daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #21
Nout
AstroNout

Likes (Received): 1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Liège is a city that keeps its secrets extremely well hidden. Although I enjoyed the pictures above, it is quite difficult to catch the atmosphere of it in photo's.

It is true that Liège has a very bad reputation in Holland. Dutch seem to grow up with two centainties in life, one is that Germans are horrible and the second is Liège being ugly. Both opinions are just copied over and over again and few people make efforts to see for themselves whether it's true or not. Concerning Liège, I think this opinion is almost completely based on one journey on the highway that used to go through the town. People don't seem to realize that this highway just shows the suburbs. And even then I thought it was rather spectacular, the first time I was driving there.

Somehow I think the Dutch envy the spectacular landscape (mountains) and the urbanity most parts of their own boring country lacks. What doesn't help Liège is the fact that it is only 20 minutes from the Dutch border. The change of the landscape is like day and night and Liège is just too different than their obsession with tidyness can handle. Next time driving here, the Dutch should think of places like Hoogvliet, Lelystad, Emmen, Capelle a/d IJssel and thousands of boring suburbs (which they call 'green' to ignore their plain ugliness), before making up their minds.

Far more than most Dutch towns, Liège is alive 24 hours a day. You can go to restaurants in the middle of the night and you can even go dancing at 11 in the morning if you'd like. Some places are open 24/24 in the weekends. The fact that Liège is still unpolished, is exacty the charm of it imo. People from Maastricht go there to refind the Maastricht of the 1960's. Nowadays that town is just a fake wannabe-version of what Liège is in reality.

But in a way, it'll be better for Liège if their neighbours never change their opinion. Too many Dutch going there would kill its unique charm...
Thank you for these nice and friendly words to the Dutch and especially the the people of Maastricht and the Dutch suburbs...

The first time I came in Liege I couldn't understand that I wasn't there before. This city is really a nice place to be.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Unknownsoldier

Likes (Received): 7

I happen to be Dutch myself...
Unknownsoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Vincedem

Likes (Received): 1

I think Unknownsoldier words make some sense.

Liege is too hectical, too uneven for many Dutch people.

I appreciate the beauty in it!
Vincedem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #24
ced_flanders

Likes (Received): 157

I agree with this, there are definitely a LOT of problems with Liège that they need to work on, the suburbs (like Seraign) can be downright awful. But there is also a free spirited atmosphere that you can notice when you go to a big market or a Standard football game.

About the Dutch-Belgian thing, that's not just Liège, pretty much every city in Belgium is a lot more chaotic than most Dutch cities. You can find ugliness in Belgium that simply doesn't exist in the Netherlands, right next to beautiful extravagant buildings that don't really exist in the Netherlands either.
Both the orderly dutch and the chaotic belgian cities have merit, it's a matter of personal preference.
ced_flanders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #25
Nout
AstroNout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post

I happen to be Dutch myself...
If you're, I don't understand your generalization of Dutch people. You should know there are different kind of Dutch. Like you are? Anyway
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Unknownsoldier

Likes (Received): 7

There are different kinds of people, I agree of course. But someone wrote here that in any thread about Liège some Dutch people start complaining about its uglyness. And I think, if you ask 10 Dutchmen, 9 of them will agree with it being ugly, just because they don't look that critically towards the landscape (or the lack of it) of their own country.

Nowadays the Flemish take the Dutch townplanning as an example, but the chaos of Belgium gives the country much more variety and charm. And of course I agree with people who say that the suburbs of Liège can be very depressing. That is true, but the tidyness of the Dutch suburbs doesn't make them less depressing imo. And some areas of The Hague and Rotterdam with their renovations from the eighties don't make me very happy either.

I think for the Dutch Liège is just too different from what they're used to. But that is not a good reason to call it ugly.
Unknownsoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #27
Nout
AstroNout

Than we do agree with eachother
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #28
Acid-Drop

Likes (Received): 0

Nice set of pics, you seem to have discovered some nice stuff

Liège is now one of the most active city in Belgium, with a lot of new buildings (train station, museum, shoping mall "mediacité") and project ...

Dutch saldly see only the highway shortcut from Holland to the ardennes, this shortcut does what it's made for : avoir the nice city center
Go in Liège see what it really looks like

There are other pics here btw
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=926172
and here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=867152

Last edited by Acid-Drop; January 15th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Acid-Drop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #29
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Nice stuff. BTW, Liege also has a bad reputation in Germany so it's not just a Dutch thing. The city seems to have undergone a positive transformation in recent years though.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #30
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Was on a 6month school exchange in Liege when I was younger, so thanks for the memories!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
belgium, liège