daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #301
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

It seems that there will be three daily trains between Milan-Genova-Monaco-Nice

http://www.webtrains.net/actualites....cle=1000003790

The company Thello will run them
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #302
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

A new flyover will be opened tomorrow in Napoli (yellow on the map below)

Source: ferrovieIT

----
Bonus pic from same website: new Frecciarossa logo on livery

FerrovieIT
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #303
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Looks like it would be used for avoiding Napoli Centrale. For what kind of traffic would that be useful?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #304
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Looks like it would be used for avoiding Napoli Centrale. For what kind of traffic would that be useful?
It connects the high speed rail from Roma to the higher speed rail to Salerno. It would allow through Roma-Salerno services not stopping (and reversing) in Napoli Centrale.

Old October 21st, 2013, 02:46 AM   #305
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Hi there.

Are there any fast services from Rome to Reggio Calabria?
Old October 21st, 2013, 03:55 AM   #306
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Hi there.

Are there any fast services from Rome to Reggio Calabria?
Direct ES (Freccia) trains between Roma and Reggio Calabria take 6:20 (3x day) calling at Napoli C., Salerno, Sapri, Paola, Lamezia Terme C., Vibo Valentia, Rosarno, Gioia Tauro, Villa San Giovanni. These trains use the HSL Roma-Napoli C-Salerno.

There is one faster service running it in 5:10 (1x day), calling only at Napoli C., Salerno, Paola, Lamezia Terme, Villa S. Giovanni. These trains use the HSL Roma-Napoli C-Salerno.

There are also 4 trains IC, they take 7h30 to complete the trip and they go via the old line (so you can actually depart later from Roma and take a connection with these IC in Salerno or Napoli, reducing the trip to 6h55-7h05 including a layover in Napoli Centrale).

On top of this, there are additional connections from Villa San Giovanni.

If they could reduce it to 4h, trains could be more competitive with air travel. With this new flyover, they could already run train in 4h45 instead of 5h10 by dropping Napoli C. More time can be won dropping additional stops of course.
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #307
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Mistake, please disregard.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM   #308
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A new flyover will be opened tomorrow in Napoli (yellow on the map below)

PM Napoli Afragola should become a passenger station sometimes in the future. A metro line is also planned to link.

PM means Posto di Movimento, where trains can be stopped to allow overtaking, crossings of the PM is on a single track line, and so on. Basically is a station where trains are neither loaded nor unloaded.

PC means Posto di Comunicazione, where the tracks of a line with more than one track are linked, but it doesn't allow to park trains.

PP means Posto di Passaggio, and it's where a double track line becomes single track outside of a station. One example of this is on the Parma-La Spezia line, where the double track ends north of La Spezia. Another is near San Remo. I think that in Italy most other double tracks ends in stations.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #309
aqualete

Likes (Received): 4

Un contributo a favore delle ferrovie italiane e siciliane. Buona lettura.

Il Pendolino in Sicilia a costo zero: la proposta dell'Associazione Ferrovie Siciliane
aqualete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #310
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

image hosted on flickr

DSCF4323 by Attus74, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

DSCF4246 by Attus74, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

DSCF4171 by Attus74, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

DSCF4160 by Attus74, on Flickr

SAS 16 liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #311
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

The commuter railway in Salerno (130,000 inhabitants) has finally opened after 14 years of works.
The line is 6 km long, has 6 stops and a single track. Trains travel every 30 minutes circa.

The timetable:

http://www.metrosalerno.com/orari

A report with some images:

http://www.ferrovie.it/ferrovie.vis/...vp.php?id=3261

The map:

friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #312
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Yesterday:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...ort-order.html

Ferrovia Circumetnea places Newag's first DMU export order

12 Dec 2013

ITALY: Polish rolling stock manufacturer Newag has finalised its first diesel multiple-unit export order, a €14·8m contract to supply at least four 950 mm gauge DMUs for Ferrovia Circumetnea's 110 km line around the Mount Etna volcano in Sicily.

Delivery is scheduled within 18 months, and Ferrovia Circumetnea has options valid for four years covering up to six more units which would take the total value to €40m.

Ferrovia Circumetnea originally awarded the DMU contract to Costa Sistemi Ferroviari, which subsequently hit financial problems. In September 2013 Newag decided to buy out the order. This required the approval of the Italian government, which was granted with effect from December 3.

The DMUs are to be produced in Poland to an updated version of CSF's design. They will have two diesel engines with electric transmission designed for a maximum speed of 100 km/h. They will have at least 100 seats, air-conditioning, CCTV and wheelchair-accessible toilets.

Newag has also announced the creation of an Italian after-sales business, which could take on former CSF employees.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #313
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Trains between Italy and Slovenia resume after two years (only to Villa Opicina though):

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #314
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Trains between Italy and Slovenia resume after two years (only to Villa Opicina though):
When I travelled that route a few years ago SZ trains also only went as far as Vila Opicina. A bus then brought us down to Trieste. How is it now?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #315
Verso
Islander

I guess you didn't take a Venice-Budapest train, those existed for 20 years. Yes, now you can go to Trieste by taking bus #39, which runs between both railway stations (Villa Opicina and Trieste Centrale), but I don't know if trains and buses are synchronized.
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #316
Coccodrillo

Quote:
but I don't know if trains and buses are synchronized
Apparently not.

Note that this is an Italian station only served by foreign trains terminating here. Quite a rarity, another one being Delle in France (served only by SBB at unconnected from the French network - although SNCF still manages to create bureaucratic issues to complicate SBB work...like allowing only certain types of trains in that station, which has no switches at all, being just a stub track).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #317
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I don't know why but Italian railway authorities are particularly averse to international traffic. I can't think of any other major system with poorer connections to neighbours...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #318
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Apparently not.

Note that this is an Italian station only served by foreign trains terminating here. Quite a rarity, another one being Delle in France (served only by SBB at unconnected from the French network - although SNCF still manages to create bureaucratic issues to complicate SBB work...like allowing only certain types of trains in that station, which has no switches at all, being just a stub track).
There is also Lendava in Slovenia with a railway only to Croatia (probably served only by HŽ, although I'm not sure). But I assume Italian freight trains drive through Villa Opicina as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I don't know why but Italian railway authorities are particularly averse to international traffic. I can't think of any other major system with poorer connections to neighbours...
SŽ wanted to run Siemens Desiros to Villa Opicina, but FS demands testing first, even though our Desiros already ran to Opicina ten years ago. So I guess this composition with a locomotive and a carriage only runs to Sežana where you change on a Desiro to Ljubljana (or a Fiat motor coach to Nova Gorica and Jesenice). By the way, the section between Villa Opicina and Sežana is served by SŽ, which is more favourable to international connections. On the other hand, the section between Gorizia and Nova Gorica is served by FS, so no passenger trains drive there.
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #319
Coccodrillo

Quote:
I can't think of any other major system with poorer connections to neighbours...
Spain and Portugal?

Although Italian border crossings where the service is still acceptable (I can't say "good") are those to Switzerland and Austria, only thanks to these, the Italian (germanophone...) province of Südtirol and Regione Lombardia.

However, the crossing of Tarvisio only has one or two passenger trains a day.

Quote:
There is also Lendava in Slovenia with a railway only to Croatia (probably served only by HŽ, although I'm not sure).
It is a freight only line, and once continued to Hungary. Only the ~5 km between Lendava and the last Hungarian station are closed.

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...ercegovina.gif

Quote:
But I assume Italian freight trains drive through Villa Opicina as well?
Yes, there are around 20 trains a day.

Quote:
So I guess this composition with a locomotive and a carriage only runs to Sežana where you change on a Desiro to Ljubljana
Yes.

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #320
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Yes, there are around 20 trains a day.
How do you know the number of freight trains there? Could you post a link to these data?

Tags
italy, trains