daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM   #1
desert burner
real gooner
 
desert burner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: asia
Posts: 4,649
Likes (Received): 33

Nairobi Metropolitan Region | Vision 2030

Nairobi is a national, regional and international strategic centre for education, commerce, transport, regional cooperation and economic development. It also connects the Eastern, Central and Southern African countries. The following areas of investment have been identified towards sustainable economic growth and development as envisioned in the metro 2030 strategy.

1. Nairobi Metropolitan Mass Rapid Transit Programme

To improve accessibility within the metropolitan region through a new bus system with designated bus lanes. This will require investments in infrastructure and buses. The bus rapid transit system will start with three transport corridors; Athi River town to Kikuyu town, Thika to the central business district (CBD) and Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to the CBD.

2. Rapid light rail

This will entail provision of light rail to ease traffic congestion and improve efficiency of transportation between the CBD and other parts of the metropolitan area including the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport; a distance of 15.6 kilometres and serving about 150,000 passengers daily.

3. Provision of non-motorised transportation

Investment to help decongest traffic within the metro CBD is required and this will involve: integrated traffic management systems, pedestrianisation of city streets, provision of non-motorised transportation and the installation of street lights in the metro local authorities and all major urban centres.

4. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)

CCTV has in the last few years proved to be a very effective device in both deterring criminals and arresting perpetrators of crime in many developed countries. In Kenya, as envisioned in the Vision 2030, all the major cities are preparing to become 24 hour operational centres. There is need to install surveillance cameras to enhance security in these cities. The government in collaboration with the private sector and the city council of Nairobi has already installed surveillance cameras in some parts of Nairobi streets as a pilot project. This will help improve efficiency on safety and security and reduce the cost of policing in the metropolitan area. In addition there will be an extension of the CCTV infrastructure and services to cover other major commercial hubs including Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru.

5. Parking system

Investment opportunities exist in the provision of both space and technology that complements promotion of public transport. This require provision of vehicle parking services and development and management of a multi-storey parking in designated places of the CBD and other outlying commercial hubs. Land has already been identified in potential areas for the development of the parks.

6. Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Planning and Mapping of the Metropolitan Region

Technical assistance is needed in institutionalising GIS-based spatial planning and management at the ministry level and the metropolitan local authorities, particularly Nairobi.

link:http://www.tradeinvestkenya.com/inve...ies/165932.htm
desert burner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?
 
The E.N.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The East
Posts: 2,072
Likes (Received): 327

BRT in 21 years?
__________________
...stopping at Midrand, Marlboro, Sandton, Rosebank and Park.
The E.N.D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The E.N.D View Post
BRT in 21 years?
Nop. 2010 Inner City Metro Rail.
__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

Vision Nairobi 2030 Metropolitan Spatial Plan

New ICT Park at Konza


Austin-Smith:Lord have shared with us their entry to the international competition for the Nairobi Greater Metropolitan Region. In January 2010, the UK-based firm together with its Kenyan partners Saad Yahya & Associates and engineering firm Mott Macdonald were shortlisted along with 5 others to develop a concept for the Nairobi 2030 Metropolitan Spatial Plan. Consulting Engineering Services from India Ltd. were the eventual winners.
__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments

Last edited by Kisumu Ndogo; August 29th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

Greening the City: Nairobi River + Kibera



Sustainable Rural Communities


There are 4 regions that compromise the Nairobi Metro Region area. The city area of Nairobi measures 684 sq kilometres alone, with the larger metro area covering 3,000sq. km. The land of Nairobi’s region falls from the edge of the Rift Valley in the west at an elevation of 2,300 metres, to 1,500 metres to the east of the city, with the centre of the city standing at 1,700 metres. Nairobi was a staging post for agrarian and pastoral tribes. In the early 1900’s the trading boundaries were stretched from Uganda through Nairobi to Mombasa on the coast. The UAE has invested in broadband for all. Digital trade has started

The total population of the Region increased from 1.36 million in 1979 to roughly 3 million in 1999, with an anticipated growth to 5 million by 2015. The last master plan made in 1970 has not been revised since and many of the issues unchecked, unplanned, unresolved some 40 years on.
__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

Nairobi 2030 Metropolitan Master Plan, Board



__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #8
abckris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bungoma
Posts: 1,468
Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisumu Ndogo View Post
Vision Nairobi 2030 Metropolitan Spatial Plan

New ICT Park at Konza


Austin-Smith:Lord have shared with us their entry to the international competition for the Nairobi Greater Metropolitan Region. In January 2010, the UK-based firm together with its Kenyan partners Saad Yahya & Associates and engineering firm Mott Macdonald were shortlisted along with 5 others to develop a concept for the Nairobi 2030 Metropolitan Spatial Plan. Consulting Engineering Services from India Ltd. were the eventual winners.
So now that we have counties how will that work with the metropolitan plan? I am now confused on how the counties which are semi-autonomous units work together. Might it a county-county partnership or what will happen?
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM   #9
ernestombayo7
Veteran
 
ernestombayo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London SE8
Posts: 3,252
Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
So now that we have counties how will that work with the metropolitan plan? I am now confused on how the counties which are semi-autonomous units work together. Might it a county-county partnership or what will happen?
This is an issue that has not yet been addressed properly,it is also not clear in the Constitution how counties will relate to each other,though it is very clear on how counties will relate to the central government.

The Nairobi metropolitan development will have to be worked on with the boundaries commission to determine which areas will be incorporated and which will be left out.
ernestombayo7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Amboseli Daima
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,015
Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestombayo7 View Post
This is an issue that has not yet been addressed properly,it is also not clear in the Constitution how counties will relate to each other,though it is very clear on how counties will relate to the central government.

The Nairobi metropolitan development will have to be worked on with the boundaries commission to determine which areas will be incorporated and which will be left out.
I think the confusion here is the county gov't (headed by governor) and city gov't (headed by mayor).Then there's the metropolitan ministry in charge of nairobi.True there's no clear demarcation but only in nairobi.Other counties have clear demarcations and will only relate to each other in the senate or co-ordinating on which new rd to pave that leads to another county.

My hope is for lean county gov'ts that use much of their central gov't allocations for infrastructure and little for proposed county assemblies & governors salaries.Kenya has been spending too much on personnel and little on projects until recently.
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM   #11
uvwx283
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

Red face 18

If you make these 6 items part of your daily routine, you'll look better, feel better, and have less need of expensive acne treatments and cosmetics.Visit Ron's website Latest-Acne-Solutions for the latest research into acne relief.Copyright 2005 Ron King. This article may be reprinted as long as the resource box is left intact and all links are hyperlinked. _______________________________________________NOKIA Laptop BatteryTaobao AgentP90X,Rosetta Stoneoil painting reproductions
uvwx283 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE
 
Kisumu Ndogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @penguins.nhl.com ☆☆☆☆☆
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
So now that we have counties how will that work with the metropolitan plan? I am now confused on how the counties which are semi-autonomous units work together. Might it a county-county partnership or what will happen?
Thanx Ernest & Amboseli for those constributions; when analysed contextually Nairobi has very many gray areas as partaining to the current jurisditions, its the most complex of the 47 counties not only in governing but also for demarcation purposes.

Politically Nairobi Province boast 3.1 m people(2009 Census) within it's 8 constituencies; Westlands, Langata, Kamukunji, Dagoretti, Starehe, Makadara, Embakasi(1 million pple) & Kasarani.

Districtwise there's; Nairobi East(1m), Nairobi North(1m) & Nairobi West(0.7m)Then for bureacratic and developmental purposes the newbie; Ministry of Nairobi and Metropolitan Region(ecompases Thika, and swathes of Central, Eastern & Rift-Valley flung Areas-Towns bordering Tanzania) Here's map below.



My bet is that the Metropolitan ministry was formed especially for maximization of economic potential of the Nairobi Metro region; Evidently Nairobi produces about 50%* of Kenya GDP. Also to tarp on potential labour and harness economic fullness within its peripheri, hopefully the government will do the same to other regions within the confines of Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru & Eldoret.

It's most practical that the Nairobi City council affairs will be constituted under the Nairobi Governor's palour inorder to give the governor some mettle though the Mayor and his bunch(Fathers) will continue to offer service delivery & set city-bylaws. It is also interesting that Ligale's Interim Independent Boundaries Review Commission (IIBRC) has its job well cut for Nairobi, they already noted that they will use different merits as concerns Nairobi's demarcation(Benchmark for constituencies Pop Capped at about 133,000).

My guess is that with this new 'comprehensive constitution' initially there will be alot of overlapping(duties) and toe stepping before things finally even out. But overally the central governent will continue to call shots especially when it comes to matters legislatives and critical decisions as security and high capital undertaking ventures to the country's most powerful county.
__________________
isupporthekenyancountygovernments

Last edited by Kisumu Ndogo; September 1st, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:23 PM   #13
ernestombayo7
Veteran
 
ernestombayo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London SE8
Posts: 3,252
Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisumu Ndogo View Post
Thanx Ernest & Amboseli for those constributions; when analysed contextually Nairobi has very many gray areas as partaining to the current jurisditions, its the most complex of the 47 counties not only in governing but also for demarcation purposes.

Politically Nairobi Province boast 3.1 m people(2009 Census) within it's 8 constituencies; Westlands, Langata, Kamukunji, Dagoretti, Starehe, Makadara, Embakasi(1 million pple) & Kasarani.

Districtwise there's; Nairobi East(1m), Nairobi North(1m) & Nairobi West(0.7m)Then for bureacratic and developmental purposes the newbie; Ministry of Nairobi and Metropolitan Region(ecompases Thika, and swathes of Central, Eastern & Rift-Valley flung Areas-Towns bordering Tanzania) Here's map below.



My bet is that the Metropolitan ministry was formed especially for maximization of economic potential of the Nairobi Metro region; Evidently Nairobi produces about 50%* of Kenya GDP. Also to tarp on potential labour and harness economic fullness within its peripheri, hopefully the government will do the same to other regions within the confines of Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru & Eldoret.

It's most practical that the Nairobi City council affairs will be constituted under the Nairobi Governor's palour inorder to give the governor some mettle though the Mayor and his bunch(Fathers) will continue to offer service delivery & set city-bylaws. It is also interesting that Ligale's Interim Independent Boundaries Review Commission (IIBRC) has its job well cut for Nairobi, they already noted that they will use different merits as concerns Nairobi's demarcation(Benchmark for constituencies Pop Capped at about 133,000).

My guess is that with this new 'comprehensive constitution' initially there will be alot of overlapping(duties) and toe stepping before things finally even out. But overally the central governent will continue to call shots especially when it comes to matters legislatives and critical decisions as security and high capital undertaking ventures to the country's most powerful county.
Very good analysis KN,i am sure things will start being more clearer as the new law is fully implemented.Personally i think nairobi should not get more than 3 new constituencies despite the high numbers per constituency.
ernestombayo7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu