search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure » Airports and Aviation | Highways and Roadways | Maritime | Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #301
Arvor
Arvor

Likes (Received): 1000

Early model Jeepney in Norway exhibition

E Jeepney

I guess one can say that the E Jeepneys are the latest evolution of the Jeepney , but when you think of it the current style Jeepneys hasnt evolved much since they grew slightly larger and longer from the first mark1 Jeepneys , i suppose because there wasnt really just a single company that owned the design and production rights that there wasnt much of a driving force to qualitatively evolve it or even think of exporting it overseas , these current Jeepneys would probably do well in some countries in south America and Africa .

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #302
spearhead
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning Democracy View Post
This design doesn't look proportioned though. If they want people to stand I guess a minibus looks a lot better than this. Jeepney builders should hire Industrial Designers or go to design school themselves.
I think it's beautiful and more practical than the typical designs. Sure it looks like some bloated head but atleast the driver are now more protected with spacious cabin as well where you can actually stand up, plus this is supposed to be the original idea of the first jeepneys when they were actually tried to make a jeep into a vehicle that can function like a bus. I guess. But you knoh the classic look is there too, unlike what they did to E-Jeepneys with flat hood.
spearhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #303
fengrun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvor View Post

Early model Jeepney in Norway exhibition

E Jeepney

I guess one can say that the E Jeepneys are the latest evolution of the Jeepney , but when you think of it the current style Jeepneys hasnt evolved much since they grew slightly larger and longer from the first mark1 Jeepneys , i suppose because there wasnt really just a single company that owned the design and production rights that there wasnt much of a driving force to qualitatively evolve it or even think of exporting it overseas , these current Jeepneys would probably do well in some countries in south America and Africa .
the e-jeepney does not look like a jeepney. Its more like a golf cart.

The e-jeepney body should look like that old jeepney. Short and small. Not a golf cart design
fengrun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #304
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 2027

i can still see in some articles describing jeepneys as "converted World War II-era jeeps"

WTH
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #305
Arvor
Arvor

Quote:
Lol i personally prefer these
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #306
spearhead
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengrun View Post

The e-jeepney body should look like that old jeepney. Short and small. Not a golf cart design
I think it's not really the cabin that should change there, it's the front hood... that is if they really wanna call it an e-jeepney. The front grills look is still there though that may distinguish it as a jeepney but ofcourse it's not a real jeepney anymore too.
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #307
Planning Democracy

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:

If you do research on the internet those are actually golf carts which they market here as "e-jeepneys". They decorated it and painted it like jeepneys for the Philippine market.
Planning Democracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #308
freightrunner

Likes (Received): 586

Quote:

Lol i personally prefer these
These type of vehicles are used primarily for plant tours, amusement park and zoo shuttles in industrialized countries. Unless they are configured for heavy duty and long distance use, the battery won't last that long. Also, there is a need to put up charging stations all over the country and the oil companies surely are not willing to provide such service at this time.
freightrunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #309
le Reine
Finding destiny

Likes (Received): 1731

I don't really like jeepneys. I think jeepneys are the most impractical type of vehicle used for mass transportation. If it used as a private vehicle, then it's fine since it could carry a lot of persons, but use it as for public transpo? Impractical and inefficient.
le Reine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #310
fengrun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by le Reine View Post
I don't really like jeepneys. I think jeepneys are the most impractical type of vehicle used for mass transportation. If it used as a private vehicle, then it's fine since it could carry a lot of persons, but use it as for public transpo? Impractical and inefficient.
i dont think so. Its inefficient because it is owned by a large number of private owners. It only needs to be regulated.

Jeepneys are available 24/7 and fare is cheap.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #311
le Reine
Finding destiny

Well, what I meant was for a densely populated and very congested metropolis like Manila, jeepneys would be impractical. I think it is important to have vehicles that could handle many passengers at a time to avoid overcrowding. The more, the better.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #312
fengrun
BANNED

Quote:
Well, what I meant was for a densely populated and very congested metropolis like Manila, jeepneys would be impractical. I think it is important to have vehicles that could handle many passengers at a time to avoid overcrowding. The more, the better.
agree. There's too many jeepneys. Most are very long and huge. But the e-jeepney size is perfect. It does not clog the roads, and the volume of passengers is not that big.

There must be a regulation on jeepneys size and length.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #313
le Reine
Finding destiny

What I also don't like about the jeepney aside from the overall size is its configuration. To have a good mass transport, people should get on and off a vehicle at the shortest time possible like the MRT/LRT. Getting in and out the jeep is way too cumbersome. If there are too many passengers, it would take a long time before everyone could get inside or vice versa.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #314
fengrun
BANNED

Quote:
What I also don't like about the jeepney aside from the overall size is its configuration. To have a good mass transport, people should get on and off a vehicle at the shortest time possible like the MRT/LRT. Getting in and out the jeep is way too cumbersome. If there are too many passengers, it would take a long time before everyone could get inside or vice versa.
they need to increase the height of the jeepney to enable standing with 1 seat per side front facing position. and the doors must be both back and right side like a bus.

It should be like the malaysia bus that I saw on this forum. So its a short and wide, tall jeepney.

But then I guess it will be a lot of wasted money to change it. Consider how many jeepneys are in the Philippines now. The government can't buy all of those for disposal.

But new jeepneys should have a standard well thought off design.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #315
spearhead
BANNED

Quote:
In a sense that Jeepneys are practical to use because they are cheap and they're everywhere so i agree with that. But perhaps what you were really trying to say is that since these vehicles are obsolete technologies and to keep building them is like walking backwards of our civilization instead of us moving forward to the future, and if so we are in the same page indeed. Just like what i said before, I think it's about time to replace them with mass bus transit system with more environmentally friendly engines such as the likes of propane with lower emission. I think gradually, if only the government can negotiate with those private jeepney operators and give them assurance for job replacement instead of them continuing their businesses, i'm sure they can start with reducing the numbers of jeepneys operating around major cities first, like what some people here were saying, regulate them too.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #316
spearhead
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
they need to increase the height of the jeepney to enable standing with 1 seat per side front facing position. and the doors must be both back and right side like a bus.

It should be like the malaysia bus that I saw on this forum. So its a short and wide, tall jeepney.

But then I guess it will be a lot of wasted money to change it. Consider how many jeepneys are in the Philippines now. The government can't buy all of those for disposal.

But new jeepneys should have a standard well thought off design.

Isn't the jumbo jeepneys have huge cabins and have 1 entrance and 1 exit point? That's what i thought.
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #317
fengrun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
In a sense that Jeepneys are practical to use because they are cheap and they're everywhere so i agree with that. But perhaps what you were really trying to say is that since these vehicles are obsolete technologies and to keep building them is like walking backwards of our civilization instead of us moving forward to the future, and if so we are in the same page indeed. Just like what i said before, I think it's about time to replace them with mass bus transit system with more environmentally friendly engines such as the likes of propane with lower emission. I think gradually, if only the government can negotiate with those private jeepney operators and give them assurance for job replacement instead of them continuing their businesses, i'm sure they can start with reducing the numbers of jeepneys operating around major cities first, like what some people here were saying, regulate them too.
no it should not be a bus. You expect buses around narrow roads like avenida rizal avenue or recto??

The e-jeepney is just right. They should regulate the length of the jeepney.

Current jeepney size is too long. Notice that most jeepneys are almost empty. Its a waste of weight and clogs the road.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #318
Arvor
Arvor

Id say just export the Jeepneys en mass to Africa or central America and anywhere else where they would take them ... , while others can probably still be used in rural areas of the Phillipines .

-----------

Quote:
the battery won't last that long. Also, there is a need to put up charging stations all over the country and the oil companies surely are not willing to provide such service at this time.
I think that they would be useful for local Barangay transport eventually replacing tricycles .. , with regards endurance well there are small diesel engined or electric microbuses nowadays .

Quote:
no it should not be a bus. You expect buses around narrow roads like avenida rizal avenue or recto??
Lol you probably havnt seen these buses yet .

These particular microbuses are made by a company called Gruau in France , the electric version has a 120 km range ( 8 hour battery recharge ) and a top speed of around 50 Km/h and its cabin is probably more efficient in terms of capacity compared to a traditional Jeepney , but of course the cost of these buses could be too much for import but it could be possible to build them more cheaply under license in the Phillipines or maybe sarao etc could copy them somehow .

The large doors of these tiny buses allow for alot of people to enter and exit rapidly with folding seats by the door to allow for baby buggies or wheelchairs , of course the cabin configuration can be changed to suit local conditions increasing seating capacity , these are about the size of a Jeepney probably even shorter , the best part is lol you could even drive these inside mall of asia , no actually the best part would be if all the buses in Manila were this small those drivers wont be acting so tough then .

Last edited by Arvor; March 11th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Arvor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #319
spearhead
BANNED

Quote:
Id say just export the Jeepneys en mass to Africa or central America and anywhere else where they would take them ... , while others can probably still be used in rural areas of the Phillipines .

-----------

I think that they would be useful for local Barangay transport eventually replacing tricycles .. , with regards endurance well there are small diesel engined or electric microbuses nowadays .

Lol you probably havnt seen these buses yet .

These particular microbuses are made by a company called Gruau in France , the electric version has a 120 km range ( 8 hour battery recharge ) and a top speed of around 50 Km/h and its cabin is probably more efficient in terms of capacity compared to a traditional Jeepney , but of course the cost of these buses could be too much for import but it could be possible to build them more cheaply under license in the Phillipines or maybe sarao etc could copy them somehow .

The large doors of these tiny buses allow for alot of people to enter and exit rapidly with folding seats by the door to allow for baby buggies or wheelchairs , of course the cabin configuration can be changed to suit local conditions increasing seating capacity , these are about the size of a Jeepney probably even shorter , the best part is lol you could even drive these inside mall of asia , no actually the best part would be if all the buses in Manila were this small those drivers wont be acting so tough then .
Quote:

The e-jeepney is just right. They should regulate the length of the jeepney.

Current jeepney size is too long. Notice that most jeepneys are almost empty. Its a waste of weight and clogs the road.
Those are great microbuses, pwede nayan pamalit sa mga crappy jeepneys natin!

Masyadong maliliit parin ang e-jeepneys at magkukulang sa pagkarga ng mga pasahero, but sure sa ibang kalyeng mas maliliit nga at narrow na di pwedeng palawakin siguro why not with organized route narin and system. Also another alternative thing to do is road widening. Atleast a bus system should be present while supporting it with those smaller e-jeepneys... o baka naman pwedeng ipagdugtong dugtong narin yang mga e-jeepneys hehe...
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #320
freightrunner

Likes (Received): 586

Here's where dilapidated jeepneys should retire at. DEMOLITION DERBY BABY!!! It will be a good income source for the host municipality and the drivers who will be displaced by jeepney phaseout.
freightrunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote