daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #841
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Can someone post pictures of the different landing gears and explain the "problem"?
I don't know what all the fuss is about.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #842
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 124

Great day for european industry !

Deadeye Reloaded, AlexisMD liked this post

Last edited by Alvar Lavague; June 14th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Alvar Lavague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #843
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63050

I was lucky to be alone today at work so I could watch the take-off without anyone minding my business. But I just missed the landing because I had the answer the phone right after it did it's fly-by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
The A350 really is beautiful & graceful, I love its slender line & its long wings .

This is not exactly correct, the middle section of the fuselage is not from France but from the across the Atlantic. The US company Spirit AeroSystems builds the composite center fuselage section (Section 15) plus parts of the wing.

http://www.spiritaero.com/Capabiliti...us_A350XWB.htm

http://bloga350.blogspot.nl/2012/12/...-partners.html

They are also one of the main suppliers of Boeing, they make the front fuselage section of the 787 and also parts of the wing. This actually caused problems since Spirit was so used to work with Boeing that it had some troubles to adapt to the Airbus way of working.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #844
Baboulinet

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtcsem View Post
A350's engine is supplied by Rolls-Royce, Trent XWB.
And I don't think the picture said anything about avionics.
Maybe now, but soon, SNECMA will supply the engine, as usual.

Quote:
This is not exactly correct, the middle section of the fuselage is not from France but from the across the Atlantic. The US company Spirit AeroSystems builds the composite center fuselage section (Section 15) plus parts of the wing.
Spirit AeroSystems is maybe a US company, but the center fuselage is built in their Saint-Nazaire factory, in France.

Last edited by Baboulinet; June 14th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Baboulinet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #845
vonbingen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

How old are you?
stupid question do you see the difference between a train from the sixties and a train today a TGV per example ?
by/from far i see no differences between an airbus A350 and a 40 years old caravelle.
see the difference between a car from 1970 and a car today !
the could change the design or the form of the fuselage !
this is a design from the future or named NEW

and every planes today have designs from the past, i dont see outdoor any difference between an old caravelle and a new airbus a350.
whats new on an airbus A350 ?
The speed is the same. 900 km/h samely as the caravelle 40years ago.
The only thing which changes is the reduction in the consumption of engines and the electronic cockpit.

I am sensitive to the novelty, to the design, to the aesthetics.
and Outside this plane is not different from an other one, outside nothing new about aesthetics, A commonplace plane as all the others.
outside i see no difference between a dreamliner and an Airbus A350.
another example, the newest cruiseliners are floating cities now and much more evolved inside than planes.
For me novelty it is an outside change, the change must be visible.
and my english writing is horrible i know.pardon.

Last edited by vonbingen; June 14th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
vonbingen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #846
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

The reason I asked you about your age was your strange question about the engines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
???? the engines are not from french snecma or safran ?
What Is Love?
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #847
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
I was lucky to be alone today at work so I could watch the take-off without anyone minding my business. But I just missed the landing because I had the answer the phone right after it did it's fly-by.

http://www.spiritaero.com/Capabiliti...us_A350XWB.htm

http://bloga350.blogspot.nl/2012/12/...-partners.html

They are also one of the main suppliers of Boeing, they make the front fuselage section of the 787 and also parts of the wing. This actually caused problems since Spirit was so used to work with Boeing that it had some troubles to adapt to the Airbus way of working.
Spirit is owned by Boeing, no?
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #848
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

This is their corporate profile on their website:

"Spirit AeroSystems is the largest independent supplier of aerostructures to both Boeing and Airbus. Spirit manufactures aerostructures for every Boeing commercial aircraft currently in production, including over 70 percent of the airframe content for the Boeing 737."

"Spirit also has been awarded a contract that makes it the largest aerostructures content supplier on the Boeing 787, Boeing's next generation twin-aisle aircraft. Additionally, Spirit is the largest content supplier for the wing for the Airbus A320 family, and is a significant supplier for Airbus' new A380."
http://www.spiritaero.com/Investor.aspx

They are not owned by Boeing, but they are their most important supplier. I don't think that if they were actually owned by Boeing they would be supplying Airbus this way. But on a smaller scale they do supply each other with less essential parts. Even with the rivalry between them on the publicity side there's also some cooperation going on between them when it actually comes to doing business.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #849
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
and every planes today have designs from the past, i dont see outdoor any difference between an old caravelle and a new airbus a350.
whats new on an airbus A350 ?
The speed is the same. 900 km/h samely as the caravelle 40years ago.
The only thing which changes is the reduction in the consumption of engines and the electronic cockpit.
I think the main reason why airplanes have not changed too much is because a revolutionary new shape is simply not that much better when it comes to performance... yet.

The extra costs of a completely new shape will have to compensated by a significant reduction in fuel and operational costs. With the fuel reductions of the 787 and the A350 that are about 10 to 20 percent compared to the current airplanes it's simply not interesting for both the manufactures and the airlines to change into something completely new.

I think that only a revolutionary new engine will be trigger to try something new, like the scramjet that could make supersonic travel much more fuel efficient then the Concorde. Advances into space for regular flights could also be a driving factor, but that is directly linked with the new engine technology.

For me the fuel burn reductions for the 787 and the A350 are simply amazing, especially because these are improvements of a design that has already developed so much over the last 60 years.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #850
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=79888&size=large

Deadeye Reloaded, Munwon, Cager, Godius, EK413 and 6 others liked this post
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #851
KamZolt

Likes (Received): 365

KamZolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #852
Clery

Likes (Received): 3615

Congratulations Airbus. This program moves forward at a good pace.
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #853
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

A short recap of the 1st flight on the Airbus YouTube channel.

Just search on YouTube for more video's of the events yesterday.

Márcio Cabral, Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #854
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

I am deeply impressed with the initial flight of the A350, with its really smooth takeoff and wonderful aircraft body... Hopefully, this will really bring aviation to brand new heights in terms of fuel efficiency and range.

Source

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #855
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

image hosted on flickr

Maiden Flight of the Airbus A350 XWB MSN1 F-WXWB by EADSpics, on Flickr
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #856
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Ahead of the order rush in Paris Bloomberg reports that United might convert their A350-900 order into an A350-1000 order and order some more.

Quote:
United Said to Shift to Biggest Dreamliner 787, A350 Jets

United Airlines (UAL) is in talks to buy the largest versions of Boeing Co. (BA)’s 787 Dreamliner and Airbus SAS’s A350, making it the first U.S. carrier to fly the new long-haul jets, people familiar with the matter said.

The carrier will modify a 2009 order to take 25 wide-body A350-1000s instead of the smaller -900 variant as once planned, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. United also will convert options for a couple dozen A350s and Dreamliners into firm orders, with the Boeing jets being the new 787-10X model, the people said.
full article:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...a350-1000.html

For Airbus it's good that the A350-1000 gets a bit more orders, but it also shows that the 787-10 will be a very strong competitor against the A350-900. Both Airbus and Boeing have plans to ramp up the production even further over the next couple of years it's going to be an even more interesting "fight" with the launch of the 787-10 as the 2 product ranges become more similar in size.

Márcio Cabral, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #857
kgl

Likes (Received): 143

kgl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #858
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wouldn't be surprised that United Continental Holdings is looking at upping the total A350XWB buy to somewhere between 35 an 40 A350XWB-1000's. That way, United can start to retire the now-aging 747-400 fleet.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #859
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Ahead of the order rush in Paris Bloomberg reports that United might convert their A350-900 order into an A350-1000 order and order some more.

full article:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...a350-1000.html

For Airbus it's good that the A350-1000 gets a bit more orders, but it also shows that the 787-10 will be a very strong competitor against the A350-900. Both Airbus and Boeing have plans to ramp up the production even further over the next couple of years it's going to be an even more interesting "fight" with the launch of the 787-10 as the 2 product ranges become more similar in size.

What I don´t understand is why Airbus doesn´t have a plane to compete with the 787-8? The 787-8 has currently impressive 535 orders (according to wikipedia) so it´s clear that the airline industry wants airliners of this size.
So isn´t the gap between the A321 and the A350-800 (the smallest A350) too big? Wouldn´t a A350-700 make sense to be launched?

I know that there is still the smaller A330-200 but this plane will be produced only for the next 7-8 years and it has no chance against the 787-8 anyway.
What Is Love?
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #860
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

The market already thinks that the A350-800 is too small, doing another shrink with the A350-700 probably isn't what airlines are looking for. It will simply not be able to compete with the 787-8, that is a baseline design and not a shrink of the 787-9. If Airbus wanted to compete with the 787-8 they would have started smaller with the A350. That was the original idea for the A350, which was much more an upgraded version of the A330. But Airbus thought that planes will only get bigger, so they decided to make the A350 longer and also wider, hence the XWB: extra wide body tag.

I think that Airbus predicted that the 787-8 would also suffer from airlines upgrading their orders to a larger version. Although that has happened it was not as much as for the A350-800, and the 787-8 is even getting new orders this year. AA's original commitment was only for the 787-9, but they did order 12 787-8s as well when they firmed up their order. Singapore Airlines also changed their order for Scoot from 20 -9s to an even split with 10 for both versions.

If Airbus still wants to compete with the 787-8, they can only go with a A330neo right now. And if they want to go a step further they could give it CFRP wings. I don't see them do a completely new design right now, they are still too busy with the development of the A350versions. But there's a nice niche there for a next new program, they could start with a plane that fits between the A321 and the 787-8, see it as a proper 757 replacement. And have a stretch with a similar size to the 787-8. That could be interesting for many airlines, especially for narrow body operators that want something slightly bigger.

Deadeye Reloaded, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
airbus, airplane