daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #621
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Venice airport rail link plans move forward
Thursday, March 10, 2016

PLANS to construct a rail link to Venice Marco Polo International Airport took step forward on March 9, when Mr Enrico Marchi, president of Venice Airport Company (SAVE) and Mr Maurizio Gentile, CEO of infrastructure manager Italian Railway Network (RFI) signed a memorandum of understanding in Rome on the planning, financing, and scheduling of the project

The airport line will branch off the Venice - Trieste line north of Mestre at a triangular junction, following the main airport access road, before looping beneath the airport in a tunnel to serve the passenger terminal

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #622
Noodles7

Likes (Received): 215

Orient express at Venezia Santa Lucia:

IMAG2515 by Noodlestaiwan7, on Flickr

IMAG2514 by Noodlestaiwan7, on Flickr

Some more Venezia Santa Lucia shots:

IMAG2521 by Noodlestaiwan7, on Flickr

IMAG2518 by Noodlestaiwan7, on Flickr

IMAG2517 by Noodlestaiwan7, on Flickr

Verso, Jasper90, worldwide70rm, brick84 liked this post
Noodles7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #623
Bad Worm

Likes (Received): 1470

What are the chances that in this year Zefiro will start operating at 360km/h? In 2015 it was said, that if all certificates will be obtained in a few months, it is possible to run with 360km/h somewhere in the middle of 2016.

mrsmartman liked this post
Bad Worm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #624
Holts

Likes (Received): 0

Rome to Sicily Excelsior rolling stock

A couple of questions please , earlier on this thread there was indication that the Trains from Northern Italy were no longer shunted on to the boat train at Villa San Giovani is that correct ?

I ask because Trenitalia suggests they still are , also it seems I can still book an Excelsior cabin on the ICN 1959 service from Rome , it comes up as an option , but I have also read Excelsior stock was scrapped as they had been robbed/ vandalised etc , don't fancy paying for something they can no longer offer.

Having experienced the end of carriage toilets on the Thello Paris Milan service which become quite ripe and interesting , having your own loo is quite appealing .

Generally thanks for some great quality pictures throughout the thread.
Holts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:26 AM   #625
davide84
Appassionato di trasporti

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Worm View Post
What are the chances that in this year Zefiro will start operating at 360km/h?
A few.

To operate at 360 km/h in commercial service a train must be tested at 110% of that speed, meaning 396 km/h. The current record is 385 (http://www.ferrovie.it/portale/leggi.php?id=1599) which would enable the train to be authorized travelling at 350 km/h.

The question is: where? At the present, no HS lines have been certified for commercial speed higher than 300 km/h, and I think that the timetable is not ready to accomodate it too. They're working on it... There are a few chances that at least one HS stretch will be authorized to 360 km/h before the end of the year, maybe the same Torino - Milano where they made the Italian record.

Le opere pubbliche in Veneto: "Se serve o no serve no m'interessa! A gente ga da moearghea!"

Bad Worm liked this post
davide84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:52 AM   #626
Bad Worm

Likes (Received): 1470

Thank You for the very useful informations!
Bad Worm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:54 AM   #627
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I think that Italo will also receive a speed boost once the speeds on the high speed lines goes up. After all, the AGV was one of the first trains to have a commercial design speed of 360 km/h and I am sure Alstom would love to see their train actually running at that speed somewhere in Europe.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:32 AM   #628
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16482

NTV bought a de-powered AGV, incapable of speeds higher than 300km/h.

They'd have to update each trainset.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 03:44 PM   #629
davide84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
it seems I can still book an Excelsior cabin on the ICN 1959 service from Rome , it comes up as an option , but I have also read Excelsior stock was scrapped as they had been robbed/ vandalised etc , don't fancy paying for something they can no longer offer.
I was curious and I asked a friend.

Apparently, there are cabins sold as "Excelsior 4", but they are not the same as the original "Excelsior 4" which have been scrapped some two years ago:
http://www.ferrovie.it/portale/leggi.php?id=3395
The "new" Excelsior coaches come from refurbishing of T3S/T2S coaches.

Le opere pubbliche in Veneto: "Se serve o no serve no m'interessa! A gente ga da moearghea!"
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #630
Holts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide84 View Post
I was curious and I asked a friend.

Apparently, there are cabins sold as "Excelsior 4", but they are not the same as the original "Excelsior 4" which have been scrapped some two years ago:
http://www.ferrovie.it/portale/leggi.php?id=3395
The "new" Excelsior coaches come from refurbishing of T3S/T2S coaches.

Thank you for that , kind of you to ask , I wondered why I was finding it hard to come across info , I had seen those pictures of the stock awaiting scrap , it's a shame because you would think there was sufficient business from tourism and domestic to keep up a service , I feel sure the drop in use is partially associated with the deteriorating quality , I will try and record and post info on the converted stock if anyone is interested.

There are of course faster daytime services but over the longer distances it still seems appealing to wake up at destination , albeit you miss the countryside .
Old April 1st, 2016, 12:17 PM   #631
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 49

Lately I took a train from Roma to Ancona. I saw some bridge structures and new rail substructure between Foligno and Falconara Marittima. Are they going to speed up the slow (compared to 160km/h) sections of track?
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:57 PM   #632
davide84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
it's a shame because you would think there was sufficient business from tourism and domestic to keep up a service , I feel sure the drop in use is partially associated with the deteriorating quality
AFAIK, those cars have been scrapped mainly due to performance problems. In those years it was not uncommon to invest money in small and expensive projects while at the same time the rail world was undergoing tremendous changes...

Anyway, night services have since been dismantled too. I like the idea of the night train, I remember a wonderful journey on the Caledonian Sleeper from Aberdeen to London... but that's another planet, in terms of both travel culture and service quality. In the continent, night services are being canceled in the Nederlands and Germany, too, with Switzerland protesting and Austria/OeBB possibily stepping in to save some relations.

There's a huge debate in Italy on night trains among enthusiasts, but the point is that Trenitalia acts as private company and can do whatever it wants...

Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM   #633
Holts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide84 View Post
AFAIK, those cars have been scrapped mainly due to performance problems. In those years it was not uncommon to invest money in small and expensive projects while at the same time the rail world was undergoing tremendous changes...

Anyway, night services have since been dismantled too. I like the idea of the night train, I remember a wonderful journey on the Caledonian Sleeper from Aberdeen to London... but that's another planet, in terms of both travel culture and service quality. In the continent, night services are being canceled in the Nederlands and Germany, too, with Switzerland protesting and Austria/OeBB possibily stepping in to save some relations.

There's a huge debate in Italy on night trains among enthusiasts, but the point is that Trenitalia acts as private company and can do whatever it wants...

Thanks , I found some pictures of some quite swish looking interiors for the original excelsior , the night trains are being withdrawn quickly across Europe as fast lines become the norm , to Sicily though the day train is still relatively slow , whether it would ever be economic to run a fast line down there would depend on the traffic figures , there does seem to be a number of existing daily trains running but are they well used ?

The Scottish sleeper has a new franchisee who are replacing all the stock which Will have to be worth a try the cost though is quite high .
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #634
brick84

Ferrovia Circumetnea (Railway surrounding Etna Vulcan), Sicily

by Roberto Meli su railpictures.net

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

AlexisMD, narkelion liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #635
Mokamal

Likes (Received): 4

Rome-Railway

News from Prime Minister Matteo Renzi:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...o-reboot-italy

dimlys1994 liked this post
Mokamal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #636
IThomas

Possible marriage between ANAS and FS could reshape Italy's transport sector
Il Sole 24 Ore

The plan of a “marriage” between Italy's state railways company Ferrovie dello Stato (FS) and ANAS  is on the table of their relative ministries (Economy and Transport), but the road to take has not yet been decided.

Unsurprisingly, Renato Mazzoncini, the head of FS, has only gone as far as saying “this is a suggestive and interesting idea,” and “talks are ongoing, synergies are particularly high.” Gianni Armani, president of ANAS, said “there are many analogies in the operating model of Ferrovie and ANAS. By working together we can do better.”

So it looks like the two state controlled companies may be on the way to a merger. If it leads to the creation of “a network company,” the FS CEO would not say no to the idea, provided that everything remains “within the FS holding.” He added that any option “would be neutral to the (planned stock market) listing of the company: any transaction can be done if it allows the group to keep adequate levels of profitability.”

There is a variety of possibilities, but there are only few clear parameters for now. What is certain, however, is that FS aims to make the company an integrated business, dealing with “everything that moves,” to quote Mazzoncini. “What I'm interested in is the public transportation service in Rome, ATAC, the largest Italian market, and it would be absurd that a group like FS was not interested in it,” the CEO said.

IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:08 PM   #637
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

500 nuovi posti nelle Ferrovie dello Stato 2016 piano assunzioni info e come presentare una candidatura spontanea

http://www.entercv.com/500-nuovi-pos...ura-spontanea/

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #638
brick84

Lercara Friddi (PA), Sicily

by Roberto Meli su railpictures.net

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Old May 14th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #639
brick84

Ferrovia Circumetnea, Sicily

'Adrano Nord' railway station

https://www.facebook.com/circumetnea.metro/?fref=ts

Old May 14th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #640
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Note the stairway down to the platform, and the wide space between the tracks despite the narrow gauge. That's because there is a long term plan to rebuild the line to standard gauge and integrate it into Catania's metro. Just the suburban part, however, the outer section will remain a 950 mm gauge diesel line.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

brick84 liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
italy, trains