daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM   #21
auslankan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
What is the logic in closing Aircraft station? It is the real Laverton station. It's opposite Laverton's main retail strip, and closer to Point Cook. The only reason people go out of their way to use the current Laverton station is because its Zone 1 and and has express services. It's in a really inconvenient location.

The big mistake is that it should be Aircraft getting a major revamp and its current location, give it three platforms, move it to the east side of the level crossing, remove the level crossing, rename it Laverton, and shut down the older Laverton station.

Not that it's going to happen now, but still... so shortsighted.
The biggest problem at Aircraft (sic) Station si the massve lack of parking and there isnt the area to expand without gettng land from Williams Airforce Base!

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #22
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslankan View Post
The biggest problem at Aircraft (sic) Station si the massve lack of parking and there isnt the area to expand without gettng land from Williams Airforce Base!
Yes there is. West and east (in the grass reserves - they're not parks) of the current station is plenty of room.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #23
L2
Needs an avatar

Likes (Received): 110

Isn't that base going to be redeveloped soon as the Williams Landing estate?

Lavatory apparently has a big problem with car theft/vandalism there. Typical of the area - had undercover cops once question me there cos they thought I was vandalising a car. Wouldn't wanna leave my car for hours anywhere in that area tbh.
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #24
ooh

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Lavatory apparently has a big problem with car theft/vandalism there. Typical of the area
That's a bit judgmental isn't it?

Agree that Laverton is hardly the most picturesque or desirable suburb at the moment, but do you have any fact or evidence to base such a comment of it's "typical of the area" on?

Living in the Sunshine (I know not exactly identical but some consider the West one and the same) I've parked my 2 cars on the street every day and have never had them touched since I moved here 18 months ago.

Where do you live L2? I would hope you have some strong background on this sort of thing before throwing in something like this that is tbh, little to do with the conversation, it's just derogatory.

Apologies but I'm really quite defensive of my area as many views and opinions on the west is completely wrong and unfounded.
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM   #25
L2
Needs an avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooh View Post
That's a bit judgmental isn't it?

Agree that Laverton is hardly the most picturesque or desirable suburb at the moment, but do you have any fact or evidence to base such a comment of it's "typical of the area" on?
How about these:

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1367573.htm#1367573
http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1311108.htm#1311108

Quote:
Living in the Sunshine (I know not exactly identical but some consider the West one and the same) I've parked my 2 cars on the street every day and have never had them touched since I moved here 18 months ago.
Sunshine is a different area to the Lavatory & Wyndham. I don't think I was talking about cars parked on random streets was I?

I'm perfectly sure Sunshine is a safe place to leave your car parked in a residential street, but why are you trying to counter-argue that leaving a car in Lavatory's train station carpark is risky?

Quote:
Where do you live L2?
Other side of Melb (in the City of Whitehorse, to be specific)

Quote:
Apologies but I'm really quite defensive of my area as many views and opinions on the west is completely wrong and unfounded.
I've been to the west enough times to know about the place. Went down to Newport with a few mates earlier in the week.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #26
auslankan

Quote:
How about these:

Sunshine is a different area to the Lavatory & Wyndham. I don't think I was talking about cars parked on random streets was I?

I'm perfectly sure Sunshine is a safe place to leave your car parked in a residential street, but why are you trying to counter-argue that leaving a car in Lavatory's train station carpark is risky?

I've been to the west enough times to know about the place. Went down to Newport with a few mates earlier in the week.
I live not that far from the area and yes there are some low class bogan shit on the Airforce Base side of the tracks - thats why the cop shop is there but to classify all of the Western suburbs the same as Laverton is very wrong.

Having been born and grown up on the SE side of Melbourne I can assure you there many places just as bad as Laverton - Jordanville,Noble Park ,Doveton,Narre Warren,Cranbourne,Chelsea,Carrum and Frankston North for starters and I havent even mentioned the Northern suburbs shitholes.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #27
auslankan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Yes there is. West and east (in the grass reserves - they're not parks) of the current station is plenty of room.
And to get to the station you have a major traffic roundabout in the way for pedestrians Laverton has at least 1000 car parks with both sides included

On the south shopping centre side there is very little space and apart that it is a waste to have a pathetic substandard station like Aircraft 30 secs away from the now far superiour Laverton station .It just dosent make sense!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:08 AM   #28
Alphaville

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslankan View Post
And to get to the station you have a major traffic roundabout in the way for pedestrians Laverton has at least 1000 car parks with both sides included

On the south shopping centre side there is very little space and apart that it is a waste to have a pathetic substandard station like Aircraft 30 secs away from the now far superiour Laverton station .It just dosent make sense!
You should probably be working for the current Government because of your lack of vision.

Are you seriously telling me that my idea is flawed because of a ******* roundabout?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM   #29
ooh

Quote:
How about these:

Sorry to say it, but this is quite a frequently heard Eastern resident attitude to the West. You've been to the West enough times to know about the place? Where exactly as the West is a fairly large area.... I somehow knew you'd be living in inner-mid east. I love your links, they are just to more forums with more hearsay, individual experiences and more "opinions". No factual evidence to base your derogatory comments on.

I also love that the same site you are using for evidence has this comment "Going on crimes committed, Hurstbridge and Frankston are the two worst lines." and this comment "I've used Werribee, Aircraft, Laverton, Flemington Bridge and Newmarket various times of day and have never felt unsafe at any of the listed stations, I've never really seen any crimes being commited and I'm a very alert person."

I used Sunshine as an example of an area that many people consider rough, scary or dodgy, however the truth is far from it.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #30
L2
Needs an avatar

What's Frankstoned got to do with it? Do you think I'm going to bother defending the place just cos it's not west? Some posters here seem to think I'm going to get offended if they say the SE suburbs are dodgy - well guess what, I go there even less than I visit the west.

As to where I have been in the western suburbs - in the last 3 years or so I've visited most of the main centres. Infact I've even used the two train lines in the area at night - one time was being dropped at Footscray station with a mate at 11pm and some random girl tried to get in the car when it stopped. WTF? Maybe she was a prossie and thought we were picking her up?

Infact I've been to Footscray too many times to remember and semi-regularly head to Newport for stuff to do with the workshops... so you're making assumptions that I'm someone who finds it a rare instance to travel anywhere outside my area other than "the city" or "Knox City" (lol i never go there).

Your attempt to discredit me has failed, please try again.

Last edited by L2; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #31
ooh

Quote:
Your attempt to discredit me has failed, please try again.
I have no interest in trying to discredit you.

I make absolutely no assumption regarding your movements outside of your area, however you make comments such as "i've been to west enough to know about the place" but have only been, according to you, to Newport and Footscray. So if I have been to Kew and Doncaster, I've been to enough of the East to know it all and make comment about Box Hill, Dandenong or Narre Warren?

Yes, as I have previously said, the west still has a long way to go in terms of development, however it is not right to make derogatory comments about an area such as "lots of car theft, typical of the area" without any solid fact or evidence to back it up. Sounds like you haven't actually been to Laverton, a thread you are posting on.

Yes, maybe a prostitute tried to get in the car when you stopped in front of her, in exactly the same way one would in St. Kilda. Your point is?

Furthermore, you make comments like this: -

"Too bloody f***** many - same goes for Railpage. It's an area people seem completely obsessed with - and it's not even an interesting chunk of Melbourne"

Again, being negative. If it is so uninteresting, why are so many people talking about it? It's called redevelopment, potential and investment.

My sole point is that you not make generalised comments about an area or subject with little or no factual evidence to support it, especially when it is negative or derogatory. Have some backup and I am sure all would be open to the discussion. End of, let's get back to the actual point of the thread.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #32
L2
Needs an avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooh
I make absolutely no assumption regarding your movements outside of your area, however you make comments such as "i've been to west enough to know about the place" but have only been, according to you, to Newport and Footscray.
If you're really concerned, I'll list where else in the west I've been, and when I was last there - now are you happy? Those are the two that I still visit semi-regularly.

Werribee - 2007
Hoppers Crossing - 2009
Laverton - 2009
Williamstown - 2009
St Albans - 2007
Sydenham/Taylors Lakes - 2007
Caroline Springs - 2007
Deer Park - 2008
Sunshine - 2009
West Footscray - 2009
Maribyrnong (Knifepoint) - 2007/2008 ish
Sunbury - 2008
Melton - 2008
Yarraville - 2007
Spotswood - 2009
Altona & Altona North - 2009

So what's your counter-argument to discredit my opinions now? You really are stupid to claim I've never been to these places - I've been to most areas of Melbourne. Didn't really feel scared in any of them except passing through Doveton once with feral kids on the street making gestures and staring at me.

Old January 4th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #33
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 217

Let's talk about the Laverton Station redevelopment...
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #34
ooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
as per my last post.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #35
Eco-rat

We need a new dictionary of Melbourne placenames

Scumbury/Scumshine
Frankstoned/Franga
South Morass
Crimeborn/Crambong
Craig's Bum
Nazza Wozza
Lavatory
Ringworm
Klananook
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #36
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 655

Don't forget Franghanistan.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #37
Onijin
Muppet Pastor

Likes (Received): 67

Stab Albans
St Killedher
St Killedher Beast
Reservaaaaagggh
Pissedton
Bongdoher
Thomastank
Laylow
Farknor
Glenwhy
Prancerahn
Chad'sstoned
Nunofwhatif
Croimedon
Burntree Folly
Boxed Dill
Dumbcaster
Templestoned
Heidelblergh
Burntwood
Burntwood Least
Mt Wankerly
Glenwankerly
Lilyduh
Essen-doh
Mooning Poons
Airport Blech
Campkillfield
Mitch-ermmm
Toocrack
Northc**t
Damnedenong
Marryherbong
Footscrazy/Footscary
Mentoad
Camberhell
Matestoned
Murderialoc
Whorethorn
Morerabbits
Claydough
Hoville
Ascot Fail
Springfail

Many more I could come up with, but best saved for a dedicated thread.
Onijin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #38
Eco-rat

Love Burntree Folly and Stab Albans. Lay Low is also good but maybe a bit obscure.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #39
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 120

if you ask me this was all done to death years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
I came through it last week from Geelong; the sleepers for the third track north of the existing broad gauge tracks had been put down, and the new platform (1 presumably) had all the major infrastructure- canopies etc.- complete. The pylons and trackbed for the new track towards Altona had been laid, the bridge east of Princes highway was complete, but the sleepers had not been laid on the south side of the existing tracks. Presumably the track on the north will be commissioned first, then the down track switched to the current up platform, prior to the new Altona line being led into the current south (No. 2) platform.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #40
Alphaville

Two good ones for Highpoint - Lowpoint and KNIFEPOINT.

Tags
melbourne, stations, transportation