daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains > Development News

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #6881
arenn

Likes (Received): 125

Just finished watching Naptown to Super City. It was really, really great. Although the Star refreshes their page automagically every 15 minutes to recycle ads and thus blows up the video. Nice job fellas.

I was thinking this might come across very boosterish. But honestly, I thought while a few areas were over the top, the tone was right on. Honestly, it was pretty amazing to see the journey of the city.

When you compare Indy to cities like Cincinnati and such, you've always got to begin with this in mind: Indy started with virtually nothing and built something, and in the modern era. It's a record not too many cities can claim, especially in the Frost Belt.

Sponsored Links

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #6882
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownIndianapolis View Post
And again your liberal garbage gets in the way of your thinking.
And... Blocked. Not for political reasons, but because intelligent discussion demands respect for your adversary. I might not agree with everything said on here, but no respect is lost from rigorous debate on the merits. No matter what your point is you will always lose when you use overly charged propaganda punchlines to try to make the other party feel small. Those tactics tell everyone else that you don't have a good argument and that you are not able or willing to listen to the other position. You have already made up your mind and have chosen to be rude instead of defending your stance. You wreck your own credibility and you will never change anyone's mind with those tactics.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #6883
ablerock

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I drove by the City Way site yesterday on my way home and they have the "visitors center for potential renters" building set up across South Street where people can stop in and learn about the features of the community and pick up brochures, etc. They have two very nice large screen televisions that you can see through the doors from outside showing a continuous video of what the complex will be like. The video is pretty impressive. I didn't go in because the center had closed already -- but they did leave the videos running inside.
Nice, thanks for heads up.
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #6884
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Just finished watching Naptown to Super City. It was really, really great. Although the Star refreshes their page automagically every 15 minutes to recycle ads and thus blows up the video. Nice job fellas.

I was thinking this might come across very boosterish. But honestly, I thought while a few areas were over the top, the tone was right on. Honestly, it was pretty amazing to see the journey of the city.

When you compare Indy to cities like Cincinnati and such, you've always got to begin with this in mind: Indy started with virtually nothing and built something, and in the modern era. It's a record not too many cities can claim, especially in the Frost Belt.
Back in the early 80's, one of the few street-level downtown restaurants was J. Pierpont's on East Market. When dining there, it was always possible to park a block or less away on the newly-bricked corridor. Coming from the East Coast, I preferred late dining...730 seating. By the time my companion(s) and I were done with dessert, typically the whole waitstaff was standing around waiting for us to leave. At 845 or 9pm.

This is a cultural norm that I am glad has changed, though I do miss easy parking downtown. And I am fuddy-duddy enough to miss dress-code dining. There's always Red Key.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6885
Drewbie

Likes (Received): 3

49th nd college.

Demo Work started up again out of nowhere at the Uptown site. I walked out the door yesterday morning to that pleasant surprise. There's still one house being rented at the 50th street side of the block, but after this every thing else shall have been cleared for development.
Drewbie no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #6886
Drewbie

Likes (Received): 3

Indiana's ohio river bridge situation gets more complicated.

http://www.universetoday.com/93053/r...ky/#more-93053

Unreal.
Drewbie no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6887
ablerock

From what I understand, this is a trailer for the light show. Unbelievably bad place to locate it. This has the potential to ruin the most photographed spot in the city. Not a good look for Indy and I believe details like this matter greatly.

Photos by friends on Facebook:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by ablerock; January 28th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6888
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post

Good grief!!
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6889
DowntownIndianapolis

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post

Yes and that was an EPIC AND GREAT DOCUMENTARY!
Made me cry a little in happiness to see such progress.

In honor of Super bowl 46!
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6890
arenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
That's not on the Ohio River FYI
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6891
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
And... Blocked. Not for political reasons, but because intelligent discussion demands respect for your adversary. I might not agree with everything said on here, but no respect is lost from rigorous debate on the merits. No matter what your point is you will always lose when you use overly charged propaganda punchlines to try to make the other party feel small. Those tactics tell everyone else that you don't have a good argument and that you are not able or willing to listen to the other position. You have already made up your mind and have chosen to be rude instead of defending your stance. You wreck your own credibility and you will never change anyone's mind with those tactics.
And I think that the discussion should not continue! Watch Moneyball, in the scouts discussions... It is going that way.
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6892
DowntownIndianapolis

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownIndianapolis View Post
Actually i would like to see the Market Square Arena site be transformed into the Indianapolis Exchange Center.
Make the Skyscraper 1000+ Feet tall and add some major corporations to it.
Chicago Board Options Exchange Inc CEO recently said he was embarassed to live in Illinois and heck thats a perfect opportunity EVEN after the corporate welfare given by Ill-Annoy to bring a major financial company like that here. Heck building a skyscraper like that we could also consolidate the HQ's of companies like HHGregg and Finish Line and Republic Airway holdings into downtown and move the jobs to downtown from the Suburbs.
Having a skyscraper that tall and with that much spaces gives Indy the chance to target major companies. CME group when they looked at Indianapolis only had the Chase Tower to choose from cause they demanded so much room.
Another great thing about this idea is even if we can't get a bunch of major corporations to relocate their HQ to the Indianapolis Exchange Center as i said before we can move some of the companies in the suburbs into Downtown.
I thought i would add on a little bit to this proposal that would make it easier to fill up a new skyscraper.
Currently Indiana is reducing our Corporate Business Tax from 8.5% to 6.5%.
Why don't we set a new Corporate Tax rate of 0% for companies Headquartered in Indiana? That would be a very powerful weapon to recruit businesses with along with Right to Work.
One way to make up for lost revenue on this is eliminate Township level of Government and if needed raise the Personal Income Tax from 3.4% to 3.5%. Curious to see if you guys have any other ideas to make Indiana more business friendly and cut Government Waste.
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #6893
pig

Likes (Received): 8

Upstate lawmaker targets Indy council
Quote:
A Lake County Republican lawmaker wants to rearrange Marion County local government in an amendment that, if enacted, could lead to Democrats losing the majority on the City-County Council.

Sen. Sue Landske, R-Cedar Lake, has filed an amendment that would eliminate the four at-large council districts in Marion County. Democrats won all four of the at-large seats, which gave them a 16-13 majority on the council after the November municipal elections.

Without those, Republicans would hold a 13-12 majority.

Under Landske's amendment to Senate Bill 110, the council would drop from 29 to 25 members in January 2016, affecting the November 2015 ballot.

Landske could not be reached Friday for comment.
Speechless.
pig no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6894
arenn

I think it's illegal for states to discriminate like that in giving in-state HQ's companies preferential tax treatment.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6895
vitamin R

Just got back from checking out all the activities for the Super Bowl downtown, it is wonderful. If you get the chance please go check it out.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #6896
vitamin R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
Outrageous!
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #6897
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbie
Demo Work started up again out of nowhere at the Uptown site. I walked out the door yesterday morning to that pleasant surprise. There's still one house being rented at the 50th street side of the block, but after this every thing else shall have been cleared for development.
I noticed this too - is it finally going to happen?
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #6898
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Looks like the trailer for the light show was moved in after this photo was taken. I agree, Ablerock. Details do matter. It's unfortunate this missed detail has limited someone's original vision of creating a photo location that showcases one of Indy's unique public spaces. Frustrating.

Last edited by k2h; January 29th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
k2h no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #6899
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Looks like the trailer was moved in after this photo was taken. I agree, Ablerock. Details do matter. It's unfortunate this missed detail has limited someone's original vision of creating a photo location that showcases one of Indy's unique public spaces.
Yeah that was taken the night before. And that's what it should look like. That's the money shot.

People are complaining about it, but I'm not hopeful that anything will actually change.
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #6900
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
I heard this from a political insider before the start of the session.

Home rule is the only solution to this kind of meddling.
cdc guy no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
development, indianapolis