daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #61
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 12

It is definitely better than that bag of shite they have built in Auckland!
gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #62
UglyBob
Registered User
 
UglyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 3

Cool 360 degree panorama of the stadium:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fugley/flash/PANO.html
UglyBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #63
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE
 
SYDNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27,960
Likes (Received): 5089

Thanks for all the updates mate


Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu View Post
It is definitely better than that bag of shite they have built in Auckland!
Eden Park isn't fantastic and/or iconic but it isn't a bag of shit either - as the PHOTOGRAPHS show. (click on the photographs to enlarge them).
__________________


" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #64
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Thanks for all the updates mate

Eden Park isn't fantastic and/or iconic but it isn't a bag of shit either
mmm let me see how to reply............one man's gold is another's bag of shite, let's compare this stadium with the stadia for the last three rugby world cups:

Last one


One before



One before that



the next one:



this one:

gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #65
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else
 
Mo Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 28,993
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu View Post
mmm let me see how to reply............one man's gold is another's bag of shite, let's compare this stadium with the stadia for the last three rugby world cups:

Last one


One before



One before that



the next one:



this one:

I think we've all established that it was a poor decision locating the stadium at Eden Park.

However, the finished product that we have seen thus far, is quite pleasing given the renders we were initially exposed to.

Its certainly no longer an embarrassment and definitely not a bag of shite.

There is nothing the IRB can do about it apart from what has already been done i.e. awarding the 2015 and 2019 events to countries with large stadia, and an array of modern venues.
__________________
You don't need a Holiday, you need CAPE TOWN
#cityofinspiration


Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #66
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu View Post
mmm let me see how to reply............one man's gold is another's bag of shite, let's compare this stadium with the stadia for the last three rugby world cups:

Last one


One before



One before that



the next one:



this one:

Three of those countries have larger populations than New Zealand, and the other is part of a larger country.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #67
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE
 
SYDNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27,960
Likes (Received): 5089

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu View Post
mmm let me see how to reply............one man's gold is another's bag of shite, let's compare this stadium with the stadia for the last three rugby world cups
Hardly my gold (that would be a 11/10), I give Eden Park a 6/10 and a bag of shit 0/10 .... now what would we do with stadiums as large as the one's that you have shown us ? It should be quite evident that New Zealand places it's citizens first and a temporary sporting event fourth.

You are also quick to forget that we are a country of 1.4 million people and Auckland only has 1.4 million people. Why would we be so stupid as to burden ourselves with a white elephant ? I am one of the first to agree that Eden Park is no architectural wonder but it is a HUGE improvement on what we had.

Besides the stadium, the city will be left with a greater legacy which we as citizens can use every minute of every day - unlike some stadium. Your priorities are seriously screwed up mate. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one
__________________


" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #68
piles
Registered User
 
piles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 3

And aesthetics aside, from all accounts the viewing from the redeveloped Eden Park is really good, and meant to be better than Stade De France, Stadium Australia and Twickenham. I'll guess we'll find out next weekend.
piles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #69
UglyBob
Registered User
 
UglyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 3

Webcam shot from today

UglyBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #70
darkhorse09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 464
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by piles View Post
And aesthetics aside, from all accounts the viewing from the redeveloped Eden Park is really good, and meant to be better than Stade De France, Stadium Australia and Twickenham. I'll guess we'll find out next weekend.
No way should Eden Park be rated along side Stade De France, Stadium Aus, or Twickhenham.

Yes eden park looks alot better with its upgrade, but would never compare it along side those world class stadiums.
darkhorse09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #71
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks
 
IHaveNoLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: One of the cracks at AMI Stadium
Posts: 900
Likes (Received): 27

lol at the person who thinks that those two atheltics stadiums are better places to watch rugby at than Eden Park.
__________________
Of Course you Canterbury 1977 1983 1997 2001 2004 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
RIP Rucks, Mauls and any laws against forward passes
Bring back the embankment
Canterbury Dragons - We have the CLAP
Gotta get money - for the things I want to buy
IHaveNoLegs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #72
seaphorm
returning videotapes
 
seaphorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 249
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu View Post
mmm let me see how to reply............one man's gold is another's bag of shite, let's compare this stadium with the stadia for the last three rugby world cups:
and gosh.. isn't it great how a country that's half the size of london, with shit stadiums has managed to be able to host the tournament - ahead of countries with much better stadiums

shit infrastructure perhaps. excellent negotiating skills though.

as for how eden park will look at world cup time? well you don't see the outside of a stadium on the tv when the game is being played. 99% of people don't actually care what it looks like, as long as it's facilities are world class, the seats are comfortable and they get a good view. in this respect, eden park will probably be superior to most of the stadiums you listed above (especially stadium "no atmosphere" australia).
seaphorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #73
darkhorse09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 464
Likes (Received): 0

Great Progress on Forsyth Barr Stadium too

Last edited by darkhorse09; October 17th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
darkhorse09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #74
darkhorse09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 464
Likes (Received): 0

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Hardly my gold (that would be a 11/10), I give Eden Park a 6/10 and a bag of shit 0/10 .... now what would we do with stadiums as large as the one's that you have shown us ? It should be quite evident that New Zealand places it's citizens first and a temporary sporting event fourth.

You are also quick to forget that we are a country of 1.4 million people and Auckland only has 1.4 million people. Why would we be so stupid as to burden ourselves with a white elephant ? I am one of the first to agree that Eden Park is no architectural wonder but it is a HUGE improvement on what we had.

Besides the stadium, the city will be left with a greater legacy which we as citizens can use every minute of every day - unlike some stadium. Your priorities are seriously screwed up mate. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one
agreed
darkhorse09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:12 AM   #75
UglyBob
Registered User
 
UglyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 3

New official photo:



Forsyth Barr Stadium facebook page
UglyBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM   #76
sunnynook
Registered User
 
sunnynook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: auckland
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 0

It looks nice, as basketball hall.Hope the ball won't crash with roof column never
What is the height of the roof from mid field?
sunnynook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #77
UglyBob
Registered User
 
UglyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnynook View Post
It looks nice, as basketball hall.Hope the ball won't crash with roof column never
What is the height of the roof from mid field?
37 metres
UglyBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM   #78
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 12

it is amazing and dunedin deserves congratulations for such a bold move
gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM   #79
sunnynook
Registered User
 
sunnynook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: auckland
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBob View Post
37 metres
Thanks Bob! Apparently it's enough for rugby games and also for football matches too.It's nice to see that Dunedin gonna have incredible stadium.Well done.
sunnynook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #80
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphorm View Post
and gosh.. isn't it great how a country that's half the size of london, with shit stadiums has managed to be able to host the tournament - ahead of countries with much better stadiums

shit infrastructure perhaps. excellent negotiating skills though.

as for how eden park will look at world cup time? well you don't see the outside of a stadium on the tv when the game is being played. 99% of people don't actually care what it looks like, as long as it's facilities are world class, the seats are comfortable and they get a good view. in this respect, eden park will probably be superior to most of the stadiums you listed above (especially stadium "no atmosphere" australia).
you miss my point, I was comparing the venue as a RWC final venue and my original complaint if you take the time to read back there was that where Auckland has spectacularly failed in building a worthy stadium Dunedin has succeeded spectacularly in delivering a stadium worthy of the tournament.

Anyway, I doubt it came down to negotiating skills really, the tournament was meant to go to Japan but i think there was a realisation after the outright success of France it was a safe time to take the tournament to a downsized event and probably the last time NZ will get a chance to host it. The event is going from strength to strength and will probably be too big for NZ to host on its own in the future.

Also I think you mean the population is half the size of London and not the actual country itself ;-)
gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new zealand, rugby

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu