daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Best Canadian Skyline
Toronto 379 59.78%
Calgary 54 8.52%
Vancouver 123 19.40%
Edmonton 7 1.10%
Montreal 65 10.25%
Winnipeg 6 0.95%
Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #441
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Hey!! Nice pic of The 'Peg!

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #442
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If that's what actually happens, then ok, but I'm concerned that what may actually happen is that it stays the same height and maintains the same footprint, and simply sees greater pressure to redevelop lowrise historic buildings for the sake of highrises so that the existing downtown can fit more stuff in without becoming taller or wider.
That would be the worst possible scenario. There does seem to be a degree of apathy and indifference to preservation in Montreal; a century old church was bulldozed just a few months ago. It's surprising given the uproar a few decades ago over the mass destruction of countless grand old buildings there.

It just goes to show that one always has to stand vigilant. We're still not a society that values culture. When money trumps all else there will always be barbarians at the gate.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #443
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5617

That's really sad We're at the opposite end of the scale down here...the Heritage Council tends to go overboard and force the preservation of pretty much anything and everything simply because of its age.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:20 PM   #444
mobus

Likes (Received): 9942

Toronto needs more variation in the styles of the buildings. A lot of them look the same if you are unfamiliar with the skyline.
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:54 PM   #445
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

For it's size Calgary beats out everyone else but Toronto is number one.

Still, considering the sheer number of skyscrapers in Toronto I find it rather underwhelming. There is little variety to any of the towers built in the last 20 years......blue glass. The only criteria for Toronto high rises seems to be that they don't fall down.

I also find the skyscrapers poorly placed and too bunched together making the place look more like a volcano than the larger footprint of Montreal or Calgary. If Toronto's skyline was a bit more spread out near the core than it would have a far more dramatic impact. Case and point.............the new Trump Tower. A fairly tall tower but you can't even see it due to be just another one in the "clump" of King & Bay.
ssiguy2 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #446
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
For it's size Calgary beats out everyone else but Toronto is number one.

Still, considering the sheer number of skyscrapers in Toronto I find it rather underwhelming. There is little variety to any of the towers built in the last 20 years......blue glass. The only criteria for Toronto high rises seems to be that they don't fall down.

I also find the skyscrapers poorly placed and too bunched together making the place look more like a volcano than the larger footprint of Montreal or Calgary. If Toronto's skyline was a bit more spread out near the core than it would have a far more dramatic impact. Case and point.............the new Trump Tower. A fairly tall tower but you can't even see it due to be just another one in the "clump" of King & Bay.
The skyline is spreading out considerably when you consider the massing around Yorkville and the waterfront, as well as in between towers such as Aura (which is nearing the point of becoming a true game-changing tower on the skyline). However, I agree that all of the blue glass is off-putting. Some more variety in color and materials would be much more visually appealing, especially by the waterfront. Looks like "sterile city" over there.
DZH22 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #447
Urbinus

Likes (Received): 32

I leave here 3 pictures of Montreal's amazing skyline. I like these particular shots because are not the classic take from the Mont Royal's look out.
These pictures are not mine and I don't have the source; I found them on the internet a few months ago.

1) Toronto
2) Montreal
3) Calgary
4) Edmonton

Vancouver I don't even put it on the list because I find it really lame. The city's surrounding landscape is awesome but the buildings are ugly... all the same height, same style, mostly residential. I think that Vancouver needs a few tall office towers... that would look great there.

Edit: spelling

Yellow Fever liked this post
Urbinus no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #448
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

you sold Montreal to me.

Urbinus liked this post
wino no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #449
amgonzal

Likes (Received): 67

I think Vancouver and Toronto are the best two:

Toronto:

image hosted on flickr

Toronto skyline by naibank, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Toronto Skyline - Sunset by manfred.cheng, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Toronto's Growing Skyline 06 / 2012 by tomms, on Flickr

Vancouver

image hosted on flickr

Tonight in Vancouver: The World's Most Livable City by [travelfox], on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Amazing Vancouver (PA303-A) by Avision Photography, on Flickr

theBluePhoenix liked this post
amgonzal no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #450
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver are the best skylines in Canada. I was in Montreal back in February. The skyline looked depressing (or must have been just the weather.. bitterly cold), but it didn't look as good as I remembered it to be. It's like the skyline has been stuck 4 decades ago. Toronto is just up and away in terms of size and aesthetic appeal to other cities but Calgary is definitely the city I look out for.

Going to this thread, I just realized how few skyline cities Canada has

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #451
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Going to this thread, I just realized how few skyline cities Canada has
Few compared to China or the US, but very good for a country with fewer people than California. Canada has 5 significant skyline cities: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton. Who besides China and the US has more than 5?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #452
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Few compared to China or the US, but very good for a country with fewer people than California. Canada has 5 significant skyline cities: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton. Who besides China and the US has more than 5?
Edmonton is a little bit of a stretch. The only other country I can think of with at least 5 is Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Gold Coast). For its population Canada's skylines are definitely swinging above their weight class.

Actually, on second look Japan would also qualify for at least 5 major skyline cities, if not more. Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Nagoya (check this one out, very surprising), Kobe, and then on Edmonton's level I would say that Sapporo and Fukuoka are at least competitive with it.

I don't know what else. Maybe Brazil, depending on how much credence you give to the quantity and density over the lack of height? Regardless, Canada is definitely one of the top 4-5 skyline countries in the world.
DZH22 no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #453
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55284

image hosted on flickr

Toronto by unfamiliar tide, on Flickr
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #454
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Edmonton is a little bit of a stretch.
I suppose it is although I doubt it will remain so for much longer. In terms of the number of significant skyline cities, I'd also count Japan and Australia on par. Like you mentioned, Brazilian skylines have lots of bulk but not much height.

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #455
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Burnaby Metrotown's growing skyline..

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0693 by Surreyboy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0694 by Surreyboy, on Flickr
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:53 PM   #456
CarbonCO2

Likes (Received): 1

Calgary

Calgary

DanielG! liked this post
CarbonCO2 no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #457
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

image hosted on flickr

Drama Above @ Absolute Condos, Mississauga Ontario (Explore) by B.E.K., on Flickr
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #458
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

image hosted on flickr

Vancouver Summer by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vancouver's Summer Skyline by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #459
isaidso
the new republic

Today's banner looked good, so I'll post it:

Edmonton

Courtesy of WinterE229

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #460
isaidso
the new republic

Cowtropolis
http://peakexperienceimagery.com/

http://peakexperienceimagery.com/

Both courtesy of Peak Aerials

Closed Thread