daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #21
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This city is very attractive.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #22
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrapo View Post
I always thought that Liège was a gray and flat city, but these pictures have shown that's not true, actually I found it quite interesting and beautiful...
It surprised me as well. We stopped by on our way back to the UK after a short break in Cologne. Even though it was a grey, cold and wet day we enjoyed walking around and taking a look. The new railway station was impressive. Unfortunately we never got to the large steps up the hill, but we plan to go back in the future to give the place a thorough exploration. The city oozes character. Reminds me of Bristol somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrapo View Post
It's not as beautiful as Brugge or even Antwerp
And it doesn't try to be either.

One thing that was interesting to me the most was the contrast between Liège and Maastricht even though they're only 34 km (21 miles) apart. Liège is very chaotic city with lots going on, while Maastricht is a very orderly quieter place with a small town feel (plus a lot cleaner). Both are very important regional cities.
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #23
engenx4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

very good
engenx4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #24
Acid-Drop

Likes (Received): 0

Liège is almost 5 times bigger than Maastricht. It's hard to compare those 2 even though there are half an hour away.
Liège is a major educational and economical center in Belgium while Maastricht is a nice cute little town in Holland. They both worth the visit of course, especially when there are so close to each other.

The bad reputation of Liège is hard to change. This city really suffered a lot of the decline of the heavy industry in the 70's and 80's and was indeed grey and a bit sad. But the last 10-15 years have been very different. There's a lot of great architectural projects going on, the whole city center has become way more attractive, major realization like the train station or the Curtius museum are now attracting many visitors.

Regarding culture, festivals and parties, Liège has always been very attractive, at least for people living around, but now that the city looks better, it attracts people from further away.
Liège is now a very attractive city and most people make no mistake.
Don’t miss the Christmas market in a few months, it’s worth the visit too!
Acid-Drop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #25
Helmet222

Likes (Received): 2

This summer, I made a bicycle-tour Aachen-Maastrich-Liège. Coming from Maastricht by bike, Liège looks like some poor eastern european city. Places like Cherate, Jupille, and Bressoux can really scare you when the sky is getting darker. Liège`s suburbs look so different from german- or dutch-ones. They all have in common that there is one main Street, some abandoned looking factories, decaying buildings and sidewalks, turkish snack bars, etc. Those places are sometimes scary sometimes charming. I think Liège is one unique city. So urban, many nice squares, the beautiful new Train-Station, old town, Outremeuse and some really strange but nice buildings. A city you oughta visit!
Helmet222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #26
Acid-Drop

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet222 View Post
This summer, I made a bicycle-tour Aachen-Maastrich-Liège. Coming from Maastricht by bike, Liège looks like some poor eastern european city. Places like Cherate, Jupille, and Bressoux can really scare you when the sky is getting darker. Liège`s suburbs look so different from german- or dutch-ones. They all have in common that there is one main Street, some abandoned looking factories, decaying buildings and sidewalks, turkish snack bars, etc. Those places are sometimes scary sometimes charming. I think Liège is one unique city. So urban, many nice squares, the beautiful new Train-Station, old town, Outremeuse and some really strange but nice buildings. A city you oughta visit!
Indeed, some liege suburbs street can be very bad looking sometimes. It's a heritage from the industrial past, when density was mandatory. It is very different than Aachen or Maastricht, but it's quite similar that what you can find in other big belgian town, both in Flanders and Wallonia.

Here Jupille. It's basic, no flowers, almost no trees, not really attractive indeed, but the house can be sometimes very nice and have a great hidden garden.

Of course if you see only that, like many dutch driving though Liège on the way back from holiday, you'll say it's an ugly and gray city. But the city center is a lot different, like some of you have experienced already. That's why there are so many surprises
Acid-Drop no está en línea   Reply With Quote