daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Best Canadian Skyline
Toronto 379 59.78%
Calgary 54 8.52%
Vancouver 123 19.40%
Edmonton 7 1.10%
Montreal 65 10.25%
Winnipeg 6 0.95%
Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #881
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31700

Calgary, AB

The Guardians January 18 2015 by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #882
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
With that particular one yes. But I'm sure there are some example that wouldn't be.
I used to have mixed feelings about the CN Tower but it's one of those rare objects that manages to captivate. There have been imitators but this one remains the best in class. It really is spectacular and I never get bored looking at it.

Who'd have thought that the CN Tower would become as iconic as it is. In north America the Empire State Building is more famous but after that it's likely the CN Tower. Regardless of what people think of it, people around the world know what it is.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 20th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #883
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
While Toronto is clearly the best skyline, here is how I rank them in terms of favorites

1. Montreal - Best layering, best big city feel outside the tallest buildings (ie most "organic" skyline). I love all the different styles and insane amounts of density. The Big 5 office buildings that dominate the skyline are all unique, powerful, and far enough apart to each have its own "voice". (ie not overshadowing each other)

2. Toronto - Biggest, most extensive, main core is great, Scotia is fabulous. Too much blue glass, not a fan of certain angles (mostly from the lake). CN Tower is an absolutely dominant icon, but is it necessarily a great thing to have a 1970's concrete observation tower be the unchallenged focal point of a skyline?

3. Calgary - Awesome office cluster, with enough size, height, density to really feel like a big city skyline. Does kind of look like it's sprouted up in the middle of nothing, and has too many twin/triplet towers. The Bow is awesome but extremely fat. If you surrounded it with Montreal's buildup it would remind me a lot of a more condensed Boston.

4. Vancouver - Very dense and layered, large area with tons of highrises. Still a little too short (although beginning to improve here) and a huge swath of the residentials look.... uninspiring up close. The office buildings form a nice part of the cluster, with good density and variety, just lacking when you put it up against the other skylines. Kind of "smoke and mirrors" with the high residential floor counts, making it look bigger than it really is. By far the best natural setting in Canada.

5. Winnipeg - The old city fascinates me, and it has some nice density. Very lacking in the height department.

6. Edmonton - The office core almost looks "big city", if a little lacking in height and eye catching buildings. Nice extended residential skyline, although kind of meh up close.

7. Halifax - Under represented here. Lacks height but looks like a dense, built-up small city and the tallest buildings are fairly neat/unique.

8. Ottawa - Looks HUGE from above, tons of density, some gorgeous parliament buildings, probably the most impressive street level feel (a guess) compared to its skyline itself. Otherwise, it looks like a really big skyline got a buzzcut.

9. Niagara Falls - Tall, a bit tacky, but a pretty neat tourist skyline, like a mini Vegas over the falls.

10. Hamilton - Really good density, more infill coming, tallest tower is interesting. However, none of it looks particularly nice. It just has that good industrial city feel.

11. Quebec - Pretty limited in size but gorgeous setting and that big castle thing rocks.

12. Mississauga - Impressive buildup and the Absolute World towers look awesome. Beyond that, extremely sterile and likely the worst street level interaction, by far, among these 12 skylines. Doesn't feel like a city so much as a very tall suburb. Impressive satellite area for Toronto.
Not much to criticize here. Montreal isn't the biggest but there's a good argument that it's still the most beautiful. I do hope that Montreal's aversion to height will end though. The core is dynamite but would go up a few notches in my eyes if they revisited their former penchant for height. They had taller buildings than Chicago for a brief period in the 1960s.

Btw, that 'castle thing' in Quebec City is called the Chateau Frontenac hotel; it's done in Canadian Chateau Style. It's a mix of French chateau, Scottish baronial, and north American skyscraper has become known as a distinctly Canadian form of architecture. Our only significant examples of it are our grand rail way hotels along the Canadian Pacific Rail Line. The 3 best ones imo are the Banff Springs (Banff, Alberta), Royal York (Toronto), and Chateau Frontenac (Quebec City).

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 20th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #884
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 305

I enjoy the tower a lot more now that it has its LED lighting. Before it was it bit boring at night.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #885
isaidso
the new republic

I have a great view of it from my balcony. Actually I have a good spread from the CBD all the way to Yorkville.

isaidso no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #886
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Toronto, ON

1828R-101101 by ggrafixmaster, on Flickr
Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #887
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55237

Raincity

Sun Soaked Winter Skyline by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:33 PM   #888
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

How close is Trump to topping out? Are there any current proposals that will rival Trump and Shangri-La on the skyline?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #889
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
How close is Trump to topping out? Are there any current proposals that will rival Trump and Shangri-La on the skyline?
When its done, the Trump will be about 10 meters shorter than the Shangri La and in this pic it appears the Trump has about one or two more floors to go.

Vancouver Sunset from Cypress Lookout by jennchanphotography, on Flickr

That is a rumor that the City of Vancouver is close to finalizing a deal to construct a new City Hall as the first phase of the massive Waterfront Station Transportation Hub.

Early concepts depict the new City Hall located inside a 43-storey, 192-metre tall office building that is cylindrically shaped and uses a mix of helical shaping to become a sculpture as it ascends into the sky. That would make it only 8 meters shorter than the Shangri La but 2 meters taller than the Trump.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/04/p...ned-vancouver/

Last edited by Yellow Fever; January 24th, 2015 at 04:34 PM.
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #890
michi michi
sleep mode

Likes (Received): 1198

Hi! if you won't mind someone who have never been to any of these cities give his opinion, i would like to say Toronto. I saw many pics though and i was really impressed by them. May I ask how would Toronto fare with other skylines around the globe? i could easily put it in my top 10-15. its quite large, looks clean, looks well layered and interesting. Thanks!

Zaz965 liked this post
michi michi no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #891
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto is, by far, the largest skyline in Canada and 3rd largest outside Asia after New York and Chicago. It's roughly the same size as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Manila, Chongqing and Jakarta. The Toronto skyline was significantly smaller than Chicago's just a few years ago but looks set to pull even by 2020.

I have Toronto in 7th spot globally due to the CN Tower, density, architectural diversity, and great layering. I think north American skylines have a built in edge over skylines on other continents as they've been at it for over 120 years.

Last edited by isaidso; January 27th, 2015 at 01:53 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #892
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Montreal, QB

Parc Montroyal by e_pelli, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #893
michi michi
sleep mode

Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto is, by far, the largest skyline in Canada and 3rd largest outside Asia after New York and Chicago. It's roughly the same size as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Manila, Chongqing and Jakarta. The Toronto skyline was significantly smaller than Chicago's just a few years ago but looks set to pull even by 2020.

I have Toronto in 7th spot globally due to the CN Tower, density, architectural diversity, and great layering. I think north American skylines have a built in edge over skylines on other continents as they've been at it for over 120 years.
tbh. i do think that toronto skyline is better than most SEA cities if not all. they tend to look messy except for maybe SG, KL and MM. im a suckish for well clustered skylines. thats what i like about NorAm cities. the concept of downtowns. seems like i have to redo my best skyline list. thanks!

isaidso, Zaz965 liked this post
michi michi no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #894
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Edmonton, AB

Edmonton Skyline by mastermaq, on Flickr
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #895
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Calgary, AB

DSC06748 by wasywas, on Flickr

SimsPlanet2, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #896
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22518

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Who'd have thought that the CN Tower would become as iconic as it is. In north America the Empire State Building is more famous but after that it's likely the CN Tower. Regardless of what people think of it, people around the world know what it is.
when it comes to observation towers, the Space Needle in Seattle and the CN Tower are close in their iconography. The fact that the CN Tower is the tallest gives it a leg up, but I think the Space Needle is the more iconic given its design and because it was around for more than ten years longer. Plus the CN Tower is probably in more danger of being 'swallowed up' by the rest of the skyline as taller towers are built. (which is good for the skyline, but bad for the CN Tower) I like the CN Tower better than the Space Needle at night, but the other way around during daytime. That's my opinion though.

above the clouds | toronto. by alyssaBLACK., on Flickr

across the lake | toronto. by alyssaBLACK., on Flickr

storm clouds | toronto. by alyssaBLACK., on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; January 28th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #897
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

I don't find the Space Needle has a more iconic design but the fact that it's in the world's largest media market gives it a lot more publicity. A country will almost always publicize domestic items more than foreign.

- MysticMcGoo
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:16 AM   #898
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Metrotown (metro Vancouver's second downtown), Burnaby

IMG_8847 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

Rivaille, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #899
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
when it comes to observation towers, the Space Needle in Seattle and the CN Tower are close in their iconography. The fact that the CN Tower is the tallest gives it a leg up, but I think the Space Needle is the more iconic given its design and because it was around for more than ten years longer. Plus the CN Tower is probably in more danger of being 'swallowed up' by the rest of the skyline as taller towers are built. (which is good for the skyline, but bad for the CN Tower) I like the CN Tower better than the Space Needle at night, but the other way around during daytime. That's my opinion though.
Every country showers attention on their own country for obvious reasons. What's famous in one country isn't always famous globally. I think you'll find that the Space Needle has a high profile in the US only. Likewise the Chateau Frontenac is hugely iconic for Canadians, but that doesn't extend beyond our borders.

The CN Tower is one of those things that's managed global notoriety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't find the Space Needle has a more iconic design but the fact that it's in the world's largest media market gives it a lot more publicity. A country will almost always publicize domestic items more than foreign.
The spotlight gets thrown on the US more brightly than any other nation so everything enjoys a higher profile simply due to being located in that country. Things get added exposure due to the huge reach and influence of the US around the world. That said, these benefits can only go so far. When I was growing up in London UK everyone knew the CN Tower while few had ever heard of the Space Needle. The movie Sleepless In Seattle was likely people's first introduction to it but the CN Tower remains massively more well known globally.

People like superlatives and being the tallest structure on earth for decades solidified its place in people's consciousness. Going forward the CN Tower will benefit from being in Toronto, a city in steep ascension.

Last edited by isaidso; January 30th, 2015 at 05:10 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #900
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Notoriety? It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it isn't that bad is it?

- MysticMcGoo

Closed Thread