Tom Daschle and ex-governor of New York George Pataki took a 500 km/h test ride on the maglev.

ANN news report (2013.11.16):

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #648
quashlo

Air Water develops more efficient cooling devices for maglev
エア・ウォーター、リニア向け冷却装置 ヘリウム使用量削減

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A121C1TJ2000/

Air Water Inc. (エア・ウォーター) has developed a new cooling device for next-generation maglev trains that uses 1/100th of the liquid helium used by current cooling devices. The contraction and expansion of helium is key to vehicle levitation in JR Central’s superconducting maglev technology, part of the Chūō Shinkansen to open between Tōkyō and Nagoya in 2027.

The device was developed jointly by Air Water and the Railway Technical Research Institute (RTRI) at their research facility in Kokubunji City, Tōkyō. Compressed helium gas was injected into a sealed stainless steel pipe at fixed time intervals and subjected to repeated cycles of contraction and expansion. The researchers were able to cool the superconduction coils to -223 degrees Celsius. The devices would be affixed to the maglev trainsets, with four devices per car.

The design for the Chūō Shinkansen uses liquid helium at -269 degrees Celsius. With the supply of helium decreasing from the United States, the primary producer of helium, R&D efforts had been focusing on developing new, more efficient technologies for the Chūō Shinkansen as well as potential maglev system exports overseas.

ko7, phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #649
Hegemonic

OK, cool, does that mean more energy efficient and cost savings?
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #650
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
OK, cool, does that mean more energy efficient and cost savings?
With the supply of helium decreasing from the United States, the primary producer of helium, R&D efforts had been focusing on developing new, more efficient technologies...
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #651
Hegemonic

Is helium a limited resource that is running out, is that why the supply is decreasing?
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #652
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Yup... if you find out a cheap way to make more helium, you will be a billionaire by tomorrow.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #653
quashlo

Nagoya – Ōsaka section of maglev would still open in 2031 at earliest
JR東海社長「無理。国費投入でも5年遅れ」 リニア大阪同時開業

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/west/west_e...2300004-n1.htm

JR Central president Yamada Yoshiomi held a press conference in Ōsaka City on 2013.12.04 and responded to requests by the Kansai financial sphere to open the full length of the Chūō Shinkansen from Tōkyō to Ōsaka simultaneously. While he denied that the railway was stoutly opposed to accelerating completion of the second phase of the maglev from Nagoya to Ōsaka, Yamada commented that it would be physically impossible to complete the second phase concurrently with the initial segment to Nagoya.

The initial phase of the maglev Tōkyō and Nagoya is scheduled to open in 2027, with the extension to Ōsaka opening in 2045. Yamada was quoted as saying that opening the full length of the line in one shot would obviously make more sense for passengers, but that it would mean severe disruptions to the railway’s cash flow. The current plan allows JR Central to recoup the cost of constructing the initial segment as quickly as possible before focusing on the second phase to Ōsaka. Yamada did, however, say that he would consider accelerated alternatives as long as they do not risk the financial health of JR Central or the stability of the railway’s dividends to its shareholders.

While some members of the Liberal Democratic Party (自民党) are lobbying to direct federal funding to the maglev project in order to have the second phase open concurrently with the first, Yamada responded with a warning message about political interference, saying that the railway would not compromise on the maglev’s route, which must take full advantage of the superior speed and performance of the technology. Even if the full construction costs of the second phase were to be covered by government funds, Yamada said that studies and other preparatory work would still require additional time, meaning a delay of 4 to 5 years following the opening of the first phase to Nagoya.

In regards to requests by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) in the FY2014 tax restructuring plan to eliminate real estate acquisition taxes (不動産取得税) and registration and license taxes (登録免許税) for land and property purchased as part of the land acquisition process to construct the maglev, Yamada welcomed the plan. This policy is already used on other Shinkansen lines currently under construction.

===

Hopefully something can be worked out to accelerate the second phase… I don’t think they necessarily need to fund the entire costs, since it will still be 4-5 years after the Nagoya section opens. The biggest obstacle would probably be the local governments in Kyōto, which have been throwing everything they can to get the alignment routed through Kyōto Station instead of Nara. There are also some in Ōsaka who would prefer a more central terminal at either JR Ōsaka / Umeda or Namba, but I think most people generally recognize the value of Shin-Ōsaka as the terminal, given that it will make transfers with the San’yō Shinkansen possible.
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #654
quashlo

Someone programmed the maglev into RailSim…

Old December 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #655
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
While some members of the Liberal Democratic Party (自民党) are lobbying to direct federal funding to the maglev project in order to have the second phase open concurrently with the first, Yamada responded with a warning message about political interference, saying that the railway would not compromise on the maglev’s route, which must take full advantage of the superior speed and performance of the technology.
Good for JR Tokai. LDP pressure= shades of Tanaka Kakuei and the Joetsu Shinkansen
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #656
quashlo

On 2013.12.05, JR Central invited the press and other attendees to witness technicians measuring the magnetic field generated by the Chūō Shinkansen maglev trainsets at the maglev test center in Tsuru City, Yamanashi Prefecture. There is some worry among residents along the proposed alignment about the effects of electromagnetic radiation on human health, so the railway invited reporters and experts selected by local governments to watch the field measurements being taken both inside the moving train and at fixed locations along the alignment.
http://www.asahi.com/articles/TKY201312050371.html

All the measurements came out below the thresholds established by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP国際非電離放射線防護委員会) and accepted by the MLIT, as stated in the preparatory environmental impact assessment documents published by the railway in September. The thresholds of safe exposure are 400 mT when stopped and 1.2 mT when running at 500 km/h—values below this are not expected to cause any effect on humans.

A total of 20 guests including university professors and selected staff from 7 prefectures and 5 major cities (政令指定都市) attended the event. The maximum observed magnetic field strength during 500 km/h running was only 0.184 mT at the test center itself and 0.8 mT inside the trainset, still below the 1.0 mT threshold established by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (厚生労働省) for those with pacemakers.

phoenixboi08, 3737, Equario liked this post
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #657
quashlo

Maglev public test rides to resume in 2014
リニアL0系で試乗再開へ JR東海、2014年中に有料で

http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/201312...I090010000.php

JR Central announced that it intends to begin offering paid test rides on the L0 series superconducting maglev trainset to some members of the public in 2014. Performance tests of the L0 series on the 42.8 km test track in Yamanashi Prefecture, recently extended in August, are proceeding apace, and the railway hopes to begin offering the public test rides as early as December of next year.

The initial 18.4 km segment of the test track was completed in 1997, and for the nine year period through to April 2007, a cumulative total of 146,000 passengers took advantage of free 500 km/h public test rides offered. The new L0 series is a revenue trainset with a larger interior and improved ride comfort, and the railway is conducting the final performance tests before mass production. The extended test track allows the maglev train to travel at 500 km/h for approx .1m 30s. The next round of public test rides will be paid, and will be conducted on Saturdays and Sundays when performance tests are not conducted.
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #658
Hegemonic

Damn, I was hoping that it would have been started by now.
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #659
quashlo

Tenri City mayor wants to back out of competition for Nara maglev station
リニア中間駅誘致 天理市長が撤退表明 奈良

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2130002-n1.htm

On 2013.12.19, the mayor of Tenri City (天理市) indicated his plan to back out of the competition for Nara Prefecture’s station on the Chūō Shinkansen maglev, reiterating concerns regarding Kyōto Prefecture’s aggressive efforts to reroute the maglev alignment.

Within Nara Prefecture, Tenri City, Nara City (奈良市), Ikoma City (生駒市), and Yamato Kōriyama City (大和郡山市) had indicated their interest in hosting Nara’s maglev station. However, the mayor remarked that a consensus should be reached soon, and that the time for competitive interests between cities is over. When asked by the City Council about establishing a special office to push Tenri City’s candidature for the new station, the mayor responded that he had no intention to do so given the city’s budgetary and staff situation. Instead, he is hoping to contribute constructively towards prefecture-wide efforts to secure the maglev station.

===

Hopefully, Nara can sort this out and get its act together… On its own, JR Central doesn’t seem interested in entertaining the love calls from Kyōto, but with the weight that Kyōto has, it doesn’t seem entirely impossible that they could influence politicians at the regional and national level to offer JR Central a deal it can’t refuse—i.e., funding a substantial portion of the second phase of the maglev between Nagoya and Shin-Ōsaka with minimal strings attached, but only if they send the alignment through Kyōto. Apparently, some members in Kansai’s financial sphere are sympathetic to Kyōto’s cause.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #660
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Regarding simultaneously building the line to Osaka... This line will run in the red until it runs to Osaka.

Regarding Nara... It makes sense to me that Nara city is the station. As far as Osaka is concerned, a Nara stop seems to make more sense for them too. It would force high value customers to go through the heart of Osaka to get to Kyoto.

Kyoto's tourism won't be affected too greatly as tourists will likely mostly opt for the regular Shinkansen.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote