daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:53 AM   #81
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Get your facts straight. Boeing has now 240 orders firmed for just this year with many more to come:

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm
i said it always! boeing have more firm orders than airbus!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #82
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Trade War Threatened Over £379m Subsidy For Airbus

The Sunday Times
May 29, 2005
Dominic O'Connell & Andrew Porter

AIRBUS is demanding £379m of British government aid to help launch its A350 aeroplane — a far greater sum than previously thought — and is urging ministers to approve the funding in a fortnight or risk losing high-tech jobs to Germany or Spain.

The amount will be far more than other partner countries — France, Germany and Spain — have to contribute and could trigger a transatlantic trade war if, as expected, the aid is agreed by the government.

Officials in Washington said that approval of launch aid for the A350 would lead to immediate litigation against Europe by America at the World Trade Organisation, pitting Peter Mandelson, the European Union’s trade commissioner, against his American counterparts.

Labour made a virtue in its election manifesto of helping the other new Airbus plane, the A380 super-jumbo, and wants to be seen as backing British manufacturing industry at a time when established names such as MG Rover have gone under. Ministers fear thousands of jobs could be lost without the A350 launch aid.

Airbus wants the governments of Britain, France, Germany and Spain to sign up for the A350 by the start of the Paris air show on June 13, when the planemaker plans to announce 100 orders for the aircraft, including a blockbuster contract for 50 from Emirates, the fast-growing Gulf carrier.

Britain makes the wings for all Airbus planes at Broughton and Filton, and directly employs 13,000 people. But senior executives said that if Britain did not approve the launch aid, the A350 wing work could move to Germany or Spain. Industry analysts said such a move could damage Britain’s chances of winning more wing work; the A350 wings will be the first to be made of a new composite material, regarded as the likely choice for all future civilian aircraft.

The tight deadline for approving the aid has led to a furious lobbying battle in Whitehall. It is understood that the Department of Trade and Industry has been told the money is available for it to use in this way.

Tony Blair, who last year opened a factory to make wings for the A380 at Broughton, is thought to support the plan, but Treasury officials have yet to be convinced the aid is justified. The Treasury will have a big say and this week Gordon Brown’s close adviser Shriti Vadera will receive the proposal. Her advice to Brown is considered crucial.

Mark Tami, MP for Alyn and Deeside, who has led the lobbying for the aid, said: “Ministers have in the past given money to bail out unsuccessful British companies, but in our Airbus factories we have real success stories we should build on.”

European governments have in the past provided up to a third of the cost of Airbus projects, with the money being paid back with interest, but only if the plane is a commercial success. Airbus has paid back more than it has received in aid, and Britain most recently approved a £530m amount to fund the design and construction of the A380’s wings.

A Boeing spokesman yesterday accused Airbus of “blackmail” by suggesting that Britain could lose the wing factories.

Airbus refused to comment on the aid application.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #83
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Paris Push To Lift Airbus

The Australian
May 27, 2005
Steve Creedy

THE battle between Airbus and Boeing promises to dominate next month's Paris Airshow with the double-decker A380 aircraft forming a looming backdrop to the expected launch of the mid-size A350.

Airbus's top salesman, John Leahy, has set the pace by predicting the European manufacturer will be able to announce 100 orders for the plane.

Buyers are rumoured to include Emirates and the new US Airways-America West conglomerate.

News reports from the US suggest Airbus has loaned the merged airline $US250 million ($328 million) as part of an order for 20 A350s.

Airbus's Australian representative, Ted Porter, confirmed that Mr Leahy had told a recent technical briefing that Airbus expected to go to Le Bourget with up to 100 firm A350 orders.

But he could not confirm speculation about potential buyers or whether the aircraft would be officially launched at the show.

Mr Porter said Airbus had previously been saying it expected 100 orders by the end of the year but Mr Leahy now expected that to be in the "triple digit" range of 100 to 200 aircraft.

"The important thing he said, of course, was that Airbus's firm orders mean that contracts have been signed and pre-delivery payments have been made," he said.

Airbus is significantly revamping the A350 as it touts the aircraft as a competitor to Boeing's 787 "Dreamliner".

It claims the new plane will deliver fuel efficiency gains of up to 15 per cent with a similar reduction in maintenance costs and a range of 8200 nautical miles.

Mr Porter said the European manufacturer had calculated that a 258-seat, two-class A350-800 would deliver savings of about $US22.5 million a year over 15 years compared with a 232-seat 787-800.

However, Airbus is coming from behind as it tries to catch up to Boeing's already launched 787.

The 787 is a new aircraft that also promises significant efficiency improvements,

The 787 family includes three aircraft seating 200 to 300 passengers that fly between 3500 and 8500 nautical miles using 20 per cent less fuel than today's comparable aircraft. A new interior will offer higher humidity levels, wider seats and aisles and larger windows.

The US manufacturer already has 237 orders and commitments from 19 customers, including those in key markets such as North America and Japan.

Boeing Australia spokesman Ken Morton said a further 430 planes were under active proposals.

"I would emphasise straight off that we are not holding orders off for Paris - we are announcing as soon as we can," Mr Morton said.

"We simply don't have a policy of hoarding announcements to be made at the airshow."

He said Boeing believed Airbus had misread the market for the 787 and was now scrambling to catch up.

Boeing also this week launched a long-range freighter version of its popular 777 after receiving five orders from Air France.

The airline has also yet to rule out a new version of the 747 to take on the A380.

Mr Morton said the US manufacturer had been actively canvassing options for the advanced 747 and there had been "a healthy interest in it".

"We're going to make a decision mid-year on a 747 Advanced which will use 787 technology on it," Mr Morton said. "We see a market for about 300 of those planes and it has the advantage of just slotting into existing fleets and airports."

Airbus has confirmed the A380 will be at the show but not whether it will fly.
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #84
New York Yankee

^Cheese Mmmmm, sorry but

this is always bullshit: they said by airbus that the think there are coming great orders for the A350. but there were no orders the last time.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #85
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
^Cheese Mmmmm, sorry but this is always bullshit: they said by airbus that the think there are coming great orders for the A350. but there were no orders the last time.
True, Airbus apparently came out prematurely on the Emirates A350 sale and maybe a couple of others, but it appears to be because this aircraft is still in the early stages of design. These carriers probably want a more "solid" idea of what they're ordering before they announce anything.

At the least, [I know you're pro-Boeing, but] you have to admit it was a smart move by Airbus to invest more money in this project to make it an all-new aircraft instead of the A330 derivative it was originally going to be. I think if Airbus announces some major orders for this plane during the airshow and can present a more concrete design to other potential customers, it'll surely take off in popularity!
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #86
New York Yankee

why is airbus always making the same planes of boeing. they do always the same thing.

boeing is gonna make the xtremely efficient plane: the 787, than comes airbus with the A350.

Boeing has new colors this year. then comes airbus with new colors too.

Boeing has made the 767, then has airbus build the A330

Boeing has made the 777, Airbus has build the A340.

i think airbus cannot make own idea's...
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #87
MCarr
Future after Past

Airbus has made the A300 simply the first twin-jet widebody, then Boeing came up with the 767, just keep your big mouth shut, you look pathetic!

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.

GEwinnen liked this post
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #88
New York Yankee

yes i that true? i thought always that the 767 an own idea was of boeing but than boeing do the same of what i write of airbus.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #89
MCarr
Future after Past

first A300 came in 1973 or something

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #90
TipNTop
Chartreuse,Vodka,Orangina

Likes (Received): 287

@ New-york Yankee: I think Boeing is a great compagny, which can be proud of these planes.. but what you say is just not exactly true (and I'm sure you know that).

In the 80', airbus was a very small company. How it could become the first constructor of the world without inovation, in front of the giant Boeing?

The major innovations of Airbus come from the "small" A320 with:
- The electric control
- A single model of cockpit for all the planes- a pilot of A318 can use an A340 without starting again a training from the begining, and that's impossible on Boeing's planes.

That's what boeing is know proposing on the 737NG with a delay of.... more than 10 years! (finally, they must think that was a good idea....???)

In fact, the last major innovation of Boeing is the B747, in the 60's. Maybe the next one will be the B787, 50 years later. I hope that, but it's not flying for the moment.

I hope the A350 will be better, too... it's a good point for competition, and that will make work the engineers of Boeing even more. That's good for everyone.

Last edited by TipNTop; May 30th, 2005 at 05:17 PM.
TipNTop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #91
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
why is airbus always making the same planes of boeing. they do always the same thing.

boeing is gonna make the xtremely efficient plane: the 787, than comes airbus with the A350.

Boeing has made the 767, then has airbus build the A330

i think airbus cannot make own idea's...
lol,
perhaps being convenient, lol or perhaps to snub Boeing at its game.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #92
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
You're wrong my friend!

Put it the other way around: Airbus made the 340(93/94) and then Boeing built the 777(95).
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #93
New York Yankee

oke i see. i had just checked the airbus and boeing site, but that's true about the 777.
Quote:
this is true and

Quote:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #94
New York Yankee

double post!
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #95
New York Yankee

ow shit, a double post!
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #96
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4725

Quote:
ow shit, a double post!
You are right about one point: B777 is a fantastic plane. Maybe the best in the world today. But that's not a reason to bash Airbus as you do.

After all, Boeing decided to build B777, because Airbus built A330/A340.
It's the same way with B787/A350 and I hope boeing to build B797 in the futur.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #97
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipNTop

In fact, the last major innovation of Boeing is the B747, in the 60's. Maybe the next one will be the B787, 50 years later. I hope that, but it's not flying for the moment.
The 737 was also an innovation as it was the first of its kind. The 777 was an innovation as it was the first plane to ever be completely designed by computer.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:12 AM   #98
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Yes well, that's how companies act. If one makes a newer better aircraft for a certain size market, the other must respond or face revenue loss.

You can hate Airbus, but it's not like the board of directors is sitting in an evil underground layer in Toulouse thinking "Hmm, how can we copy Boeing's next plane? " It's nothing personal, it's just business.
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:09 PM   #99
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes well, that's how companies act. If one makes a newer better aircraft for a certain size market, the other must respond or face revenue loss.
Yes that's true

i can better stop with tose things. i didn't like it that airbus has created good planes in just 35 years. and i also hate it. but it's also great to see a small company grow in 35 years into a great nr. 2 supplier in commercial planes.

so i keep it for myself that i hate airbus.
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM   #100
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

I love Airbus' planes. They have single handily revitalised the whole industry. If it wasn't for them Boeing would be releasing the 747/500 (now available with new colour curtains!!).

Honestly tho boeing's prob was that it got cocky. It just sat there and did nothing for a very long time. Finally now after Airbus is the leader in the industry is it trying to do something new. Still i think they are in serious trouble.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbus, airplane