SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tampa ranks 53rd largest city

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  smiley 
#1 ·
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Tampa has moved up to become the 53rd largest city in the United States.

The City of Tampa's population increased by 5,404 persons from 2007 to 2008, surpassing Santa Ana's growth of 1,863 persons.

Tampa now has a population estimate of 340, 882 people.

11-year old Gordon Walter wasn't surprised by the ranking and thinks it's great Tampa is now numbered as 53.

"I think the higher you go on the rankings it's more important more people will come," Walter said, "The economy of the state will be better."

According to Tampa's director of growth management, Cynthia Miller, Walter is right.

"Our taxes are allocated, sales taxes throughout the state," Miller said, "It's important how congressional districts are configured."

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that Tampa's population increased by 37,418 persons or, 12.3 percent, since the 2000 Census.

This information was provided as part of the recently released census population estimate from July 1.
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/7/8/493653.html?title=Tampa+ranks+53rd+largest+city

See less See more
#6 ·
Why couldm't they call the mayor instead of asking a 11-year-old kid? And I wonder what Baker would have to say to learn that the population of his city has gone down.

#9 ·
I'm not sure of that at all. There are large portions of nothing in St. Pete, which is now bleeding back into the "bustling" DT that we all heard so much about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.