daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #101
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Yes, my numbers are correct. You can do it yourself if you don't believe it, it took me quite a while

41 stations btw And 1 u/c.

10 stations on the Erasmusline (without the shared part and without Beurs)
27 stations on the Calandlijn (with the shared part and with Beurs)
12 stations on the extra part of the Calandlijn towards Nesselande & Binnenhof, this is a Lighrail track though
- 1 station (Nesselande) on that extra line is a metro station (27+10+1 = 38)
1 station u/c on the Erasmusline (Blijdorp/Statenweg)
4 stations on the Randstadrail/Erasmusline that are located in Rotterdam (Hofplein/Melanchtorweg/Wilgenplas/Rodenrijs)

So that is 38+3 = 41 (and 1 u/c)

Look at the following map;

You can see that the line matches the metro criteria at station Nesselande, the other parts are lightrail, but that is metro line.

At this map you can also see that station Nesselande is a real subway station so it should also be counted as one

In 2010 when the station Statenweg is finished station Hofplein will be closed, so it will have 41 station eventually. Then we have to wait untill 2012. In 2012 the Hoekse Lijn will be added to the network (shared Lighrail/Metro line). This line is 24km long. Then the network will be approx. 68km long. The Hoekse line now has 11 stations (if I'm right). There will come about 3 or 4 new stations on this line. The network will have about 56 stations then.

Last edited by xlchris; July 23rd, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #102
JeroenMostert

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
We should not forget the Stedenbaan project that will also connect The Hague and Rotterdam via the existing heavy rail line via Delft that will look much more like a RER system then the RandstadRail does.

see http://connectedcities.eu/showcases/stedenbaan.html and dutch site:http://stedenbaan.nl/
I think this is one of the reasons to convert the Hoek van Holland line to metro. Then the train tracks in use for the Hoekselijn between Schiedam Centrum and Rotterdam Centraal can be used for this project.
JeroenMostert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM   #103
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
In 2010 when the station Statenweg is finished station Hofplein will be closed, so it will have 41 station eventually.
Does anyone know the exact opening date? I thought it would be end 2009, as that is stated on the RET website. But on this forum and on Wikipedia, people say it would be "in 2010". Are they confusing the start of the through-service Slinge-The Hague (which is indeed in 2010) with they opening of the Statenwegtunnel and the re-routing of Randstadrail to Rotterdam Central Station, or is the information on the RET website outdated?
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #104
xlchris
Not much

^I think the correct information is the information on the RET site, but I'm not sure if it will also be available before services start.
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #105
xlchris
Not much

Hix shot this video, transfering in station Beurs (the only transfer station)

Old July 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #106
xlchris
Not much

The Brandnew metro trains

Old July 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #107
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

You need to go through two gates just to transfer to the other line? That's pretty, well, restaded. Judging from the layout it should easily be possible to avoid that.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #108
JeroenMostert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
You need to go through two gates just to transfer to the other line? That's pretty, well, restaded. Judging from the layout it should easily be possible to avoid that.
This part of the station also functions as a pedestrian passage and has some shops that need to be outside of the gates, such as the ticket sales-desk.(visible in the clip at 1:15). Transfers between Erasmuslijn (North+South) and the eastbound trains on the Calandlijn are done without passing a gate. The transfer shown in the clip (westbound Calandlijn => southbound Erasmuslijn) also can be done without passing a gate, but using a longer route. By taking the stairs to transfer to the eastbound platform (shown in the clip next to the route display at 0:57). But the most obvious way is through the gates.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #109
Rotterodamum

Likes (Received): 9

Come on guys, as if being the longest in the Benelux says anything... It's not a real competition.

As a proud Rotterdammer I have to admit that the Brussels metro-system feels bigger and more metropolitan. Sorry
Rotterodamum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #110
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Where will Randstadrail go from metro to something else? Centraal Station? Blijdorp? After Meijersplein? Is one more stop going to change the traveller's experience into having used something other than metro? Even if there is a level crossing?

Example: I cross several on my daily commute (Blaak-Alexander). When I take the metro at home, should I realise I am actually taking a fasttram in disguise? Sure, the last leg is a bit slower for safety reasons, the crossings don't cause delays otherwise because there's a 100% absolute priority for the trains. But it's still metro. To me and to practically anyone who takes it. I dare anyone to do an exit poll at Alexander and ask what form of travel people used. Thank but ignore those who used the train. Count how many people say metro versus fasttram. I'm willing to bet a crate of beer on metro. My co-worker uses "fasttram" exclusively for his commute. Want to guess what he calls it?

Test yourself now - after extension: you board line B at Nesselande. You exit at Vlaardingen Centrum. Would you answer:

a) "metro."

or

b) "Oh, well, let's see. This was so strange. I thought I took the metro, and I was just sitting there. But then after the first stop, it suddenly became a fasttram! Or so I thought, because some stops later I really felt like sitting in a a metro again! That was so confusing. Oh man. But the really odd thing is, when I got out, I swear it was a lightrail I had been sitting in! So weird, wouldn't you agree?"

Come on guys, don't you wish you stopped reading at "metro" ?
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #111
hix
BANNED

It's only about being consequent. If you count the fasttram as a full metro, what is perfectly logical, than you have to do the same with the fasttram in Amsterdam and pemetro in Brussels. If you count the shared tracks double than you have to do the same in the other cities. If you compare you have to compare the same things.
Off course it's not really important. What is important is that you have good public transportation in Rotterdam.
The randstadrail, I like to compare with BART in San Francisco. BART is IMO not a metro. Only a very smal part of it is in San Francisco. Even if you consider Oakland as a suburb it goes way beyond the urban region of SF. And in San Francisco people consider it to be a metro. It sounds so much beter than suburban commuter line.
Like I said before, at the present time, the Rotterdam metro is a modest system with only two lines and only 36 stations. Just as the Brussels system is modest BTW.
Maybe, after the Randstadrail is connected to the metro and the line to Hoek van Holland is opened, it will be more important. I'm sorry if I offended some of you guys, but this is the way I see it.
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #112
JeroenMostert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post
It's only about being consequent. If you count the fasttram as a full metro, what is perfectly logical, than you have to do the same with the fasttram in Amsterdam and premetro in Brussels. If you count the shared tracks double than you have to do the same in the other cities. If you compare you have to compare the same things.
The problem is that none of these system are the same.

They all have small differences that makes classification difficult. The "fasttram" sections of the Rotterdam metro have automatic barriers for all the crossings that the Amsterdam fasttram does not have. The premetro in Brussels has underground sections. Rotterdam also has the tramplus concept: low floor trams with platforms, segregated tracks and traffic light priority. Where do you draw the line ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post
Off course it's not really important. What is important is that you have good public transportation in Rotterdam.
And what is the best way to improve it ? Will converting the Hoekse Lijn to metro (or whatever you want to call it) really make a big difference for people?

Last edited by JeroenMostert; August 3rd, 2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar improvements
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #113
hix
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenMostert View Post
And what is the best way to improve it ? Will converting the Hoekse Lijn to metro (or whatever you want to call it) really make a big difference for people?
I have no idea. What do you think?
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #114
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

It shouldn't but then, that's the point.

Last edited by Slagathor; July 30th, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM   #115
JeroenMostert

During the monthly "kijkdag" at the Rotterdam Centraal information centre they mentioned a start date of March 2010 for Slinge-Den Haag CS metros.
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #116
Medaart

Ik heb in 5 pagina's niemand van buiten het nederlandssprekend europees gebied gezien in deze thread
Medaart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #117
xlchris
Not much

^Sweek komt uit Londen
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #118
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
^Sweek komt uit Londen
Woont in Londen maar is een Nederlander dan weer.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #119
daneo

Likes (Received): 13

oftewel, deze thread is bijna nutteloos en kan net zo goed gehouden worden op het hhf.
daneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #120
xlchris
Not much

Today (a few hours ago) the new metro station of the central train station opened. This new station is located just next to the old metro station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_bewoner View Post

#4 (<old & new>)

First footage in the new opened station (in Dutch): http://www.rtl.nl/(/actueel/rtlnieuw...m_CS_dicht.xml