daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM   #1
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Dear old, dirty auld Dublin!!!!

Last edited by nordisk celt83; December 9th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

Nice pics of a lovely town! Hope you enjoyed a Guinness or two while you were there!
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
nordisk celt83

Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. I live here, most of the year anyway, so plenty of time for enjoyin Guinness!
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
nordisk celt83

Last edited by nordisk celt83; December 9th, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Dublin looks really great! I´ve heard so many nice things about the place.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6
nordisk celt83

Old July 31st, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
nordisk celt83

Old August 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Dublin looks beautiful, plenty of Georgian buildings and some of those corner buildings are fantastic. Does it feel more European than British if you see what I mean, because it looks like it's a blend of a bit of both.

Btw, those photos are very good for a mobile phone.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Mr Bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordisk celt83 View Post
Thanks for the comment Mr Bricks. It's nice in parts, but def has its fair share of grime and grottiness. The people are generally nice, and the nightlife is great if you keep south of Temple Bar.
Yeah I´ve heard the nightlife is outstanding and that people are very friendly.

Quote:
I notice you're from Helsinki?? I think Dublin could learn so much from Helsinki, especially the relocation of its port.
Docks always have their charm, but I think it´s nice they´re being relocated. My only concern is that the new buildings won´t live up to the standards of the modern buildings in Dublin.

Quote:
Here's a few pics of Dublin Bay. I live in a suburb by the sea to the south-east of Dublin, so some of these pics are my real heartland. It's def my fav thing about Dublin!
Very beautiful!
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:16 AM   #10
nordisk celt83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Dublin looks beautiful, plenty of Georgian buildings and some of those corner buildings are fantastic. Does it feel more European than British if you see what I mean, because it looks like it's a blend of a bit of both.

Btw, those photos are very good for a mobile phone.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's a good mobile, but I think I'll have to invest in a proper camera.
I wouldn't say Dublin feels particularly European. The remnants of our relationship with Britain are very much still here. Although, in saying that I think Dublin does have a rather distinct feel from the UK.

In terms of appearance though I suppose there are some similarities with PARTS of London in the city centre. Then the suburbs along the coast would be rather like the south/south-west coast of England. There's definitely a touch of Bournemouth/Poole about some of the suburbs. Then the hills (we call them mountains in the uk and ireland), I don't know where to compare them with?

In contrast though, I was surprised when I visited Belfast how similar it was to Glasgow and how it resembled Northern England and Scotland. Despite the obvious, being part of the uk and all, I'd say Belfast has a far stronger British feel than dublin in all aspects.

p.s was in bristol once, great city! Love the setting, and the architecture is very distinct compare to other uk cities.
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:27 AM   #11
nordisk celt83

Thanks again Mr Bricks. I think moving ports away from the city is great in renewing a city's relationship with the sea, which is something that is completely missing in Dublin's case. I guess Helsiniki's city centre is already right beside the sea, so maybe it doesn't feel as necessary.
Moving ports also gives great opportunities for exciting building projects as you suggest could be the case in Finland. Although, I suspect Helsinki, like Dublin, suffers from having nimbys who shout down anything mildly exciting or over 4 stories tall.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #12
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244485

Very nice photos of Dublin
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM   #13
nordisk celt83

Thanks Christos. I may as well take the chance to say I've always enjoyed your Athens photo sets. I visited the city in April08 (during the orthodox easter holiday), and was really impressed with the chilled/safe atmosphere. I'll post a few more photos in a while!
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM   #14
nordisk celt83

Last edited by nordisk celt83; December 9th, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's a good mobile, but I think I'll have to invest in a proper camera.
I wouldn't say Dublin feels particularly European. The remnants of our relationship with Britain are very much still here. Although, in saying that I think Dublin does have a rather distinct feel from the UK.

In terms of appearance though I suppose there are some similarities with PARTS of London in the city centre. Then the suburbs along the coast would be rather like the south/south-west coast of England. There's definitely a touch of Bournemouth/Poole about some of the suburbs. Then the hills (we call them mountains in the uk and ireland), I don't know where to compare them with?

In contrast though, I was surprised when I visited Belfast how similar it was to Glasgow and how it resembled Northern England and Scotland. Despite the obvious, being part of the uk and all, I'd say Belfast has a far stronger British feel than dublin in all aspects.

p.s was in bristol once, great city! Love the setting, and the architecture is very distinct compare to other uk cities.
Oh yes definitely, although those photos are fantastic for a phone, a camera would be brilliant for you as they would make your pictures even better! Dublin sounds interesting from whay you say. Just looking at O'Connell Street, it does have a big bustling capital look to it and as you say, those coast pictures really do resemble the southern coasts of the UK.

I think personally though that I would prefer Dublin to Belfast because of the more distinct feeling. Those narrow streets and many pubs look wonderful. Another great set!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Mr Bricks

Incredible pics! I can´t see the dirt you´re talking about. Dublin looks classy. Dublin does resemble a British city, but from what I´ve seen Dublin looks much cleaner and better organised. No grotty commie blocks either, very beautiful.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #17
nordisk celt83

Bristol Mike: O'Connell Street does have a boulevard feel to it alright, and seems to be liked by tourists. Would you believe though it isn't much liked by native Dubs. (I'll have to take some pictures)
It has seen better days, but has been done up quite a bit in recent years. In fact, most of the north inner -city is quite ming.
Don't know if you'v been to Belfast, but from an Irish perspective it is one of the most fascinating places I've visited. It's like taking a walk through a history book. The division and hostility is still very evident; it's quite a surreal experience.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:39 PM   #18
nordisk celt83

Mr Bricks: Thanks once again, you'll just have to believe me that it has countless failings. My pictures are definitely focussing on the positive aspects of the city centre.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:19 AM   #19
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

[IMG]http://i27.************/9tzujd.jpg[/IMG]

Wow. If I were shown this pic and asked to guess where it is, I would NEVER guess Ireland! I would've guessed Turkey or Israel or some Mediterranean place.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #20
nordisk celt83

Last edited by nordisk celt83; December 9th, 2010 at 06:43 AM.