daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2016, 12:08 AM   #961
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
@Silly_Walks

The big difference between Tokyo and Amsterdam is that the soil in Amsterdam can be described much more as liquid earth. There won't be the need to freeze the soil in Tokyo to make sure the surrounding structures won't subside.
Thanks. Amsterdam has very difficult soil to make subways in. They had to do quite a bit of grouting and freezing the soil.

Tokyo is lucky in that respect. But Amsterdam doesn't have big earthquakes, so I guess that helps
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:14 AM   #962
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Thanks. Amsterdam has very difficult soil to make subways in. They had to do quite a bit of grouting and freezing the soil.

Tokyo is lucky in that respect. But Amsterdam doesn't have big earthquakes, so I guess that helps

I think around Shinagawa station is Landfill

south part of Shinagawa station was reclaimed after Meiji

http://sea.ap.teacup.com/nikkeif/img/1454393643.jpg

Before EDO

around Shinagawa station was reclaimed from 1600 to 1632

there was Mt. kanda

In case of tokyo. there are some mountains in tokyo
The Tokyo Bay has been reclaimed  by cutting off the mountains.
Tokyo was made to be flattened artificially by land reclamation.and these soil were used for tokyo bay reclamation

Ieyasu Tokugawa, who gained an overwhelming victory at the Battle of Sekigahara (1600), planned to build Edo castle. However, a vast extent of land was needed to build a port for large vessels carrying building materials as well as many lumberyards. Then, Ieyasu ordered military commanders across the country to level Mount Edo Kanda (Suruga-dai) to fill in part of Edo bay.

Last edited by castermaild55; February 2nd, 2016 at 07:08 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:03 AM   #963
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Amazing, thank you!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #964
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63140

The building site is taking shape along Shinagawa Station.

http://view.tokyo/?p=23372
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #965
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

The latest show of the Japan Railway Journal on NHK World was about the JR Maglev.
Watch it on the NHK World Website, it will run 3 more times in their live stream (today and tomorrow) and then be available on demand for about another 30 days afterwards.
More info at: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

I have to say that this video really shows how the riding comfort is like. Much more as an airplane than a train. Both take-off and then Landing again on the wheels seems to mimic a real airplane, especially since it produces a noticeable bump in the ride comfort. The ride itself seems to be not as smooth as thought.
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #966
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #967
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Are there any new funding plans for Chuo Shinkansen?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:33 PM   #968
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

A few years ago, I saw a diagram of the potential stopping pattern of the Chuo Shinkansen. It was called the diamond pattern, or something like that. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Basically, it outlined how, given 5 trains per hour why only one of them would be all-stops. Essentially, each train left i 20 minute intervals, and the all-stops train would be passed at specific stations along the way.

Does anyone have any links to that site? I believe the site was in Japanese.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #969
Heavenly Field

Likes (Received): 90

There has been a lot of speculation regarding potential Maglev servicing patterns, but I believe one of the first articles that tried to work out the specifics was this:
kenplatz.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/knp/column/20090824/534916/

It's quite old, but because it supplies a sample diagram, I think this is what you mean.

Sorry, first time poster, so no direct linking.

loefet liked this post
Heavenly Field no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 04:58 AM   #970
bluemeansgo

JAPAN | Maglev

Thanks!! And welcome 1st time poster

Here we go
Http://kenplatz.nikkeibp.co.jp/artic...090824/534916/

And the image I remember:

Old September 9th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #971
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

More contracts signed for maglev’s Nagoya Station
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/chubu/news/...YTNT50437.html

On September 6, JR Central signed another contract related to construction of new platforms and other facilities at Nagoya Station to accommodate the maglev, marking another major step towards the FY2027 opening of the line between Tōkyō (Shinagawa) and Nagoya. Construction has already begun on the two other major construction areas, for the Southern Alps tunnels and the station at Shinagawa.

Similar to the other two sites, the maglev’s Nagoya Station requires complex construction work, as the station will extend about 60 meters wide and 1 km long approx. 30 meters below the ground, crossing the existing station at a right angle. Given the volume of required excavation, there was some risk with using tunneling machines to construct the station, so they will excavate down from ground level instead using a cut-and-cover-style approach. The tracks and other infrastructure for the Tōkaidō Shinkansen and conventional lines at the station will require extensive shoring and support to ensure that train service is unaffected during construction of the maglev.

This latest contract is for two segments (totaling to 220 m of the 1 km station) under land owned by JR Central and Nagoya City, and will not require any property acquisition. The central east segment (中央東工区) underneath the conventional line platforms was awarded to a three-team JV including JR Tōkai Construction (ジェイアール東海建設), while the central west segment (中央西工区) underneath the Tōkaidō Shinkansen platforms was awarded to a JV led by Ōbayashi Corporation (大林組). The construction period will last about 2 years, 9 months, from September 7, 2016 to May 31, 2019. Contracts for the remaining segments, which will require property acquisition, will be finalized at a later time. With assistance from the Hanshin Expressway Company (阪神高速道路会社), which has extensive experience in land acquisition in built-up urban areas, JR Central is currently working together with Aichi Prefecture and Nagoya City on negotiations with approximately 120 property owners. There may be difficulties as land values rise in anticipation of the opening of the line, but the railway hopes to finish land acquisition by 2019 before beginning construction on the remaining segments of the station.

In December 2014, JR Central began construction on staging areas and other ancillary facilities, but this is the first major contract for the station itself. The contract award was originally scheduled to take place in FY2015, but was delayed to FY2016 after changes to the construction methods.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:21 AM   #972
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Government preps ¥3 trillion injection to expedite maglev project by eight years
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...y-eight-years/

Quote:
The government is poised to offer ¥3 trillion ($29.6 billion) in loans to Central Japan Railway Co. (JR Tokai) in an attempt to expedite high-speed maglev services between Tokyo and Osaka by up to eight years, government sources said.

Under the plan — which involves amending the law to legalize such loans — the government will lend ¥1.5 trillion in both fiscal 2016 and 2017 from the fiscal investment and loan program to private JR Tokai, which was building the magnetically levitated train system with its own money for launch in 2045.

Nagoya‒Ōsaka segment will now open in 2037 if everything goes as proposed.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #973
keber

Likes (Received): 1365

Is there any map that shows current construction sites? Or at least places, where construction is already in progress?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #974
Heavenly Field

Likes (Received): 90

They're working on Shinagawa Station and the tunnel underneath the Southern Alps at the moment. JR Central's site has updates including this pdf which shows a map of the current progress with sites under construction in red, but I guess you need Japanese to navigate these.

Hegemonic liked this post
Heavenly Field no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #975
bluemeansgo

For the benefit of all, I've kind of translated the basics into English:

What's striking is that the all-4-stops service (77min) takes almost double the time as direct(40min). If you were one stop away from either Nagoya or Tokyo, it looks like it might be faster to backtrack one stop and get on the direct train!

Ynhockey liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #976
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Looks like it would be even for two stops away.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #977
bluemeansgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Looks like it would be even for two stops away.
Which is pretty much the whole line. Essentially, anywhere you are on the line, you should be able to go back 1 or 2 stops and reverse direction taking the direct train.

Old October 8th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #978
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Out of curiosity - what's the L0 series' head-end power source?

I get that motive power comes from the superconducting magnets, but what about powering onboard motors/lights/etc?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #979
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Out of curiosity - what's the L0 series' head-end power source?

I get that motive power comes from the superconducting magnets, but what about powering onboard motors/lights/etc?
At the moment a diesel power generator which will be replaced with power induction coils like the wireless battery chargers for smart phones.

luacstjh98 liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:37 AM   #980
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63140

10/19

The current situation behind Shinagawa Station. Still preparing the site on street level before they start to dig the 1st entrance/exit shafts.

IMG_1617 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_1618 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_1622 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_1624 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_1628 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_1632 by Momo1435, on Flickr

Sr.Horn, Arnorian, Munwon, quashlo, xXFallenXx and 4 others liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote