daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #161
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 17

Does LUAS mean swiftness in Irish by any chance? Pretty similar to Luaths (Scottish)

Looking really good, could maybe teach Edinburgh a thing or two about organisation.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM   #162
odlum833

Likes (Received): 464

Kind of. It means "speed" in Irish. I suppose it's the same thing.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #163
Viking74

Likes (Received): 22

I think it means 'speed' or something to that effect. Saoro will probably know for sure. It really only picks up speed though when it leaves the city centre (especially the Green line)
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM   #164
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Thanks guys - I checked online and it seems to mean speed / pace, so quite similar to Scottish it seems.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #165
Viking74

You're welcome NorthLimitation. I can't wait to see the Edinburgh tram system up and running. It was at an early stage of construction last time I was there. I'd imagine it will look top class in a city as beautiful as Edinburgh. A modern tram system next to all those amazing old buildings - nice!
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #166
odlum833

So is the BXD line next up? Seems the most advanced of the other planned lines.

http://www.rpa.ie/Maps/Luas%20Line%2...ish%200109.pdf

It also requires a new transport bridge to the East of O'Connell St bridge.

It seems they don't want overhead lines

Quote:
DUBLIN CITY Council has urged Bord Pleanála not to permit the use of overhead power cables on the proposed Luas Broombridge line through Dublin city centre.

In its submission to the hearing on the plan to link the existing red and green Luas lines, the council said the area from St Stephen’s Green to Parnell Square should be a “wire free” zone.

The council is also opposing plans to run the Luas on the central median of O’Connell Street from the Spire, which would necessitate the removal of the Fr Matthew statue.

The Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) wants to use the same overhead power supply system on the new line, which will link the Sandyford and Tallaght lines before continuing on to Broombridge in Cabra, as it does on the existing lines.

Dublin city planner Dick Gleeson yesterday told the hearing the proposed use of overhead cables would be “visually intrusive” on the sensitive streetscape of the historic core of the city which included the Mansion House, St Ann’s Church, Trinity College, the Bank of Ireland at College Green, O’Connell Bridge, the GPO and the Rotunda Hospital.

The council was particularly concerned about the effect such a cable system would have on College Green, Mr Gleeson said. The buildings, including Trinity College and the Bank of Ireland, were of such architectural quality and rarity that they should not be compromised, he said.

“While College Green currently suffers from an excess of hostile traffic and from various aspects of clutter including over-scaled planting, the relationship of buildings and space constitutes a dramatic urban composition and is the city’s most important urban space.”

The RPA plans to run the line on the road until it reaches the Spire on O’Connell Street where it would be moved on to the paved central median of the road until Parnell Square.

This plan is unacceptable to the council.

The proposed alignment would “detrimentally affect the integrity” of the street which was redeveloped over a four-year period by the council from 2001.

“The erosion of the median to the degree proposed will radically undermine the visual legibility and symmetry of the street,” Mr Gleeson said.

The RPA should instead keep the line on the road until after the Fr Matthew statue, which sits opposite the former Carlton cinema, where it could then join the median in order to enable it to turn on to Parnell Square, said Mr Gleeson.

The council had initially wanted to attach 109 conditions to the granting of permission for the line, he said, but following discussions with the RPA it had reached an agreed position on all but the two matters above.

If Bord Pleanála attached conditions which would order the use of an alternative power source for the line in the city centre, and change the alignment of the route through O’Connell Street, the council would be “fully supportive” of the Luas Broombridge, Mr Gleeson said.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #167
JD47

Likes (Received): 188

Luas means speed in Irish and I know that cause I speak it everyday.
Like that plan they had to put cable carts over the Liffey and they were going
to call it Suas which means up in Irish.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #168
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Surely it should be Shuas, considering it describes it's location, not it's direction?

I'm being pedantic, both Suas and Shuas would make sense. Do you have that in Irish? Suas for direction / motion and shuas for location / description?

I read a pretty funny article that joked that the reason Scottish and Irish suffered so much in terms of decline was because we took lenition too far, to the point that the entire language is silent

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #169
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Surely it should be Shuas, considering it describes it's location, not it's direction?

I'm being pedantic, both Suas and Shuas would make sense. Do you have that in Irish? Suas for direction / motion and shuas for location / description?

I read a pretty funny article that joked that the reason Scottish and Irish suffered so much in terms of decline was because we took lenition too far, to the point that the entire language is silent
Haha, Yeah, we have the same in Irish, though spelled "thuas", with a silent t suas implies motion.

....It seems its going to be BXD. Fuck.

Quote:
€15m Liffey bridge will go ahead -- Varadkar

By Cormac Murphy

Wednesday July 13 2011

WORK will start on a new €15m bridge across the Liffey this year despite the financial crisis.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar said the bridge, linking Marlborough Street to Hawkins Street in Dublin city centre, will be built.

The structure, to be located just downstream of O'Connell Bridge, will carry buses as well as the Luas and cyclists.

It is to be paid for as part of the Public Transport Capital Expenditure programme for 2011.

Mr Varadkar made the revelation at a Select Committee Meeting on Environment, Transport, Culture and the Gaeltacht.

The project was due to begin in late 2009 but was delayed as a result of funding concerns.

It is hoped the bridge will transform a neglected area of the capital, opening up new retail opportunities.

The project will incorporate flood protection walls, which double up as public seating and planters for flower displays.
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/c...r-2820460.html
saoró... está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #170
Viking74

I think that's a given at this stage Saoro. Unfortunately.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/new...d-2819980.html

Last edited by Viking74; July 13th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #171
Viking74

Just as a matter of interest, Is BXD a new line completely, or an extension of the green line? Are we now going to have a blue line or something?
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #172
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 163

It's an extension of the green line.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #173
odlum833

I heard today the new bridge has been given the go ahead and construction will commence shortly. Have we got any design diagrams, architecture drawings?

Old July 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #174
Verwolff
Politically incorrect

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I heard today the new bridge has been given the go ahead and construction will commence shortly. Have we got any design diagrams, architecture drawings?
You can find simple cross section of proposed bridge in this brochure.

Bridge Brochure
Verwolff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #175
odlum833

Thanks for that!

Interesting in that it opens up the boardwalk more which seems to integrate straight into the bridge. This is badly needed as the boardwalk is underused due to it's awkward realtionship with the quay walls.

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #176
Dan

Likes (Received): 1

What does BXD stand for?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #177
Morlan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What does BXD stand for?
Line BX = City Centre Luas (to connect the Green and Red Lines)
Line D = Broombridge Luas
Morlan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #178
Dan

Likes (Received): 1

Ah I see, so I guess all now points to this being the one of the big three to be chosen in September.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #179
JD47

Likes (Received): 188

I hope they finish the Luas and Metro North.
I was reading in the Irish Independant that the purposed Dart to the airport plan was going to go ahead which I think is wrong cause we have so much potential with the Metro.
I read somewhere that Ireland would be an ideal place to have 16 or 17 million people living here cause we have a great motorway system and Dublin and Cork is only a few hours by car and a few minutes by plane for business between the two citys.
It could work. Think about it.
Dublin=6 million people
Cork=3 million people
Limerick=1 million people
Belfast=4 million people
2 million people living in the country and in little towns.
It could be done and I would like it a bit.
What do you think.
Luas in Cork LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #180
odlum833

All the transport systems proposed in Dublin have to happen - it's as simple as that. It's about prioritisation now. What do we need right now? What can be delayed? In my opinion a rail link for the airport must be absolute priority. IF the DART connection can be done relatively cheaply it would be a good interim solution. I would not want to see it as a FINAL solution. Nor should it be promoted as such. There are vast swathes of North Dublin that need fixed line rail. Metro North kills alot of birds with the one stone. So hopefully come September decisions will be made and we proceed with some of these projects.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: