search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #101
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 9525

From LDP Business -

Quote:
Agents to market former Liverpool Odeon

Dec 9 2009 Liverpool Daily Post

THE former Odeon cinema, in London Road, in Liverpool city centre, is being marketed for sale by property agents.

Knight Frank has been appointed by development company, Parkmoor, to dispose of the building, which dates back to 1934.

The site is close to Lime Street Station and would lend itself to a variety of uses including hotel, student accommodation, office or even a multi-storey car park.

Paul Kelly, at Knight Frank Liverpool, said: “The Lime Street Station area of Liverpool is of great interest at the moment, with the proposed £35m redevelopment project, Lime Street Gateway, now under way.

“The site has fantastic development potential and could act as a catalyst for wider development in the area.”
Article continues here - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-25351368/

...or even a multi-storey car park!

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #102
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

With regard to this application -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Application Number - 09F/2640
Site Address - Land at the junction off Seymour Street and St Vincent Street Liverpool L3
Proposal - To erect a 4, 5 & 7 storey development comprising bedrooms in 46 no self contained units of accommodation on upper floors and A1, A3 and B1 units at ground floor level with 5 no. car parking spaces, cycle spaces and storage at basement level
Applicant - Edward Simmons LLP AS LPA Recievers
From the Planning Explorer Related Documents -

Image copyright Browne Smith Baker. Shown here for information purposes only.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:43 AM   #103
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 2692

I imagine that will look terrible, being covered in a load of terracotta cladding. Still anything around that area is welcome.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM   #104
buggedboy

Also, bear in mind that the applicant is Edward Simmons LLP AS LPA Receivers.

I guess this means it is just the receivers spending some money to get planning permission, increase the land value and sell it on.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #105
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

That's a shocker

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM   #106
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

Hopefully it will be grist to the planning department's mill - given the huge amount of development opportunities that are going to arise in the area between London Road and Brownlow hill from now onwards and consequently the need for joined up thinking about how this location should relate to the wider downtown area.

Anyone holding their breath?
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM   #107
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Is that to go in the middle of the triangle of land shown here?

That land needs something, but that's not it!

Would be interesting to see an ariel plan as I'd imagine it'd look quite interesting from above given the shape of the site.

The trouble with the area is that the standard of new architecture is gerenally so poor that this sort of thing could just get through.

However if it is where I think it is then the row of decent terraces running up Seymour Street might force the planners to think more carefully about what they allow to be built opposite.
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #108
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Is that to go in the middle of the triangle of land shown here?
Yep, that's the one. This isn't an aerial image as such, but it shows the proposed floor plan of the second floor, so gives an idea of how the site will be used. As you can see the building will meet the pavement on all sides, but will be 'hollow' to allow for a central courtyard.

There's some additional artists impressions here -

Last edited by Chris B; January 21st, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM   #109
buggedboy

That isnt as bad. I don't mind the mini-tower, but its the swathes of cheap red render that I don't want to see. All it would take fro me to think it looks better would be for the render to be grey. terracotta render looks awful.

Even the cladding on the courtyard looks better.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM   #110
T0M
Scousish

Cheers Chris! Makes much more sense now. I actually quite like the front of the building, looks relatively graceful and has a classic New York feel to it and is about the right height.. The side elavation is nothing to write home about though, but if the right materials were used I think this could just work.

I like the courtyard aspect and the fact that it creates a new streetscape long St Vincent Street. I also like the idea of having more street level shop fronts to increase pedestrian activity in the area.

If this did get built, and they addressed the vacant land south of Lord Nelson Street then it could really inject some much needed life and vibrance back into the area, especially with the new serviced apartment block being finished on Back Bridport Street.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM   #111
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
That isnt as bad. I don't mind the mini-tower, but its the swathes of cheap red render that I don't want to see. All it would take fro me to think it looks better would be for the render to be grey. terracotta render looks awful.

Even the cladding on the courtyard looks better.
I agree about the improvement by using better cladding, in this photo you can see how the cream render used on the building to the left (and now also on the building to the right) is used to great effect, looking modern and classic at the same time. (The photo also gives a good impression of where the new builiding would sit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_P View Post
Photo by Howie_P
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #112
crisis

Likes (Received): 0

Personally I don't think its half bad, I'd like to know exactly what the materials are but with what its got it will do a hell of a lot for the area, making itself felt on the London Road junction, with the Seymour Street section of an appropriate height (similar height as the terrace opposite, I know we always wan't bigger, but equal isn't half bad). The active Seymour Street frontage will show people the extremely important opportunity which that street has to link back into Brownlow Hill, this and the John Moores building at the other end are starting to form that link.
crisis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM   #113
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 716

I'm still sad that art deco styled pub, the Swan, had to bite it.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM   #114
buggedboy

The good news 9relatively speaking) is that it seems the building doesnt use panelling. It is brick. Hopefully teh use of lighter brick will soften the impact of the red stuff.
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM   #115
buggedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
I'm still sad that art deco styled pub, the Swan, had to bite it.
That was an evil place. I remember as a student getting caught up in a massive kick off THERE. All the local "gangsters" used to meet there and do coke off the tables. The landlord couldnt do anything about it as they used to threaten him with violence if he dared call the fuzz or try to chuck em out.

One day he did try to get some guy out and they all went at him with bats.

Nasty. Glad it's closed.
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM   #116
and-r

Likes (Received): 12

i like how the main building at the tip will help create a kind of circus look to the junction with london road, creating a series of feature buildings that front each junction, with the car parts building being the only part left to redevlop
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM   #117
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
That was an evil place. I remember as a student getting caught up in a massive kick off THERE. All the local "gangsters" used to meet there and do coke off the tables. The landlord couldnt do anything about it as they used to threaten him with violence if he dared call the fuzz or try to chuck em out.

One day he did try to get some guy out and they all went at him with bats.

Nasty. Glad it's closed.
Yes, it was evidently past its best as a business (and I'll admit I didn't ever go into the place when I've been in most pubs in town over the years). However, the building had something. It would have been better if its licence had been removed and a new ownership taken over. Horrible word, but something of the "gastropub" treatment could have helped.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM   #118
eyeam

Likes (Received): 90

I'm more bothered about the cheap looking grey plastic cladding than the red brick sections

Apart from that, I think the massing of this building is ok and like the layout with it fronting the road on all sides & having a courtyard. The rounded, taller element is the best part of the building and should provide a bit of a mini landmark on London Rd.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:19 PM   #119
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 248

I do like the triangular tower element; the way it will loom up over you as you approach. It'll also bring more people into that area - that crossroads will develop into a good little hub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #120
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

The tower element does improve it and adds a sorely needed focal point, but it won't be troubling the Stirling Prize judges.

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris