daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #21
Rotterdam Lis

Likes (Received): 0

Map Rotterdam Metro

Here you have the map of the Rotterdam Metro system.

Rotterdam Lis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #22
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

ROTTERDAM | Public Transport

A thread about the oldest and longest metro network/system in the Benelux (Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg). Here you can discuss things about the system, show pictures or anything else etc.

Facts:
- Rotterdam has the oldest metro network in the Benelux (1968)
- Rotterdam currently has the biggest metro network in the Benelux (55,3km)
- The Rotterdam metro system has 38 stations and 2 lines
- Rotterdam is the first city in the Netherlands to only use the OV Chip card to travel with public transport
- In 2012 a converted railway (then used by the metro) will be used
- In 2010 the Randstadrail will be fully completed towards The Hague
- Station Blijdorp is currently u/c and the deepest station in Rotterdam (-18m)
- Rotterdam wants to built a ring line and a small line to connect the other 2 lines to the new stadium

Map:

Future Map: (without ring line but with the converted line and a new use of colors)
[IMG]http://i32.************/20qxs92.jpg[/IMG]

Future Map: (Possible layout with the ring line)

Future Map: (Possible connection between both lines to connect them with the new stadium)

Pictures:

image hosted on flickr

Newest Metro Train: (Same as the Randstadrail train, only other color)
[IMG]http://i25.************/xll3xh.jpg[/IMG]

New Metro Stations: (Under Construction)
Blijdorp
[IMG]http://i28.************/2woavsl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/b5ksv5.jpg[/IMG]

Central Train Station (1 extra track and new layout)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_bewoner View Post

Last edited by xlchris; July 16th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #23
xlchris
Not much

Youtube Clips:
Station Wilhelminaplein

Station Central Train Station (old layout)

Station Voorschoterlaan

Station Leuvehaven

Station Rhoon

Station Nesselande

Station Beurs (old video)

Station Schiedam Centrum

Station Oostplein

Station Beurs

Last edited by xlchris; July 16th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #24
xlchris
Not much

Possible layout of the network in 2012/2020 with all future plans in it. Thanks to Slagathor.

(Click for bigger version)
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #25
hix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
A- Rotterdam currently has the biggest metro network in the Benelux (55,3km)
I think you are counting the common parts of the blue and red line twice. If you do that for Rotterdam, than you have to do the same for the cities you are comparing with.
I think the metro in Rotterdam today is not longer than 40 km. If you count the sneltram as metro than you have to do the same with Amsterdam and the premetro in Brussels. (55km minus 8km sneltram minus 10km shared tracks for red and bleu line = 37km)
I also count 36 stations, not 38. (You have probably counted Beurs twice and added the future station Blijdorp)

Last edited by hix; July 17th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #26
xlchris
Not much

^I got this information from several sites. It is the longest and oldest in the Benelux.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #27
hix
BANNED

Quote:
^I got this information from several sites. It is the longest and oldest in the Benelux.
The oldest, yes, but not the longest. Check it out for yourself. You say it's 55 km long. But the Erasmuslijn is 21.4 km long and the calandline (included sneltram) is 33.9 km long. But these line have a shared part. Conclusing the metro is NOT 55 km long but approx. 37 like I said.
It's true that Wikipedia makes the same mistake you made, but I suppose that's where you got your information.

I'm will go to Rotterdam now and make a few photo's. It's not so far!
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 5982

You forgot to count the Randstadrail part of the Erasmus line.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #29
WallyNL

Likes (Received): 1

Can you provide information about the possible layout by Slagathor. The whole plan doesn't seem to be based on any real plans by the transit authority (Stadsregio Rotterdam), at least I can't find any on the net.

Furthermore, there are currently only plans for a part of the ring line, from the current Zuidplein station, via a new intercity train station on the national rail line near a new soccer stadium, to Kralingse Zoom. It should be finished by 2018, in time for world soccer championship.

The 'Hoekselijn' railway to Hoek van Holland will be converted in 2011 and will connect at Schiedam-Centrum station. Operation will be similar to the RandstadRail line, i.e. it has at grade road crossings and trains switch from third rail to overhead power when leaving Schiedam-centrum station.

When comparing metro systems, make sure you provide information how the number of stations and distance is being calculated.
WallyNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyNL View Post
Can you provide information about the possible layout by Slagathor. The whole plan doesn't seem to be based on any real plans by the transit authority (Stadsregio Rotterdam), at least I can't find any on the net.
That's because I made it up. I did stick to relatively realistic scenarios, but it's still my personal creation.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...146297&page=60

Second post from the top & onwards.
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #31
hix
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
You forgot to count the Randstadrail part of the Erasmus line.
The Randstadrail is not connected yet to the Eerasmus line. And in my opinion the randstadrail is not a metro line. It is a suburban railway system.
The Hoekselijn will be a suburban railway line too.

I went to Rotterdam today and I made a complete ride on the system. In my opinion the system as a hole is more simular to a suburban railway system than a real metropolitan railroad.

I like the system very much. Especialy the integration of different systems: metro, sneltram en soon the randstadrail is super. The Rotterdammers, Schiedammers, Spijkenissers, The Hagenaren and other inhabitants of the cities that are served by the Randstad Metro can be proud.

IMO the Rotterdam Metro consist of two lines, 36 stations en about 37 kilometers of lines. I count the line to Spijkenisse as full metro, even that IMO it is more a suburban line as wel. When you look out of the window you see forest, meadows and cows. Not really a city railroad!

I will post some more pictures and a small video. First this is what you see when you look out of the window when riding to Spijkenisse:

Rotterdam is a great city. But exageration is maybe a little bit a typical Rotterdam thing?

Last edited by hix; July 18th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #32
xlchris
Not much

^Is it possible to remove that picture or make it smaller? It's to big and not very interesting.

@hix - I didn't count anything twice As I said before, I got this information from the internet. I even found the following on the internetsite of the city of Rotterdam;

Quote:
Inmiddels heeft het Rotterdamse metronetwerk een lengte van ongeveer 80 kilometer en maken jaarlijks 85 miljoen reizigers gebruik van het vervoermiddel van het vervoersbedrijf RET.

Meanwhile the Rotterdam metro network has a length of approximentaly 80 km and 85 million passengers use the metro every year.
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #33
hix
BANNED

Quote:
^Is it possible to remove that picture or make it smaller? It's to big and not very interesting.

@hix - I didn't count anything twice As I said before, I got this information from the internet. I even found the following on the internetsite of the city of Rotterdam;
But I suppose you can count yourself? I can, and I notice that these numbers are wrong. First or all, Erasmusline and Calandline combined are 37 km not 55 km. You can check that yourself. The fact that you found some internetsite that give wrong numbers doesn't prove anything.

Also the fact that the website of the city or Rotterdam likes to exagerate doesn't prove anything eather. Their are counting the randstadrail proudly as a part of the city metronetwork. But sorry, it's not a metro. It's not even in Rotterdam!

Rotterdam metro is 37 kilometers long, not 55 and not 80. Check it for yourself and stop refering to "some sites on the internet".

I found this on Urban rail:

Quote:
Erasmuslijn Centraal Station - Spijkenisse De Akkers, 21.4 km

Spijkenisse De Akkers - Schiedam Centrum - Capelle a/d IJssel | Ommoord | Nesselande, 33.9 km
This is a total of 55 kilometers! But these line have shared track of about 10 kilometers! So You can not add these numbers.
And in these numbers are also the tramlines of the Calandline, that's 8,5 kilometers.

So please stop this game, admid your numbers are wrong, and we can move on.

Quote:
It's to big and not very interesting.
That's what you see from the metro: trees, meadows and cows... I took it myself today. I was surprised to see that the metro leaves the city very quick and goes to other cities, such as Spijkenisse. But I grant you the advantage of the doubt and I still count it as full metro.

You can be proud of your metro and your public transport, but try to give correct numbers.

Quote:
and 85 million passengers use the metro every year.
You realise that is very little for a network of 80 km? (so they claim)
But sorry if I spoiled you metro-party. I made some nice pictures of the Rotterdam Metro. I will post them later.

Last edited by hix; July 18th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #34
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

It is a tad unfair to count all of Randstadrail, really. It'd be like
London counting all of Thameslink and Paris counting the whole RER.

The train to Spijkenisse is very much metro still, even though there might a be a slight patch of green in between Spijkenisse and Rotterdam... it's still very much one metro area.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #35
BART Rider

Likes (Received): 0

Is the Rotterdam system automated or do the operators run the trains?
BART Rider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #36
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

The trains have drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
It is a tad unfair to count all of Randstadrail, really. It'd be like
London counting all of Thameslink and Paris counting the whole RER.
No that's nonsense. First of all, you don't count all of Randstadrail, you count the Erasmus line. Randstadrail involves lightrail services as well, currently between The Hague and Zoetermeer but there's an additional line Zoetermeer-Rotterdam on the cards. That would be lightrail (trams, essentially) and therefore it wouldn't count.

For me, the Rotterdam subway system consists of the Erasmus line (especially when the Centraal Station link is finished) + the Caland line excluding the sneltram bit.

According to railix.net and urbanrail.net, that means the system is currently 58km long (that's Erasmus line section Hofplein line 21km + Erasmus line section Rotterdam CS - Spijkenisse 21km + Calandlijn minus the sneltram section 26km - shared tracks 10km).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post
The Randstadrail is not connected yet to the Eerasmus line. And in my opinion the randstadrail is not a metro line. It is a suburban railway system.
The Hoekselijn will be a suburban railway line too.
By what criteria? It is entirely separate from the regular railway network and serviced exclusively by subway cars that run on the current subway lines. How is it a railway line??

Quote:
IMO the Rotterdam Metro consist of two lines, 36 stations en about 37 kilometers of lines. I count the line to Spijkenisse as full metro, even that IMO it is more a suburban line as wel. When you look out of the window you see forest, meadows and cows. Not really a city railroad!
Sorry but this I really don't get. It's like you're searching very hard for arguments to make your opinion stand. A bunch of trees turns a subway line into a suburban railway? I think rather the nature of the line (it should be shared with regular trains) and the material (trains instead of subway cars) would place a certain iron track in that category.

What on Earth is your definition of a subway? It's like our two opinions are from two different planets

Last edited by Slagathor; July 19th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #37
xlchris
Not much

Why would I admid my numbers where wrong? I don't know, I won't count the number of stations or check how long it is when I get this information from several sites. And even if they share 10km together, then the line is still 45km long. I don't know why you are making such a big deal about this, are you from belgium? Because the Brussel metro isn't bigger, if that's what your implying. So let's move on with this thread about the Rotterdam Metro network.
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #38
hix
BANNED

Quote:
I don't know, I won't count the number of stations or check how long it is when I get this information from several sites. And even if they share 10km together, then the line is still 45km long. I don't know why you are making such a big deal about this, are you from belgium? Because the Brussel metro isn't bigger, if that's what your implying. So let's move on with this thread about the Rotterdam Metro network.
No, your numbers are wrong. and yes the Brussels network is bigger.

Quote:
Why would I admid my numbers where wrong?
Because they are. I dont know why you are trying to do this? Everybody can check these facts. Please do so yourself. And stop communicating these wrong numbers. The Rotterdam Metro is 37 km long, period. Dont be a child, facts are facts...

Quote:
And even if they share 10km together, then the line is still 45km long.
No, you are still counting the sneltram.

Quote:
I don't know why you are making such a big deal about this
I'm not making a big deal about this. It's not me who tries to prove that the metro of Antwerp is the biggest of the Benelux.... Stop manipulating the numbers....
I don't understand why you are using fake facts to prove that yours is longer? Isn't that a little bit silly? Just accept the real numbers and stop your absurd attempt to become the biggest...

The big deal is really that you are trying to convince the word of something that is simply not true. The biggest network of the benelux. No. Accept the facts and grow up...

Like you say, it's not a big deal. The Rotterdam metro is really super, for a city of that size. Please return to reality.... Rotterdam is NOT New York...

I really dont understand why you have such difficulty admidding that the numbers you gave are not correct? There's no shame in that?

Last edited by hix; July 19th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #39
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

hix don't forget my post, I'm still puzzled

Could you provide some information on the Brussels system? What parts are subway, what parts lightrail etc.? I'm very unfamiliar with it.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #40
xlchris
Not much

This is getting funny, you keep saying it are MY numbers but they aren't mine. I'm not trying to convince you that it's true, I know now that it's not 55km long. But I do know that it is the biggest in the Benelux. Anyway, the Brussel metro isn't bigger. You know that, I know that, everybody knows that. If so, it would have been said on many sites or anywhere else. I think a part of the Randstadrail line that goes from Hofplein towards the northern part of Rotterdam (Wilgenplas etc.) is still very urban. It has houses around it and not that much trees (considering your standards it is urban). So that can also be counted as part of the metro.

My advice, start looking around on the internet instead of looking at the numbers I posted here (also from the internet). Try to find out if there is any site matching your ideas. Please tell us when you found something like that.