daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1061
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The old Benelux train didn't call at Leiden AFAIK. It traveled straight from Schiphol to Den Haag HS.
It did, until 2000 or so. I assumed it carried mostly national travellers, as it was part of the 30 minute interval IC train Asd-Shl-Roosendaal
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1062
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
It did, until 2000 or so. I assumed it carried mostly national travellers, as it was part of the 30 minute interval IC train Asd-Shl-Roosendaal
I do remember the Benelux train being a part of the regular interval service. It must have been before 24 May 1998 as I just looked in the 1998-99 Spoorboekje and by then it was classed as an 'Int' train and didn't stop at Leiden in that timetable.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1063
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

European Commission to take a look on HSL contracts

Many people are wary of how the Dutch government is favoring NS over and over on HSL concession...

Quote:
The European Commission has begun an inquiry into whether the Dutch government is guilty of giving state support to railway company NS, something which is forbidden under EU law.

The case concerns the awarding of the contract for the high-speed line to the NS, according to NRC and based on sources at the transport ministry and the European Commission.

The NS won the concession for the high-speed line in 2001. In 2011, the line was made part of the national rail network in a contract that runs until 2025.

At the same time, the €148m annual payment to the government for the concession was reduced to €101m. According to NRC, the NS bid far too much in 2001 in order to win the concession, but the payments put it in financial difficulties.

Since 2011, the European Commission has received a number of complaints about how the concession has been handled. 'The government has lowered the payments and demands less of the high-speed line. That is unfair competition,' professor Chris Jansen told NRC.

Competing train companies such as Arriva and Veolia, who missed out in 2001, say the NS is being protected by the government. Veolia CEO Manu Lageirse told the paper he is talking to the European Commission about the case but has not yet made a formal complaint. Passengers' group Beter OV said recently it has made a complaint.

The debacle with the Fyra high-speed train, taken out of service earlier this year, means the NS is missing another point contained in the 2001 contract: that of speed. The Commission spokesman said they are 'aware' of this, NRC reports.
- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive....560C5XJ7.dpuf
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1064
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Finally!
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1065
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Visit the New Jersey Section

Sopomon, webeagle12, Silver Swordsman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1066
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

Although i can uderstand the rage of the people it should better said "dont buy trains from ansaldobreda" as italian citiziens are not to blame on the wrongdoings of a private company
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1067
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Indeed, but I can see the funny side of it when the trains will be sent back to the factory, and they cross the border ...
On the other hand, if I were an Italian minister, I would accuse the Dutch government of involvment in this vandalism. I'd call it state-sponsored vandalism or something like that.

If it were summer, the newspapers would be filled for days
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1068
Suburbanist
on the road

I think that is photoshoped...
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1069
Suburbanist
on the road

It has been announced that passengers on the future Amsterdam-London services will have to disembark and go through security/customs/immigration check in Bruxelles-Midi terminal when travelling to UK, but not when travelling to Netherlands.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1070
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS 16 View Post
Although i can uderstand the rage of the people it should better said "dont buy trains from ansaldobreda" as italian citiziens are not to blame on the wrongdoings of a private company
Yes but AnsaldoBreda are not the makers of Italian food so then the joke wouldn't work. It is just a joke.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1071
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Absolutely hilarious, that
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1072
AlexNL

Quote:
I think that is photoshoped...

It's not. However, the graffiti has already been removed.
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #1073
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
It has been announced that passengers on the future Amsterdam-London services will have to disembark and go through security/customs/immigration check in Bruxelles-Midi terminal when travelling to UK, but not when travelling to Netherlands.
Which means that the service will be doomed from the start.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1074
Suburbanist
on the road

How much time does it take to shuffle passengers through customs ans security checks in Lille (for trains coming from the Alps during winter or Mediterranean in summer)
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1075
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
How much time does it take to shuffle passengers through customs ans security checks in Lille (for trains coming from the Alps during winter or Mediterranean in summer)
I dunno, but too long for me to consider taking the train to London.

Too bad, I would have chosen the train for sure if I could just stay seated and the stops wouldn't be too long.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1076
AlexNL

My guesstimate is that it will take 45 to 80 minutes depending on train load.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1077
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
My guesstimate is that it will take 45 to 80 minutes depending on train load.
Given that they can't just change the departure time of a train at will this means it will always be 80 minutes. Which makes the planned stops in Rotterdam and Antwerpen pointless.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1078
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
It seems strange that someone has come out with this claim already, what's the source? Given that they have 3 years to sort this out - be it new facilities at the stations concerned or changing the law - it seems like someone jumped the gun.

Unless things change, they will have to make one of the through platforms at Brussels Midi able to be segregated. It's in the interest of Eurostar and DB to work together to stop the nonsense.

I'm sure from the British side there is a desire to stop illegal immigrants getting to UK soil and claiming asylum, which is the likely problem with a London only check. There are already security staff carrying out a ticket check after stopping trains depart Lille. I presume they are there to throw off anyone caught without a valid ticket to London at Calais. I don't see why this system can't be used to abolish the requirements on originating stations (perhaps limiting these to a simple ticket barrier system), with Amsterdam or Frankfurt trains making an unscheduled stop at Calais to remove anyone attempting to stay on the train to the UK.

Otherwise I agree. If this is enforced, the idea is a dead duck.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1079
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
better a spanish one
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1080
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Which means that the service will be doomed from the start.
I don't agree - if anything it may improve the economics of the service, as it should allow domestic passengers to use the service between Amsterdam and Brussels. The whole Fyra mess has provided an opening in the market, and with the announcement that Eurostar are hoping to put in a joint bid for the East Coast franchise in the UK it seems they are making a deliberate effort to diversify beyond international services.

Chris
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote