daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #561
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Asiana Airlines 214 update: two runways (Rwy 01/19) at SFO have been reopened for landings and departures using VFR, according to the latest press conference hosted by SFO Airport. Number of people reported so far on this flight stands at 307 (291 passengers and 16 staff), with some of them unaccounted for, according to officials. The aircraft originally began its flight from Shanghai, in which it went to Seoul/Incheon, before heading further to SFO.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #562
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Besides Runways 1L/19R and 1R/19L now operational again, it appears the debris field may not affect the most critical runway, 28R/10L. With diligent work, 28R/10L could be brought back to full operation in a few days, which means Lufthansa Flight 454/455 (which uses the A380-800) could resume operations to and from the airport again.

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #563
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro-rj View Post
The plane is already on fire, but you see women with large carry-on luggage from the overhead lockers... the deaths of this crash better not have been because these 'ladies' caused delays in de-boarding because they needed their precious luggage.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #564
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 3486

Apparently this was a visual approach (i.e. no automated landing aids were operational) and based on the testimony of a passenger, the pilot over-corrected a too-high approach (descended too fast and engaged full thrust too late) resulting in a heavy tail-strike short of the runway. The rear-most crew were thrown out of the fuselage when the tail was ripped off and the plane careered across the runway (ripping the gear off). The resultant fire occurred quite some time after the aircraft came to rest.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #565
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Besides Runways 1L/19R and 1R/19L now operational again, it appears the debris field may not affect the most critical runway, 28R/10L. With diligent work, 28R/10L could be brought back to full operation in a few days, which means Lufthansa Flight 454/455 (which uses the A380-800) could resume operations to and from the airport again.
Which of the 10/28 runways was affected? I mean, there are two parallel runways with that designation. And by the way, are you listening to either KCBS or other Bay Area radio station?

And yes, the approach was all visual because there were a series of repairs made on Rwy 10/28 lately.

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #566
Clery

Likes (Received): 3611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Absurd, people leaving a crash site with imminent risk of explosion and fire with handbags and other stuff
Evacuation requires people to queue anyway. While waiting to move forward, why wouldn't you take your luggage with you?

I actually think most people would do the same. It's not as if it was blocking people from advancing.
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #567
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Asiana Airlines 214 update: two runways at SFO (Rwy 01L/19R and Rwy 01R/19L) back in service, allowing landings and departures. 60 people on board the flight are still unaccounted for, with a latest press conference to begin in a few minutes. Several international and domestic flights diverted to multiple airports, including OAK, SJC, LAX, SMF, SLC, and SEA.

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #568
pietro-rj

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
The plane is already on fire, but you see women with large carry-on luggage from the overhead lockers... the deaths of this crash better not have been because these 'ladies' caused delays in de-boarding because they needed their precious luggage.
I completely agree, but it may have been the case that some of the luggage fell from the overhead bins during impact. It wouldn't be irresponsible to grab a bag that is blocking the aisle, in my opinion.
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #569
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Asiana Airlines 214 update: two runways at SFO (Rwy 01L/19R and Rwy 01R/19L) back in service, allowing landings and departures. 60 people on board the flight are still unaccounted for, with a latest press conference to begin in a few minutes. Several international and domestic flights diverted to multiple airports, including OAK, SJC, LAX, SMF, SLC, and SEA.

I got a really bad feeling about this.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #570
sacto7654

Quote:
Which of the 10/28 runways was affected? I mean, there are two parallel runways with that designation. And by the way, are you listening to either KCBS or other Bay Area radio station?

And yes, the approach was all visual because there were a series of repairs made on Rwy 10/28 lately.
From the ATC tapes and the still pictures I saw, the plane was supposed to land on Runway 28L. Most of the initial impact debris field is in front of 28L. 28R appears to be quite clean and with quick cleanup work, could be operational again within a day or so.
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #571
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Asians Airlines Flight 214 update: of the 307 passengers and crew on board, only 1 has been left unaccounted for, while 123 of them have escaped the mishap without any injuries and are being processed at SFO Airport. There are still hundreds of injuries, with 40 of them still listed in "critical" condition, and 2 fatalities, according to the latest press briefing held a few minutes ago. This is very encouraging news.

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #572
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 990

That's the end of the 777's perfect fatality free record.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #573
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
That's the end of the 777's perfect fatality free record.
I understand. Well, this will remain as one of the safest aircraft types ever built, and I'm hopeful that a repeat incident will not occur again. And by the way, I will be listening in to a press conference on the radio here that will take place in a few minutes.

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #574
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 update: all 307 passengers and crew have been accounted for. United Airlines, the largest airline operating in SFO, has been thanked by SFO Airport, SF Fire Department, SF Police Department, and various groups for providing assistance to passengers and crew involved in the stricken flight. Of the passengers and crew, 182 of them have been transported to various hospitals in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties for injuries; 123 have escaped the mishap without any injuries; and 2 fatalities. No further increase in fatalities for now, but with 49 people listed under "critical" condition, and the situation being fluid, things can change over time. Two out of four runways are open for limited arrivals and departures, and NTSB and FAA officials are en route to San Francisco to investigate the incident.

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #575
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

This sadly ends the 777's record of zero fatalities. I think it went 20 years without one.
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #576
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
Evacuation requires people to queue anyway. While waiting to move forward, why wouldn't you take your luggage with you?

I actually think most people would do the same. It's not as if it was blocking people from advancing.
Technically, all your personal belongings should be taken off, highheels off and such, the reason behind is that it can cost further injury or obstructions, but, you can understand that sometimes you wanna keep your personal belongings with you especially if there are valuables in it and most especially your documents, but, that should be the least concern as safety and life should be your primary concen. I am not blaming them for their unconscious decisions and subconsiously acting on an impulse.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #577
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
I understand. Well, this will remain as one of the safest aircraft types ever built, and I'm hopeful that a repeat incident will not occur again. And by the way, I will be listening in to a press conference on the radio here that will take place in a few minutes.
Not "one of the safest"; it's THE SAFEST PLANE TYPE EVER in the history of aviation. Without even looking I can safely say taht the second safest would have a couple of orders of magnitude more fatalities per km flown.

Of course not couting the A380, which have much fewer planes in the air and hasn't been EIS'd for too long, but I guess it'd be just as safe as the 777 15 years from now.
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #578
sacto7654

I'm personally thinking that once the NTSB makes its initial assessment, there will be immediate cleanup work to make Runway 28R/10L--which stayed pretty clean in spite of the crash--operational in a few days, if only to allow fully-loaded 777-200ER, 777-300ER, 747-400 and A380-800 planes to operate in and out of SFO again.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #579
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 662

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Not "one of the safest"; it's THE SAFEST PLANE TYPE EVER in the history of aviation. Without even looking I can safely say taht the second safest would have a couple of orders of magnitude more fatalities per km flown.

Of course not couting the A380, which have much fewer planes in the air and hasn't been EIS'd for too long, but I guess it'd be just as safe as the 777 15 years from now.
If the cause is pilot or human error, I am sure that safest record would still be with B777.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #580
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62874

The A340 also has a perfect safety record when it comes to fatalities, not just the newer types as the A380 and the 787.

But with just 2 crash landings and 2 fatalities (RIP) in 18 years of service with 1,113 delivered planes the 777 remains as safe as the A340 and the A380. As the 2 major accidents with the A330 show, these things we call airplanes are still metal objects that weight a couple of 100.000 kilograms that we somehow manage to make them fly. That there are no more accidents just shows how safe the airline industry is now. That people can actually survive an accident like that happened yesterday would have been unimaginable in early jet airplane age, just imagine this accident with a 707, a DC-8 or a De Havilland Comet.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote