search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2071

Go ahead for Dublin Observation Wheel

Quote:
Go-ahead for the Dublin Eye giant wheel
Wednesday, July 22 14:23:19

Following a selection process by Dublin Docklands Development Authority the Point Village has been chosen as the site for a 'Dublin Eye' observation wheel.

Work will begin immediately subject to planning permission.

The wheel will have enclosed comfortable gondolas and will be a major tourist attraction as well as being available for corporate and group bookings.

It will be run as part of the Point Square concept with Dublin City Council which will host free to the public rock concerts, produce markets, giant screen sports events as Dublin's new civic centre.

The O2 arena continues to attract record business and has set a new standard for the public to experience concerts. The arena is booked heavily for the next 18 months. The O2 arena pulls well over E100m a year into the Dublin economy, the DDA said.

The Point Village LUAS station will open in November as will the 1,000 capacity car park and the 300 bed hotel will open in Spring 2010 under the Clarion Hotel brand.

The opening date of the retail space has not yet been set pending the outcome of the courts decision on the dispute with the anchor tenant Dunnes Stores.
www.businessworld.ie

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 54

I hope they dont mean on the watchtower site There are better places to view the city from I would have thought, but a giant wheel is more at home down there I guess.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
odlum833

It would have to be a very big wheel if they are putting it down there. It is not close enough to the city centre.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #4
dave.irl

Likes (Received): 0

Also reported here - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking60.htm

Hmm - They are reporting the wheel to be in excess of 80 meters tall, which is 40 less than the watchtower *was* intended to be. Why would you have an observation wheel next to a residential tower which is taller than it.

You wouldn't, would you - therefore I can only assume the watchtower is dead
dave.irl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
odlum833

There is a dispute between the developers and Dunnes Stores over the tower that is ongoing in the courts. Dunnes claims they have built the foundations but abandoned the tower. The developers deny this saying they want permission for more commercial office space in the tower. The case will be decided in October.

On the wheel - once again 80m would not be high enough in that location anyway. It's too far from what tourists would want to see. You would not see anything at 80m from there except the mouth of the Liffey!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
plank007

Likes (Received): 851

To far from the city centre I think. Not much to see around there apart from thousands of apartments and a dirty port.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7
odlum833

Statement from the Dublin Docklands Development Authority

Quote:
Contrary to the impression given in a statement issued today, 22 July 2009
on behalf of the Point Village, the Dublin Docklands Development Authority
has made no decision on a site for an observation wheel. The Authority
is currently involved in a tender process considering Expressions of
Interest for supply, construction and operation of an observation wheel
for a number of sites in the Docklands area.

However, we understand that Crosbie Property Holdings are in discussions
with wheel suppliers for a similar project at a site in the Point Village.

Great so we might end up with, not one, but two wheels......

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #8
PB-1888

Likes (Received): 0

What about a smaller one, round somewhere in St Stephen's Green for example (if theres room)? Wouldn't be as imposing, but would have the views. I don't think it would work at the docks for the same reasons I don't think the Belfast one should be moved to the Titanic Quarter
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #9
odlum833

Nah it would have to be on the river IMO. The structure would look good in that location it's just that it would want to be about 120m high to be workable. It is a big enough distance from the city center. It's down way beyond the IFSC and Spencer Dock. It's even further down then were the planned U2 tower is suppose to be. It seems "odd".

What im curious about now is that there seems to be two companies planning these wheels in different locations. Given the Cable Car thing.....the Giant Man planned at the O2, the Giant Steel Man planned opposite the Customs House and that yoke that looks like a giant fireplace planned in Docklands - they are going to make an amusement park out of the city.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB-1888 View Post
What about a smaller one, round somewhere in St Stephen's Green for example (if theres room)? Wouldn't be as imposing, but would have the views. I don't think it would work at the docks for the same reasons I don't think the Belfast one should be moved to the Titanic Quarter
Stephens green is a no go. Both because of visual impact and metro construction works.

I heard georges dock was being considered. Too high and you obscure what you're trying to view, 120m would not work in dublin. 135 in london is ok because their city is somewhat less level and larger than ours. Not to mention it'd look stupid.

Odlum where did you hear that about the watchtower case? I did not realise that dunnes were involved, if so why? Are they looking for more residential customers or something? Either way in the courts, is there any word on what will happen? The market is expected to bottom out soon, so I would like to be optimistic, especially given lower construction costs.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Viking74

Likes (Received): 37

I disagree that there would be nothing to see from a wheel in Point Village. I was on a Ship recently in Dublin Port and the views back towards the city from there were really quite breathtaking - and the ship was nowhere near 80m in height. There was plenty to see. The new Macken Street Bridge looked great alongside the NCC and the new Lansdowne Road stadium looked amazing from there. The cladding on the outside of the stadium is really starting to add to it. Not to mention the backdrop of the city and views towards Dublin Bay, it's beaches, the Dublin Mountains and Howth. I mean what more do people want?
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #12
plank007

Likes (Received): 851

I can't think of many places in Dublin where a wheel would fit in. It works in Belfast I think because the surrounding buildings are tall and grand but in places like St Stephens Green or around Trinity, it would look like a fairground attraction.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #13
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Good points viking. Lets hope they dont actually call it the "dublin eye" though :/
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Viking74

I see from DCC's website that a planning application has been lodged for an observation wheel next to the O2. I hope it goes ahead as planned.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #15
Viking74

More news on developments in Point Village:-

www.pointvillage.ie

Looks like the market was due to open today. Did anyone check it out?
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #16
Viking74

According to the website, the wheel is currently U/C and is due for completion at the end of this month, which is only a couple of days away now. 60 meters again which seems to be a standard height for everything 'tall' in this city.

No substitute for the watchtower though IMO

Fat chance of that being built in the current climate
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #17
thebig C

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking74 View Post
According to the website, the wheel is currently U/C and is due for completion at the end of this month, which is only a couple of days away now. 60 meters again which seems to be a standard height for everything 'tall' in this city.

No substitute for the watchtower though IMO

Fat chance of that being built in the current climate
Yeah, the 60 meter thing is a joke, it just shows a complete lack of courage or immagination. If Liberty Hall was 100 meters, everything would then be 100meters. Likewise, when ABP gave permission for a 32 storey building at Heuston Station.....suddenly every High rise proposal was 32 stories!!

Speaking of a lack of immagination, this wheel is so passe. London only got away with it because the big wheel in Vienna was built so long before! They are everywhere now, even in Belfast. Honestly, is it too much to ask for something origional?
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #18
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7372

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Speaking of a lack of immagination, this wheel is so passe. London only got away with it because the big wheel in Vienna was built so long before! They are everywhere now, even in Belfast. Honestly, is it too much to ask for something origional?
Not any more, the one being built in Dublin is the one that Belfast hosted for three years.

No longer profitable, so was moved.

The wheels are fine, it gives people a different perspective on the city, they are commonplace now, but that doesn't exactly make them automatically shit. The London Eye was not the first to be built after Vienna, they are all over the world. The London Eye however pisses all over the competition.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #19
thebig C

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
Not any more, the one being built in Dublin is the one that Belfast hosted for three years.

No longer profitable, so was moved.

The wheels are fine, it gives people a different perspective on the city, they are commonplace now, but that doesn't exactly make them automatically shit. The London Eye was not the first to be built after Vienna, they are all over the world. The London Eye however pisses all over the competition.
Wow...I didn't know it was the same wheel! BTW, I don't think they are automatically sh1t, but, the way its being presented down here is as if they are literally...re-inventing the wheel!!) An awful pun, but sadly true
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #20
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7372

Just media hype.

The location itself is shockingly poor, very very bad choice IMO, there's a good few other sites that would have provided a much more rewarding experience.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: