daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #781
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
I don't get it.

For $100 I bought an Android 3G phone with GPS, then I downloaded a free app that tracks where my phone is, plus a cheapo mobile data plan. So if my phone is lost, even if destroyed, I can simply go directly to the last co-ordinates (to a few metres precision) that was logged onto my PC or another base station. Plus I would have known immediately a catastrophic event had occurred because a log entry every second would not have been received.

For a few hundred dollars more, I could get a satellite version that's supposed to cover most of the planet.

How can a B777 aircraft with the latest technology, costing hundreds of millions of dollars, trillion dollar industry, with hundreds of people on board, where every second counts in a rescue, not have such technology that would enabling it to be found within a 100 metres or so?! Is something seriously wrong?

In the meantime, for our own safety, maybe we should then simply leave our phones quietly switched on (despite what airlines say) with simple, I mean KISS, tracking enabled?
Authorities and the airline already well know the last position, along with the speed and heading to say at least. ACARS sends real time all the essential flight data back to the airline's operational department.

But MY is apparently still waiting for the actual debris to be found before giving the final statement. Call it wishful thinking, but that's the most obvious motivation...
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #782
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
I don't get it.

For $100 I bought an Android 3G phone with GPS, then I downloaded a free app that tracks where my phone is, plus a cheapo mobile data plan. So if my phone is lost, even if destroyed, I can simply go directly to the last co-ordinates (to a few metres precision) that was logged onto my PC or another base station. Plus I would have known immediately a catastrophic event had occurred because a log entry every second would not have been received.

For a few hundred dollars more, I could get a satellite version that's supposed to cover most of the planet.

How can a B777 aircraft with the latest technology, costing hundreds of millions of dollars, trillion dollar industry, with hundreds of people on board, where every second counts in a rescue, not have such technology that would enabling it to be found within a 100 metres or so?! Is something seriously wrong?

In the meantime, for our own safety, maybe we should then simply leave our phones quietly switched on (despite what airlines say) with simple, I mean KISS, tracking enabled?
The main issue is that all of the systems you describe rely on the device being in constant communication with a radio base station. There are obviously no mobile phone base stations in the middle of the ocean so a mobile phone would be useless. You would not get a signal whilst flying at cruising altitude anyway. Radar is also of limited use over oceans because it relies on line of sight. The only alternative is a system that uses satellite communication but even this will not have 100% coverage.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #783
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

Vietnam air force planes spot 2 oil slicks suspected to be from missing Malaysian jetliner. The government statement says the slicks were spotted off the southern tip of the country

http://apne.ws/1k35qUr
nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #784
nawa87

I'm not sure how accurate this is but CNN reporting that according to Italian and Australian officials; 2 people listed as passengers on Malaysia Airlines plane were not on board.

http://t.co/vP1UXytJDf
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #785
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
Considering the airline's and aircraft's track records, crew's experience, calm weather conditions and abrupt disappearance, I very much doubt it was any sort of human error or technical malfunction.

It very much looks like an explosion onboard. Anything more gradual would definitely give them the time to declare emergency. An engine flameout would give them more than enough survival chances through controlled ditching, not forgetting the telemetry would still be relayed to the airline's HQ.

I expect no survivors sadly...
Highly unlikely. A mid air explosion would have created a huge debris field which would have been easily detectable. That plane hit the water in one piece.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #786
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Here's what I don't get: where did it actually crash? Two conflicting reports still keep me thinking...

- If the aircraft disappeared 40 minutes after departure, the flight would've been over South China Sea close to Malaysia and Thailand.

- If the aircraft disappeared nearly 90 minutes after departure (as many more reports say), then it would be closer to Vietnam, and that the aircraft would've crashed close to one of the smaller islands in the southern extremity of the nation.

I wonder if any other pilots doing their regular red-eye flights notice anything interesting with that flight since it may be likely that other pilots might have seen it, especially during the overnight hours, many flights operate long regional flights (e.g. Thai Airways, Malaysia, Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, Asiana, Air China, etc) from Southeast Asia to Northeast Asia.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #787
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

About the time of the crash I think it's just a misunderstanding regarding time zones; someone converted an already converted crash time and took it to the press.

Regarding the stolen passports I think the holders probably were drug traffickers or just regular criminals trying to hide from Interpol, and not related to the crash itself.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #788
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolg View Post
About the time of the crash I think it's just a misunderstanding regarding time zones; someone converted an already converted crash time and took it to the press.

Regarding the stolen passports I think the holders probably were drug traffickers or just regular criminals trying to hide from Interpol, and not related to the crash itself.
I know the time zone well because that's the time zone I used to live in before I moved to the US (I used to live in Manila, which is in the same time zone as Kuala Lumpur and Beijing). I wonder who put out that report, though... it's a red-eye, overnight crossing, in which many other carriers do as well.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #789
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

There's always a fair amount of misinformation when these kind of accidents happen, especially when several countries are involved like with this crash.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #790
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

ok so news reports are now saying that the stolen passports were actually used when boarding this flight.

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #791
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney_jec View Post
ok so news reports are now saying that the stolen passports were actually used when boarding this flight.
Then again; which terror organization active in the Asia could make use of European passports? From a quick Google it seems both are white, so we're not talking about Asians who've been adopted.

I still think they were used for a different crime; drug trafficking or just as a cover identity for two of the many Western criminals hiding in SE Asia.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #792
little universe
A Living Sculpture

China's Uyghur muslim seperatists, they are eastern turks with Caucasian looks.

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #793
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post
China's Uyghur muslim seperatists, they are eastern turks with Caucasian looks.
They are about 50% Caucasian and 50% Mongoloid.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #794
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

This is why we need to find not only the remains of the plane, but the two black boxes from the plane.

There's good reason why the black box data is very important: the possibility of an criminal or terrorist act using a bomb. If I remember correctly, both black boxes on Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988 suddenly stopped recording data when the bomb went off on that plane; if the black box data shows a similar stoppage of data recording (e.g., normal operations and then suddenly all recording stops), then we (sadly) have to start looking more seriously at the possibility of an act of terrorism--and we'll have to start recovering as much of the wreckage as possible to find the chemical residue from explosives going off.

However, if the black box data continues to record even after the plane suddenly goes off normal flight to the time of impact, then we have to look more at the chance of some mechanical failure or pilot action causing the plane to crash.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #795
nawa87

We will all know when the black box is recovered and when the investigation is done. I don't like speculating, for now what we know is there are two people on board who appear not to be who they say they are.....
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #796
nawa87

20 on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 worked with Austin, Texas-based Freescale Semiconductor, company says.

http://t.co/hY1el128yP
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #797
nawa87

Well the latest news conference yield nothing new... They are being very cautions
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #798
nawa87

MAS: We will set up a cmd center at Kota Bharu or Ho Chi Minh as soon as aircraft location established

http://t.co/xGT1P7SsHM
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #799
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
There are two conflicting reports...a website based reports that claim to have lost track just 40 mins into the flight, and the official reports that claim to have lost contact 2hrs into the flight.

I tend to believe the official ones are more reliable than those based on hobbyists, and since total flight time is 5.5 hrs, this flight should have been close to Chinese airspace.

Edit: Map added. This is what I am talking about.
It has been cleared up, Subang ATC lost contact with the aircraft at 1:22AM approximately 40 minutes after departure, they officially notified Malaysia at 2:40AM approximately 2 hours after departure. Subang never turned the flight over to Ho Chi Minh ATC because the contact was lost before the scheduled handover. Had it been flying for 2 hours it sure would have been under Vietnamese ATC's control.

I tend to trust avherald's reporting than anything other than confirmed official report. Here is their page regarding the incident.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #800
nawa87

FBI team going to Malaysia to support probe of disappearance of Flight 370, a U.S. official says. Meanwhile Malaysian official: "We have not been able to locate anything, see anything," of Flight 370

http://t.co/K0MRuHPcDu