daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #281
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
I don't think that's true since the aircraft was flying away from Dubai's Airport when it crashed.
Flying away towards Cologne will also take you on that path.

(Still don't know if the rumor is true or not though)
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #282
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Flying away towards Cologne will also take you on that path.

(Still don't know if the rumor is true or not though)
I know but if they turned around when they were 120 miles away towards Bahrain,they would have fell pointing towards the airport and not away from it. Since it flew over Dubai Silicon Oasis the plane was definately busy departing when it happened unless their visibility caused them to fall like that in that specific area.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #283
KB

Quote:
I know but if they turned around when they were 120 miles away towards Bahrain,they would have fell pointing towards the airport and not away from it. Since it flew over Dubai Silicon Oasis the plane was definately busy departing when it happened unless their visibility caused them to fall like that in that specific area.
They made a missed approach (according to the rumors) and were making a go-around.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #284

Crashed cargo plane's black boxes found

'We can’t come to any conclusions now. All we know is that there was a fire on the plane,' official says. Both pilots killed in the plane crash in Dubai were American citizens

By Abbas Al Lawati

September 4, 2010

Some witnesses said they had heard a very loud explosion near Global Village and that the plane had caught fire soon after
the crash. Other witnesses said the plane turned into a ball of fire while in the air.

A Gulf News reader said he was among a group of friends who were swimming in a roof-top pool when one friend asked why
planes fly so low over Silicon Oasis. It just missed a tower on a nearby building, followed by a huge explosion.

Police cordoned off the area while ambulances were rushing to and from the scene.

American cargo plane crashes in Ruwaiyya area close to the intersection of Al Ain Road and Emirates Road. The crash is
purported have taken place inside the military base located in the area.

An eye witness has confirmed to Gulf News that the American cargo plane crashed in the military base. A photographer by
profession, the Arab man lives nearby. He said: "It was after the sun had set and was dark. There was a lot of noise and
I rushed to the window. I saw the plane coming down rapidly; it burst into a fireball and fell inside the military area.
I recorded the time - it was 7.39pm."

Boeing 747-400 belonging to UPS crashes shortly after take-off

UAE officials are currently trying to determine why a United Parcel Service
Inc. freighter crashed after takeoff from Dubai.

The wreckage of the cargo plane crash near Silicon Oasis in Dubai is pictured on Saturday morning.

Dubai: One of the ill-fated UPS plane’s black boxes have been found, and an investigations team of US and Boeing officials is expected in the UAE on Sunday, said a General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) official.

A UPS Boeing 747 crashed at a military camp on the intersection of Al Ain Road and Emirates Road on Friday killing the two crew members on board.

The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) was found on Saturday morning and is expected to be sent abroad, “most probably to the UK” by Sunday, said Saif Al Suwaidi, director general of the GCAA.

“We can’t come to any conclusions now. All we know is that there was a fire on the plane,” he told Gulf News.

Al Suwaidi said the pilot had already left the UAE’s airspace and entered Bahrain’s before the aircraft started facing problems.

“He was reporting to Bahrain’s air traffic control (ATC) when he declared an emergency and decided to head back towards Dubai because that was a closer airport,” he said. “However he had problems switching back to the Dubai ATC frequency so he remained on the Bahraini frequency as he returned to Dubai,” he said, adding that it was so far unclear why the pilot was unable to change the frequency.

Upon entering Dubai the pilot was given the option of landing in Dubai International Airport or Sharjah International Airport, where air traffic had been completely cleared, said Al Suwaidi.

“He attempted to land in Dubai but he was too fast and too high, so he climbed again, turned left and then disappeared,” he said.

The plane crashed approximately forty minutes after takeoff, he said.

There was a possibility of a fire in the cockpit, he speculated, but insisted that no conclusions could be reached before the investigation is complete.

“If the reason is clear, an investigation can be completed in two or three months, but if the situation remains as unclear as it is, it could take more than a year,” he said.

Both of the pilots were American citizens, according to the airplane manifesto. The American embassy has been notified about the death of its country’s citizens, said Al Suwaidi.

Al Suwaidi said a joint investigation team from Boeing and the air crash investigations centre in the US are expected to arrive in the UAE on Sunday.

Investigation continues

UAE officials are trying to determine why a United Parcel Service Inc. freighter crashed after takeoff from Dubai, killing both pilots, following the crew's report of fire in the cockpit.

The Boeing Co. 747-400 was en route to Cologne, Germany, when it went down on Friday carrying two crew members, UPS said. Rescue workers recovered the bodies, the General Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement on WAM, the official UAE newswire.

http://video.gulfnews.com/services/p...d=602787781001

The jet couldn't return to Dubai International Airport when controllers ordered a landing after being told of the fire, Saif Al Suwaidi, general manager of civil aviation, told state-run Dubai TV. The sky was clear and winds were about 5 miles per hour, according to aviation weather website CheckWX.com.

"Whatever happened, it must have been pretty catastrophic," said Bill Waldock, a crash investigation professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Arizona.

The US National Transportation Safety Board dispatched a team that included representatives of Atlanta-based UPS and Boeing. The crash site is in an unpopulated area near a UAE military compound, according to Dubai-based Al Arabiya TV, which said late on Friday that authorities were starting an investigation.

The accident occurred around 8pm UAE time. "The pilot reported fire and smoke in the cockpit and was instructed to return to Dubai," Al Suwaidi told Dubai TV. "After failing to land at the airport, the plane disappeared from radar screens."

'Workhorse' jet

Boeing's four-engine 747-400 is a "workhorse" jet, which along with its predecessor models has been in service for about 40 years, Waldock said. UPS owns 12 of the 747-400 freighters, according to the company's website. General Electric Co. made the engines on the UPS plane.

"This incident is very unfortunate and we will do everything we can to find the cause," Bob Lekites, manager of UPS's airline and international operations, said in a statement. UPS didn't immediately confirm any casualties.

The company and its pilots union were included in the team sent by the NTSB, along with representatives from GE, the world's biggest maker of jet engines, and the Federal Aviation Administration. UPS, the world's biggest package-delivery company, makes 936 domestic flights daily and 755 outside the US, according to its website.

Freighter deliveries

Boeing has delivered more than 100 747-400 100 747-400 freighters since the first plane entered service in November 1993 with Cargolux Airlines, according to the planemaker's website.

The 747-400 has a maximum payload of 112,630 kilograms and a maximum range of 8,230 kilometers. The extended-range version of the plane can fly more than 5,700 miles.

The CF6-80C2 engines on the 747-400 freighter are used on more than 1,100 aircraft worldwide, accumulating more than 160 million flight hours, GE said.

"Based on the engine fleet's service history, we are not aware of operational issues that would hazard the continued safe flight of aircraft powered by these engines," the Fairfield, Connecticut-based company said in a statement.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...found-1.677428
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #285

Quote:
They made a missed approach (according to the rumors) and were making a go-around.
Now it makes sense.

But I still think its unlikely for Mannama, Doha and Abu Dhabi to say no for an emergency landing. Unless the onboard fire started while they were in the vicinity of Dubai.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #286
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post

Devastation: The remains of a United Parcel Services cargo plane which crashed near Dubai yesterday

Crash scene: Emergency workers inspect the site, near a military base, where a cargo airplane crashed while taking off from Dubai airport

Smoke rises from the scene of the plane crash in Dubai last night in which two people were killed

Blaze: Emergency workers at the scene of the crash last night. Witnesses said the jet exploded into a ball of flames

The military site where a cargo jumbo jet crashed after exploding into flames shortly after taking off from Dubai airport

A UPS Boeing 747 similar to the one that crashed in Dubai last night

Source: Daily Mail
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #287
KB

Quote:
Now it makes sense.

But I still think its unlikely for Mannama, Doha and Abu Dhabi to say no for an emergency landing. Unless the onboard fire started while they were in the vicinity of Dubai.
You didn't get the point.

Its the pilot's decision where they want to go and they decided they wanted to return to dubai. Nobody said no at any time.

I'm not exactly sure of their distance to other airports at that time so I can't say for sure. But with so many gulf states, it sounds a bit weird if dubai at 120miles was the nearest. Maybe they felt more comfortable because they just flew out of there or they didn't realize the severity of the situation until much later...we can't say for sure until the investigation is complete and the real facts revealed.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #288

Quote:
You didn't get the point.

Its the pilot's decision where they want to go and they decided they wanted to return to dubai. Nobody said no at any time.

I'm not exactly sure of their distance to other airports at that time so I can't say for sure. But with so many gulf states, it sounds a bit weird if dubai at 120miles was the nearest. Maybe they felt more comfortable because they just flew out of there or they didn't realize the severity of the situation until much later...we can't say for sure until the investigation is complete and the real facts revealed.
I understand that it is the pilots decision but why didn't they land at Manama, Doha, Dammam or possibly Abu Dhabi since they are closer than Dubai from Bahrain? -Maybe it was an unfortunate decision that was made by the pilots.

I guess the only way that we will know for sure is by waiting for the investigation to finish.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #289

Crash of cargo plane after return to UAE airspace

Abbas Al Lawati and Sara Janahi

September 5, 2010

The UPS Boeing 747-400 cargo aircraft that crashed in Dubai on Friday faced technical difficulties while in Bahrain's airspace before turning back towards Dubai and crashing at a sensitive military site in the Nad Al Sheba Military Camp.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...space-1.677686

Now we have confirmination.
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #290
AltinD
The Modecator

I am thinking the reason it tried to return to Dubai from where it took off, instead of trying an emergency landing on any of the oher airports that were closer, because of perhaps a very sensitive cargo on board. Maybe military stuff?

Look at the pictures, that kind of distruction and burning to the wrackage certanly doesn't look normal.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #291
KB

that could be a possibility though why would such stuff be send by UPS?

The destruction is because it just took off and was full of jet fuel and potentially cargo that was flammable.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #292
AltinD
The Modecator

It's not abnormal to send sensitive cargo with shipping companies, and the plane has been dropping fuel all along before it crashed, so nothing is impossible.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #293
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I am thinking the reason it tried to return to Dubai from where it took off, instead of trying an emergency landing on any of the oher airports that were closer, because of perhaps a very sensitive cargo on board. Maybe military stuff?

Look at the pictures, that kind of distruction and burning to the wrackage certanly doesn't look normal.
It was given an option to land at either Dubai or Sharjah, so I don't think there was any sensitive cargo on-board.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #294
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
that could be a possibility though why would such stuff be send by UPS?

The destruction is because it just took off and was full of jet fuel and potentially cargo that was flammable.
The US Army sends classified cargo to Pakistan (Dilbandin) by some local air cargo company* in Abu Dhabi.

*I posted the name a year or so back in MP, can't remember now.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #295
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Likes (Received): 2383

Russian pilots land passenger jet in taiga saving 81 lives

A Tu-154 aircraft with failed flight control, navigation and radio communication systems has landed in taiga cutting a 200-meter-long swath through the forest, with no casualties and minimum damage to the plane.

The incident has already stirred the country’s Internet community, with the most-debated question as to whether or not the pilots will receive Hero of Russia awards, newsru.com website says.

Meanwhile, a group of the Federal Agency of Air Transport (Rosaviation) representatives have departed for Russia’s northwestern Komi Republic to investigate the incident, which experts call nothing less than a miracle.

The jet, with 72 passengers and nine crew members onboard was making a voyage from Russia’s Far East to Moscow. Four hours into the flight and at a two-hour distance from Moscow, the plane’s electrical generating system failed at a height of 10,000 meters above sparsely-populated taiga.

Pilots Evgeny Novoselov and Andrey Lamonov managed to land the plane manually on their third attempt, over speed, with a failed maneuvering system, no aircraft-to-ground communication and no air brakes.

Click to enlarge As the grassy landing strip was too short for a plane that big, and the air brakes were not working, the Tu-154 rolled off into the wood, its wings “cutting the tree tops like a lawnmower,” said one of the shocked passengers later.
The craft stopped when its landing gear became bogged in a marsh.

The local firefighting squad helped people out of the plane via inflatable escape chutes.

The narrowly-escaped passengers were met in the nearby village by doctors and psychologists and later taken to Moscow by a special flight – except for two who preferred to go to Moscow by train.

Alrosa Airlines, which owns the plane, says the aircraft was technically sound. The final word concerning that issue, though, rests with the special “Rosaviation” commission.

Nevertheless, if no failures in the plane’s load-carrying structure and its power-units are found and a corresponding permission is obtained from the Ministry of Transport, the airline is planning to return the plane into operation – that is, to pull it out of the forest and take off.

Test pilots will be needed, Alrosa’s representative said. Another miracle would be more useful, in the plane’s heroic pilots’ opinion.

According to Yury Karash, pilot and aviation expert, a possible explanation of the accident could be that the aircraft’s equipment was worn out.

“Providing that the Tupolev 154 is not quite a brand new aircraft and I am sure that this aircraft was manufactured at least 20 years ago, maybe even more, I believe there is a chance that the equipment was just worn out,” he said.

Designed to operate in a very harsh environment, Soviet aircraft are over-engineered and still very safe to fly, but they need proper maintenance, Karash said.

He praised the professional skills of the crew, upholding the idea of rewarding them with medals; these would be very well-deserved, he pointed out.

“The Tu-154 is not an easy aircraft to fly, even when everything operates as it is supposed to operate, but to land it with inoperative flaps is a challenging piece of work, and I have to say that the crew did it just fine,” Karash said.

Watch full interview with Yury Karash

The incident brings to memory the “miracle on the Hudson River” just last year, when a US Airways plane with 155 people on board landed in New York's Hudson River after a massive engine failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2soba8xJFk

http://rt.com
Iggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #296
KB

Nice work by the crew
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #297
conorg

Likes (Received): 0

Thats so scary !!!!
conorg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #298
Anice

Likes (Received): 0

Conviasa Flight 2350

On 13 September 2010, Conviasa Flight 2350, operated by a Conviasa ATR 42-320, registration YV-1010, with 47 people aboard, crashed shortly after take-off from Manuel Carlos Piar Guayana Airport, Ciudad Guayana, on a domestic scheduled passenger flight to Del Caribe "Santiago Mariño" International Airport, Porlamar, Isla Margarita.

Aircraft

The accident aircraft was an ATR 42-320, registration YV-1010, c/n 371. The aircraft made its first flight on 7 February 1994.
Crash

The pilots of the aircraft reported control problems shortly after taking off and requested a return to the airport. Witnesses have said that the aircraft struck power lines at 9:59 AM local time, twelve minutes after take-off, in wasteland where materials used in a steel factory were stored. The steel factory was evacuated following the accident.

Source Wikipedia and nu.nl

Last edited by Anice; September 14th, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Anice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #299

UPS plane was allowed to land in Doha

The pilots of a UPS cargo plane, which crashed in Dubai on September 3, were offered the chance to land in Doha but instead chose to return to the emirate, according to the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA).

CRASH SITE: Emergency services attend the site of the UPS cargo plane which crashed in an unpopulated area of Dubai.

"The initial analysis of the downloaded data from the plane's recorders indicated that there was a fire warning followed by smoke in the cockpit, as reported by the crew about 28 minutes (after) takeoff," the GCAA said in a statement, which was published by the AFP news wire.

"The crew were offered by Bahrain Air Traffic Control to land at Doha, but they decided to return... to Dubai, then they experienced cockpit visibility and communications problems,” the statement added.

The UPS cargo plane crashed in an unpopulated area of Dubai, killing the two pilots onboard.

The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) from the Boeing 747 - 400 aircraft was recovered on September 4, approximately six hours after the accident and the Digital Flight Data Recorder (DFDR) was recovered on September 7 “in a reasonable condition,” the GCAA said.

The two recorders were then sent to the US for analysis, along with one UAE investigator, to work on data recovery, the GCAA said in a statement on September 13.

“The investigation team is led by the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), and comprises of 20 experts from GCAA and from the USA National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Boeing, FAA and UPS, who arrived to Dubai on September 5 to assist in investigation as requested by UAE,” the GCAA added.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/59713...o-land-in-doha
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #300
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18164

Venezuela State Airline Conviasa Grounded After Crash
18 September 2010

CARACAS (Dow Jones)--Venezuela's government-run, flagship airline Conviasa has canceled all of its flights until Oct. 1 so that it can review safety procedures after a deadly crash Monday and an emergency landing of another flight Thursday.

"Conviasa, in virtue of the events that occurred in recent days...has decided to temporarily suspend its commercial activities," said a statement on the airline's website.

Conviasa said it would put ticket-holders on other airlines' flights at no additional charge during the two-week shutdown. But dozens of passengers who had tickets to fly Friday morning have been left stranded due to Conviasa's abrupt decision, local media reported.

In the western Venezuela state of Falcon, Conviasa is the only carrier at the airport in Coro, the state's capital, leading newspaper El Universal said on its website. And in the city of Punto Fijo, where only one other airline operates apart from Conviasa, passengers with plans to go to Caracas for the weekend were unable to switch because the other airline's flights were already sold out.

Conviasa's decision to suspend operations comes after one of its domestic flights, with 51 people aboard, crashed into the yard of a steel mill in southern Venezuela, killing 17 of those on board. The experienced pilot, who was among those killed, radioed to air traffic control prior to the crash to notify that he was having problems controlling the plane, a French-built ATR-42 turboprop.

On Thursday, another domestic Conviasa flight had to make an emergency landing at Caracas' Maiquetia International Airport after the pilot reportedly told controllers one of the engines the Boeing 737 shut down.

Lorllys Ramos, who heads Venezuela's civil air crash investigation group JIAAC, said "the plane was checked out and it was verified that it was only a problem with the indicator. The plane is in perfect condition."

President Hugo Chavez created Conviasa airlines in 2004 to promote tourism, both local and international, according to the airline's website. The airline flies 14 national routes and seven international ones, including routes to Buenos Aires and parts of the Caribbean. For the past three years, Conviasa also had a flight to Iran and Syria.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote