daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #1221
mabadia71

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosic View Post
May be a silly question but what happens to these test planes after? Are they scrapped or are they sold ?
Some are sold to VIPs or to Airlines, and some are kept by the manufacturer for demonstrations, future testing, etc...
mabadia71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #1222
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

If these frames aren't too far from technical specification, they are just refurbed and delivered to airlines. A350 test fleet should end in airlines/VIP hands, deals are probably secured since start of production.

Zaz965 liked this post
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1223
XWB
Too low - terrain

Likes (Received): 441

Airbus will keep at least 1 testbed, the others will be sold.
XWB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #1224
XWB
Too low - terrain

image hosted on flickr

#Airbus #A350 Landing at La Paz, Bolivia by BaNziNhO, on Flickr

Equario, Vrooms, PIA777, abnet liked this post
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1225
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62830

Airbus removed the Kingfisher order from their books in December, reducing the backlog to 56 A350-800s. But with a net order total of 230 A359s and A3510s in 2013 it's not something Airbus is worried about.

At the press conference about the 2013 orders they said that they had been pushing the costumers away from the A358 to the bigger versions. This to be able to delay the launch of the smallest version until after the A350-1000 without having to disappoint the airlines that order the A358. And to give the engineers a bit more time to change the aircraft, in this case to make it slightly bigger to position it better against the 787-9. Time will tell if it's going to make a big difference. In the mean time this delay will give Airbus more time and resources for the development of the A350-1000, which is far more important for the A350 program.

future.architect, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #1226
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Interesting hearing about the -800 developments. I really think that this is the route they need to go down to deliver this segment rather than a A330 Neo.

I have heard 2 extra rows mentioned so that would mean:
787-9: 280 (3 class)
A350-800 [+2 rows]: 294 (3 class)

However, I would still love a more optimised smaller A350 based plane with a smaller wing which could compete better with the 787.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1227
XWB
Too low - terrain

In the meantime, Airbus successfully performed the ultimate load test of the A350 XWB’s wing in December 2013, applying loads up to 1.5 times higher than those the aircraft would ever encounter in its entire in-service life. At ultimate load, the A350 XWB wingtip deflection exceeds five metres.

image hosted on flickr

A350 XWB passes Maximum Wing Bending test by Airbus Group, on Flickr

The Engineer, Equario, EPA001, tonttula, EK413 and 1 others liked this post
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1228
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Qatar hybrid livery to feature on test A350

Airbus is to roll out its fourth A350 test-flight aircraft in a special hybrid livery based on the colour scheme of launch customer Qatar Airways.

The rear of the aircraft, MSN4, will carry Qatar Airways branding, including the Doha-based airline’s oryx logo on the vertical fin.

A source familiar with the plan states that the manufacturer’s A350 product scheme will be on the forward fuselage.

“It’s not the first time we’ve done this,” the source adds, pointing out that an A310 test aircraft was painted in the livery of Lufthansa and Swissair.

Qatar Airways is to take delivery of its first A350-900 before the end of this year.

Airbus has been expecting to fly MSN4 around February. The aircraft will be used for tests including noise analysis.

Equario liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #1229
Marce-mora

Likes (Received): 2028

Airbus A350 La Paz Bolivia
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

abnet, mc101, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Marce-mora; January 15th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
Marce-mora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1230
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWB View Post
In the meantime, Airbus successfully performed the ultimate load test of the A350 XWB’s wing in December 2013, applying loads up to 1.5 times higher than those the aircraft would ever encounter in its entire in-service life. At ultimate load, the A350 XWB wingtip deflection exceeds five metres.

image hosted on flickr

A350 XWB passes Maximum Wing Bending test by Airbus Group, on Flickr
Do they still do the test where they actually break the wings? That looks and sounds spectacular. I am not sure which aircraft's test video I watched, but if I were to guess it must be the 777. I think it was supposed to break at 2 times the max load and it broke at 2.1 or something.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #1231
XWB
Too low - terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Do they still do the test where they actually break the wings?
I have no idea, Airbus did not say anything about breaking the wings. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Quote:
That looks and sounds spectacular. I am not sure which aircraft's test video I watched, but if I were to guess it must be the 777. I think it was supposed to break at 2 times the max load and it broke at 2.1 or something.
The 777 I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2QoanZq2jE

The wing broke at 1.54 times the max load (1.5 is required for certification). The 777 wing was a bit overdesigned.

Last edited by XWB; January 15th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #1232
future.architect
Far East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Do they still do the test where they actually break the wings? That looks and sounds spectacular. I am not sure which aircraft's test video I watched, but if I were to guess it must be the 777. I think it was supposed to break at 2 times the max load and it broke at 2.1 or something.
The certification requirement for all planes is that the wing can withstand 1.5 times the maximum load. The 777 famously beat this by a large amount.

The reason Airbus are not deliberately breaking the wing is because it is carbon fibre. Carbon Fibre dust is dangerous to peoples health and cleaning up the hangar afterwards would be very expensive.

It got to 1.5, the test is passed.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #1233
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

MSN2

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1234
baldyman26

Likes (Received): 69

Does anybody know if the progress of the A350 has been filmed for Nat Geo or discovery. There is a program about the A380 but I would love to see one about this fine aircraft

katia72 liked this post
baldyman26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #1235
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Close view of Flight deck of the Airbus A350 XWB .. Source

ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1236
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Does anybody know if the progress of the A350 has been filmed for Nat Geo or discovery.
If I were a manager at Airbus, I would never allow those kind of silly pseudo-docu channels near my planes. Sorry, but 90% of the stuff coming out of these two channels, is just so primitive, plain stupid and full of superficial sensationlism.

Vanaheim, future.architect, PIA777 liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1237
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
If I were a manager at Airbus, I would never allow those kind of silly pseudo-docu channels near my planes. Sorry, but 90% of the stuff coming out of these two channels, is just so primitive, plain stupid and full of superficial sensationlism.
But seeing we are not all engineers, scientists or savants... the question remains valid. And if you were a manager at Airbus, you would see the value in marketing, even though NatGeo is not your direct audience. Touch points are touch points and awareness can come from many sources. And why do some negative remarks always start with a sorry in English; are you really?

Google does not give any hits on A350 + National Geographic so I guess there is no program available yet.
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1238
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

bbq, Bren, Deadeye Reloaded, Equario, Le Male and 4 others liked this post
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1239
future.architect
Far East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
But seeing we are not all engineers, scientists or savants... the question remains valid. And if you were a manager at Airbus, you would see the value in marketing, even though NatGeo is not your direct audience. Touch points are touch points and awareness can come from many sources. And why do some negative remarks always start with a sorry in English; are you really?

Google does not give any hits on A350 + National Geographic so I guess there is no program available yet.
I agree actually, the production values on National Geographic docs are not very high. There tends to be a lot of sensationalism and superfluous flashy graphics. Most subjects seem rather dumbed down and sensationalised.

Certainly a lower standard that the BBC.

That said, the A380 documentary was actually rather good.
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1240
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

Well Id say I'd be all for these programmes coming providing they wouldn't be projected until well later in the testing process.
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbus, airplane