daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #861
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Nice idea with this new airplane type between the A321 and the A350-800 but on the other hand it´s very true that Airbus is currently very busy with the A350 and the A320neo programmes and when these two will be completed it will be time to develop the A380-900 and maybe even the A380F. So a lot of work for the near future with no time for something totally new.

Quote:
The A350 XWB’s first flight: Fantastic…impressive…and quiet!

14 June 2013

The world’s aviation sector moved to the rhythm of Airbus’ A350 XWB today as this new-generation jetliner performed its first flight – viewed by thousands of company employees, industry executives and aircraft enthusiasts at Toulouse, France, and followed on the Internet by a global audience.

Beginning its takeoff roll exactly on time at 10:00 a.m., the no. 1 A350 XWB smoothly rotated and climbed away from Runway 32L at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport, ascending through scattered clouds as it was accompanied by a photo chase aircraft.

Operating on maximum takeoff power of its two Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines, the A350 XWB demonstrated the aircraft’s low external noise levels and excellent handling conditions from its first moments in the air.

“The A350 XWB is fantastic and impressive,” said John Leahy moments after the historic takeoff. “Did you hear how quiet it was? We’re going to set new standards with the A350 XWB – not just for comfort and performance, but for environmental friendliness as well.”

Airbus employees welcomed the newest member of the company’s jetliner family by turning out in large numbers at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport – many waving flags with the message: “A350 XWB first flight – We did it!”

Additionally, more than 50,000 visitors watched the A350 XWB’s takeoff on the airbus.com website, which delivered on-line streaming that also included real-time air-to-air video. This coverage enabled viewers to share the experience as the aircraft went airborne for the first time, and subsequently provided real-time views during such key moments as the first landing gear retraction and certain handling qualities evaluations.

Video of the first flight was provided on Airbus’ You Tube channel, and comments were posted on Twitter using the #A350firstflight hashtag.

While airborne, the A350 XWB was clearly identifiable by the extra widebody fuselage cross-section, its distinctive wrap-around windshield and streamlined nose profile, along with the tapered wings – a result of Airbus’ advanced aerodynamic design. To further distinguish the new aircraft, it carries the A350 WXB designation – complete with the stylized logo – in large letters on its fuselage centerline.

In completing its 4-hour, 5-minute maiden mission, the A380 XWB performed a flyby of Toulouse-Blagnac Airport before landing on Runway 32L to applause and cheers.

The A350 XWB that flew today is designated MSN1, and is an A350-900 version. This is the mid-family member of the A350 XWB Family, with the -900 to accommodate 314 passengers in a typical three-class configuration. The longer-fuselage A350-1000 version seats 350, while the shortest – the A350-800 – has a capacity of 270 passengers.

A total of five aircraft will participate in the A350-900’s 2,500-flight hour test and certification programme in support of this first A350 XWB version to enter airline service.

What Is Love?

Highcliff, kgl, Márcio Cabral, nelkson liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #862
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

beautiful and gorgeous...it is exciting....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #863
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
stupid question do you see the difference between a train from the sixties and a train today a TGV per example ?
by/from far i see no differences between an airbus A350 and a 40 years old caravelle.
see the difference between a car from 1970 and a car today !
the could change the design or the form of the fuselage !
this is a design from the future or named NEW

and every planes today have designs from the past, i dont see outdoor any difference between an old caravelle and a new airbus a350.
whats new on an airbus A350 ?
The speed is the same. 900 km/h samely as the caravelle 40years ago.
The only thing which changes is the reduction in the consumption of engines and the electronic cockpit.

I am sensitive to the novelty, to the design, to the aesthetics.
and Outside this plane is not different from an other one, outside nothing new about aesthetics, A commonplace plane as all the others.
outside i see no difference between a dreamliner and an Airbus A350.
another example, the newest cruiseliners are floating cities now and much more evolved inside than planes.
For me novelty it is an outside change, the change must be visible.
and my english writing is horrible i know.pardon.

The answer to your question in one word is: Lift

Planes must be designed within strict limitations to allow for lift. Those pictures you're looking at are artists' renderings. They may look cool, but if the research is inconclusive, then Boeing and Airbus won't build them.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #864
mark999

Likes (Received): 1

There is room for an aircraft between the A321 and A350-800, a good example is my local airport Bristol where the runway won't be extended but there is demand for an aircraft larger than the A321 and can just take a not too heavy loaded 767.

Maybe it might come in the form of a replacement for the A320neo family in the distant future.

As it gives airbus options to fully develop other options in the mean time

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
mark999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #865
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

The first flight was tremendous. I'm looking forward to all these interesting orders which are rumoured.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #866
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

are all of these pitot tubes?? why are there so many of them??

Highcliff liked this post
pi_malejana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #867
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=79945&size=large

809anthony liked this post
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #868
Tatanmr
Avionics ...

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_malejana View Post

Only two on the right side are pitot tubes (first officer and altern), the one below them i think its anti-ice sensor, on the top below the windshield i am not sure what are the 3 in the midle (they look like aoa sensors) but the other two are temperature sensors.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #869
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4964

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_malejana View Post

My guess is some of them are only for testing purposes.
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #870
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

I'm in love with Airbus even more....yeah baby!
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #871
rickycarter93

Likes (Received): 274

AIRSHOW-Airbus wins $7.5 bln A350 order from Air France-KLM

(Reuters) - Airbus won an order for 25 A350-900 aircraft from Franco-Dutch carrier Air France-KLM worth $7.5 billion at list prices, the planemaker said at the Paris Airshow on Wednesday.

The airline also took a further 25 options on the planes, Airbus said.

The aircraft will come into service at Air France in 2017 and later at KLM, the airline said.

In addition, Air France-KLM said it signed a memorandum of understanding with Rolls-Royce on equipping its A350 with Trent XWB engines, including a section on their maintenance by Air France Industries KLM Engineering & Maintenance.

Source : Reuters
rickycarter93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #872
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Never saw the Sri Lankan order coming, good job Airbus 350 team.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #873
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Nice!

Quote:
SriLankan Airlines opts for six A330’s and four A350 XWB’s

Winning combination for efficient long haul fleet.

19 June 2013

SriLankan Airlines, the national carrier of Sri Lanka, has signed an MoU (memorandum of understanding) for six A330-300s and four A350-900s. The airline, an all Airbus operator, has chosen the highly reliable A330 and the latest generation A350 XWB aircraft as part of its long-haul fleet renewal.

“The efficiency, reliability and passenger appeal of our in-service A330s form the pillar of SriLankan’s long haul operations,” said Kapila Chandrasena, CEO of SriLankan Airlines. “Adding more new A330’s to our fleet, combined with the unbeatable economics the A350 XWB will offer, allows us to achieve a strong economical performance.”

“We are grateful of this renewed confidence SriLankan Airlines is placing with us,” said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer, Customers “The winning combination of A330’s and A350 XWB’s will allow SriLankan Airlines to offer the highest levels of comfort to their passengers while also benefitting from superior efficiency levels at any time.”

Airbus aircraft share a unique cockpit and operational commonality, allowing airlines to use the same pool of pilots, cabin crews and maintenance engineers, bringing operational flexibility and resulting in significant cost savings.

The twin engine A330 is one of the most widely used widebody aircraft in service today. Airbus has recorded more than 1,200 orders for the various versions of the aircraft and nearly 1,000 aircraft are flying with nearly 100 operators worldwide. The A330-300 has benefited from numerous product improvements and stands as the most cost-efficient and capable aircraft in its class, achieving average dispatch reliability above 99 percent.

The A350 XWB is the all-new mid-size long range product line comprising three versions and seating between 270 and 350 passengers in spacious three-class layouts. The new family will bring a step change in efficiency using 25 per cent less fuel and providing an equivalent reduction in CO2 emissions. To date the A350 XWB has already won 613 firm orders from 33 customers worldwide.

Quote:
Air France-KLM confirms future with A350 XWB

World class Group signs for 25 aircraft firm plus 25 options.

19 June 2013

The Air France-KLM Group has finalized a firm contract for 25 A350-900 aircraft and for a further 25 options. These aircraft will become an essential element in the Group’s future fleet strategy.

"This order of new-generation, high performance aircraft reflects the importance of our investments for the benefit of our customers, whose comfort is at the heart of our concerns. With the A350, Air France-KLM will continue to operate one of the most modern fleets in the world, and ensure the growth of its long-haul activity, while achieving significant cost savings." said Alexandre de Juniac, Chairman and CEO of the Air France-KLM Group as of first of July 2013.

Peter Hartman, President and Chief Executive Officer of KLM, said: “Our order for this new aircraft type opens a new chapter for the Group. This aircraft introduces major environmental advances and will contribute to our ambitious targets for noise and carbon reduction.“

"We are honoured that our all new, extra efficient A350-900, which has just recently flown on its maiden flight, will become an essential cornerstone in the future fleet development of Air France-KLM,” said Fabrice Brégier, Airbus President and Chief Executive Officer. "The A350 XWB's unbeatable economics and environmental credentials will pay nice dividends into the future positioning of the airline, while the aircraft’s commonality with the groups existing Airbus fleet will generate further efficiencies and savings.”

The Air France-KLM Group currently operates a fleet of just over 190 Airbus aircraft, comprising eight A380s, 31 A330s, 13 A340s, 25 A321s, 54 A320s, 41 A319s and 18 A318s. With this new order Air France-KLM joins an exclusive group of airlines who are customers for every member of the Airbus product family.

The A350 XWB is the all-new mid-size long range product line comprising three versions and seating between 270 and 350 passengers in spacious three-class layouts. The new family will bring a step change in efficiency using 25 per cent less fuel and providing an equivalent reduction in CO2 emissions. By the end of May, the A350 XWB has already won 613 firm orders from 33 customers worldwide.
What Is Love?

Godius, Highcliff liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #874
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4964

Can someone tell me, in simple terms, how the 777-8X compete with the A350? I know 9X will compete because it's larger and there's no competitor (A350-1000 is smaller) in that range. But what about the proposed 8X? How can the A350 not beat it hands down?
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #875
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Can someone tell me, in simple terms, how the 777-8X compete with the A350? I know 9X will compete because it's larger and there's no competitor (A350-1000 is smaller) in that range. But what about the proposed 8X? How can the A350 not beat it hands down?
Boeing's 777X has it's work cut out to seriously compete with the 359/10 cause Airbus has made a clean sheet all composite airframe. Boeing will stretch the X a bit, add longer composite wings, and more fuel efficient engines but will it be enough?

Boeing has not launched the 777X yet, nor have they gave us specific performance numbers so we really don't know.

So the standard 359 will most likely compete with the 7810 which will have a shorter range. The ULR 359R will compete with the 778X.

The real battle between the 779X and 3510 will be at the Dubai Airshow. Emirates has made it clear the aircraft must be able to fly DXB-LAX with no seat restrictions, and 50 tons of cargo. If Boeing lands the deal it will be a huge success, but Airbus isn't out of the running yet, and they know this is the deal of all deals. Airbus can still make a special variant with higher MTOW, and upping the engine thrust to meet EKs requirements. Both Boeing and Airbus will give huge discounts to land this deal.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #876
desi1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 813

Nice winglets!

But the nose is not pretty...and unrelated to the rest of the family...i Wonder if there is really a technical justification for it...
desi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #877
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

noir: How many aircrafts are we talking about that Emirates are going to buy?
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #878
mabadia71

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
noir: How many aircrafts are we talking about that Emirates are going to buy?
I don't know any numbers, but if it's anything like their latest orders of A380 and 777, it's a deal neither manufacturer wanna miss.
mabadia71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #879
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62895

Emirates currently has 50 A350-900s and 20 A350-1000s on order, plus 50 options for the -900. They also have a cancellation right for the -1000 because they ordered it early and the specifications for the largest have changed significantly since then.

As for future order A350 orders, they won't be to replace the 777-300ER simply because it's too small. The maximum lay-out of their 777-300ERs have 442 seats in a 2 class configuration and 364 seats in a 3 class config. That's more seats then what is possible on an A350-1000, the 10 abreast in economy of the 777 is the main factor here. That is also possible on a A350, but then it's a right squeeze and the number of seats will still be limited to the total number of doors. The A350-1000 will only come with 4 doors per side, Airbus recently said they scrapped the 5 doors option.

The 777-9X will offer more seats, more cargo & more range then the 777-300ER, Emirates will be ordering this plane, no doubts.

As for the 777-8X, Emirates have stated during the Paris Airshow that they will also have a place for this version in their fleet. Since this will be Boeing's new extreme long-haul plane, that carriers almost as much passengers and cargo as the 777-300ER without any range and weight limitations. And that's were it will compete with the A350-1000. It won't be biggest seller, many airlines won't need the extra capabilities, as stated recently by Qatar Airways who are not interested in the 8X because the A350-1000 is much better for their needs. But their will be enough airlines to make it feasible. The differences between the -8X and the -9X are also not that big, it won't cost that much more money to develop both instead of just going for the 9X. This is the same reasoning as Airbus gives for going ahead with the A350-800, even with the limited number of orders.

ps.
It's good that Air France-KLM finally firmed their order. It already took too long, there were already speculations that they might not firm it up after all and going on a shopping spree at Boeing. Although it would have been fun if they did that, the French politicians would have gone completely bonkers.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #880
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62895

At the end of the day SA firms up their 3rd A350 order that was already announced some weeks ago.

Quote:
Singapore Airlines finalises order for up to 50 more A350 XWBs

Firm order for 30 A350-900s and 20 options convertible to A350-1000

19 June 2013 Press Release

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has increased its orders for the A350 XWB with an additional 30 A350-900s, plus options for a further 20 aircraft. The agreement firms up a commitment announced last month. Under the terms of the agreement, Singapore Airlines will be able to select either the baseline A350-900 or the larger A350-1000 when exercising the options.

This is the third order from Singapore Airlines for the A350 XWB. The deal sees the carrier’s total firm orders for the all-new aircraft increase to 70, plus 20 options. Singapore Airlines will operate the A350 XWB on long haul and regional services.

"We are pleased to announce this latest order from Singapore Airlines as the A350 XWB flight test campaign begins,” said John Leahy, Chief Operating Officer, Customers, Airbus. "It’s another clear endorsement of our all-new design A350 XWB, bringing a step change in efficiency and comfort to the mid-size widebody market with a single product family.”

The A350 XWB (Xtra Wide-Body) is an all-new mid-size long range product line comprising three versions and seating between 270 and 350 passengers in typical three-class layouts. The aircraft will bring new levels of efficiency to the mid-size market, using 25 per cent less fuel than existing aircraft in this size category and providing an equivalent reduction in CO2 emissions.

The extensive flight test programme for the A350 XWB is now underway, following a successful first flight last week. Entry into commercial service of the first customer aircraft is scheduled for the second half of 2014.
Airbus press release:
http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pr...ore-a350-xwbs/

Deadeye Reloaded, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbus, airplane