daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #921
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Go back and educate yourself.

All three you talk about is one and the same. The phenomenon is based on the Meissner effect which repels magnetic field and thus bend the magnetic field around it.
"The videos posted show not only the Meissner effect, but also flux pinning, or quantum locking. That is something the JR Maglev just does not do".

And still: it does not mean the train can not be propelled off the tracks by a foreign object on the track.
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #922
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Every time, new technology triggers concern. The engineer needs to prove safety. The maglev generates much excitement in the railroad industry.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #923
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

In any case, wouldn't these same rules apply to a regular train (or even transrapid's train). The wheels on a conventional train don't have any power to stick it to the ground.

If it were feasible for a train to lift off in an accident of some type then I'm sure it wouldn't matter the propulsion method.

The magnetic field, in fact, helps to stabilize and lock the train into place. No it's not quantum locking but magnets do tend to try to keep in alignment.

The wraparound design may look less in danger of flying off the rails but if you think about it would be just as catastrophic. Those underwings will do very little to keep the train from leaving the track.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #924
Silly_Walks

So has some kind of detection system been built into the track to warn against objects on the track? Or will it be monitored by cameras?
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #925
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
"The videos posted show not only the Meissner effect, but also flux pinning, or quantum locking. That is something the JR Maglev just does not do".

And still: it does not mean the train can not be propelled off the tracks by a foreign object on the track.
You really do not get it, do you.
As I have posted before there are all the same, Meissner effect is Quantum locking which is flux pinning. They repels magnetic field and thus bend the magnetic field around it.
The end cause is the magnetic field will hold the superconductive material within the magnetic field unless there is strength stronger then the magnetic field to dislodge it.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #926
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Maglev toy train goes on sale, and it actually floats.
But to be careful - the mechanism this toy maglev floats is not the same as the real one.

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products...ner/index.html

Old May 26th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #927
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8811

Is it sad that this man-child actually wants one?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #928
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

No I reckon this version, also from Takara Tomy, is much more hi-tech:

Its even got a modern train activation whistle!

wsalavarr liked this post
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #929
2co2co

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post

No I reckon this version, also from Takara Tomy, is much more hi-tech:

Its even got a modern train activation whistle!
Wheels......lol

But seriously, simulating the actual maglev suspension mechanism in the size of toy is an engineering challenge.

A fast moving maglev trainset induces current in the wall coils, and the induced current generate a magnetic field that levitates the trainset.... Doing this in toy scale will require either the toy maglev moving at ridiculously fast speed or pumping up of the magnetic field by external power supply, which will make it incredibly expensive

2co2co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #930
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2co2co View Post
Wheels......lol

But seriously, simulating the actual maglev suspension mechanism in the size of toy is an engineering challenge.

A fast moving maglev trainset induces current in the wall coils, and the induced current generate a magnetic field that levitates the trainset.... Doing this in toy scale will require either the toy maglev moving at ridiculously fast speed or pumping up of the magnetic field by external power supply, which will make it incredibly expensive
The one above LinearLiner also offered from TakaraTomy, operates on the same principle as a Maglev and as you mentioned it is incredibly expensive with a price tag of 35,000 yen to start sales from September this year.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:01 AM   #931
bluemeansgo

I've been looking everywhere for more information on the record 603km/h run. All that I can find is piecing things from YouTube. It took 22km to reach 603km and it kept up that speed for 10 seconds. However, I haven't found anywhere how long it took to reach that speed.

I saw another video in Japanese which seemed like it would reach 500km/h in 2 minutes. Also, I haven't seen anyone comment on if that acceleration is felt more than the Shinkansen. It's considerably faster than the N700, which reaches 300km/h in 3 minutes.

Note: In comparison, the TGV took 12m40s to reach 574.8 km/h.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:51 AM   #932
Silly_Walks

Aircraft accelerate to almost 300 km/h in less than a minute. That pushes you back into your seat somewhat.

I think the acceleration in the maglev will push you back into your seat far less than that. At least I know the 431 km/h acceleration of the Shanghai Transrapid did.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 04:04 AM   #933
bluemeansgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Aircraft accelerate to almost 300 km/h in less than a minute. That pushes you back into your seat somewhat.

I think the acceleration in the maglev will push you back into your seat far less than that. At least I know the 431 km/h acceleration of the Shanghai Transrapid did.

Aircraft are also inclined slightly in flight which makes it seem like it's accelerating faster than it is.

I wonder how the acceleration of the jr maglev compared to the transrapid version.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 05:09 PM   #934
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
I wonder how the acceleration of the jr maglev compared to the transrapid version.
I think accelerating to 500 km/h on the maglev will be very comfortable.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:17 PM   #935
Darth Reg
na na na na na na na na

Likes (Received): 993

What is the status of the Chuo Shinkansen. When will the construction work between Tokyo and Nagoya begin? Last time I checked in, the news said work shall begin in early 2015.

BOOKMARK INDIAN RAIL INFO & RAIL NEWS FOR ALL RAIL-RELATED NEWS.
Darth Reg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #936
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Reg View Post
What is the status of the Chuo Shinkansen. When will the construction work between Tokyo and Nagoya begin? Last time I checked in, the news said work shall begin in early 2015.
It already has. I believe there is a picture of showning construction taking place within this thread.
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #937
*Tomodachi Maikeru*

Likes (Received): 31

There is not much information regardinng the construction progress at all, I have looked around and couldn't find anything.

I know platform construction has begun at Shinagawa station, but has tunneling works started?
*Tomodachi Maikeru* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #938
*Tomodachi Maikeru*

Likes (Received): 31

No construction updates, but this is a video of a recent trip to the Maglev Exhibition Center.
Starts with some passes of the Maglev vehicle and then goes into a scientific explanation of the principles with a demonstration. It then finishes with a short movie of how an actual trip would take place between Tokyo and Osaka.

mrsmartman, jam5 liked this post
*Tomodachi Maikeru* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #939
2co2co

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tomodachi Maikeru* View Post
There is not much information regardinng the construction progress at all, I have looked around and couldn't find anything.

I know platform construction has begun at Shinagawa station, but has tunneling works started?
Yes: http://www.sankei.com/economy/news/1...270031-n1.html

Taisei Corporation started tunnel construction. But "started construction" does not mean tunnel boring machine is already in place and digging.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/economy/201...YT1T50085.html

Construction of Shinagawa station went to a joint venture lead by Shimizu Corporation.

*Tomodachi Maikeru* liked this post
2co2co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #940
Guere

Likes (Received): 8965

BBC News hitched a ride on the test track last week:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34829621
Guere no está en línea   Reply With Quote