daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #101
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

All details here :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirken...B8rnevatn_Line

Fascinating story...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #102
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
There are instances of such railways being disconnected from anything else in other places in Australia, Africa, and the US.
Among which a few electrified ones, like the Deseret Power Railway, the Black
Mesa & Lake Powell, the Navajo mire railroad, running between a mine and a
power plant, and sporting what are probably the last GE E60 electric
locomotives in commercial service. Real gems, they are...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #103
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

There has been discussions about connecting it either to Finland via the proposed Arctic Ocean Line from Rovaniemi. Also there are those wanting to connect it to the Russian terminus at Nikel, a mere 40 km away. This has met opposition from the port in Murmansk, who fears loosing business to Kirkenes.

The mine closed down a few weeks ago, so I guess there's very little traffic at the moment.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #104
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Norwegian trainset BM73 in continental europe

This is the NSB 73-03 trainset in Rostock, Germany on its way back to Norway after completed renovations in the Netherlands.

I wonder why they transported it on the ferry Rostock-Trelleborg and not across the bridges through Denmark.

The BM73 in Haarlem, Netherlands.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #105
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3708

Any updates?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #106
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Clearly I haven't paid enough attention about the InterCity triangle. I just posted this in the Swedish thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Whoever draw this map certainly saw a bright new future for Bohusbanan. The orange line on the Norwegian side maps the south-eastern branch of "Intercity-trianglet", the major Norwegian railroad investment towards 2030, upgraded to 200 km/h track (was originally planned for 250 km/h). If Bohusbanan was up to scratch hook it on and you'd be good to go to Gothenburg in, if not exactly high-speed, at least comfortable car-beating speed. Or so the map designer and I would have thought.

This was the original plan:

Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad are two rivalling cities that over time have grown together into one "tätort", bit like Uddevalla/Trollhättan/Vänersborg. With an upgraded line it would make sense to take the route Moss-Sarpsborg-Fredrikstad, instead of the historical detour Moss-Fredrikstad-Sarpsborg. The railroad friendly parties wanted to extend to Halden (pop 30k), or in this map actually Kornsjø, the border town. The not-so-hidden agenda was to get reasonably good rail connection all the way to the border. You can see on the map above how the orange line takes a different route from Moss to Sarpsborg to Strömstad.

But at some point when I had my back turned somebody lobbied back, so this is the current plan:

The motorway goes uninterrupted in a fairly straight line from Oslo to Gothenburg, making it harder for the detouring railroad to compete. A more hardcore solution would be to later construct a direct shortcut through the upopulated area Ski-Sarpsborg at highest economical speed and technology. Maybe the Norwegians in 2030 will have money for that.
The route Moss-Fredrikstad-Sarpsborg (instead of Moss-Sarpsborg-Fredrikstad) must have been selected a good while back. When and why did that happen?

dimlys1994 liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #107
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Since it's called Intercity, skipping the largest city would not be popular politics.

In a twist of events Halden does not appear to want a new railroad station/line - and now they have hired someone from Deutsche bahn making proposals for a Svinesund - Strömstad connection.
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #108
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #109
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=527

Jernbaneverket to build emergency terminal
Monday, August 15, 2016

NORWAY’s infrastructure manager Jernbaneverket has begun an of a 2.8 km section of the Bergen Railway between Voss and Palma Foss, where an emergency terminal is being built

The terminal is being constructed in the case of extreme weather conditions or other natural disasters so that freight can be transhipped to trucks when necessary

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

8166UY, Zaz965, Tågälskaren liked this post
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #110
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Since it's called Intercity, skipping the largest city would not be popular politics.

In a twist of events Halden does not appear to want a new railroad station/line - and now they have hired someone from Deutsche bahn making proposals for a Svinesund - Strömstad connection.
It wouldn't be skipping, it would be branching. One branch Moss-Sarpsborg-Halden-the world, one branch Moss-Sarpsborg-Fredrikstad, the latter would likely have more traffic than the former, but the former would have the long-distance traffic. I could imagine some local trains serving the towns on the old/new track as well, at least during commute hours.

A more radical approach would be a direct line Ski-Sarpsborg, bypassing Moss and Fredrikstad in quest of the straight line. It would be all forest, so it would only make sense for long-distance rail Gothenburg/Malmö/Copenhagen/Hamburg, and turn Ski-Moss-Fredrikstad-Sarpsborg to the local/intercity rail branch. The Moss-Fredrikstad-Sarpsborg makes that approach more likely, but very far off in the future, given that intercity -Halden is 2030 at best.

An alternative would be Ski-Askim-Sarpsborg, slightly less of a straight line, but a possible start of Oslo-Askim-Kil-Karlstad.

The map above uses an airline symbol for the Rygge station, fairly rich as the planned station is far from the airport, but with the current state of the airport it may not matter so much anyway.

I haven't heard of any opposition to the train line in Halden, link? I have seen other municipalities wanting priority for secondary lines rather than the outer intercity (in Norwegian).

That would be green (and blue?) rather than red on this map.

dimlys1994, Stafangr liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #111
Ingenioren

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
I haven't heard of any opposition to the train line in Halden, link?
http://www.ha-halden.no/torgeir-haug.../s/5-20-190867

Basicly there was only thing in the local newspaper during a period of the summer how the new railway would ruin the town etc....
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #112
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

TBMs start drilling Scandinavia’s longest rail tunnel
Wednesday, September 07, 2016

THE first two of four tunnel boring machines (TBMs) which will be used to build 18.5km of twin-bore tunnel on the 22km Follo Line between Oslo and Ski were officially launched by Norway’s prime minister Mrs Erna Solberg and transport minister Mr Ketil Solvik-Olsen on September 5

The 150m-long TBMs were built by Herrenknecht, Germany, and dismantled for shipping to Norway before being reassembled in a shaft at Åsland. The TBMs have been designed specifically to operate in the challenging geological conditions of the Ekebergåsen

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

tomPunk liked this post
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:20 PM   #113
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

No more trains on the Rauma-line

Green Cargo cancels the freight train service on the Rauma-line.

It's not possible to continue the train-service under the current conditions.

The last departure will be on December 9th from Åndalsnes. A town located about 170km southwest of Trondheim.

According to Green Cargo the reason for closure is that the train route is not profitable anymore. Besides that the Rauma-line has a low priority of track distribution at the railway terminal in Alnabru.

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #114
Ingenioren

Trains now run trough new Holmestrand station:

Now every town will want one of these ofcourse, basicly giving a small town of 7000 people Norways greatest train station i guess will seem unfair to many larger towns (Who has been denied underground solutions)
Old December 1st, 2016, 01:00 AM   #115
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Metro in Stavanger NOW!
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #117
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post

Metro in Stavanger NOW!
That's not such a bad idea.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #118
Ingenioren

U mean Stavanger doesn't have underground station? :P

dimlys1994, Woonsocket54 liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #119
Fluxter

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Now every town will want one of these ofcourse, basicly giving a small town of 7000 people Norways greatest train station i guess will seem unfair to many larger towns (Who has been denied underground solutions)
It's quite frustrating in my opinion. People seem to think that it's simple to just copy/paste the Holmestrand solution to other cities. Like Hamar and Tønsberg.

However, they don't seem to realize that Holmestrand happens to have a large mountain with robust rock in an almost perfect "close to the center of town"-location. You can't magically make good ground conditions for tunnells magically appear beneath the ground in other places.

It seems so unlikely that Tønsberg - Larvik and a station in Hamar will ever be built at this point. :/

stingstingsting, Galro liked this post
Fluxter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #120
btrs

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Trains now run trough new Holmestrand station:

Shame the Italians didn't take any inspiration of this station when building the ugly underground stations on their newly tunneled sections (San Remo, Torino PS AV underground, Bologna Centrale AV underground)..
btrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway, trains