daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #361
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

CNN

Quote:
10 killed after U.N. plane crashes in Congo, official says

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #362
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2918

Rio/Paris: wreckage & bodies officially located

Almost 2 years after the terrible RIO/PARIS crash in the Atlantic causing 228 casualties, the wreckage has eventually been located & photographed. A big part of the aircraft was found as well as bodies, all on a flat sea bed.So far the flight recorders haven't been located.

Within 1 month, a special operation consisting of bringing everything back to the surface (aircraft+bodies) will be carried out.

Here are the first pictures taken the past few hours (depth: 4000m)

Engine

Showing the debris'concentration

Source: Le Parisien.fr:

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-diver...11-1392990.php
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #363
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney_jec View Post
And BBC here...
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #364
WatcherZero

Update on SouthWest hole incident, theyve now inspected 50 (2/3rds) of their fleet and found potentially dangerous cracks in three others, over the last decade they have found and repaired six cracks of this type on 737's during regular inspections.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #365
fozzy

Likes (Received): 84

Bit of a concern about the southwest plane having a hole open up in the fuselage. "Looks like a classic case of metal fatigue to me". Good job it didn't cause the plane to crash!
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #366
n_pon88
wishing i was in bkk

Likes (Received): 13

THEY FOUND THE FLIGHT RECORDER well part of it

Search teams say they have discovered part of a flight recorder from the Air France plane that crashed in 2009, off the coast of Brazil.

But they say they have yet to find the section containing crucial data which could reveal the cause of the crash.

The Air France Airbus plane went down in the Atlantic on 1 June 2009, killing all 228 people on board.

The recorder section was recovered a day after a salvage ship began working to retrieve bodies.

"During the first dive by the Remora 6000 which lasted more than 12 hours, the chassis of the flight data recorder was found, without the module protecting and containing the data," France's Bureau of Investigation and Analysis said in a statement.

They said a second dive was under way.

A spokeswoman for the bureau explained that though only the outer chassis of the flight recorder had been found, the flight data recorder itself, if recovered, could still be in a condition to be read.

"The memory module is like a sarcophagus - the information is very well protected," she told Reuters.

Investigators and Airbus stress that without the "black box" flight recorder, the mystery of the plane's last moments may never be solved.

The wreckage of the flight was found on a fourth attempt, using robots capable of operating 4,000m (13,120ft) below the ocean's surface.

Those who died on the Paris-bound Air France jet, which came down hours after it took off from Rio de Janeiro came from more than 30 countries, though most were French, Brazilian or German.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13218021
n_pon88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #367
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Getting closer to solving the mystery.
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #368
sanjug
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

A spokeswoman for the bureau explained that though only the outer chassis of the flight recorder had been found, the flight data recorder itself, if recovered, could still be in a condition to be read.
sanjug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM   #369
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Amazing.

Quote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110501/...il_plane_crash

Investigators find black box from Air France crash

2 hrs 48 mins ago
PARIS – Investigators have located and recovered the missing memory unit of the flight data recorder of a 2009 Air France flight — a remarkable deep-sea discovery they hope will explain why the aircraft went down in a remote area of the mid-Atlantic, killing all 228 people on board.

France's air accident investigation agency BEA said a search by a submarine probing 3,900 meters (12,800 feet) below the ocean's surface located and recovered the unit Sunday morning. The unit is now aboard the Ile de Sein, a ship that's helping conduct the probe, the statement said.

The statement also included photos of the recorder — a red cylinder partially buried in sand on the sea floor. Judging from the photos, the unit appeared to be in good condition.

Still, BEA officials have warned that the recordings may yet prove unusable, considering the pressure they were subjected to for nearly two years.

"We can't say in advance that we're going to be able to read it until it's been opened," a BEA spokeswoman told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. She did not give her name in accordance with her agency's policy.

Last month, the agency said the undersea search had identified the "chassis" that had held the recorder, but the memory unit was still missing. Detached from the chassis, the memory unit was found nearby, the spokeswoman said.

The flight data recorder stores technical data from the flight. Another so-called "black box" records cockpit conversations. The second black box has not yet been found, but the submarine probes were continuing, the spokeswoman said.

Investigators hope Sunday's remarkable discovery will allow them to determine what caused the June 1, 2009 crash of Flight 447 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to the French capital, Paris. The aircraft slammed into the Atlantic northeast of Brazil after running into an intense high-altitude thunderstorm.

Automatic messages sent by the Airbus 330's computers showed it was receiving false air speed readings from sensors known as pitot tubes. Investigators have said the crash was likely caused by a series of problems, and not just sensor error.

The crash site was so remote and in such a deep area of the Atlantic that two previous undersea operations failed to turn up the bulk of the wreckage. The latest search — the fourth — was targeting an area of about 3,900 square miles (10,000 square kilometers), several hundred miles off Brazil's northeastern coast.

Searchers were using up to three autonomous underwater search vehicles, each of which can stay underwater for up to 20 hours while using sonar to scan a mountainous area known as the Mid-Ocean Ridge. Researchers download the data, and a vehicle with a high resolution camera is sent to check out an area if scientists see evidence of debris.

In early April, French officials said the operation had succeeded in finding most of the Airbus jet, including its motors. Bodies of some of the victims were also discovered.

Determining the cause of the crash took on new importance in March, when a French judge filed preliminary manslaughter charges against Air France and planemaker Airbus.

Air France and Airbus are financing the estimated $12.5 million cost of the latest search effort, but the French government is to fund the retrieval effort. About $28 million has already been spent on the three previous searches for the jet's wreckage.

Experts have said that without retrieving the voice and data recorders there would be almost no chance of determining what caused the crash — the worst disaster in Air France's history.

__

Associated Press reporter Laurent Lemel in Paris contributed to this report.

Old May 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #370
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8963

No crash but this must have been one hell of a ride!

Quote:
Tupolov TU-154 Loses Control and Amazingly Able to Land

By David Parker Brown, on May 9th, 2011 at 6:00 am

First off, I want to point out that this is not my video. This was originally posted in three parts and there was a lot of down time in the video, so I wanted to consolidate it into one clean video since it is pretty powerful.

The video shows a Tupolov Tu-154B-2 (RA-85563) that was stored for about ten years being re-activated and having some obvious flight control issues. There are a few times it looks like the aircraft might be going down after disappearing behind trees, but amazingly the pilots were able to keep enough control to land the TU-154 successfully.

The flight happened on April 29th at Chkalovsky Airport outside Moscow. According to Gazeta.pl, the aircraft is owned by the 800th Air Base Defense Ministry. It appears there was a malfunction with the stabilizers, but the incident is still under investigation by Russian officials.

Needless to say, these pilots are quite amazing.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #371
fozzy

Likes (Received): 84

WOW it's amazing the pilots managed to land this aircraft without crashing. "Very skilled pilots". Tu-154 aircraft have a bad safety record anyway!
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #372
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18164

Passenger plane crashes in Argentina-local TV

BUENOS AIRES, May 18 (Reuters) - A plane operated by regional airline Sol crashed with 21 people on board in Argentina's southern Patagonia region on Wednesday night, local television reported.

There were no official reports of deaths or injuries but local media said there may have been no survivors from the crash of the Saab 340 turboprop, which can hold 30 to 36 people.

Of the 21 on board, 18 were passengers and three were crew members, according to local TV. The plane went down at about 10 p.m. local time in the province of Rio Negro, near the town of Prahuaniyeu, after sending out a distress call, the reports said.

Ambulances and firefighting units were sent to the scene of the crash but aeronautic authorities had no immediate comment.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM   #373
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #374
Sebastian_L23

Likes (Received): 75

"Deep Stall caused Air Francw Flight 447 Carsh; Pilot not in cockpit"

SOURCE

Paris - The pilot of the Air France flight that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean nearly two years ago was not in the cockpit when the plane ran into trouble, German news weekly Der Spiegel reported Sunday.

The report quotes an expert close to the crash investigation as saying that pilot Marc Dubois, 58, could be heard on the cockpit voice recordings rushing into the cockpit when the plane encountered bad weather.

'He gave both co-pilots instructions on how to save the plane,' the expert, who was not named, told Der Spiegel.

Air France flight 447 crashed into the Atlantic on June 1, 2009, four hours into a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, killing all 228 passengers and crew.
The plane wreckage was found in April, about 1,000 kilometres off the north-east coast of Brazil.

Until now it had been thought that the crew of the Airbus A330 flew directly into a bad weather front, even as other planes flew around it.

But according to Der Spiegel, information from the flight data recorder - which was found together with the other so-called black box, the cockpit voice recorder - amid the plane wreckage at the bottom of the ocean, showed otherwise.

The flight path showed clearly that the crew had tried to chart a smooth path through the storm clouds, the magazine reported.

It looked initially as if they had been successful, because there were no indications that they encountered increased turbulence, according to the report.

What the data did show, however, was that ice crystals caused by the bad weather had clogged up the pitot tube, an instrument used to measure airspeed, the experts told Der Spiegel.

After the tube malfunctioned the plane lifted steeply, which could have caused the engine to stall and the plane to crash, the experts said.

The investigation into the crash is being carried out by the French Transport Ministry's Bureau of Enquiry and Analysis (BEA).

On Tuesday, Le Figaro daily reported that the black box data had put Airbus in the clear by showing the plane had experienced no electronic or mechanical failure.

The BEA has said it will release details of the circumstances of the crash on May 27, but that the cause of the crash will take longer to elucidate.
Sebastian_L23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #375
WatcherZero

US Media networks are portraying it as pilot incompetence failing to deal with an 'easy' icing problem. Wonder if its because the airline involved was Air France?
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #376
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
US Media networks are portraying it as pilot incompetence failing to deal with an 'easy' icing problem. Wonder if its because the airline involved was Air France?
The fact of the matter is, the pilots made no attempt to pullout of the stall, infact the PF made the stall worse by keeping the nose up. It was obviously a very difficult situation, but the pilots made a big mistake.

Hopefully the official report will shead light on why the pilots acted this way.

Last edited by future.architect; May 28th, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #377
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 662

Also, according to that same source, other aircrafts flew around the storm while AirFrance flt#447 flew directly into it, since the pilot was said to be not in the cockpit, that can very well be pilot error. My question there is that, why did they went straight through the path of the storm? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it all aircrafts are equiped with radar or something that would detect bad weather if not, they would get reports before they take off and is warned in advanced...
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:51 AM   #378
yatt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

As a frequent traveller it is sad to hear all news about the crash...
yatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM   #379
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
Also, according to that same source, other aircrafts flew around the storm while AirFrance flt#447 flew directly into it, since the pilot was said to be not in the cockpit, that can very well be pilot error.
Firstly, its not that there was no pilot in the cockpit...rather the captain was not in the cockpit but there were two other pilots in the cockpit at the time the events (leading to the crash) started happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
My question there is that, why did they went straight through the path of the storm? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it all aircrafts are equiped with radar or something that would detect bad weather if not, they would get reports before they take off and is warned in advanced...
Many reasons could be there...Airplanes use Pulse Doppler radars that work on reflection of radio waves. Therefore, if there is a small storm in front of you, it could hide a bigger storm behind it (until it is too late). In fact, for such a case you have to specifically increase your power to detect "through" the storm.

Secondly, there is almost daily storms in that region at that time of the year. Storms change all the time and sometimes in a very short period so its possible that what looked like a window where you can pass through, changes by the time you reach there.

Also the theory so far emerging points to super cooled water and I am not such things can be detected by radars. In other words, the storm (possibly) wasn't that strong as to threaten the plane itself but it did disturb/block the pitot tubes (which led to a series of failures resulting in a aerodynamic stall).

Of course, it is something that could have and should have been avoided by the pilots. Pilot error does seem to be a factor and I am sure they are going to look at pilot behaviors in such events ( and how to improve them).
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:15 AM   #380
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

:(

44 Feared Dead In Russian Plane Crash