daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

HONG KONG | Villa Splendor | 40 fl | Canceled

High-rise will block air flow, Jardine's Lookout residents say
19 July 2009
South China Morning Post

Residents of a private estate in Jardine's Lookout staged a protest yesterday, saying a high-rise being erected by New World Development will encroach on their private space and block the flow of air.

About 10 representatives of the 80 households in Dragon Garden, Chun Fai Terrace, hoisted banners and chanted slogans outside the Villa Splendor construction site.

They complained that an outside wall of the planned 40-storey residential building comes so close to Dragon Garden's car park that it leaves no space for air to flow.

Meanwhile, temporary panels set up around the construction site have blocked almost one-third of a four-metre-wide access road that belongs to Dragon Garden.

Over the past few months, heavy trucks carrying construction materials have damaged the road surface and threatened the safety of pedestrians when they back up on the narrow roadway, they said.

"Neither the developer nor the construction company have consulted our opinions about these issues, which have seriously infringed on our rights," said Tan Kai-nin, 52, a member of the Dragon Garden property owners' committee.

Residents say they are fed up with the government's lack of help and pass-the-buck response to their many complaints to the Buildings Department, Lands Department and other government departments over the past two years.

"We thought about taking it to court, but that would be very costly. To come out and fight for our interests is the only thing we can do now," Mr Tan said.

Eastern District councillor Tsang Kin-shing showed his support by joining the protesters yesterday. Pointing to the unfinished concrete pillars built right next to the estate's car park, he said: "This is totally irresponsible; it will block the air flow into the car park. We urge [New World] to have a meeting with the residents to settle the problems."

Another resident, a Mr Tsui, said the market price of their flats had stalled at about HK$7,000 per square foot since the building work began, while the price for other estate blocks of similar quality in the area had climbed to about HK$10,000.

A New World spokesman said the company would look into the matter and follow up on complaints.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:42 AM   #2
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Oh God not this again...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

I fail to see how one building can make a 'wall effect'. The term is being abused these days.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

It's just because they're bloody sour that the views they used to boast having will now be history. Air flow my ass.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I fail to see how one building can make a 'wall effect'. The term is being abused these days.
I know! It's ridiculous.

I'm no aerodynamic engineer, but common sense dictates that air flow is far more affected when 15 towers of 50 storeys are lined up next to each other, than when one single slim 80 storey tower is erected.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I know! It's ridiculous.

I'm no aerodynamic engineer, but common sense dictates that air flow is far more affected when 15 towers of 50 storeys are lined up next to each other, than when one single slim 80 storey tower is erected.
That's exactly why I think height limits could actually worsen instead of mitigating the problem!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #7
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
That's exactly why I think height limits could actually worsen instead of mitigating the problem!
Good point - property developers are far more likely to build several shorter stubby towers instead of one tall one.

Incidentally, were The Cullinan Towers not supposed to be one? But they decided to split it into two (obviously the height of the one tower wasn't going to be the addition of the two).
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

If it really did block the flow of air, why is that so bad anyways? Since the air quality sucks as it is...

(kidding)

But yeah, I think they just want to keep the view.
If you posted pics or renders I can't seem to see them either.
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Updates?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote