daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #21
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

beautiful photos! Hopefully next time i go ill take more photos of the whole network
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #22
eskandarany

Cairo-Ain Soukhna Motorway
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #23
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskandarany View Post

Cairo-Fayoum (notice the u-turn signs in the background which are common)

Is the sign in the foreground a route marker, or what is the 65 for?
ForteTwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #24
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

kilometre sign. You see them often in Egypt.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #25
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
الإنتهاء من المرحلة الأولى لطريق الإسكندرية الصحراوي أول يونيو بتكلفة 1.7 مليار جنيه

أعلنت هيئة الطرق والكباري والنقل البري الإنتهاء في أول يونيو المقبل من المرحلة الأولى من طريق (القاهرة /الإسكندرية)الصحراوي، والذي يجرى تحويله إلى «طريق حر»، وذلك في الطريق المخصص للقادم من الإسكندرية، في الوقت الذي تقرر فيه الانتهاء من المرحلة الثانية للقادم القاهرة فى الربع الأول من عام 2011، ليكتمل بذلك أطول «طريق حر» مصر بطول 187 كيلو متر، وبتكلفه تقديرية بلغت 1.7 مليار جنيه.

وعلمت «المصري اليوم» أن وزارة النقل ستنظم حفل تدشين لافتتاح المرحلة الأولى والتي يبلغ طولها 187 كيلو متر، يحضره عدد من الوزراء فى مقدمتهم الدكتور «أحمد نظيف» رئيس مجلس الوزراء.

وصرح المهندس «طارق العطار» رئيس الهيئة، أن المهندس «علاء فهمي» وزير النقل، طالب بتكثيف العمل بحيث يتم الإنتهاء من المرحلة الأولى (الإسكندرية القاهرة) بعرض 16.5 متراً، وطول 187 كيلو، أول يونيو بدلاً من نهايته بسبب بدء موسم الصيف مبكراً هذا العام، وقدوم شهر رمضان فى منتصف شهر أغسطس، وبعد ذلك سيتوقف العمل حتى نهاية شهر أغسطس ليبدأ العمل فى المرحلة الثانية فى الإتجاه القادم من القاهرة إلى الإسكندرية، والتي تم الانتهاء من 80% منه ومن المنتظر الإنتهاء منها نهاية هذا العام أيضاً ليكتمل أطول وأضخم «طريق حر» في مصر .

وأشار «العطار» إلى أنه تم وضع مجموعة من المواصفات الحديثة للطريق الجديد لرفع معدلات السلامة به لتكون مثل نظيرتها العالمية مثل إلغاء كافة الدورانات والتقاطعات السطحية التي تشكل السبب الرئيسي في الحوادث اليومية، واستبدالها بتقاطعات حرة لتأمين تدفق المرور وإلغاء نقاط الاصطدام، وتأمين معابر مشاة بمناطق الازدحام، وتزويد الطريق بأنظمة المرور الذكية والإشارات الإرشادية والتوجيهية، لافتاً إلى أن متوسط الحجم المروري على الطريق يبلغ 25 ألف سيارة يومياً فى الأوقات العادية، وتصل إلى 50 ألف في موسم الصيف.

كما أشار إلى أن التكلف الإجمالية لطريق (القاهرة / مرسى مطروح) تقدر بـ2,7 مليار جنيه، منها 1.7 مليار لـ (القاهرة /الإسكندرية)، ومليار جنيه لبقية الطريق، لافتاً إلى أنه تم إنشـاء وصلة جديدة بمواصفات الطريـــق الحـر للربــط بين طريقـــي (القاهرة / الإسكندرية)، و(الإسكندرية / مطروح) تبدأ قبل محطة رسوم الإسكندرية للدخول المباشر إلى الطريق الساحلي لتفادى مناطق الازدحام عند العامرية وعلى الوصلات القائمة حالياً (برج العرب وكم 21) ، كما تم بالتعاون مع وزارة الصحة إنشاء عدد كاف من الخدمات الأساسية كنقاط الإسعاف وإتصال الطوارئ والإستراحات .
A Translation (A really bad one, google translate sucks) :

Quote:
Announced that the Roads and Bridges and Land Transport in the first completed next June, the first phase of the road (Cairo / Alexandria) Desert, which is being transformed into a «Freeway», in the way of the Ad Hoc coming from Alexandria, at the time it was decided that the completion of the second phase of the coming Cairo in the first quarter of 2011, to complete the longest «Freeway» Egypt length of 187 kilometers, and an estimated cost of 1.7 billion pounds.

Al «Egyptian today» The Ministry of Transport will be the inauguration ceremony for the opening of the first phase, which has a length of 187 kilometers, attended by a number of ministers, led by Dr «Ahmed Nazif» Prime Minister.

Engineer «Tariq Attar» Chairman, that the engineer «Alaa Fahmy» Minister of Transport, called for intensified action to be completed the first phase (Alexandria-Cairo), introduced a 16.5-meter, the length of 187 kilometers, early June instead of the end of the summer season due to start early this year, the holy month of Ramadan in mid-August, and then stop work until the end of August to begin work in the second phase in the direction coming from Cairo to Alexandria, which was completed 80% of it is expected to be completed end of this year also completed the longest and largest « freeway »in Egypt.

The «Attar» has been set new set of specifications for new road safety by raising the rates to be like its global counterpart, such as the cancellation of all Alldoranat surface and intersections that constitute the main cause of accidents daily, and replace Ptqatat to secure free flow of traffic and the elimination of points of collision, pedestrian crossings and secure areas congestion, road traffic regulations to provide smart signal indicative and guidelines, pointing out that the average traffic volume on the road is 25 thousand cars a day in normal times, and up to 50 thousand in the summer season.

He also noted that total by Mannerism (Cairo / Marsa Matrouh) is estimated to 2,7 billion pounds, including 1.7 billion for (Cairo / Alexandria), and one billion pounds for the rest of the way, pointing out that it was created a new link road specifications free to link my way (Cairo / Alexandria), and (Alexandria / Matrouh) begins before Alexandria station fees for direct entry to the coastal road to avoid areas of congestion at Amiriya and on the links to the existing (Burj Al Arab, How 21), was also in cooperation with the Ministry of Health, the establishment of a sufficient number of fundamental points of ambulance services and emergency contact and guest houses.
So the first phase of the project I mentioned in the previous page should be completed this June!
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #26
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1518

Some construction pics courtesy of SSC Egypt Forumer Red Ahlawy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ahlawy View Post
Sorry guys I'm late with posting the pics cause my internet connection was down for some reason
Anyways, here are the pics:

Old August 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM   #27
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Now that the transmaghrébine motorway seems to become a reality, with Libya extending their part of the motorway all the way along the coast, are there any plans to upgrade the coastal road to Libya from a four lane expressway to a full freeway/motorway?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #28
eskandarany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Now that the transmaghrébine motorway seems to become a reality, with Libya extending their part of the motorway all the way along the coast, are there any plans to upgrade the coastal road to Libya from a four lane expressway to a full freeway/motorway?
it has been an expressway for a long time, and there are plenty of similar roads in egypt. i don't think it would be converted to a motorway any time soon though
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #29
eskandarany

Port Said - Alexandria
[IMG]http://i37.************/fk2rk3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.************/ip049i.jpg[/IMG]
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #30
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskandarany View Post
Port Said - Alexandria

[IMG]http://i36.************/ip049i.jpg[/IMG]
Is the "21" shield the standard road number shield used in Egypt? I thought that road was numbered "01," unless the "Alex. Agr. Rd." shown is different than the one which goes to Cairo.
ForteTwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #31
eskandarany

road numbering is rare so largely for decorative purposes. ppl generally have no idea what 'official number' a road has,
If 21 is not the cai-alx agri expressway then its prob the expressway leading there (dumyat-tanta)
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #32
eskandarany

note also that there are sometimes 2 roads bwn the same termini - (alex-cairo) and (ismailia-cairo) etc. have both 'agricultural' and 'desert' roads. I think 01 is cai-alx desert road, not agri
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #33
eskandarany

Plenty of new photos at the Egyptian Forum: Construction Update on Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #34
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17479

any news
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #35
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Cairo - Ain Sokhna motorway ?? You mean: it is 2x2 with separate carriageways & no crossings now ?

If so, it has really changed since last time I've been there ! At the time, from El Maadi to Ain Sokhna, you had to drive mostly through a single carriageway, with few cars. It's on that road I started learning to drive I was 13 at the time ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM   #36
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12613

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM   #37
eskandarany

This is an updated version of my mad (unfinished) project to create a half-decent roadmap for Egypt. The scheme is approximate and subjective but hopefully useful:
Light Blue : Dual-carriageway, fast
Dark Blue : Dual-carriageway, too busy or dangerous to drive fast
White: Dual-carriageway, under construction
Green: Single-carriageway, rural
Orange: Single-carriageway, desert
[IMG]http://i44.************/2ceth0g.jpg[/IMG]
And this is a sideways-map of the Nile valley down to Nubia & Sudan
[IMG]http://oi44.************/id56dl.jpg[/IMG]
I hope I find some better illustrations of the roads than what we've got so far There's plenty out there
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #38
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

There appears to be a new alignment under construction at the Cairo - Tanta Road, near the city of Benha. Maybe this'll replace the outdated six-lane highway between both cities. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the oldest dual carriageways in Egypt.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

Most "motorways" in Egypt are in fact Dual Carriageways. Most of them do not have significant grade-separating, although they also do not have roundabouts and traffic lights. Some of them run through urban areas with houses and buildings right next to the road. Some of the more important roads have T-intersections with U-turns in the median (a common practice in the former Soviet Union).

However, a few roads stand out with higher design standards. These are generally motorways constructed in the last 10 years.

These are;

* Cairo Ring Road (fully grade-separated, substandard in some spots)
* Cairo - Red Sea Road (to Ain Sukhnah, six-lane motorway with full grade-separation)
* Tanta Bypass (six lane toll road with full grade-separation)
* Sadat City - El Alamein Road (four-lane road with no real intersecting roads, which makes it a motorway due to the lack of crossing roads rather than by design).

The Cairo - Alexandria Desert Road has six to eight lanes, but appears to be rather substandard, with only two or three real interchanges, the others are the aforemention T-intersections with U-turns.

The Cairo - Suez road is a four-lane highway and has very few paved crossing roads, and could be considered a motorway-like road.

Cairo - Ismailia - Port Said Road is too substandard, but it is entirely a dual carriageway. Virtually no grade-separation here.

Cairo - Tanta + Tanta - Alexandria Roads through the Nile River Delta. These may be the oldest dual carriageways in Egypt due to their importance for the agricultural sector. The Tanta Bypass is a full motorway but otherwise it's too substandard to be considered a motorway. However, some sections appear to be more modern, it's mostly six lanes between Cairo and Tanta.

The Tanta - Damietta Road is a four-lane dual carriageway, but that's where all comparisons to a motorway end. It has virtually no grade-separations and crosses many roads and even railroads at-grade.

I haven't checked the roads south of Cairo along the Nile River, but I think they are dual carriageways at best.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #40
eskandarany

It is often misleading to look at satellite images of African countries; 5 years makes a big difference, and they are rarely updated.

There is a motorway along the east bank south to Assiut which is being lengthened further south (check the thread in the Egyptian forum). There's a dual carriageway in the valley (some parts under construction) and an existing dual carriageway in the desert on the west bank (being lengthened too I think). Priority in Upper Egypt is given to new desert routes I believe (a couple of which were quite insane to construct). There are U/C roads towards Sudan along the east bank and along the red sea.

Cairo-Alex Desert Road is nearly completed to international standards (4×4 + service roads along the full length), and the road through Wadi El-Natroun + Alex-Matrouh are scheduled next.

Too many new dual carriageways in the delta over the past 10 years to list off the top of my head, several U/C now (especially the 'Cairo regional ring' and roads near the north of the delta), including overdue bypasses along major arteries (which is what you have found I believe).

Cairo-Ismailia there are two routes; the desert road I travelled and is good in terms of markings, cats eyes, very few T-junctions (maybe none at all), etc. - the agricultural route is, by nature, slower and more dangerous. I think the govt designs agricultural roads to different standards (which is bad but it seems to be the case).

As for Suez-Ismailia-Port Said, it is extremely busy. It's almost an urban dual carriageway; towns, villages and factories all along it. It doesn't pass 'through' any villages but it has a couple of silly turnings·

Cairo has several good urban expressways, fully grade separated.

Most major cities seem to be getting good bypasses or ring roads, or - if they are along the Nile - bridges and access roads with grade separation.

I don't think there are any immediate plans for Matrouh-Salloum and PortFouad-Gaza - the dual carriageways there don't seem to be on the list for upgrading (at least not announced publicly). A bridge from Sharm El Sheikh to Saudi Arabia has been approved, and - if built - I imagine Ismailia-Sharm will get a major overhaul.

Last edited by eskandarany; March 18th, 2012 at 04:26 AM.