daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #421
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

You can always adapt. Airlines discovered that in the early 80's. Today, is pretty much common knowledge that, even for air shuttles or short-haul fights, you get lower fares if you buy in advance, and that is financial suicide to book a flight at the airport, 15 minutes before check-in closes, unless you absolutely need to do it (and are willing to pay a huge fare because you really need to travel ASAP).

30 years ago I wasn't even born, but I know from what I've extensively read that many domestic air services, being heavily regulated by the State, were not permitted to give discounts or to charge any fares but the predefined (by a state agency) ones. So it didn't matter if you planned a holiday 4 months in advance like I do, or if you just showed up at the airport 30 min before take-off, you paid the same.

Things changed and people still use airplanes more than ever.

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #422
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

You can't plan 4 months before a trip from Zürich to Zug, Milan to Como, Berlin to Potsdam, Lyon to St Etienne, Barcelona to Tarragona, ...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #423
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
You can't plan 4 months before a trip from Zürich to Zug, Milan to Como, Berlin to Potsdam, Lyon to St Etienne, Barcelona to Tarragona, ...
Of course you can't. But you still can plan one day in advance or pay 50% more if you decide to travel at the last moment. Put the other way around: someone who needs to travel from Rotterdam to Amsterdam NOW will likely be willing to pay more instead of postponing the trip to the following day.

And people who travel often can just book the whole week's trip schedule in advance. Like many regular well-off air commuters do. You only lose flexibility to reschedule your trip at the last moment, but it's a risk you take for lower fares.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #424
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
...if you book in advance with low flex tickets, giving up all flexibility which NS Reizigers does have.
You can get the cheaper Fyra prices up to ten minutes before departure. If you missed it... just wait for the next train, get the cheaper fare and you will still be arriving at your destination before the NS train does. In my opinion your argument is not valid.
Maarten Otto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #425
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Of course you can't. But you still can plan one day in advance or pay 50% more if you decide to travel at the last moment. Put the other way around: someone who needs to travel from Rotterdam to Amsterdam NOW will likely be willing to pay more instead of postponing the trip to the following day.

And people who travel often can just book the whole week's trip schedule in advance. Like many regular well-off air commuters do. You only lose flexibility to reschedule your trip at the last moment, but it's a risk you take for lower fares.
Would you apply the same principle to mass transit? Make people reserve trips on the New York subway in advance?
Don't forget that Amsterdam - Rotterdam is basically mass transit. Lots of commuters. People who don't always finish at the same time...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #426
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
What kind of flexibility does one need if they can book the train up to ten minutes before departure?
It depends indeed how it is organized. I once booked a Thalys ticket for a train that was already on the platform (that was when the international sales at Rotterdam were still facing platform one). So I do want to be able to book up to the moment of departure...
Ticket vending machines that allow you to exchange a ticket for the next train available in a few seconds on the platform itself would also be handy.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM   #427
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Fyra news, or V250 news to be more specific. On the Dutch Somda website member Damian has left the following message (in Dutch, translation mine):
Quote:
Things aren't going all too well for the V250:

So far the only part of the V250 which has been approved is still the pantograph.

-Windshield wipers do not perform as expected and clear a too small area of the windshield.
-During rain and at high speed the train driver's sight is very limited.
-Climate control is not functional yet which leads to very high temperatures in the drivers cab.
-The readability of computer diplays in the cab car is bad.
-To keep the dead man's switch operable a piece of wood from Blokker (retail shop of all kind of crap) is used

In other words, it is safe to say that safety has been in jeopardy. And then this is only about the most important parts of the cab car, not mentioning the rest of the train.

The 5th V250 trainset has meanwhile arrived at the Watergraafsmeer depot, and has immediately been placed aside.

The temporary admission to perform V250 trial runs ends December 31st of this year.
Source (in Dutch): HSL-materieel-thread on Somda
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #428
Dubbeldekker

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Things aren't going all too well for the V250:
this really sucks , not to say my socks down ...
Dubbeldekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #429
Dubbeldekker

what we lack in the Netherlands / Belgium is a good railway magazine with editorials from thoroughbreds who know trains and our railway business ( are there ?) -

magazines are hobby like , modelling , news from abroad , but we miss rockhard editorials ( tabloids, Elsevier ... ? ) for example about this complete Fyra flaw , not to talk about the Sprinter confusion -

Nice there are websites like this , the general publick hardly knows anything about this , we're only busy with this Wilders F...head with his Moskopimp.

just bought the new railmagazine.com - I like those guys

Last edited by Dubbeldekker; October 24th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #430
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbeldekker View Post
what we lack in the Netherlands / Belgium is a good railway magazine with editorials from thoroughbreds who know trains and our railway business ( are there ?) -

magazines are hobby like , modelling , news from abroad , but we miss rockhard editorials ( tabloids, Elsevier ... ? ) for example about this complete Fyra flaw , not to talk about the Sprinter confusion -

Nice there are websites like this , the general publick hardly knows anything about this , we're only busy with this Wilders F...head with his Moskopimp.

just bought the new railmagazine.com - I like those guys

I can't agree more, fortunatley I lost all interrest in Dutch railways since I started to work at the Amsterdam Signalbox. If you like to read a good rail magazine with strong and hard editorials you might want to read Modern Railways, it's based on Britain and available at Waterstones in Amsterdam for around a tenner a month.

If you like to get a preview, you might search for Roger Ford or Captain Deltic.
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #431
Dubbeldekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
I can't agree more, fortunatley I lost all interrest in Dutch railways since I started to work at the Amsterdam Signalbox. If you like to read a good rail magazine with strong and hard editorials you might want to read Modern Railways, it's based on Britain and available at Waterstones in Amsterdam for around a tenner a month.

If you like to get a preview, you might search for Roger Ford or Captain Deltic.
yup, I was there this afternoon , bought the RAIL , Nigel Harris, Christian Wolmar and these guys, every 14 days , think I''ll go for a subscription. I like the Modern Railways also , yes Roger Ford and Captain Deltic - the November issue was not yet there
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #432
Maarten Otto

Modern railways is released every 4th friday of the month, during the fourth friday club meeting. In Holland you can get it every first wednesday...
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #433
Hubert Pollak

I think that good idea is to serve high-speed train on line Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Brussels Airport-Cologne. It would provide 1st direct link Rotterdam - Germany but also this way could provide faster service for Cologne-Amsterdam.It's longer way but I think with high speed it would be faster than shorter link which is served now by ICE trains.
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #434
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Fyra news, or V250 news to be more specific. On the Dutch Somda website member Damian has left the following message (in Dutch, translation mine):

Source (in Dutch): HSL-materieel-thread on Somda

This really is turning (turned) into a complete joke. It's pretty clear that cancelling and ordering off the shelf trains from any one of the competent manufacturers would get this project delivered much quicker.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #435
33Hz

Got to go at 300 km/h through the Netherlands yesterday. About time!

Now if the Belgians would just plug the slow 40 km gap between Brussels and Antwerp...
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #436
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
Got to go at 300 km/h through the Netherlands yesterday. About time!

Now if the Belgians would just plug the slow 40 km gap between Brussels and Antwerp...
That's under construction. Antwerp - Mechelen would be 160 (now 140 for most of the length). Between Mechelen and Brussels-Airport, a new high speed line is being built that will connect to the regular line to Brussels again there.

Decrease in travel time is not that great to go from Antwerp from Brussels, but it is very big to travel from Antwerp to Brussels Airport.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #437
33Hz

Why only 160 km/h?
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #438
K_

Quote:
Why only 160 km/h?
Because it doesn't make much sense having a higher speed on such a small stretch. I asume the alignment will probably allow a higher speed, but the power supply might not.
The biggest problem on that part of the network is congestion and relieving that wil improve matters.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #439
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Why only 160 km/h?
On the existing alignment, it would be difficult to allow more than 160 km/h.
Not much because of curves, but because there is a station in the middle
(Mechelen) where all trains stop, and also because there is too much traffic
on this line (10 trains per hour each way, from local trains calling at all 12
stations on the line, to express trains calling only at Mechelen) to allow paths
at 200 km/h : they would not blend at all with the existing traffic.

So for speeds greater than 160 km/h, a new alignment would be needed...
but in such a densely populated area, this is almost not feasable, or at least
not at any reasonnable cost.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #440
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
because there is a station in the middle
(Mechelen) where all trains stop,
Not the Thalys. And the Fyra-trains Brussels-Amsterdam will no longer stop in Mechelen after the V250-trainsets have replaced the current temporary equipment. From that moment, the 2-hourly Fyra Brussels-The Hague will be the only international train calling in Mechelen.

I hope the new railway Brussels-Mechelen (Line 25N) will reduce the travel time and HST's can pass through Mechelen station at 160 km/h.

Last edited by ArthurK; November 13th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote