daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #221
Metrocracy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhouse View Post
That are stupid idiots and nothing more
I understand it if people protest against something with banners and so on, but that

These people don't care about the project and only want to make some problems and fight against the police.
Metrocracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #222
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Colbert View Post
It's correct, there isn't no single track section, neither near Paola, except for the oldest path through Tropea.
Thanks.

I think the physical map I have is outdated, time to replace it.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #223
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
It is false.
I'm travelling every days between Savona and Genoa; from west to east there are only two tracks for all kind of traffic.
Where did I claim that there are more than two tracks west to east? I only claimed that there are four tracks (actually two lines with two tracks) from the north.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #224
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
3. Modernization and some new alignments and twinning (where it's still single track) of Salerno-Villa San Giovanni railway
I travelled that line a year ago, and found it to be quite modern, fast, and double track throughout. However, there was not a lot of traffic on the line. We only encountered three northbound trains on the whole Salerno - Villa San Giovanni trip.

Quite an example of a line not used to its full potential...
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #225
K_

Quote:
Regarding the line Savona-Genova, there is the Cogoleto station that allows to overtake a train and, if a traffic manager is present, even the Varazze station.
So some improvement could be had relatively cheap wif Verazze was modified so it could be remotely operated?
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #226
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I travelled that line a year ago, and found it to be quite modern, fast, and double track throughout. However, there was not a lot of traffic on the line. We only encountered three northbound trains on the whole Salerno - Villa San Giovanni trip.

Quite an example of a line not used to its full potential...
It depends the time you travel. The line sees many early trains leaving Reggio Calabria in the morning northbound, regional and fast ones, then there is a partial hiatus of trains until midday-early afternoon when more trains depart.

It's mostly a long-distance line, regional trains are unreliable, rolling stock is appalling and the regions involved (especially Calabria) don't want to spend more money investing in regional operations there.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #227
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
So some improvement could be had relatively cheap wif Verazze was modified so it could be remotely operated?
Yes, correct!
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #228
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Where did I claim that there are more than two tracks west to east? I only claimed that there are four tracks (actually two lines with two tracks) from the north.
Sorry K, probably I were confused by your statement, because you wrote "...a layout that should allow one to route freight and passenger trains through the area seperately. "

As I wrote yesterday, currently there are some work in progress in order to separate the traffic, because all kind of traffic (passengers and freight) are sharing the same tracks towards east or west.
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #229
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Another two problems with ticket machines:
* in Venezia Mestre they don't sell tickets to Venezia Santa Lucia, without giving a reason. I saw two families of tourists (one Italian, one foreign) trying to buy tickets. I couldn't help them, as I don't know why these machines don't sell these tickets...
* the new ticket machines in Milano Centrale don't sell international tickets, not even for trains leaving Milano itself. This was possible with the older type of ticket machines: selling easily international tickets, one of the things that Trenitalia did better than the SBB or the ÖBB, didn't lasted. Buying them at a ticket counter is not an option as there is very often a long queue, especially on a Friday afternoon. Personally I always travel with a SBB's multi-trip card, so I come out of the train at the border to staple it, but it isn't really comfortable.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #230
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
* in Venezia Mestre they don't sell tickets to Venezia Santa Lucia, without giving a reason. I saw two families of tourists (one Italian, one foreign) trying to buy tickets. I couldn't help them, as I don't know why these machines don't sell these tickets...
Strange... that might be a case for some specific trains like ES*City, which maybe don't allow passengers travelling between two stations in the same city. But for regional trains, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Suburbanist; September 10th, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #231
Coccodrillo

In Milan all stations within the municipal limit count as one, for regional traffic: tickets show only "Milano" as destination and are valid for any station.

It is probably the same in Venice, so that you cannot buy a ticket Mestre-Venice as, being the same municipality, they are considered to be the same thing. I don't know what should one do in this case...in Milan standard tickets for city transport can be used, but in Venice?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #232
A l e x
marochini putane casini

Likes (Received): 5868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Weird, that never happened to me. Venezia S.L. shows always up on top.
soldiRubati++;
}
A l e x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #233
Coccodrillo

Photos of the now closed Sulmona-Castel di Sangro-Carpinone line. There are two stations in Castel di Sangro, the other one being for the line to San Vito, closed in 2003. Despite all lines having been closed, works are progressing on a new track link between the two stations

http://www.miol.it/stagniweb/Foto6.a...Righe=50&Col=5

Old December 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #234
zaguric2
Hrvatsko Zagorje

Likes (Received): 137

Good railway structure!
zaguric2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #235
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Two videos in memory of the last passenger train between Italy and Slovenia that was cancelled a week ago.

And good old Casanova.

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #236
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
Two videos in memory of the last passenger train between Italy and Slovenia that was cancelled a week ago.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekXpGFYfnI">YouTube Link</a>

And good old Casanova.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGgj3nAafY">YouTube Link</a>
Not anymore Venice - Budapest eurostar? And local trains from Nova Gorica to Bled? Forever?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #237
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Not anymore Venice - Budapest eurostar? And local trains from Nova Gorica to Bled? Forever?
You mean EuroNight. No, Trenitalia cancelled it on 11th December for at least one year. There are still local trains between Nova Gorica and Bled, but that's in Slovenia. Passenger trains between Nova Gorica and Gorizia were cancelled in 1990s.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #238
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You mean EuroNight. No, Trenitalia cancelled it on 11th December for at least one year. There are still local trains between Nova Gorica and Bled, but that's in Slovenia. Passenger trains between Nova Gorica and Gorizia were cancelled in 1990s.
EuroNight trains are a relic of the past. It was good to see them gone.

They could think of a high-speed Venezia-Trieste-Lujbijlana rail link, instead of using old and slow railaways.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #239
Verso
Islander

Quote:
EuroNight trains are a relic of the past. It was good to see them gone.
Why? I think it's a good idea to spend a night sleeping on a train and arriving to a city in the morning than sleeping in an (expensive) hotel. Besides, it was better than nothing. I liked Casanova better, but it only ran from Venice to Ljubljana, not all the way to Budapest, so you still needed a night train.

Quote:
They could think of a high-speed Venezia-Trieste-Lujbijlana rail link, instead of using old and slow railaways.
That's part of the 6th TEN-T project, but we won't see it in a long time (at least not in Slovenia).
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #240
K_

Quote:
In that case Italy should stop making sure there will not be a market for such a train.

Tags
italy, trains