daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #181
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Gyeongbu HSR Aerial View

ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #182
ruready1000

Small or Simple Stations in Korea

Nampyeong Station | Gyeongjeon Line | Manned, Registered Cultural Properties

Myeongbong Station | Gyeongjeon Line | Unmanned

Bukcheon Station | Gyeongjeon Line | Manned

source
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #183
ruready1000

Small or Simple Stations in Korea

Bulguksa Station | Donghae-Nambu Line | Unmanned

Sabang Station | Donghae-Nambu Line | Unmanned

source
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #184
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Are the Bulguksa Station buildings from the Japanese colonial era? And do you know why Nampyeong Station is a registered cultural property?
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #185
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
Are the Bulguksa Station buildings from the Japanese colonial era? And do you know why Nampyeong Station is a registered cultural property?
According to Korail website, Bulguksa station was opened in November, 1918. And the current station was built in December, 1936.

Registered Cultural Heritage
Quote:
The Registered Cultural Heritage refers to architectural structures or monumental facilities of early modern or modern times, that have significant values and thus need to be preserved.

Source : Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea
Nampyeong Staton
Quote:
  • Classification : Registered Culture No. 299
  • Quantity : 90.6㎡
  • Designated Date : 2006.12.04
  • Owner : Korail and Ministry of Construction & Transportation(Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs)
  • Description :

The station started its work in December, 1930 as a summary station and was promoted to an ordinary station in May 1948 and was destroyed by fire in 1950 due to the Yeosu Rebellion Incident and was reconstructed in July 1956.

The direction to the plaza of Nampyeong Station is the rear side and the direction to the railroad is the front side which looks comparatively simple.

The projecting roof of the office of the station staff is moim-roof not matbae-roof, which is very exceptional. The material of the roof is wrinkled tin, but panel-styled material was used for the extended part of the roof.

Below the gable part where the waiting-room is located along the railroad, canopy was put and the windows were made on the left side.

At the beginning, the wooden window frames were used, but now aluminum chassis is substituted for wood.

The plan of the railroad designates diverse forms of architecture.

The gable-roof on the waiting room, the roof which covers the projecting space of the front part of the office of station staff and the long marquee-roof in front of the waiting room designate the form of the building very distinctly.

The pillars supporting the marquee-roof were put with a brace at the part of the ceiling in order to endure long.

Source : Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #186
Gag Halfrunt

Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #187
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

ruready thank you for the very nice pics of the tidy rural stations, these have more character than any modern ones that honestly could be located any where in the world. If you find any stations that still use semaphore signals, please post them.

Quote:
Are the Bulguksa Station buildings from the Japanese colonial era?
Though these stations may have seen rebuilding over their lives, I can detect the subtle Japanese design origins in some small details. For example the disused freight siding and platform at Bulguksa Sta., the wooden station signs on the platforms, yellow/black striping of crossing sleepers, and coloring of switchstand target indicators. Taiwan railways has even stronger elements left over as a result of its Japanese colonial origins (most notably, 1067mm gauge).
k.k.jetcar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #188
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
ruready thank you for the very nice pics of the tidy rural stations, these have more character than any modern ones that honestly could be located any where in the world. If you find any stations that still use semaphore signals, please post them.
According to unofficial information, there are only two stations, Samhwa and Jupyeong station.

Samhwa Station

source

semaphore signal on road. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Though these stations may have seen rebuilding over their lives, I can detect the subtle Japanese design origins in some small details. For example the disused freight siding and platform at Bulguksa Sta., the wooden station signs on the platforms, yellow/black striping of crossing sleepers, and coloring of switchstand target indicators. Taiwan railways has even stronger elements left over as a result of its Japanese colonial origins (most notably, 1067mm gauge).
Many small stations, as you said, were built in Japanese colonial period and have not been rebuilt due to the declining passenger numbers so that there are many resemblance between them.

source

This station is old Naju station not in use. It's a rare case that old station is well-preserved.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #189
ruready1000

Janghang Line | tv clips

Old Gokseong Station | tv clip

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #190
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Wow, those pictures are wonderful! Korea look really pretty, actually. I had no idea what to expect of the country
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #191
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Wow, those pictures are wonderful! Korea look really pretty, actually. I had no idea what to expect of the country
Agreed. I need to take a second look at Korea; I came here twice during the winter and I thought it was the dullest and ugliest thing I've ever seen.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #192
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Agreed. I need to take a second look at Korea; I came here twice during the winter and I thought it was the dullest and ugliest thing I've ever seen.
You should come in the warmer months when everything is much greener. Northeast Asia can be quite drab and gray in winter.

*Ruready, thank you for the addt'l pics, including the preserved station!
k.k.jetcar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #193
ruready1000

Speeding up Incheon Airport Railroad

According to KR(Kora Rail Network Authority), several measures to vitalize Incheon Airport Railroad passed through the pre-evaluation(preliminary feasibility study).
  • Improving track, signal, electric equipment to enable 120km/h travel speed.
  • Replacing the current 110 km/h trains with new 180km/h trains.
  • Diversifying destinations
    - Current : Seoul station
    - Adding : Yongsan station
  • Securing direct connection
    - KTX and Incheon Airport Railroad via Gyeongui Line(extending KTX service to Incheon Airport and North Incheon)
    - Line 9 and Incheon Airport Railroad
  • Incorporating the fare of some section into Seoul Metropolitan Integrated Fare System

Anway Incheon Airport Railroad phase 2 was completed and will begin operation on December, 29.

KTX Sancheon running on Maseok Bridge(Incheon Airport Railroad)

KTX Sancheon test run on Incheon Airport Railroad
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #194
ruready1000

Tv Drama Clips Set In Small Station

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #195
Gag Halfrunt

Bad continuity in the first clip. The train crossing the bridge has an electric locomotive, but the driver's point of view shots were filmed on an unelectrified line.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #196
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
Bad continuity in the first clip. The train crossing the bridge has an electric locomotive, but the driver's point of view shots were filmed on an unelectrified line.
You are right. As you can see in the clips, the station itself has no catenary.

Anyway the actual station named as Migang station in this drama is Hwabon station on Jungang Line. See this blog.
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #197
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Speeding up Incheon Airport Railroad

According to KR(Kora Rail Network Authority), several measures to vitalize Incheon Airport Railroad passed through the pre-evaluation(preliminary feasibility study).
  • Improving track, signal, electric equipment to enable 120km/h travel speed.
  • Replacing the current 110 km/h trains with new 180km/h trains.
  • Diversifying destinations
    - Current : Seoul station
    - Adding : Yongsan station
  • Securing direct connection
    - KTX and Incheon Airport Railroad via Gyeongui Line(extending KTX service to Incheon Airport and North Incheon)
    - Line 9 and Incheon Airport Railroad
  • Incorporating the fare of some section into Seoul Metropolitan Integrated Fare System
Seriously, it's no fun when even on the express trains you are being passed by cars and buses on the adjoining highway...

Another item I'd add to the list: move the station into the terminal at Incheon!
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #198
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
Seriously, it's no fun when even on the express trains you are being passed by cars and buses on the adjoining highway...

Another item I'd add to the list: move the station into the terminal at Incheon!
I've never used Incheon Airport Railroad, but I can understand your feeling. I think moving the station into the terminal is impossible or will be very expensive(if possible). Installing moving walk on the passage, considering that the current station is not far from the terminal, will be good option.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #199
ruready1000

TV Program about Mokpo station and 2km-long Samhakdo Line in Mokpo.

Samhakdo Line was constructed to transport cargo(mostly coal) from and to Mokpohang station(or Mokpo Port statio). This line is practically the only remaining railway in korea, which runs closely on street level. Due to the low demand of coal, rail services have been constantly decreased and it will stop operation from next year.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #200
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
I've never used Incheon Airport Railroad, but I can understand your feeling. I think moving the station into the terminal is impossible or will be very expensive(if possible). Installing moving walk on the passage, considering that the current station is not far from the terminal, will be good option.
They already have moving walkways. Anyway, nothing is impossible in Korea. And they could sell the current station to pay for the new one--it would make for a nice performance venue.
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote