daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #61
New York Morning
BANNED
 
New York Morning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,294
Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Everyone hotlinks in the city photos subforum (not to mention countless other subforums), I don't see why it's a problem here. It's legal under fair use, since he's using it for an educational purpose and not profiting from them. People here have hotlinked for years and this forum has never had a problem with copyright, in fact, it's greatly welcomed! Great work, New York Morning!
Thank you, friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
he's using it for an educational purpose and not profiting from them.
You are one of thouse, who understand the main idea of this threads
New York Morning no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #62
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Everyone hotlinks in the city photos subforum (not to mention countless other subforums), I don't see why it's a problem here. It's legal under fair use, since he's using it for an educational purpose and not profiting from them. People here have hotlinked for years and this forum has never had a problem with copyright, in fact, it's greatly welcomed!
It seems you haven't read the entire discussion. The issue is NOT that he's hotlinking to copyrighted pictures, it's that he's hotlinking to ILLEGAL COPIES of copyrighted pictures (just look at the properties of the pictures in question, and you'll see they do not come from railpictures.net). If he had hotlinked to the original photos, there woudn't have been a problem.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #63
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 6894

What's wrong with uploading the pics onto tinypic to prevent hotlink disruption? I upload pics all the time from bohai forum onto photobucket just in case if they shut off hotlinking, or run out of bandwidth, etc... Again, it's legal under fair use, since he's stating the source, using it for an educational purpose, and not profiting from them. I'm sure the photographer would appreciate seeing his photos become so famous appearing on the most visited forum in the world.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #64
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
What's wrong with uploading the pics onto tinypic to prevent hotlink disruption?
It's called stealing. You know, theft. The illegal thing?

Quote:
Again, it's legal under fair use,
No, it isn't. Seriously, I posted the website's photo usage policy on here, it doesn't leave even the least bit of doubt. I suggest you go re-read it.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #65
JOVANO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 110
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
What?

I'm 30, btw. How old are you?

BTW, quite a few of the trains in your pictures are not, in fact, Luxembourg trains. In your last post, the first and third trains are French, while the second and last ones are German. Throughout the rest of your pictures I also notice a lot of Belgian trains. Some are even Belgian trains in Belgium, of types that never go to Luxembourg!

Keep cool teach, this whole website/forum is full of pictures taken here and there.

You want to make this a lawyers forum or what ??

Are you 30? Really ?
JOVANO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #66
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

Okay holdup. Let me get this straight. Sorry to jump into your little fight.

Teach, you singled out this thread out of all other New York Morning threads? to LITERALLY spam IT with your incessant whining????

I mean, TEACH is kind of right. But this has been happening for years. RailPictures has NEVER complained. So unless you're a lawyer looking for some extra cash, LEAVE NYMorning ALONE.

I mean, we do the same thing in the PR sub-forums with Aviation pictures. No biggie. I guess that is why they put their watermarks on the pictures.

You should be thanking NYMorning for the effort he put into looking for the photos

But no, your intentions are to spread this fight for pages until NY takes off the photos, which that will never happen. What are you going to do after that? Visit all the other threads on SSC with pics from RailPictures and PRAviation? It sounds like you're paranoid with this one thread. I mean do you realize all the people that appreciate this service that NYMorning is doing for us? Educating us about trains around the world.

Many of us aren't going to say much cause we [frankly] don't know what to say about Luxembourg apart that it's a lovely country, but I just thought NYMorning should know that [almost] all of us appreciate the hard labor you put into uploading these photos.

I mean I can imagine these photos going for $50,000 on ebay and you're fighting over ad revenue that's not even yours.

That was sarcasm. My tip of the hat to NYM for the photos he has posted from other websites.

®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®
℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗℗
©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©

©O℗Y®IGHT WALL
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #67
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

It's a pity you guys are perfectly ok with what has long been established to be illegal. And, once more (as it seems most people here barge in here without reading the thread properly) the problem is NOT that he links to pictures from railpictures, it's that he DOESN'T.

Quote:
But no, your intentions are to spread this fight for pages until NY takes off the photos, which that will never happen. What are you going to do after that? Visit all the other threads on SSC with pics from RailPictures and PRAviation? It sounds like you're paranoid with this one thread. I mean do you realize all the people that appreciate this service that NYMorning is doing for us? Educating us about trains around the world.
First: chill out. And re-read the thread: I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with him posting pictures from railpictures.net, or any other original content site. The problem is that he does not do that. He links to illegal copies.

Funny that you mention 'the aviation pictures', by which I assume you mean pictures from sites like a.net and jp.net. I am an active member of a.net, and have been for many years, and I know for a fact that the practices like what we see here in this thread and the others by the same member are a MAJOR eyesoar for a.net and many of its photographers. In fact, more than a few photographers have already stopped uploading pictures online because of this. So these careless practices are in the end doing nothing more than hurting us, the people who just want to look at the pictures.

Let's get this very, very straight, once and for all: I do NOT want New York Morning to stop posting pictures, I simply want him to do it the LEGAL way, which doesn't take a second more to do than doing it the illegal way, it's actually easier and faster! The reason why I'm hammering this down so much here is very simple: I would like to still be able to watch and enjoy these pictures and many more like them in five years time, and I would still like there to be sites around like a.net, railpictures, and jp.net, where photographers are kind enough to upload their photos, free for all of us to see.

It's pretty simple: if you want to post a picture, ALWAYS link to the ORIGINAL. It really isn't hard to do.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #68
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
It's called stealing. You know, theft. The illegal thing?
How can you steal something that's free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
No, it isn't. Seriously, I posted the website's photo usage policy on here, it doesn't leave even the least bit of doubt. I suggest you go re-read it.
Do you even know what fair use is?
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #69
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
and I know for a fact that the practices like what we see here in this thread and the others by the same member are a MAJOR eyesoar for a.net and many of its photographers. In fact, more than a few photographers have already stopped uploading pictures online because of this. So these careless practices are in the end doing nothing more than hurting us, the people who just want to look at the pictures.
Then so be it. If their ego gets hurt so much that they stop posting pics online because their screenname wasn't referenced, then there will be hundreds of other photographers willing to fill the void. I, for one feel quite proud when my photos make it to other forums, even when my screenname isn't referenced. If they don't want to contribute something to society, well, it's only their loss.

In short, it's the INTERNET goddammit! Everything is allowed!
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #70
Curry4Ever
Registered User
 
Curry4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 135
Likes (Received): 1

woops.. excuse me
Curry4Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #71
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
It's a pity you guys are perfectly ok with what has long been established to be illegal. And, once more (as it seems most people here barge in here without reading the thread properly) the problem is NOT that he links to pictures from railpictures, it's that he DOESN'T.


First: chill out. And re-read the thread: I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with him posting pictures from railpictures.net, or any other original content site. The problem is that he does not do that. He links to illegal copies.

Funny that you mention 'the aviation pictures', by which I assume you mean pictures from sites like a.net and jp.net. I am an active member of a.net, and have been for many years, and I know for a fact that the practices like what we see here in this thread and the others by the same member are a MAJOR eyesoar for a.net and many of its photographers. In fact, more than a few photographers have already stopped uploading pictures online because of this. So these careless practices are in the end doing nothing more than hurting us, the people who just want to look at the pictures.

Let's get this very, very straight, once and for all: I do NOT want New York Morning to stop posting pictures, I simply want him to do it the LEGAL way, which doesn't take a second more to do than doing it the illegal way, it's actually easier and faster! The reason why I'm hammering this down so much here is very simple: I would like to still be able to watch and enjoy these pictures and many more like them in five years time, and I would still like there to be sites around like a.net, railpictures, and jp.net, where photographers are kind enough to upload their photos, free for all of us to see.

It's pretty simple: if you want to post a picture, ALWAYS link to the ORIGINAL. It really isn't hard to do.
No, it is you who needs to chill out. You are spamming this with your whining. It needs to stop NOW.

If you're discouraged to post your pics because of our actions, then it seems you have learned your lesson. Watermark everything and best case scenario don't upload at all. Even if you take preventative measure so people can't hotlink they can dl the images or screenshot them. I am a photographer so I know what some of you are going through. However, I've only been on these forums for 7 months and I understand how stuff rolls here and how the web works in GENERAL. Not everyone is a saint who will post links to their photos. I'm sorry but you just come off really paranoid presenting your issue in one thread and only one thread.

Did you try contacting NYM privately before going public with your accusations? Try doing this in one of the bigger threads. I've posted over 1,000 pictures of Puerto Rico that I took myself on these forums. You are welcome to go "borrow" them if you like. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=945

You can even forget your manners and NOT post a link to the photo.

However, Teach is right. Links should be posted to their respective photos. It's only right and just. I will not scold anyone who doesn't do this.

Teach I'm not mad because of what you're saying about the links. I'm frustrated you keep arguing about it. This is the World forum. If anything, you're jeopardizing this thread and these photos that were looked for will just vanish. Any trace of this conversation. Lost. And for what?

I say we put an end to this now.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #72
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
How can you steal something that's free?
It isn't free. Free to WATCH, yes, free to USE, no.

Quote:
Do you even know what fair use is?
Do you even know what terms of use are?

Quote:
Then so be it. If their ego gets hurt so much that they stop posting pics online because their screenname wasn't referenced, then there will be hundreds of other photographers willing to fill the void. I, for one feel quite proud when my photos make it to other forums, even when my screenname isn't referenced. If they don't want to contribute something to society, well, it's only their loss.
It's nothing to do with 'ego'. For many of these photographers, their photos are a source of income. They sell them, and use sites like a.net as a gallery. Popularity of a picture (and thus, market value) is determined in part by the number of views it gets. If you link to their original pictures, you increase the number of views they get. If you illegally copy the pictures, upload them to another site and then link to them, you don't.

Quote:
No, it is you who needs to chill out. You are spamming this with your whining. It needs to stop NOW.
Who made you a moderator?

You're accusing me of spamming, yet in the same post you ask me why I don't do this in many other threads. I don't do this in other threads because I want to concentrate it in one place, and precisely because I do not want to spam the entire board with this. And I keep hammering on about it precisely because NYM flat-out refuses to get what this is about.

Quote:
Teach I'm not mad because of what you're saying about the links. I'm frustrated you keep arguing about it. This is the World forum. If anything, you're jeopardizing this thread and these photos that were looked for will just vanish. Any trace of this conversation. Lost. And for what?
So that people will learn their lesson, and stop linking to illegal copies of pictures, especially when they can just as easily link to the original pictures.

Once again: it really isn't all that hard, and will ensure that we will be able to keep on enjoying such pictures for years to come.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #73
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
It's nothing to do with 'ego'. For many of these photographers, their photos are a source of income. They sell them, and use sites like a.net as a gallery. Popularity of a picture (and thus, market value) is determined in part by the number of views it gets. If you link to their original pictures, you increase the number of views they get. If you illegally copy the pictures, upload them to another site and then link to them, you don't.
I don't know who in their right mind would pay for a photograph nowadays, but since it is supposedly affecting their income, NYM should give the link to the original if he found it from there. But he didn't, and he was courteous enough to say which website they came from, and that's beyond the level of referencing needed for fair use. Whatever their specific copyright policy is doesn't matter, fair use allows you to use all photos if you're not profiting from them and using them for an educational purpose, and he even went beyond the minimum justification required by referencing where the photos are from. I only link from "amateur" photosites anyway, from a land where there is no such thing as copyright
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #74
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Whatever their specific copyright policy is doesn't matter, fair use allows you to use all photos if you're not profiting from them and using them for an educational purpose,
I suggest you read up on exactly what fair use is, because what you stated here most certainly isn't what it is.

Quote:
I don't know who in their right mind would pay for a photograph nowadays
Newspapers, magazines, professional websites, airlines, advertising agencies, the list goes on.

Last edited by Teach; August 20th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM   #75
Ale Sasso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Genoa
Posts: 199
Likes (Received): 0

Please, can we return to luxemburgers railways?
Obviously by ORIGINAL links...
Ale Sasso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM   #76
New York Morning
BANNED
 
New York Morning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,294
Likes (Received): 423

Guys!



New York Morning no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #77
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Funny, very funny.

Too bad it still doesn't seem to have sunk in why I started this in the first place though. If it had, there'd be no need for me to keep this up.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #78
JOVANO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 110
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Funny, very funny.

Too bad it still doesn't seem to have sunk in why I started this in the first place though. If it had, there'd be no need for me to keep this up.
Teach, you are really a DROL.

Stop it.

Or go to the Tadjekistan Raiway tread, which nobody reads.

Your bullshit is not interesting.
Are you a SABAM addict???? Shame on you..
JOVANO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM   #79
Ale Sasso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Genoa
Posts: 199
Likes (Received): 0

Basta per favore!!!

- Teach is RIGHT, the law is the law. Also here in Intenet.
- Many people don't care about this
- This topic is for LUXEMBURG railways
- To link correctly a picture is absolutely easy
- NYM's is a great work and I thank he
- NYM, in the future, will continue this great work with correct links, wouldn't he?
Ale Sasso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #80
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Teach, you are really a DROL.

Stop it.

Or go to the Tadjekistan Raiway tread, which nobody reads.

Your bullshit is not interesting.
Are you a SABAM addict???? Shame on you..
Ach, subtiele beledigingen. Hoe lief. Erg volwassen ook. En toch weet je goed genoeg dat ik eigenlijk doodgewoon gelijk heb. Mijn doelstelling is erg simpel: ervoor zorgen dat hij stopt met op die illegale manier foto's te posten. En kijk eens aan: sinds ik hier beginnen posten ben, heeft hij dat niet meer gedaan. Missie geslaagd dus. De enigen die hier nu de boel nog in leven houden zijn degenen die, na twee dagen, deze discussie opnieuw uit het slijk sleuren om de ander niet heel erg subtiel te beledigen.

Ale sasso: thank you. All I want is for him to do things the correct way from now on. And I'm not the one keeping this discussion alive, that's the people who, instead of looking at the simple facts, would rather drag a dead thread out of the gutter every few days to take another swipe at me.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
luksemburg, luxembourg, trains

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium