daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Old January 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #41
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 114

I must be lacking something here ... I thought this thread was about Laverton Railway Station Redevelopment, and issues immediately relevant.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #42
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 114

An update from Laverton

I come through here often on V/Line services, too fast to take photos. Today I went back by suburban train.

1. Looking east: the new platform 1 (left) complete with signage and electronic signs (not visible in these shots), but as yet unconected to the network. Note the massive platform understructure, and the screens.

I'm told the track will be slewed across on the Labour Day weekend (6th-8th of March). The position of the track beyond the platform seems to anticipate this realignment. My current vantage point here - now platform 1- becomes platform 2, and will be out of service from Labour Day till Easter.

2. Looking in the opposite direction: the new Footbridge has been in use since February 5th :

3. Inside & below the footbridge:

4. Full view of the footbridge: behind it the old bridge (with temporary ramps) is being demolished:

5. View from the footbridge towards the city: left, the ARTC standard gauge track to Adelaide, the as yet uncomissioned new Platform 1; the new "up" track from Werribee/Geelong; the existing "up" track (to become the "down" track to Werribee/Geelong at Easter), the existing island platforms 1 & 2 (since there are two "platform 1"s at the moment, both island platforms need renumbering upwards), and on the far right what is now the "down" track" to Werribee/Geelong etc. but will become the terminus for the track through Altona.

One feature of this which will not be particularly satisfactory is that the Melbourne-bound platform No. 1 will not be staffed. Still: that's the same as for Platform 1 at Footscray.

6. Work on the new track to Altona, which runs for about 800 metres from Laverton: west end of the track:

7. A happy band of Downer EDI track-layers:

8. The new Altona track emerging from beneath the M1 (Princes Highway): note the extra concrete poured, to prevent a second Granville.

9. East end of the trackwork, from the train from Altona. The present track will be slewed to join this, but not until some time after Easter:

Also of interest in the area was the commencement of track-laying for the 9 carriage sidings for suburban trains at Newport, and new point work on concrete sleepers to be installed at Altona Junction.

Last edited by Yardmaster; February 11th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #43
The Collector

Likes (Received): 25

Thanks for the update yardmaster, great work.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

I collect, therefore I am.
The Collector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #44
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 55

Excellent updates there. Thanks for all the hard work.

It is looking good. Certainly gives the station a better look and will be operationally a lot easier in regards to trains on the Werribee, Geelong and the Altona trains. Can only hope that over the coming years that the stations around Melbourne become surrounded by higher density housing and commercial/retail space. It would make them safer and give them a human scaled feel other than a look of seperation from its surrounding environment.

Overall, a good project.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #45
cjb287

Likes (Received): 33

Yes thankyou Yardmaster. Always quality updates from you
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
melbourne, stations, transportation